Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ Truthfully, in My Soul ❯ Sad Return to Normal ( Chapter 19 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 19: Sad Return to Normal
 
Disclaimer: All Yu-Gi-Oh! characters belong to Kazuki Takahashi.
 
Mana was in the grand hall of the palace, scrubbing the floor. Mahado was watching over her nearby. “I'll be back to check on your progress,” he replied before he finally left.
 
She sighed as she scoured the dusty and dirty limestone floor. This was a punishment for freezing the guards and letting the pharaoh escape. At least it's better than stable duty, Mana thought.
 
Atemu walked by, assisted by guards for protection. He saw Mana scrubbing the floor. He decided to call out to her.
 
“Mana,” he said. “Are you okay?” The memory of Mana lying on the floor nearly unconscious still lingered in his mind.
 
“Yes, I'm fine,” she said. “I'm just undergoing my punishment for freezing the guards.” She gave off a small smile. “The floor was dirty anyway.”
 
He smiled back at her. “At least it's better than doing stable duty,” he replied back. He saw a small giggle pass from her lips. He wanted to continue talking to her, but he had to depart.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
Back in the throne room, Atemu sat on his chair, being pestered by a bunch of officials and courtiers of the upper class.
 
“Due to Neferue's unusual disappearance from the palace, you're going to have to find another princess to marry,” one of the courtiers said. “We could go out and find another princess or high class noble girl for you to marry.”
 
“Your highness, it is imperative that you find another girl to marry,” another courtier pleaded. “You need a queen to bear an heir to the throne.”
 
Atemu looked at the officials and courtiers surrounding him. He knew he should be concentrating on the issue at hand, but the issue just disturbed him. His mind lingered on Mana. He then turned to the officials and courtiers. “No, not just yet,” he replied. “I do not want a queen.”
 
The court seemed to be shocked by his decision. Just recently, it seemed that the pharaoh and Neferue were getting along quite well. They began to assume that the pharaoh was upset that his fiancée was gone.
 
“Your highness, please,” one of the officials went. “This is a perfect time to find a girl to marry. Let us go out and find a suitable wife for you.”
 
But the pharaoh didn't want to hear anymore of it. He had the court dismissed so that he could be alone.
 
When everyone had gone and left, he raised his arms and buried his head in his hands. He was back in the palace again, where he was obliged to carry out his pharaonic duties, just as he was raised. The thought of it made him want to cringe, and he stared at his shadow that was cast on the palace floor.
 
He recalled the time at Riyah when he was with Mana in the desert, looking at the stars, just as they had done when they were little. It was like I was in a dream that time, he thought to himself.
 
But now, he was tormented. He felt as if he had woken up from that dream and that the dream was gone. No, I have merely slipped into a nightmare that seems impossible to escape from. Now, he was slipping into a depression.
 
~~~~~~~~~~
 
By the end of the day, Mana had managed to clean up the floor of the grand hall. She massaged her right arm, which was sore from constant scrubbing. All she wanted to do was change clothes and go to bed.
 
She walked outside to see the stars again, just as she had always done. But, sadly, it was like a normal night, with no Atemu to accompany her that night.
 
She found herself unable to enjoy the stars of the night. She hated this return to the palace norm. She no longer felt like her bubbly self; her bubbly self was suppressed by an enclosure of sorrow.
 
Tears began to well in her eyes. It's not fair, she thought.
 
Just then, a soft, white feather drifted down from the sky, and landed right at her feet.