Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Truthfully, in My Soul ❯ Separation ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 8: Separation
 
Disclaimer: All Yu-Gi-Oh! characters belong to Kazuki Takahashi. Neferue is my character.
 
Then, after what seemed an eternity, Atemu and Mana just separated from each other. A mix between a horrible feeling and a euphoric feeling ensued.
 
They stood still, looking at each other, a mix of love, wonder, fear, apprehension blended in their minds.
 
A short pause ensued. Then, Mana spoke up: “Ouji-sama, what's going to happen now?” she asked in a whisper.
 
Atemu then looked sullen. “I do not know. I am aware of what society dictates of me and it tells me to only marry a princess.” Then he closed his eyes to gather his thoughts. “I don't care what anyone else says. It doesn't stop me from loving you.”
 
He leaned in close and gave Mana a quick kiss on the cheek and abruptly left her.
 
Mana stood there, almost in awe of what had taken place. Then, she quickly recalled Neferue's words to her the day before. I do hope that Neferue was not there to see that, she thought. Luckily for her, she wasn't.
 
~~~~~~~~
Mana had decided to linger around the palace walls until the sun went down. Soon, everything was bathed in a dark and dusky color caused the blanketing sky above. Shadows scrawled up against the walls, actually, against anything that was outside at the time.
 
She looked up and stared at the guards posted on the top of the walls. There are an awful lot of guards out today, she thought. The presence of the guards reminded her of the time when she and Atemu used to sneak out when they were little. She would use the freeze spell on then and they would creep towards the back gate to make their daring escape of temporary freedom.
 
Then, Mana saw a cloaked figure scampering across the palace grounds, headed towards the horse stables, particularly the one where the pharaoh kept his horse. The shadows hid the figure's face.
 
Mana became anxious. Who was this figure, and why was he headed towards the stables? she wondered. Could he be an intruder? In her hastiness, she sent over a blast of magic in the figure's direction.
 
It was a direct hit, and the figure temporarily collapsed from the shock of the attack. Mana ran over to the figure, and demanded him to give up his name.
 
“Who are you, and what are you doing here sneaking around the palace?” she beckoned.
 
The figure slowly got up and slid off the hood, revealing his face. Mana looked at him in horror. It was Atemu [although she found it strange that he was dressed plainly instead of the usual royal garb]. “GAAH! Ouji-sama! I am so sorry!” she cried out.
 
“You are forgiven,” Atemu began, “but next time, try to figure out who you're attacking first before you attack again.”
 
“Heh...” Mana gave off a nervous laugh. “So, what are you doing out here anyway, sneaking around you own palace?” she asked him.
 
Atemu sighed. “I'm just going out to clear my head,” he said. He looked up at the guards overhead, who did not notice the commotion that had taken place a few minutes ago. “You know, even if I am the pharaoh, I cannot leave the palace without an escort.” He stared back at Mana. “I just wanted to leave this place so I can truly be alone by myself, no escort, no guards, nobody to bother me.”
 
“You may need my help, then,” Mana told him. “You can sneak around the palace all you want, but there is no way you can get out without the guards noticing.”
 
Atemu then mounted his horse. “You know,” he said, “you're right.” Mana then hopped on the horse, behind Atemu, and as he sped towards the gate, Mana used her freeze spell on the guards, just as she did during her childhood years, and they escaped out into the desert, a trail of whispering sand behind them.
 
There they were, in the midst of sand dunes, separated from the kingdom, riding into the desert, riding into what was supposedly the unknown.