Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Dragon Blade ❯ Chapter Five: Your Own Worst Enemy ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Yu-Gi-Oh! is owned by its creator, Kabuki Takahashi and it's respective anime companies. I'm borrowing the characters and ideas for a nonprofit fan fiction written solely for the enjoyment of myself, and hopefully others.

The Dragon Blade

Chapter Five: Your Own Worst Enemy

By: Elf

Yami watched as the Ouija's pointer flew around the board, rocketing wildly from side to side. Above him, the letter D burned in the air as if it had been branded. He sighed as he shifted in his chains again.

He missed the voice of his hikari in his mind. He felt almost empty without Yugi's calming presence along side of him and the reassurance that he wasn't alone, locked in the prison of the Puzzle.

He hadn't realized that Seth had been so angry.

He sighed in frustration.

Everything would be so much easier if he could just remember why Seth was so angry with him. All he could recall were vague impressions of a white-haired thief and a feeling of respectful rivalry, and perhaps even friendship, for one foreign priest. He knew that wishing was hopeless in this sort of situation.

The King of Games cursed at his helplessness as the pointer continued to spin.

******

Seto Kaiba was not in a good mood.

In fact, he was far from it. In all actuality, he was down right pissed.

He had his back against the wall in a game he really didn't want to play. However, part of him was enjoying this immensely. His mind was rapidly going through and creating different strategies to win, to conquer, and to regain his honor.

He had wanted to meet Seth. He wanted to see this ancient incarnation of himself with his own eyes. He wanted to take Seth's measure before beating him into the ground, just like every other Duelist he had come across before.

Except, this time, it was for real and not on a holographic playing field.

He looked down at the shining blade tilted across the pale hollow of his borrowed body's throat. He chuckled for a moment and closed his eyes, reflecting in the sheer irony of it all. He thought, How many times have I had the Dark Magician in the same situation in a Duel, only to be here myself?



"I asked you a question, Magician," Seth sneered as the blade gently bit into his throat.

Kaiba opened his eyes and looked at himself.

He realized that was very odd, looking at himself as an outsider. He cut a rather imposing figure, if he said so himself. He faintly realized that he was actually quite handsome, something he really hadn't noticed before. He realized that he looked rather smug and arrogant as well.

He mused, "So, this is what every opponent I face sees."

"What are you talking about? Who are you?" Seth snapped, blinking and frowning in confusion.

Kaiba smiled as he realized he was the one on the attack now. He also noted that while it was obvious that Seth knew how to use the sword, he didn't have the skill that Kaiba had. Kaiba quickly calculated that he could disarm his other without causing any harm to his body, himself, or Serenity.

Kaiba answered, "The rightful owner of that body."

"So, you're Seto Kaiba. It is an honor to meet you," Seth replied with a respectful lowering of his head.

Kaiba sneered, "I assure you, Priest, it's one sided."

"At least I'm not trapped in the body of my rival's personal guardian," Seth retorted with a sardonic grin.

Touche, Kaiba thought as he bantered back, "So says the one who is now Bakura's lackey. I have to admit that servitude seems more of your style."

Seth asked, "So, are you here to save your lover? Or do you wish to tell her good bye before she becomes my consort?"

Kaiba heard Serenity gasp behind him and knew that she was probably blushing intensely. Kaiba snorted, "I have to admit that you have good taste in women."

"Something that we have in common, as well as having that damned pharaoh as our enemy," Seth spat in distaste.

Kaiba took that moment to strike. He rocked back on his heels and swung the staff up to push away the sword. He pivoted toward Seth and used his own momentum to knock the overbalanced priest off of his feet.

At least, that would have been the outcome if Seth hadn't blocked the blow with the sword.

Kaiba sprang back and spun the staff in his hands. He lowered his center of gravity, a hard feat in the insanely tall body, and took Seth's measure. Seth did the same and held the sword in a stance that didn't fall in any martial arts patterns, but had good balance and leverage.

Kaiba sneered, "I'm going to get my body back."

"I'm going to get my revenge on the pharaoh," Seth retorted angrily as he shook his hair from his eyes.

Serenity shouted, "Why do you hate Yami so much anyway?"

"I must of been pretty ridiculous if I had to join up with a sadistic bastard like Bakura just to beat Yami," Kaiba taunted.

Seth growled, "If it's a good means to an end."

With that, Kaiba swivelled up, using the rounded end of the staff to smite Seth under the chin, throwing his head back. He turned, bending down, sweeping the staff with him to knock Seth behind his knees this time. Fortunately, Seth fell.

Then, Seth looked up at him and smirked before giving a small laugh. The blue eyes blazed up, admonishing him. Seth sneered, "Not bad, CEO, but you forgot something."

"Damn," Kaiba swore softly as the Blue Eyes White Dragon materialized behind Seth, realizing that he had just made the mistake of a lifetime.

******

"I've gotta pee. I'm hungry and I've gotta pee," Joey grumbled as the two teens continued to wander through the castle. Fortunately for Yami, Bakura had not sent any creatures to attack. Unfortunately for them, Yugi had no idea where Yami was being held and he couldn't create a way to beat the Death Trap. Then, add the fact that Kaiba had run off, again, things didn't look too good for the diminutive Duelist.

Yugi wrapped his arms around himself as they continued to walk.

He felt lost without his Puzzle and his Yami. It felt strange, to finally get used to the fact that he had another presence inside of him only to lose it. He knew without a doubt that Yami was very important to him.

In fact, Yugi thought of him as sort of a father figure or an older brother. Yami always knew what to do. He was always so confidant that he would win and that nothing could touch him.

Now, he was in danger and depending on Yugi to save him.

Yugi was overwhelmed by the responsibility that he felt. He had to save Yami. He needed Yami like he needed his Grandpa, Joey, or Tea.

Yami didn't deserve what tortures that Bakura was inflicting on him.

Death Card . . . Spell . . . Magic . . . Trap . . .

Yugi chewed on his lip in concentration, lost in thought as Joey continued to complain, curse Kaiba, worry about his sister, complain, worry, and curse Kaiba over and over again. "Stupid Kaiba, think's he's all that . . . Serenity's by herself with that freak and he goes off and runs away."

Death Card . . . Spell . . . Magic . . . Trap . . .

Yugi pulled out his deck and looked through it. He studied the Dark Magician for a moment, realizing that the eyes in the painting were Kaiba's, as if the card knew of the change of the monster it kept. He flipped past the Silver Fang, Celtic Guardian, and Curse of Dragon. He studied the Spell Binding circle for a moment.

That works on creatures, not Magic Cards. Besides, it only stops the creature, weakens it.

He paused when he found Soul Release, getting an idea on how to get Kaiba back into his body in this realm. He frowned as he found the Magical Space Typhoon. The Black Hole for spells . . . I can use this to save Yami!

"Yes!" he cheered as he drew the card and placed it in the front of his deck. He wanted to make sure that this plan would work. Meaning he wanted to be there when he activated it.

Joey turned back to look at him and asked, "What is it, Yug?"

"I think I've come up with a way to destroy the Ouija Board," Yugi answered as he placed his deck back into his pocket.

Joey smiled, flashed him the Victory sign, and replied, "Hey, that's great! I knew that you'd figure out something."

Yugi blushed as he looked at his friend and confessed, "I wasn't too sure for a moment, Joey. I almost forgot that I had this card."

"I knew that you would. Now, lets go save Serenity and kick Bakura's ass!" Joey exclaimed as he cracked his knuckles for emphasis.

Yugi asked, "What about Kaiba?"

"Oh, yeah, him too," Joey snorted absently, dismissing the subject.

Yugi looked around and pondered, "Now, where would we find your sister and Kaiba?"

Joey was quiet for a moment, stroking his chin thoughtfully. Yugi knew they found Serenity in the tower. He figured that must of been some twisted joke on Bakura's part; finding the princess locked in the highest tower. Now, if this was like any fairy tale castle, then Yami would be locked in the dungeon in the lowest level.



"I say we go down," Yugi suggested as they rounded another hallway to a set of stairs, leading both up and down.

Joey shrugged and replied, "Sounds good to me, let's do it."

Yugi was about to smile and nod in agreement when a familiar roar echoed across the castle.

Joey stuttered, "That wasn't just me that heard that, right, Yugi?"

"No . . . Sounds familiar though," Yugi replied, his voice a whisper as he looked up the stairway.

The roar bellowed again and this time Yugi was certain that he knew that sound. "The Blue Eyes," he whispered as Joey ran up the stairs, following the sound.

Joey shouted, "We've found Kaiba, damn it!"

Just stay alive long enough for us to get up there, Kaiba. Don't let him get to you, Yugi thought as he tried to keep up with Joey's longer strides.

******

Seth chuckled as the Blue Eyes loomed before Kaiba. Kaiba flexed his fingers around the staff as he looked around for Serenity, wanting to shout at her to run. He didn't see her.

Seth said, "You know that The Blue Eyes White Dragon and the Dark Magician are mortal enemies. There's a profound irony to this, don't you agree?"

If he wasn't in my body, I'd think I'd kill him, Kaiba thought as the dragon prepared itself for attack. He readied his body to spring away from the attack as he noticed something move behind Seth. His eyes widened as he watched the movement.

The giant red vase crashed over Seth's head, shattering it.

Seth's eyes rolled back into his head as he crumbled to the ground. The dragon let out a shrill cry as it disappeared. Serenity held a broken shard of the vase in her hand as she stared down at Seth.

"Oh my God . . . Oh my God . . . Oh my God," she gasped as she stared down at Seth with wide eyes. "I just . . . Oh . . ." she gasped as she dropped the pieces to the ground with a tiny cry.

"I just knocked you out!" she finally cried as she looked up at him.

Kaiba bent down and gently rolled his body over. Again, a strange feeling crept over him as he carefully inspected his head. He didn't see any blood and Seth's breathing was even and steady.

"Seto . . ." she gasped as she held her hands over her face, shaking her head back and forth.

Kaiba snorted as he lifted up one of the vase shards. He threw it back down and looked up at her. "I hope that wasn't personal," he drawled out as he stood up in front of her.

She chewed on a knuckle and cried, "I'd never hurt you!"

"I think you just did," Kaiba replied dryly as he looked at his unconscious form. For good measure, he was about to give Seth a quick kick to the ribs before he realized that wouldn't do him any good. Instead, he pushed the violet hair from his eyes and snorted, "Bastard."

"Serenity! Get down!" Joey shouted as he and Yugi bounded into the room.

Yugi said, "Kaiba . . . I need you to . . ." He looked around and frowned, "Hey, where did the dragon go?"

"Woah, Serenity, you've done something that I've always wanted to do. Okay, I'm jealous," Joey chuckled as he looked at Kaiba's body sprawled out on the floor.

Kaiba crossed his borrowed arms and snapped, "No one asked your opinion, mutt."

"Aw, Kaiba, don't get your robes in a twist," Joey taunted back.

Serenity hadn't moved. In fact, she looked as white as a ghost. Kaiba walked over to her and smiled.

He told her, "Quick thinking. Thank you."

"I knocked you over the head and you're thanking me?" she asked, her voice wavering slightly.

Joey smiled and quipped, "I'm thanking her. Someone should have knocked Kaiba in his huge melon a long time ago."

Kaiba glared and retorted, "Because everyone knows that you couldn't."

Serenity asked, "I didn't hurt you too badly, did I?"

"Minor concussion at the worse," Kaiba assured her as he grinned at the irony of it. He bent down at his body again and gently touched the back of his body's head. He nodded in satisfaction as he found no lumps and his fingers came away clean other than some ceramic dust. He repeated, "Minor concussion at the worse."

Joey sighed, "And here I was, hoping for so much more."

"Don't tempt me, Chihuahua," Kaiba warned and pointed his staff for emphasis at the grinning blond.

Then he looked at Yugi and asked, "Have you found Bakura yet?"

"No, we heard the dragon's roar and came up here," Yugi answered.



Kaiba smirked as he snorted, "Of course not. Good, because I have a score to settle with him."

"We think he's in the lower level, with Yami," Yugi explained, shifting his slight weight back and forth on his feet as Kaiba already started to form a plan.

He ripped the sheet off the bed and walked over to the sword. He used the staff to leverage the handle up enough so that he could wrap the sheet around it several times. He had seen what it had done to Joey's hand earlier when he had picked it up. Since having Seth carry the sword was out of the question, Kaiba had created a way to hold it without being burnt.

He held it out to Joey and said, "Here, fetch, puppy."

Joey glared as he looked at Kaiba's smirk. He snapped, "Listen, Kaiba, I'm tired of you calling me a dog. If you don't stop . . ."

"Shut up and take the damned sword," Kaiba demanded, shaking it for emphasis.

Joey's eyes widened as he replied fearfully, "I got burned the last time I touched that thing, Kaiba. I'm not that stupid."

"You could have fooled me. Why the hell do you think I wrapped it in a sheet?" Kaiba sneered as he thrust it, handle first, at Joey.

Joey took it and smiled. He gave a few practice swings and stated, "Hey, I could get the hang of this."

"I hope not," Kaiba grumbled as he plucked his deck off of his fallen body. He looked at Serenity, who was still watching him wide-eyed. He thumbed through his deck for a moment, pausing to stare at his Blue Eyes. He lovingly ran a finger over the dragon's wings before looking back at the redhead.

He couldn't trust Yugi with his deck right now. Not with Yami in danger like he was and could be used as a bargaining chip against them.

Not when Serenity can keep his heart better than he could.

"You take it," he managed in a whisper, peering deep into her green eyes.

She licked her lips and asked in a small voice, "Why me?"

Serenity's green eyes widened as he gave her the deck. He caught her hands and whispered, "I trust you."

"Seto, maybe Yugi should . . ." she began, but he silenced her by gently touching her lips.

Kaiba explained, "You'll know what to do when the time comes." Keep my Heart for me.



Serenity squeezed his hands and said, "Always." He smiled as he realized that she had been thinking the same thing as he had.

"Now, I'm pretty sure that Bakura's in the lower levels of the castle," Yugi said, oblivious to the exchange.

Kaiba asked, "Why do you think that?"

"In the fairy tales the princess is always kept in the tower, while any other prisoner is in the dungeons below the castle. Plus, there weren't any windows in the room when I had the vision," Yugi answered easily.

Kaiba mused, "That makes sense."

Then Yugi held up three cards in his hand and said, "And I think I have away to save Yami and get you back into your body. And I might be able to help him too." He gestured at Seth, lying on the ground, dozing haplessly.

"He doesn't deserve your help," Kaiba snapped as he picked up his body. He realized that he needed to gain a little weight. He was too light for someone of his height and body type. And pulling all nighters for Kaiba Corp. really doesn't help either.

Kaiba glared and thought, And he doesn't deserve your pity either, Yugi. He wants Yami dead. Yami, despite all of his faults, would never betray someone he respects.

Serenity asked, "Don't you have some of his memories, Seto?"

"Unfortunately," Kaiba snorted as they walked out of the room, him leading the way.

Yugi asked, "Then do you know why he's so mad?"

"He thinks Yami betrayed him over something," Kaiba answered shortly as they continued down the steps.

Joey defended, "But Yami wouldn't do anything like that. He's Yami. He's cool like that."

"But he thinks differently," Yugi sighed regretfully as they trudged down the steps.

Kaiba found himself growling, "That's not our problem."

******

The four teens were rather quiet as they continued to travel to the bowels of the castle. As the path grew darker, Joey lurked closer to Yugi and Serenity absently reached for Kaiba's free hand. He took it just as instinctively.

Yugi looked around and said, "I don't like this."

"Bakura's been way too quiet," Kaiba hissed as he looked around, waiting for an attack.

Joey asked, "Why hasn't he attacked?"

"Maybe he's drawing this out as much as he can," Yugi reasoned as the he continued to lead.

Kaiba frowned and mused, "Or he has something planned."

Serenity clutched his fingers and asked, "But we can't do anything about it, can we?"

"I say let the Pharaoh die," Seth growled as he slowly opened his eyes.

Kaiba dropped his body to the ground and Seth automatically checked for his sword then for the deck. The two locked eyes with each other, taking the other's measure and realizing that they would have done the same thing. Then both faces bore identical smirks as Seth stood to his full height.

"You took my sword and my monsters. Cunning move," Seth taunted with a smile right before he launched himself at Joey.

Kaiba brought the staff down to hit Seth, but Joey was faster. The blond boy simply held out his free arm and Seth collided into the effective clothes line. Joey then grabbed Seth by the lapels and said, "Where do you think you're going?"

"I'm getting my sword back you annoying jackal!" Seth hissed as he pushed Joey off of him. The sword clattered to the ground as Joey fell back. Kaiba moved to hit him, but Yugi stepped in front of both Joey and the sword, his arms outstretched and manner beseeching.

Yugi shouted, "No! Stop it right now!"

Seth glared down at the tiny youth and hissed, "Move out of my way, boy."

"That 'boy' is the reincarnation of Yami. He may be nicer, but he's just as stubborn," Kaiba warned with a grin, "And just as good as a Duelist."

Seth said, "My quarrel is not with you, but with Yami. Stand out of my way."

"Not until you tell us why you hate Yami so much!" Yugi bantered back, facing the priest fearlessly.

Kaiba drawled, "Yes, why did you let Bakura use you as a pawn? I wouldn't be caught dead with that son of a bitch. Or controlled like that."

"There are things that you do not understand," Seth bit off, looking between Kaiba and Yugi.

Kaiba tapped his fingers against the staff and retorted, "Then enlighten us. I understand that you want vengeance, that Yami had defeated you when everyone else who stood against you fell. Duel him and see who wins."

"Yami was responsible for my death," Seth shouted back at him.

Kaiba chuckled darkly and replied, "He almost killed me once. That 'boy' standing in your way prevented it."

Yugi stated, "I couldn't be responsible for anyone's death. Anyone's. Kaiba was fighting for his little brother and Yami and I were fighting for my Grandpa. Despite how much I wanted to save my grandfather, I couldn't let Yami kill him. My grandfather wouldn't have wanted that."

"Even if it was Kaiba," Joey snorted from where he stood.

Seth growled in frustration, "It wasn't in a Duel or a Shadow Game that he killed me, it was when I was trying to stop that thief from going after my Rod."

Joey snickered, "I wouldn't want anyone going after my rod either." He paused with a wicked grin before adding, "Except Mai. She can go after my rod anytime she wants to."

Serenity groaned and shook her head in disgust and disbelief, "Joey."

"Pervert," Kaiba snorted before looking back at Seth.

Yugi asked, "What happened?"

"I had him cornered when Yami came with his Elf and Magician," Seth snorted as he scowled at Yugi.

Serenity blinked and asked, "Wait a second, elves and fey aren't Egyptian, are they?"

"Of course not. They hail from my homeland. How else did you think that they got there?" Seth retorted haughtily.

Yugi said, "That makes sense. Where did you come from, Seth?"

"A green island where it was cool and wet, unlike that hateful land of sand and heat. I was a Celt, one of many proud warriors like father before me, except I had to learn other ways to gather power than simply the dragons intrusted to my family," Seth answered, looking off into the distance, probably seeing the shores of his homeland as he spoke.

Serenity looked up at them and said, "A lot of the monsters have other origins than Egypt, and not just British legends. Dragons have been found in almost every culture and some of the other creatures, like the Battle Ox, come from countries such as Greece."

"Which was conquered by Rome," Kaiba pointed out, getting her point.

Seth spat, "May Freyja take vengeance upon their black souls."

"Who's Freyja?" Yugi asked. Kaiba shrugged; Celtic mythology was beyond him. The basics he knew was what he read in various fantasy novels.

Serenity answered, "I think she was some Celtic or Norse goddess of the underworld of vengeance or something. Not really sure."

Seth glared as he spat, "And Yami sent me to my death using a creature that I gave him. I will have my retribution."

The Guardian swung with his own sword, dislodging the Dragon Blade. Yami met the thief's eyes as they were enshrouded in shadows. Seth tried to grab the crumbling stones one last time, but it was too late, there was far too much pain.

Kaiba tried to shut off the sudden flash of memory as he realized what happened. He remembered Joey trying to kill him. Yugi looked at him with realization dawning in his purple eyes.

Yugi said, "The Change of Heart."

Kaiba chuckled with the twisted irony of it all. He said, "Of course."

Joey asked, "Okay, what is it that you two have figured out that the rest of us haven't yet this time?"

"Yami didn't betray you, Priest, it was Bakura," Kaiba stated, shaking his head with the knowledge and the fact that this past incarnation hadn't been able to figure that out.

Seth looked at them, his eyes wavering between Kaiba and Yugi as he asked, "What do you mean?"

Yugi answered, "Change of Heart. It makes a monster turn against its master and attack them."

"Bakura took control of the Celtic Guardian to make it attack you," Kaiba explained in a patronizing tone.

He smirked as he knew what Seth was feeling, knowing the look of dark determination forming on Seth's face all too well. Kaiba asked, in a taunting voice, "Are you going to let him win?"

"Never. I'll eat that thief's still beating heart for what he did to me!" Seth hissed as he started to walk again.

Joey leaned over and whispered, "And I thought you were bad, Kaiba."

"I have better eating habits, mutt," Kaiba retorted as they were in motion again.

******

"Oh, Pharaoh, how are you doing? Close to death I would hope," Bakura sang out as he entered the dungeon.

Yami glared as he looked at the white-haired thief. He retorted, "Well, since only the letter D is suspended above my head, then no."

Bakura's black eyes flashed as he looked up at the D burning above Yami's head. He hissed, "I heard the Blue Eyes. You should at least have D-E-A spelled before your little hikari found a way to destroy the bloody beast."

"Then you've seriously underestimated Yugi and Joey," Yami replied with a smug grin.

Bakura chuckled iniquitously as he removed his deck from his pocket. He shuffled the cards around with a smile. He looked at Yami and said, "Well, if the priest won't act, then I guess I have to take matters into my own hands."

Yami's eyes widened as he realized that Bakura was going to attack now. And that Yugi wouldn't defend himself for fear of hurting him. He clinched his teeth in anger as he yanked on his chains. He growled, "Damn you, Bakura, you won't get away with this."

"Oh, how cliched, Yami. I swear. It's extremely entertaining when mortals say that. It's even more so hearing it come out of your mouth," Bakura purred as he dangled the Puzzle in front of Yami.

Yami looked at the familiar golden pyramid and glowered at Bakura. Yami hissed, "Your quest for power corrupts you, Bakura."

"Well, at least I'm not chained up waiting to die," Bakura chirped cheerfully as he started to turn toward the door.

Suddenly, the door threw open and in stepped Seth, still in Kaiba's body. Bakura looked at the brunet and asked, "What is it?"

"That blond jackal got the better of me and stole Kaiba's deck," Seth hissed.

Bakura glared and hissed, "You are nothing like Kaiba. Fine then. Never give a yami's job to a mortal."

Seth tensed up and followed him out of the chamber. Yami watched as Bakura gave him one last look with his ebon eyes. The thief snapped, "And I'll come back to see you die, Pharaoh."

The two left, leaving Yami alone. Yami sighed and rested his head against the wall when he heard a quiet footfall. He opened his eyes to see the Dark Magician standing before him, fiddling with the locks on the manacles around his wrists.

"Dark Magician?" Yami asked, looking him over and wondering what happened to his robes, helmet, and the first layer of armor that he wore.

Until he looked into a pair of familiar, intense blue eyes. Kaiba's voice answered, "Not exactly."

Yami's eyes widened as he asked, "Kaiba?"

"I'm certainly not Ra, even though I'm having a major identity crisis right now," Kaiba quipped as Yugi and Seth bound into the cell and slammed the door behind them.

Yugi asked, "How long do you think Joey can hold him?"

"Not long. It is the puppy we're talking about," Kaiba snorted as he managed to pick the lock to the chains.

Yami rubbed his wrists and looked at Yugi. Yugi rushed over to him and wrapped his arms around him affectionately. Yugi cried, "I was so worried about you."

"I'm impressed Hikari, and I'm proud," Yami replied as he returned the hug.



******

Bakura fumed, "When I get my hands on that idiot I'll kill him."

"You won't get the chance," Seth retorted as he suddenly pushed the smaller youth down.

Bakura stumbled and cursed, "Bloody hell! What do the hell do you think you're playing at, Priest?"

"You were the one who killed me, not Yami," Seth sneered, looking ahead. Then he smirked and kicked Bakura in the face.

Bakura's head snapped back and he tasted blood in his mouth. He licked his lips and relished the copper taste as his anger boiled. He was going to have to kill the priest now.

Shame, really.

When Bakura stood up, he found that Seth was gone. Instead, a familiar blond was staring down at him.

Joey Wheeler smirked and asked, "Wanna Duel with me, bastard?"

"You'll lose, you stupid mortal," Bakura hissed as he pulled out his deck.

Joey grinned and taunted, "Aww, come on, Fluffy, you know you wanna."

Bakura snapped, "You are nothing to me. I have bloody bigger problems to worry about."

Joey only grinned as he shuffled his deck. He replied, "Come on, send my soul to the Shadow Realm. I dare you."

Bakura smiled wickedly as he said, "That sounds like a novel idea. Maybe I should take you up on it. Especially since your friends aren't here to save you."

From the corner of his eye, he saw a flash of red rush past. He spun around as he saw Serenity bolting to the dungeon. He cursed, "Bloody hell, you were planning this!"

"You got it, Bakura," Joey chirped as he flashed the Victory sign.

Bakura pulled out a card and shouted, "I summon the Man-Eater Bug." Then he rushed after the redhead.

******

Seth rushed into the room as Yami and hikari hugged. Kaiba looked over at him. Evidently, Bakura had been postponed.

Seth hissed, "Stop the sentiment, we are short on time and the hour is growing."

Kaiba looked at the glowing D and said, "I hope this works."

Yugi nodded as he pulled three cards out of his deck. Yami asked, "What are you planning, Aibou?"

Yugi pulled out the first card and declared, "First, I'm playing the Magical Space Typhoon."

"I call upon Doppleganger and Soul Release!"

That was the last thing that Kaiba remembered before blacking out. He remembered looking at Seth, watching the D burst into violet flame and cackle with white lighting as it faded, and then at Yugi. Then he was lying on the ground with a terrible headache.

Kaiba groaned as he propped himself up. He looked down at his armbands and blinked. He gently ran his fingers over the flexible metal and smiled. He ran his fingers through his hair, relieved by the fact that it was short. He stood up and watched as the white duster swirled around him.

"Very clever, Aibou," Yami commented proudly from where Yugi stood.

The elfin boy was grinning happily. Kaiba looked down at his hands and asked, "What did you do?"

Yugi smiled and answered simply, "Oh, just used Doppleganger with the Soul Release. Look."

Kaiba looked to where the smaller teen was pointing. Laying face first on the ground was an exact copy of him, right down to the buckles on his arms. The clone groaned and shifted.

"Seth?" Kaiba asked.

He looked into a face that was a mirror of his own. "I . . . I have a body again," Seth whispered as he sat up. Kaiba watched as Seth ran his fingers through matching dark brown hair, almost a mirror image of what he had done.

Yugi looked away, a blush tinting his pale cheeks. Yami asked, "How are you?"

"I have a body again," Seth answered happily, looking up at them with wide eyes.

Kaiba looked around the cell and said, "Let's get the Puzzle and kick Bakura's ass."

"The sword and the deck," Seth stated as he looked around.

Kaiba answered, "The mutt has the sword and Serenity has my deck."

"And both of them are with Bakura out there," Yugi pointed out without looking at them.

Kaiba started toward the door when Serenity ran in.



"Bakura's out there with Joey!" she shouted as she dropped the Dragon Blade, still wrapped up in the sheet, to the ground.

Then she looked over at Kaiba then noticed Seth sitting on the ground. Her cheeks flamed as she looked up at him. She rushed him and wrapped her arms around him quickly, squeezing for a moment before pressing his deck into his hand.

"Bakura's ass is mine," Kaiba growled as he turned to look at Yami.

Seth stood up and stated, "I have more right to claim vengeance than you do."

Serenity was looking up at him happily. She whispered, "You're back."

Seth buttoned up the duster and adjusted the buckles. He picked up the sword and said, "You can kiss him later, girl. This ends now."

Then, surprisingly, he handed the sword back to Kaiba. Kaiba felt the warm rush of power run through his body as he handled the blade. He flexed his fingers around it as he realized that he had it back again. It felt just as good as it did before, just as right.

"It's yours. My time with it was long over," Seth explained as he went to open the door.

Kaiba smiled down at it then looked back at Seth. He said, "Thank you."

"You're its rightful owner now. It's recognized you," Seth snorted as they walked out of the dungeon.

Yami shouted, "Bakura, face us!"

Bakura's Man-Eater Bug and Goblin Zombie flanked the white-haired youth. He smirked as both creatures burst into flames. Bakura hissed, "This is something from the past. I'm summoning the Dark Necrophilia!"

The feminine creature rose from the ashes of the two sacrificed monsters. She turned its burning red eyes on them as she waited her master's command. Bakura hissed, "Send your dragons after her."

"I don't think so. Saggi! Defend," Kaiba commanded with a grin. The clown appeared, still holding the Virus he had implanted into it.

Bakura smiled and taunted, "Nice try, Kaiba. I know that trick all too well."

"Well, stop this one, Red-Eyes, attack!" Joey shouted proudly as the Red-Eyes Black Dragon screeched and flew at the dark creature.



The other monster didn't stand a chance against the dragon. Bakura flinched and held his side as if he was in pain. Instead of Life Points, we feel it directly if one of our monsters are killed. Interesting, Kaiba thought. Joey smirked and quipped, "Try that on for size."

Bakura chuckled as he held up the Puzzle. He taunted, "I still have this."

Kaiba heard Yami take a sharp breath and Yugi gasp. Serenity gripped his forearm from where she was peering behind him. Joey cursed, "You son of a bitch!"

"Not for long, you don't!" Seth growled as he rushed the ancient Spirit.

Bakura didn't stand a chance.

He was slung to the side like a rag doll as Seth grabbed the Puzzle. He tossed it to Yami and shouted, "We have to get out of here!"

Bakura looked at them before taking off. Kaiba went to draw his dragons, but Yami stilled his hand.

Kaiba hissed, "This isn't over."

"Let him go. He's in Ryou's body right now. There's nothing we can do," Yami explained gently as Bakura ran out of sight.

Joey rushed over to them and said, "Let's get the hell out of here."

"For once, puppy, we're in agreement," Kaiba snorted as Yugi put the Puzzle back around his neck.

Yami smirked as he disappeared back into the Puzzle. Yugi grinned as he gripped it tightly. He said, "That's better. Everyone, link hands."

******

Mokuba frowned at his hand as Mai played yet another Harpy Lady. He knew that she could play the Harpy's Pet Dragon at anytime and that his strength was increased with each Lady on the field. He also knew that her Ladies could get even stronger with the Rose Whip and Cyber Shield.

They had started the Duel to get their minds off of Seto and Joey. Tea was looking at the window and rubbing her bare feet as Tristan and Grandpa Moto talked. There was nothing from the Fortress. Nothing at all.

Then, right as Mokuba was about to lay down a Gearfried the Iron Knight, the Fortress made a fierce rumbling noise. It glowed golden for a moment before it started to shake. Then, as the rumbling became louder and the glow more intense, Mokuba swore that he heard voices.

Then, there was a bright flash.

Mokuba closed his eyes and looked away. When he looked back he split a grin from ear to ear. His chair clattered loudly to the floor as he stood up.

"Big Brother!" he cried as he wrapped his arms around Seto's waist.

Seto gave a shaky laugh as he hugged Mokuba back. Mokuba looked up to see Serenity standing beside Seto, a smile on her pretty face. He quickly hugged her as well before turning back to Seto. He then noticed that there was another Seto standing there and looking at him with an expression of wonder.

"Joey!" Mai shouted as she hugged the blond.

Joey chuckled as he hugged her back, "Hiya baby."

"You idiot! You could have gotten yourself killed," Mai snapped as she hit Joey in the arm.

Tea squeezed Yugi's hand and said, "You came back."

"Why wouldn't I?" Yugi asked innocently, prompting Tea to hug him tightly. Mokuba noticed the bright blush tinting Yugi's cheeks as she did.

Mokuba looked up at the other Seto and tugged at Seto's arm. He asked, "Why are there two of you?"

"Mokuba, this is Seth. Seth, this is Mokuba, my little brother," Seto said, placing his hands on Mokuba's tiny shoulders.

Seth's eyes widened as he managed to say, "Hello, Little One."

Mokuba quirked an eyebrow as everyone else looked at Seth in surprise.

Tristan asked, "Hey, what's up with the other Kaiba?"

"Why are there two of them?" Mai asked, looking at Joey.

Serenity reached over and patted Mokuba's head. She gave a wiry chuckle and said, "It's a long story, kiddo."

To Be Continued!

A lot of the creatures in Duel Monsters could point to Celtic mythology as their basis and not just Egyptian. Then there were other creatures that came from Germanic, Greek, Arabic, Asian, and Nordic mythologies.

Especially any of the elfin/faerie monsters. Fey creatures come from German and Celtic legends. Not many Egyptian monsters running around in Duel Monsters actually . . .

Now, I'd like to thank my beta and good friend, Animom. She's the reason why this story doesn't suck, especially from chapter three on. I'm glad that she helped me, since this story is more fun than thought provoking.

Now, I demand that all of you go read her stories, "KP Duty" and "Coming Clean". Now. Don't sit there, go read them. Off you go, children!

Also, I'd like to thank Alecto, the original Kaiba freak, and if you're looking for a good AU story I suggest her "Gifted".












< br>













< br>