Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Truthfully, in My Soul ❯ The Feather of Truth ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 16: The Feather of Truth
 
Disclaimer: All Yu-Gi-Oh! characters belong to Kazuki Takahashi. I do not own the Egyptian goddess Ma'at or the stories associated with her. The character of Neferue belongs to me.
 
Downstairs in the sacred inner sanctuary, Mana, Mahado, and Isis surrounded themselves with hundreds of papyrus scrolls. Each scroll denoted various spells of sorts. All three were hoping to find some kind of spell that might be compatible enough to counter Neferue's spell. But their search seemed to be in vain: Neferue's use of a different kind of magic made the quest seem impossible to complete.
 
Frustration grew over her head. Scroll after scroll seemed to harbor no real solution, which just added to the pressure. And it wasn't helping at all.
 
Mana began to feel sullen and upset. She slowly put another scroll away and unhurriedly picked and unfurled another one. Isis noticed this. “Mana,” she asked, “are you alright?”
 
Mana just stared back at Isis with sad eyes. “Isis,” she began, “he didn't remember me. He didn't believe me.” She stared at the floor in despair. “I…I just wish that there was a way to make him see the truth. What if there's no way to get him back?!” She began to cry out.
 
Mahado looked at Mana. He knew of her close friendship with Atemu, and he felt sorry for her (even though he was still quite displeased that she had used her magic to freeze the guards). “Don't worry,” he told Mana. “We'll think of something. And if we cannot think of something, then perhaps we can go to the goddess Ma'at and ask her to let the pharaoh see the truth.”
 
Suddenly, Isis looked up from the scroll she was reading. “The feather…” she said in a daze. “The feather…”
 
Mahado and Mana looked at her, surprised. “Isis, what is it?” Mahado asked.
 
“The feather of truth from the goddess Ma'at,” Isis began, “is used to reveal what is true and what is false. Perhaps there is a way to use the feather to break the hold of the spell.”
 
Mahado just stared at Isis in disbelief. “Isis, the feather is just a myth, a legend,” he replied.
 
Isis shook her head. “I don't believe it is just a myth any longer,” she told Mahado. “I recall seeing the pharaoh holding a feather in her hand after he had left the temple where the gods and goddesses reside. And there was no bird in sight.”
 
“That doesn't mean that the sacred feather exists,” Mahado replied. “He could have gotten the feather from anywhere.” But then, he paused to think it over. He recalled that the pharaoh had ordered a special box made, a special box surrounded by sacred inscriptions. No, it possibly couldn't be…
 
“Even if it is a sacred feather,” Mahado began, “it would be in the pharaoh's possession. How in would we retrieve it?”
 
Mana just watched the conversation take place. There's a sacred feather that can reveal the truth? she wondered. Then she ran off again in the direction of the pharaoh's royal chamber.
 
Mahado saw Mana stand up and leave quickly. He tried to stop her before she was gone. “Mana, wait! You can't just run off recklessly like this!” he cried out after her. But she was already gone. He just sighed with disappointment. Why is it that my best student also tends to be the most unpredictable? he thought.