Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Truthfully, in My Soul ❯ Blindness Removed ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 18: Blindness Removed
 
Disclaimer: All Yu-Gi-Oh! characters belong to Kazuki Takahashi. I own the character of Neferue.
 
Atemu and Mana turned to the door, which opened with a venomous creak. Neferue walked right in.
 
Neferue looked at Mana with her brown eyes. They seemed to hold great anger in them, almost as if a fire was burning inside.
 
“Why are you here?” Neferue demanded.
 
“I'm here because you messed around with his thoughts,” Mana answered back.
 
Neferue turned to Atemu. “Atemu, dear, don't listen to her,” she said in soothing and loving manner. “She's just trying to confuse you. Do you trust a girl that you don't know, or do you trust your fiancée?”
 
“Don't believe a word she says!” Mana called out.
 
Atemu felt himself surrounded by deceit, doubt, and confusion. He wasn't sure as to who to trust anymore. There was Neferue, who he was supposed to marry, who managed to return him back to safety in his kingdom, where he belonged. Then there was this girl, whose appearance he did not recognize, whose name he couldn't remember; she had managed to speak with truth in her soul. But who was the most trustworthy?
 
Suddenly, he looked at the feather in his hand. I need to see the truth, he thought.
 
With this thought, a light breeze picked up. The feather rose out of his hand and appeared to float on its own. Then, it began to give of a radiant, soft light.
 
All three were stunned by this spectacular sight.
 
Then the light from the feather became strong and intense, even almost blinding, such that Atemu, Mana, and Neferue had to shield their eyes.
 
Atemu could feel the light surrounding him. It felt warm and comforting. The light seemed to vaporize the confusion that surrounded his thoughts. The light seemed to pierce through Neferue's magic veil.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
When the light diminished, he opened his eyes. He found himself standing, just as he was before, but he saw Neferue and Mana lying on the floor, barely conscious.
 
“Mana!” he cried out in horror. He quickly ran over to her side, bent down and picked her up in his arms. “Mana, Mana, wake up!” he repeated over and over again, with worry.
 
Finally, she came to. “Ou..Ouji-sama, is that you? The real you?” she asked, almost as if she was in a daze.
 
“Yes, Mana, it's me,” he cooed back to her. He paused to take a look at her, as if wanting o make sure that she was fine. Then with his free hand, he began to stroke her hair in a soft and caring motion.
 
Mana smiled back at Atemu. She was happy that he remembered her name. She was happy that he remembered who she was. She was happy that he was back, no longer held back by Neferue.
 
But what happened to Neferue?
 
Mana got up from Atemu's arms to see what befell the princess. Atemu also got up and walked over to Neferue's body on the floor.
 
Neferue was lying face down. Atemu took his arm to roll her over so that she was lying on her back.
 
Her face was now pale, almost deathly white. Her hair, which was originally ebony black, silky, and straight, had transformed to become translucent white, tangled, and wiry. Her eyes, which were still open, where no longer a dark, rich brown, but now a dark and shadowy gray.
 
Atemu stared into her eyes. He recalled the time he looked into her eyes and saw nothing in them. Now, staring into her eyes again, it was as if he saw darkness in her soul, and it greatly disturbed him.
 
“It almost looks as if she were not human,” Mana remarked. The appearance of Neferue reminded her of a ghost.
 
Suddenly, Neferue stood up. She gave off a pernicious screeching sound, none like which anybody has ever heard. Then, the body of Neferue vaporized into shadow, and she disappeared.