Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Dragon Blade ❯ Epilogue: Choosing the Right Path for Rebirth ( Epilogue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Yu-Gi-Oh! is owned by its creator, Kabuki Takahashi and it's respective anime companies. I'm borrowing the characters and ideas for a nonprofit fan fiction written solely for the enjoyment of myself, and hopefully others.

The Dragon Blade

Epilogue: Choosing the Right Path for Rebirth

By: Elf

"And this is a double fudge sundae complete with whipped cream, cherries, and a fudge brownie at the bottom," Joey stated proudly as he pushed the ice cream bowl filled with enough chocolate to make Mokuba sick toward Seth.

Seth eyed it wearily and asked, "What do you do with it?"

"Don't give any to Mokuba," Kaiba answered, waving his spoon threateningly at his double.

It had been a week since they had returned from Bakura's Pocket Dimension and each one of them had tried their best to acclimate Seth into living in the 21st century. Yugi had taught him the rules of Duel Monsters, and not surprisingly, he had already beat Joey in several Duels. Tristan had driven him around on his motorcycle for a day, getting him use to cars and Rush Hour traffic. Joey had introduced him to porn right off the bat. Mai took him shopping. Seth accompanied Tea to her dance classes, which he had highly enjoyed.

However, Seth seemed to be spending most of his time with Mokuba, Serenity, and Kaiba.

Kaiba knew his little brother was safe with his ancient incarnation, and it was obvious that Seth adored him. Still, he couldn't help to notice the helpless, lost look in his double's eyes when he wasn't surrounded by Yugi and his friends. He wondered what it was like to be in a place where you didn't belong full of things that you had never even conceived before.

Now, Yugi's Group had decided that Seth should try ice cream. So, all of them except Mai, were at Domino City's local ice cream parlor, sitting together and chatting. Joey had ordered one of the most elaborate things on the menu for Seth to try.

Seth was eyeing the brownie fudge sundae as if it would attack him. He took his spoon and poked it carefully. He looked up and asked, "What is this black substance it's bleeding?"

"Seth, this is what you do with it," Mokuba explained as he lifted his own much smaller and less covered hot fudge sundae up. He grabbed the cherry off of it, ate it first, before digging into the rest at an alarming rate.

Kaiba warned, "Kiddo, slow down or you'll choke." He was slowly working on a double scoop of Dulce de Leche. He knew the dangers of eating ice cream too fast and he didn't want Mokuba groaning with an ice cream headache.

Seth ate the cherry first. His eyes widened with surprise as he smiled. He picked up his spoon and took a bite. His eyes widened even more as he took another bite, then another.



Tea grinned and proclaimed, "The boy has found out the wonder that is chocolate."

"This is really good," Seth exclaimed as he continued to eat faster and faster, his mouth full of chocolate and ice cream.

Yugi asked, "Betcha they didn't have that in Egypt, did they?"

"This is wondrous, something for the gods," Seth declared as he continued to eat.

Serenity chuckled as she shoveled up a spoonful of strawberry shortcake. She leaned over and asked Kaiba, "Should we warn him about ice cream headaches?"

Tristan suggested, "You should try a banana split."

Kaiba watched with amusement as Seth finished off the sundae. He answered, "I think he should find that one out by himself."

******

"I don't belong here," Seth stated as he looked out of Kaiba Corp.'s largest window.

Kaiba looked up from his computer and asked, "What are you suggesting?"

The former Priest answered, "This place. It's not of what I know. There is very little magic like I use to wield. If there is any magic, it is the type you wield with your machines and metal illusions."

"I can understand that computers and holograms might seem a little intense, but you'll get use to it," Kaiba replied as he continued to work on the program he was writing.

Seth confessed, "I'd like to leave this place." Kaiba looked up again and watched as Seth watched the sun creep below the horizon, casting the sky into shades of orange, red, peach, gold, and pink. The Celt's hands were pressed upon the glass as he looked wistfully out into the beautiful sky. Kaiba could sense the weariness and feeling of loneliness radiating off of him.

It was something that Kaiba could relate too all too well.

Kaiba asked, "Where do you want to go?"

"Home," Seth answered wistfully, "This place is too crowded and you fight just to breathe here. You fight against monsters who wish to take everything that you've bled for, that you've killed for. It's a vicious circle."

Kaiba smirked as he retorted, "It always is."

"I want to break it. I lived that way once and I have no desire to live it again," Seth snapped, pushing himself away from the glass to face Kaiba.



Kaiba chuckled, "I wish I didn't have to live it now, but I've killed for this and I'd be damned before I'd let anyone take it away from me. From Mokuba."

"He's the reason you keep going, isn't he?" Seth mused as he turned back to look at the sunset.

Kaiba nodded as he saved the program. "Yes."

Seth said, "Wonderful boy. It would be easy to love someone like that, and the maid as well."

Kaiba smiled for a moment and replied, "Yes, it is. When you put your mind to it." When they break down your defenses and make you look at yourself in a whole new light.

"My time to fight and play games is over. It was over when the thief killed me all of those years ago," Seth stated as he stared out into the horizon.

Kaiba reached below his desk and wrapped his hand around the Dragon Blade. He drew the mystical sword out and laid it across his desk. It glowed like molten silver in the wan light and the dragon's blue eyes seemed to glow. It was wonderfully warm to the touch. He felt the power pulse through his body as it recognized him.

Kaiba let go of it and said, "It's yours."

Seth turned to look at the sword. He walked over and gently ran his finger over the blade. With a sigh he retreated, backing away from it.

He chuckled, "It doesn't reject me, but I don't sense the dragons anymore. They don't recognize me anymore."

Kaiba lifted it up and closed his eyes. He could sense the spirit of the three dragons within the blade, awaiting his command, respecting and loving him. It felt right to hold it; a magical item that didn't disgust him like the Millennium Items. Something that belonged to him, and not some ancient spirit that whispered in his mind.

Something that he could control.

Kaiba opened his eyes and gently placed the sword back under his desk. He asked, "What should I do with it?"

"You'll know that when the time comes, Seto Kaiba," Seth mused cryptically.

Kaiba grinned as he looked back up at Seth. He asked, "Where do you want to go?"

"Home. I think you call the country Scotland or England now," Seth answered with a small smile.

Kaiba reached for the phone and replied, "Scotland. You'll fit in better there."



******

"I'm leaving."

Yami looked up at his formal rival in surprise.

Ask him why, Yugi prompted from his Soul Room.

Seth had shown up at the game store this afternoon to talk to Yami. So Yugi, being the kind hikari that he was, automatically let Yami take control. Then Seth had broke the silence with his revelation.

Yami asked, "Why?"

"You of all people should know the answer to that question," Seth answered as he idly gazed at some random manga.

Yami placed his hands on his hips and replied, "I don't remember much of my past, Seth. Actually, it's all very vague. However, I did remember you."

"I guess I made an impression," Seth chortled, sounding very much like Kaiba at the moment.

As Yami looked at his former Priest, he realized that while he and Kaiba were a lot alike, they were also very different. He realized the reason why Kaiba had been so generous to his past incarnation was because he felt responsible in some strange twist of thought. That Seth needed help in times where Kaiba himself had needed aid but refused it or no one had offered it.

Yami smiled and replied, "You have no idea. You know how hard it is to find a good opponent that isn't after your throne or your Puzzle?"

"You certainly can't ask Joey for that," Seth said with a small smile.

Yami chuckled and shook his head. Yugi said, Seth and Kaiba have that in common.

Not everyone is as kind as you are, Yugi, Yami replied with amusement as he faced Seth.

Seth shrugged and sighed. He straitened up his shoulders with his former arrogant barring. He said, "This world is so difficult, so new. It will take some time to get use to."

"Yes, it does. I remember the first time I saw a car. I thought it was a demon," Yami confessed with a wiry chuckle. With the way some people drive I'm not surprised, Yugi snorted through their link.

Seth chuckled as well before looking out the window. He said, "You don't need me as a rival anymore. I have no wish to play Shadow Games. No desire to win. I know I cannot go after the Tomb Robber while he holds the power of the Ring, especially when the Dragon Blade has chosen it's new master."



"So, Kaiba can truly call upon his Blue Eyes whenever he wishes?" Yami asked.

Yugi projected an image of the Blue Eyes Ultimate Dragon rampaging through Tokyo breathing white lighting and stomping on buildings. And Kaiba stood on the dragon's middle head, his white duster flapping in the heavy winds lifted by the dragon's wings, laughing.

Yami laughed, Stop it, Aibou, however, the thought of Kaiba summoning his dragons whenever he wishes is a frightening one.

Maybe the Big Five will stop hunting him if he can have a big dragon eat them, Yugi mused with a grin.

Seth nodded and answered, "Yes, but I wouldn't worry."

"Say you," Yugi retorted as he took control, "What about Joey?"

Seth laughed, "You don't know the power the maid has over him. He wouldn't hurt Joey because it would hurt her. Besides, if he did, then who would he have to insult?"

"Me?" Yugi suggested with a tiny shrug.

Seth looked him over and said, "Seto Kaiba respects you too much."

"Then why does he want to beat Yami and me so badly?" Yugi mused.

Because he does respect us, Yugi, Yami prompted over their link.

Seth answered, "Because Yami needs a rival that doesn't crave his power, but his skill."

Good point there, Yami admitted with a smirk.

Yugi nodded and asked, "Still, are you leaving?"

"I want to go home," Seth confessed.

Yugi said, "I thought your home was destroyed."

Seth smiled and replied, "I want to go back to my homeland. I want to make my own life and not live in the shadow of past Duels or my future self. Destiny is not written in stone, Yugi, but what you make of it. But, thank you, for this body and a second chance."

Yugi looked at the former priest wistfully and said, "You're welcome, Seth. I hope you find what you're looking for."

Yes, good luck, Priest, Dragon Master, Yami added respectfully as Seth walked out of the game store.



******

They were together.

More importantly they were safe, together and alone.

Serenity sighed in contentment as she leaned closer to Seto. His arms wrapped around her as he rested his chin on the crown of her head. She looked up at him and saw the turmoil in his blue eyes, not the normal stress she usually saw there, but true turmoil.

As if something was seriously plaguing him.

He held her tighter as they walked together. The stars were bright over head in a velvet dark sky, twinkling like someone had thrown a handful of diamonds like dice there. There was a slight breeze that toyed with her hair and his duster as they walked.

She wrapped her arms around his waist and shifted so they could walk easily. He simply held one of her hands and threw the other arm protectively around her shoulder. They were quiet, almost distressfully so.

Serenity had the urge to break the silence, to scream or crack a sorry joke like Joey, just to make Seto respond. Not just on a physical level, because that wouldn't be that hard; in all actuality Seto had a hypersensitivity to physical contact, a hidden sensuality if you will. But she wanted him to respond on an emotional level.

She kicked a pebble that impeded their path, sending it skittering along the pavement. They walked up to it and she kicked it again, making a pattern out of it. By the fourth time she kicked it, Seto was watching her.

Serenity asked, "What's wrong?"

"Thinking," he answered in a distant tone.

She squeezed his waist and asked, "About what?"

"The Dragon Blade, Seth, you, hundreds of things, Bakura," he answered with a shrug.

Serenity let go of him and faced him. She told him, "That's over, Seto. You all won. You won the game against Bakura, got your body back, saved Seth, and managed to get a mystical sword to boot. I think you came ahead in this one."

"I almost lost you," he confessed as he took her hands and led her away from prying eyes of the public.

She reached up and cupped his face in her hands. She replied, "You got me back. I'm safe here with you and Joey."

Seto gently reached out and pushed her hair out of her face. He blurted, "You don't know how terrified I was when I found you . . . That you had . . . Damn you Bakura." He clinched his fists and turned away from her.

She reached up and turned him back to face her. She gave him a tiny smile and assured him, "I didn't want him to hurt you. All I could think about was that you could get away."

"Selflessness runs in your family," Seto snorted as he tucked a lock of hair behind her ear.

Serenity smiled as she teased, "A nice balance for the self-sacrificing anti-hero tendencies that run in yours."

"Selflessness and self-sacrificing are almost the same things," he chided.

Serenity chuckled, "Yeah, but I'm not the brooding anti-hero."

"Anti-hero?" Seto mused, tilting his head thoughtfully.

Serenity stood on her tip toes as she whispered, "My anti-hero."

"I guess that fits," he replied, his lips brushing against hers.

******

It was a bit overwhelming.

Huge, silver airplanes and jets shrieked over head like huge dragons. Hundreds of people crowded around, complaining and in a hurry. Lights flashed from huge signs, directing people emotionlessly to their destinations.

Seth swallowed nervously and tried to stand proudly and arrogantly. He shifted his bag from his right shoulder to his left as Seto tried to explain the marvel of communication called e-mail. Seth still found it amazing that one could communicate so quickly over such vast distances.

"You're not listening," Seto chided crossly.

Seth looked over and shrugged. He replied, "This is overwhelming."

"It's a hassle. I hate airports," Seto growled as he looked around.

Seth said, "Everyone seems like they're in such a hurry."

"Welcome to the 21st century. Everyone's in a rush," Seto snorted as he glared at an attractive young woman that was standing behind the counter.

"That's why ya just gotta learn to relax and forgtta bout it," a familiar voice quipped behind them.

Seto rubbed his eyebrows and Seth turned to smile at the blond. Standing with him was Serenity, little Mokuba, Yugi, Mai, Tea, and Tristan. "Listening to Kaiba's just going to give you a headache," Joey advised with a grin.

Seth smirked and replied, "Yes, this e-mail thing is worse than a Horned Imp."

"Hey, cutie, did you think you'd get away without us saying good bye?" the buxom blond asked with a wink.

Seth was touched as he answered, "Actually, I didn't expect it, Mai."

"Still, you make sure that you write to us," Tea warned with a shake of her finger.

Mokuba gave him a huge grin as he said, "And you said that you'd teach me how to sword fight."

"Mokuba," Seto gasped.

Seth leaned over at his double and whispered, "You can't fight all of the lad's battles for him. He won't let you for one thing and he needs to learn to stand on his own two feet, move away from his brother's shadow."

"Like moving away from my past incarnation's shadow?" Seto retorted with a smirk.

Seth answered, "I'm not going to deny that. And I'm going to teach the boy how to use a blade. After all, the sword will answer to him as well. It's in his blood."

Seth bent down to the grey eyed youth and tousled the already unruly locks. He gently held Mokuba's shoulder as he promised, "Of course. I'd be honored to."

Mokuba grinned as he threw his arms around him. Seth held the little boy as Mokuba replied, "Thanks, Seth. I'll pay lots of attention, I promise."

"I know you will," Seth said as he stood up.

Tristan clapped him on the shoulder and said, "Good luck, man."

"Thank you," Seth replied with a nod.

Joey hugged him impulsively, huge eyes tearing up. Joey said, "You're okay in my book, Seth."

"Keep him on his toes. Make him fight for the girl," Seth advised with a wink.

Joey smirked as he looked at Seto then Serenity. Joey replied, "I'm not letting Kaiba off that easily."

"Good," Seth said with a smirk as he turned to look at Yami.

Yami said, "This isn't good bye, you know. I will see you again."



"Of course, but I think your hardest game is ahead of you," Seth stated as he looked at Seto, who was watching them with his arms crossed.

Yugi took over and said, "Well, Seth, if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask."

"Yugi, I'll forever be in your debt. You gave me back my body and my life. You gave me a second chance," Seth told him, "You have my gratitude."

Yugi blushed and rubbed the back of his neck. He replied, "You're welcome, Seth."

Tea hugged him and said, "Good luck, kay. Don't forget to write."

"I won't," Seth promised as he looked at the dancer.

Mai tapped him on the chest and replied, "Good. Anyway, if Scotland becomes too boring come back. You make things interesting, that's for sure."

"Not too much though, one Kaiba's enough," Joey quipped with a grin.

Seth chuckled as he turned to face Serenity. He looked down at the tiny redhead and gently reached down to smooth her hair out of her face. He said, "Good luck with him. And thank you. For standing up to me."

Serenity leaned up and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek. She said, "Here, I want to give something to you."

She placed a paperback book in his hands. On the cover was a boy wearing a red robe reaching for something on a broomstick. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone was written across the top. Puzzled, he thumbed through the book.

She shrugged and explained, "Seto loves those books. I figured that you might too. Besides, you can read it on the flight."

"Thank you," Seth replied as he held the book tightly.

Seto walked back over to the group and handed him some papers. He explained, "This is your passport. There are your ticket and your ID. Your name is Seth Kenna and you just happen to look like me. There's the information for you if you need it."

Seth looked at his new identity and mused, "Seth Kenna, sounds like an interesting person."

Seto shrugged and said, "Come on, I'll walk you to your boarding gate."

They were quiet for the next few minutes before Seto asked, "Are you sure about this?"

"Of course. Except for the e-mail that sounds quite complicated, but it'll be something to master," Seth answered with a grin.

Seto looked back where Yugi's group were talking and waving at them, shouting various farewells at Seth. Seto asked, "Did you have anyone back in your time?"

"No. I didn't. I wish I did. I would have had something to fight for other than just wishing for power," Seth answered as he tapped the book against his hand.

Seto smiled as he looked at the book. He said, "Serenity."

"Yes. You're lucky to have her and Mokuba. You have a life here, something to fight for, people who love you," Seth replied sagely.

"Last boarding call for flight 184 to Edinburgh, Scotland," blared through the speakers.

Seto pointed and said, "That's you. Good bye, Priest."

"Good bye, CEO," Seth replied with a grin as he turned away.

******

Kaiba watched as Seth walked down the corridor before turning back.

Most of Yugi's group had already left, talking amongst themselves. He could hear Joey asking Mai if she thought that Seth was better looking than he was then Mai's tart reply. Yugi looked back, smiled at Kaiba before running off to join his friends.

Serenity was holding Mokuba's hand. He felt his heart lift at that sight as he walked over to them. Mokuba took his left hand while Serenity took his right.

He looked at both of them and pulled them closer.

"Seto," Mokuba groaned, rolling his eyes.

Serenity thoughtfully rested her head on his shoulder. She whispered, "What's wrong?"

He gave her a full smile and replied, "Not a damned thing."

After all, every anti-hero needed something to fight for.

The End!

Ah, the story is over.

So, how did ya'll like it?

Now, I'd like to thank Alecto and Animom, especially Animom on this. (Sorry that you couldn't read the epilogue. I wanted to get it up ASAP to start on the next "project".)



I kinda stole the hidden sensuality bit from Animom . . . I hope she doesn't mind, which brings me to the next subject. Ahem.

Now, my next project is going to be much different than this. It's a crossover, but it's not like any Elf crossover that you've ever seen. It's not like "Harry Potter and the Four Guardians", "Bounty Hunters, Pirates, Princesses and Outlaws" or even "Pure Blood".

There's not going to be a bunch of good guys banding together to fight the forces of evil etc.

This story is going to be about a boy who went something horrible and while he summons something for vengeance he actually gets an angel in disguise.

Or rather, Shinigami isn't what you'd expect.

This story will be based, or rather, takes place in, Animom's beautifully written universe starting with the story "KP Duty" and the even more amazing "Coming Clean" which deals with what really happened when Pegasus had Seto Kaiba's soul. This is the aftermath of that experience and how one brilliant mind isn't going to let this beat him, but it's going to be a long and painful journey to do so. Realistic and brilliant, "KP Duty" was one of the best Darkfics I've ever read, but it's so much more than that, and "Coming Clean" is about how Seto's journey progresses from victim to victor. I can't even begin to describe how great this story is and how lucky I am to be a part of it.

In fact, there's a teaser up called, "Summoning Death: Teaser". Take a peek to see what this story will be about.