Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Truthfully, in My Soul ❯ Forget and Heartbreak ( Chapter 15 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 15: Forget and Heartbreak
 
Disclaimer: All Yu-Gi-Oh! characters belong to Kazuki Takahashi. The character of Neferue belongs to me.
 
Mana burst into the royal chamber, where she saw Neferue still clinging to Atemu's arm. “Ojui-sama!” she cried out.
 
Atemu just stared at her in shock and disbelief. “What are you doing here?” he demanded. “no one is allowed in this part of the palace unless I say so.”
 
“But…you always allowed me here…” Mana trailed off. She couldn't understand why he was being so harsh on her. “Why are you doing this…?” Tears began to well up in her eyes.
 
But nothing seemed to stir in Atemu about this upset girl who was standing in front of him. In fact, he failed to even recognize her. “Who are you?” Atemu demandingly asked.
 
Mana became stunned. “Ouji-sama! Don't you remember me?” she cried out. “We were once the best of friends! And you even told me you loved me! Ouji-sama, what's wrong with you?”
 
Before Mana could continue, Neferue spoke out. “This girl is just a lowly student of Mahado's,” she whispered in the pharaoh's ear. “She means nothing to you.”
 
“Ouji-sama, don't listen to her!” Mana screamed out.
 
Atemu got angry at this inappropriate address. He was a pharaoh, after all, not a prince. And, being unable to recognize her, he thought that Mana was some eccentric and bizarre girl that didn't know what she was talking about.
 
He called in the guards. “Take this girl away,” he ordered.
 
“Yes, my pharaoh,” the guards answered. They dragged Mana by her arms and proceeded to remove her from the room.
 
What, no! Mana felt her heart shatter. “Ouji-sama, please don't do this to me!” she pleaded between sobs. She then stared into the face of Neferue, who seemed to be awfully pleased at this little excursion that took place.
 
As Mana was being dragged away, she began to feel sullen. Neferue had managed to take Atemu away from her, and now, through manipulation, she had managed to take her freedom away as well.
 
It is said in Egyptian mythology that the soul could fly because has its own pair of wings. For Mana, it felt as if her wings were clipped so that she couldn't fly anymore.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
There, in the darkness of a small and damp prison chamber, Mana huddled herself into a corner. She felt the shadows crawl around her, as if wanting to coax her into a deeper sadness.
 
Why, ouji-sama, why?
 
Tears were descending from her aquamarine eyes. They fell onto the stone floor. She tried to wipe the tears away, but her crying continued, so she could not stop.
 
Suddenly, a creaking of the prison gates grabbed her attention. She looked up. There, in front of her, was Isis.
 
“Thank goodness the guards did not beat you up badly,” Isis said as she opened the prison door further to let Mana out.
 
Mana was overjoyed to see Isis there, and was even more ecstatic when she was released from the prison chamber. However, Atemu's behavior still lingered on her mind. “Isis, I need to go see the pharaoh again,” she said. She proceeded to leave, but then the priestess stopped her.
 
“Mana, wait,” Isis started. “I'm afraid that Neferue had used some sort of mind control hex on the pharaoh.”
 
Huh? Mind control? “Is this why he didn't know who I was?” Mana asked worriedly.
 
Isis nodded with dismay. “I am afraid so,” she sadly replied. “Mahado noticed it too, but he can't find a way to break this spell because it is a magic with which he is unfamiliar with.”
 
“But, Isis,” Mana began, “we have to try and find a way to break this hold.”
 
Isis's head moved in agreement. “That is why I came to you. You are one of Mahado's best students, so perhaps you can find a way to break this curse of hers.”