Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Black Widow Miko ❯ Unsettling Memories ( Chapter 4 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
am truly, truly gratified that this story has met with such positive response so far. I appreciate every single person that takes the time to read it, and I am doubly grateful for all of you who are able to take the time to write a few comments about it. Seriously, you don’t know how incredibly helpful it is to know what caught your attention. You guys are the greatest!!

DISCLAIMER: I do not now, nor have I ever, nor WILL I ever own “InuYasha” or “YuYu Hakusho.” That privilege belongs to their brilliant creators: Rumiko Takahashi and Yoshihiro Togashi. I’m just a hack having fun messing with their characters enough that they’d probably cry if they ever saw it.

talking
mental/telepathic conversations “Hiei” “Kurama” “Youko
(thoughts to self )
dreams

Black Widow Miko

---------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------
Last time:

Just then an enormous outpouring of power washed over them, followed just seconds later by the unmistakable coppery tang of blood in the air. “Okaa-san!” And the inuyoukai took off in the direction of the open field.

Fox! The miko’s blood is in the air,” Hiei communicated to his teammate before becoming little more than a black blur, as he took off in the direction Daitano had gone just as the doors to the dojo were thrown open and the males inside came racing out. Arriving at the edge of the field just ahead of Eishumaru, he saw an extremely tall male with a straw hat slung over his back, and Kagome’s limp body hanging over one shoulder, disappear into the forest on the other side. In the middle of the field, a small patch of grass and clover turned brown and withered before their eyes. Right next to it lay a short, double-edged sword.
---------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------------------

Chapter Four: Unsettling Memories


“Damn him! I wish he wouldn’t do that!” Eishumaru swore. Seeing Hiei was about to give chase, he reached out and touched his shoulder, causing the apparition to slant a questioning glance at the inuyoukai beside him.

Daitano had arrived by now, and sniffing the air, he also began to swear. “That rotten, dirty, good-for-nothing, old hermit bastard! He’s got to stop doing that!” Seeing the impatient look on the fire demon’s face, he waved his hand in the air dismissively, struggling to regain his composure. “She’s all right. Or at least, she will be,” As the others had all arrived, he explained, “That was Master Zhang -- he’s okaa-san’s sensei, -- er, rather, her sifu.” Just then he smacked the side of his neck, and Myouga slowly drifted down until he caught him.

“Correct, Master Daitano. Your mother sent me to find him. That’s never an easy task, even when he lets you.”

“Why does ’ole Sloppy Zhang always have to sneak up and attack her like that?” Sassouta complained.

“He says it’s his way of keeping her humble,” Eishumaru grumbled, “but the last time it took her two days to recover. It wouldn’t be so bad if he just cut her, though that’s bad enough, but he’s got to use that damn snake touch, too.”

“Your Mom’s sensei wounded her and just took off with her?!!? Shouldn’t we go after them?” Kuwabara panicked.

Sassouta sighed. “We’d never find them. When Sloppy Zhang doesn’t want to be found, he won’t be. They’ll be back after she recovers and he lectures her and they meditate for a day or two.”

“You aren’t serious?!!? Hiei, …” Yusuke turned to his teammate, but he already had his bandanna off and was scanning the area with the Jagan for any sign of Kagome and her strange sensei.

With a frustrated growl, he put the bandanna back in place and re-tied it. “There is no trace of them.”

Kurama asked Eishumaru, “Your mother’s sifu is Zhang Sanfeng?” His brows lifted at the boy’s nod. That explained a lot. He knelt down and gingerly touched the ground where the grass had withered away and died. “What did he do to cause this?”

“He didn’t. Well, not directly, anyway. That’s where her blood hit the ground. Shit. He must have sliced her good,” the boy told him, looking at the almost circular patch of ground that now extended in about a 7-foot radius.

Pulling his hand back, Kurama stared at him. “Her blood is toxic?”

“No,” Sassouta walked over and picked up the sword, being careful of the long tassel attached to the hilt. “The earth mourns when her blood is spilled. In a few days, this area will be covered with white lilies.”

“Myouga, why did okaa-san send you after Master Zhang? She didn’t tell me she was going to do that,” Daitano asked the flea youkai suspiciously.

“Um, well, you see …” the tiny demon fidgeted a bit.

Daitano’s eyes narrowed and he started to swear viciously under his breath. Then he turned and rapidly walked away from the others with his teeth and fists clenched. His fangs and claws elongated, and when he was alone he allowed an angry howl to escape his throat. She was not going to fight with him and his brothers to reclaim their lands. (What the hell is she thinking?!!?) He took a furious swipe at a nearby tree, nearly toppling it with one blow. She had already done enough fighting and killing in her lifetime. He knew how hard it was for her. Eishumaru and Sassouta might not remember, but he sure did.

Right after Kouga had died, the attacks on the Eastern and Western lands had begun. She had been 6 months pregnant with Sassouta then. And while the wolves supported her in the Northern lands for a while, in spite of the rumors that she may have killed Kouga, they weren’t willing to go beyond their borders to secure the other two Houses. Other than the standing guards at each castle, she had had to try to gather her youkai allies to help patrol the lands. But in the end, she had ended up relying mostly on her ningen allies, the taijiya, to help her hold on to them. And at that point, they weren’t highly trained, except for Sango. They had only been recruiting and re-building their village for a few years. It had hurt her terribly to find out that several of the youkai she had regarded as friends either couldn’t help, or wouldn’t, -- several of them turning their backs on her, or at least looking at her with suspicion after she had lost yet another powerful youkai mate. That was part of the reason so many low-level, ambitious youkai were able to gain enough support to attempt an uprising. What had hurt even more were the occasions that the challenger was someone she had actually considered a friend or ally.

Sassouta was only about a month old the first time she left to actually fight to defend the Eastern palace. She had to take over leading the Eastern guard herself because the Captain there had been killed. After that, he could remember waiting up night after night for her to return each time she went off to quash an uprising. And when she did, she would be dirty, and her clothes would be stained with blood, and her face would be stained with tears. Then she would pick him up and try to smile as she told him everything was all right. And she would sit down with him in her lap and rock him until he fell asleep, and she would still be sitting there rocking him when he woke up.

He remembered Shippou, who even though he must have been 14 then, still looking like a little kid not a heck of a lot older than he was, pleading with her to let the other Houses go before she got herself killed. He hadn’t understood what that meant and he had run to her and told her they didn’t need a house at all -- that they could just live in the woods and that way she wouldn’t have to keep going to do something that hurt her so much. He had even been a little angry that she would risk herself over some stupid building when they could always stay in the taijiya village or just build a hut or even live in a cave somewhere. It wasn’t until he was much, much older that he understood the reason she was fighting so hard was for him and his brothers, -- to hold onto the birthrights their fathers had left for them. She felt she owed it to them, and to her mates, to make sure they got the opportunity to prove themselves good, worthy successors to their fathers.

When the Eastern lands had been overrun, he had been 10, and his mother had thrown herself at his feet, swearing she would help him get them back, no matter how long it took or what she had to do. And seeing her on her knees like that in front of him had made his gut churn. He had vowed to himself that he would become every bit as strong and powerful as his father had been, so he could protect her and take care of her the way Sesshoumaru otou-san and Kouga otou-san had, and so she wouldn’t have to fight anymore.

Thankfully, it was a little easier for a while after that with them staying in the Western lands all the time, because they were easier to defend. They had been asked to leave the Northern lands 3 years before, because of the stink that bitch Ayame was raising, but they had been assured that Sassouta’s claim would stand when he was old enough to lead, as long as Ginta and Hakakku were part of his upbringing to make sure he learned their ways thoroughly. In the meantime, one of Kouga’s advisors, Mamoru, had pledged himself to Sassouta and ruled in his stead. But over the next 50 years, the assurance of Sassouta’s claim had been given and retracted 4 different times as Ayame’s pack clashed with Kouga’s. By the time they had gone into hiding, there was a third pack vying for the ruling position, led by Prince Yemon’s father, Naoko. Evidently, Naoko had come out on top sometime in the next 400 years since Yemon was now the recognized Lord of the Northern lands. Which meant that Sassouta’s claim would have to be forced, just like Daitano’s and Eishumaru’s would.

Knocking over his 6th tree in as many minutes, Daitano stopped and wiped a hand across his brow as the memories continued to flash through his mind. It really was amazing now that he thought about it, the way his mother had been able to hold the Western palace for 50 years. Of course, the reputation they had gained for impenetrable defense under Sesshoumaru discouraged a lot of activity for many years before it became known that the forces had declined. Almost half of the servants, retainers, and guards had left, believing the Lady of the Western lands had killed her mate. But those that had remained were fiercely loyal to her. Then another youkai who had recently risen to a position of power had begun publicly accusing his mother of murder, causing unrest within their own borders which eventually led to a full-scale assault on the castle. And when they had finally been forced to abandon the palace to take refuge in the taijiya village, many of the servants and guards went with them, including old Ikiji. The Captain of Sesshoumaru’s Guard had taken it upon himself to begin training all three of the young heirs in the art of warfare.

Another fierce howl ripped from his throat as he remembered how devastated his mother had been, blaming herself for losing her all three of her sons’ inheritances. That had been the first time she had sent Myouga to find the sifu Kouga had brought to her shortly after Eishumaru was born, -- the one who had taught her his snake style kung fu. She wanted him to teach her how to use a jian. She had wanted to begin training and planning for a counterstrike to take back their lands immediately. But Master Zhang had told her she was too young and impetuous then, and had only taught her the basics of swordsmanship. Instead, he had introduced her to his Tai Chi Ch’uan techniques as a way of focusing and centering herself. Eventually, she had decided it would be best to wait until all three of the boys had passed through their 100-years stage so they could hold the lands in their own name instead of under hers. So, they had quietly settled into their new lives as part of the taijiya village.

And though their years with the taijiyas were good ones, they had also been fraught with danger, and tinged with sorrow. They had to keep a low profile and would often leave the village to hide in the heavily-wooded mountains when travelers passed through. He knew it was difficult, too, for her in the village because she had to watch her ningen friends age and die. By the time they had moved there, Sango and Miroku were already gone and their children were old by the standards of the day. Rin, who had left to marry Kohaku when she was 17 and they were still living in the Northern lands, died just a year after they moved there, with his mother at her bedside holding her hand. Kohaku, whom Sesshoumaru had revived with the Tenseiga when his shard was removed -- which was the catalyst for the final battle -- had already passed away a few years before. It had been one of Miroku and Sango’s great-granddaughters and one of Rin and Kohaku’s grandsons who had entered the cave with them the night they went into hiding.

A hand on his shoulder brought Daitano out of his memories and back to the present. He looked up to see his brothers standing beside him. “You didn’t really think you could keep her out of it, did you?” Sassouta asked him.

“Hai. I did,” he told him angrily. “She should not have to fight. It’s up to us to prove that we are fit to hold our fathers’ lands.”

“True. But you know she blames herself for their loss, …”

“It wasn’t her fault, damn it!”

Eishumaru laughed bitterly. “Do you honestly think we don’t know that? You may be the oldest, but we were there, too. We saw how much it hurt her -- all of it, even though she tried to keep it from us. The grief alone was bad enough, but she had to put up with the suspicions and nasty comments, too. Then it seemed like every youkai out to make a name for himself thought he could do it by either taking over the lands in battle or just by killing her and us. And she didn’t have anywhere near the support she needed. Not only were our otou-sans Taiyoukai, but they had trained troops who had followed them. Who did kaa-chan have? Some of the guards and servants. Hell, it’s a wonder we made it through it all alive. We wouldn’t have, if she wasn’t so strong, and determined.”

Sassouta broke in, “The really amazing thing is … even with all the fighting and danger, she made sure we still had a good life. She was always so calm and cheerful. Even when we would have to hide in the forests for a few days, she made it into a game -- an adventure. She took care of us, and taught us things she knew from her time as well as making sure we got the training we needed. And yet, even with the duties she performed at the castle or the village, she was never too busy to play a game or sit down and tell us a story.”

“Yeah, and you were always crawling in her lap every time she sat down, gaki, -- even when you were almost as tall as she was,” Eishumaru teased him, causing him to blush and stutter a bit.

“Well, … I … I just … hmph.”

“I know,” his brother assured him with a smile and a gentle push. “I always liked being as close to her as I could get, too. Even without those calming powers of her, there’s just something about her that makes you feel like everything’s okay. And she makes you feel like you’re the most important thing in the whole world.”

Both of his brothers nodded in agreement, then Sassouta added quietly, “And safe. Even with all the danger and upheaval, the only time I was ever really scared was when she would go to fight. I was always afraid she wouldn’t come back.” Even now, he had to swallow a small lump in his throat at the thought.

“Which is exactly why we can’t let her do it again,” Daitano snarled. “She may be powerful, and skilled, but she just doesn’t have the heart for it. It’s difficult for her. It hurts her to have to fight and kill, and that makes her vulnerable. I don’t ever want her to have to do it again. I won’t let her. It’s time she let someone take care of her for a change. She hasn’t had that for so long now, and she only had it for a few years when our otou-sans were alive.”

“Master Daitano,” Myouga, having caught up with the brothers a few minutes ago along with Ginta and Hakkaku, spoke up solemnly, “you can’t stop her. Don’t deny her the chance to do what she can to help you. She’s doing it out of love for you, hai, but also out of love for her mates. You must let her do what she can so she can feel at peace.” The two wolves nodded.

“I don’t like it any more than you do, but they’re right. She needs to do this. We’ll just have to find a way to keep her safe while she does,” Eishumaru said.

And while Daitano was no happier about the situation than he had been when he had stormed off, he allowed his brothers to drag him back to the house to relax until it was time for lunch. There was no way he’d be able to concentrate on his training that morning. But he was still going to have a serious talk with his okaa-san when she got back.
----------------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------


After Daitano had gone stomping off into the woods, the detectives had turned to the other two boys to find out what the heck was going on.

Seeing their attention on his brother’s rapidly disappearing form, Sassouta had explained, “He is upset that she sent for her sifu because it means she plans to fight with us when we go after our lands.”

“Why wouldn’t she? She is a powerful miko and would be an asset in battle against youkai,” Hiei commented.

“But she’s a woman, runt,” Kuwabara pointed out.

“That obviously has no bearing on her abilities to kill,” the fire demon retorted.

Eishumaru glared daggers at him. He knew exactly what he was implying. He drew himself up to his full height then stepped right up to the fire demon and looked down at him with a haughty expression on his face that would have done his father proud. “You really are a nasty little shit.”

Yusuke’s eyes got as big as saucers. (I can’t believe he just said that!)

Kuwabara choked, then started laughing. “He’s got your number all right!”

And Kurama wondered what in the world Hiei might do in response. To his surprise, he just arched a brow in a rather bored fashion at the young inuyoukai.

I knew I liked that boy. You have to admit that most people -- ningen and youkai are too intimidated to stand up to Hiei, let alone insult him. And did you see the way he took advantage of his height to do it? He might not have known his father, but he sure looked like him just now, ” Youko said approvingly.

You’re right, but I think we should get him to back down. He may be the son of a Taiyoukai, but he’s still very young and he’s definitely no match for Hiei if this goes any further.

But before Kurama could say or do anything, Sassouta stepped forward and put a hand on Eishumaru’s shoulder. “Come on. We should go find Daitano before he knocks the whole forest down.”

“Good idea,” Shippou agreed. “I’ll go to the house to let Jaken know Master Zhang is here and have the staff prepare a room for him, -- there’s no telling what time of day or night he will return with her.”

As the two boys and the kitsune left, Kurama turned to Hiei. “I appreciate your restraint.”

“Did you really think I would be so affected by the words of a snot-nosed youth with no sense of self-preservation?” he replied, not even bothering to glance in his direction.

Kurama permitted a small smile to curl the corners of his mouth upward. “It is appreciated nonetheless.

Hn.

Whil e outwardly, he appeared not to be affected at all, inwardly he was seething. That was twice in the space of just 5-10 minutes that some impertinent little snip had tried to face-off with him. And while a small part of him might grudgingly respect their audacity in doing so, another part of him wanted to teach them both a lesson. But the biggest part of him insisted on pointing out that once again, it was all that damn onna’s fault. The fools were putting themselves in danger to defend her dubious honor. (Maybe we’ll be lucky and her sensei will have killed her.)

Kurama turned his attention to the two wolves and Myouga. “How did she end up with Zhang Sanfeng as her sifu?”

Ginta spoke up, “Oh, well, Kouga brought him to her.”

“Hai,” Hakkaku chimed in. “He came across the old man going through the Northern mountains and he saw him use his snake technique against a panther youkai. He was so impressed, he asked him to teach Kagome. Master Zhang said he would have to meet her first before he decided, but as soon as he saw her, he agreed to take her on as his student.”

Hiei felt like smacking his hand over his face in disgust. (How is it possible for so many males to be so damn stupid?!!? Apparently this Zhang was so smitten with just one look that he taught her a deadly technique. And the baka wolf brought her the very means she used to kill him. Then again, perhaps all the Taiyoukai’s cause of death was suffocation, since apparently all their brains were in their pants.)

The avatar continued questioning them. “Why did Kouga want him to teach Kagome his technique?”

“So she could protect herself and her two sons, if she needed to. That was before she was pregnant with Sassouta. With all the whispers and rumors going around, he was afraid someone might try to kill her sometime when he wasn’t there,” Hakkaku explained.

“And there was the way Princess Ayame felt about her, too,” Ginta added.

“What did Princess Ayame have against her anyway?” Yusuke asked, remembering that she was one of the ones who had sworn out the complaint against Kagome.

“Well, she didn’t like Kagome because she stole Kouga from her, of course, -- she was supposed to be his mate,” Ginta told them, causing Hakkaku to smack him in the head and then grab him by arm to lead him away. He had a feeling they were saying too much to the wrong people.

“We should go check on the boys.” And they quickly left the field, taking Myouga with them.

“That was an interesting piece of information,” Kurama commented thoughtfully. “I have a feeling those two will not be as forthcoming from here on out, though.” He turned to face Yusuke and Kuwabara. “You do realize they just confirmed that she knew the snake style technique and could have used it to kill Kouga?”

Kuwabara just crossed his arms over his chest and “hmphed.”

Their leader scratched his jaw for a minute. “What about the stuff with Princess Ayame? And Kouga being worried that someone would try to kill her and the kids? What was that all about?”

“It’s not too surprising that there would be attempts on her life in retaliation for her killing the Taiyoukai. Or getting rid of her and the heirs would have been a quick way to take over the lands while there wasn’t a strong ruler in place. And now we know why Princess Ayame was so upset by Kouga’s death that she complained to the Reikai. Naturally she would want justice for the death of the male who was to have been her mate.”

“Just a minute now. She might have just been trying to make trouble for Kagome because she lost Kouga to her,” Kuwabara argued.

“Does it really matter what the motivations of a vindictive female are? Whether she knows more about Kouga’s death or not, she wasn’t the only one who was suspicious of the miko, nor was she the only one who swore out a complaint,” Hiei pointed out, just a little irritably.

Kurama knelt back down and touched the patch of dead grass again. “You realize that if her blood affects the earth like this, the Reikai might have a big problem on their hands if they try to execute her.”

“Hn. So they hang her instead of beheading her,” was Hiei’s reply.

Kuwabara frowned at them both. “I wish you guys would stop talking about her being executed. And what kind of sensei deliberately cuts his student anyway?” he tried to change the subject.

“Zhang Sanfeng is a rather unusual character from what I understand,” Kurama told them. “There are numerous conflicting stories about his time of birth and his life. He is even said to be a ‘Secluded Immortal,’ which I am inclined to believe may be true. He was a Daoist priest in China of the Shaolin tradition, who established the Daoist monasteries in the Wudang Mountains, along with traveling the countryside. He is said to be an expert of both the snake and white crane styles of kung fu, as well as in the use of the jian, like the one Sassouta picked up here, though from its size and the fact that there was no blood on it, I would guess that one belonged to Kagome.”

He stood up. “He is credited as the creator of Tai Chi Ch’uan, and was said to have once killed one hundred rebels with one hand. By all accounts he is rather careless about his appearance, and is often mistaken for a beggar. Since Sassouta calls him ‘Sloppy Zhang,’ I think we can take that to be true.”

“Whether the man is ‘sloppy’ or not, the only thing I am concerned with is the fact that he spirited away our murder suspect and we can’t track him. And according to her sons, she may be gone for days,” Hiei pointed out.

“Crap! That’s right. Koenma said not to let her out of our sight, too,” Yusuke moaned. “What are we going to do?”

“I suggest we take the opportunity to search her room tonight,” Kurama said, as he started back to the house. “And that none of us say anything about this little incident to Koenma.”
-------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------------


After spending the rest of the day training as normal, except for the fact that Daitano was going at it with a fierce determination the others hadn’t seen him display before, everyone headed back to relax for the evening. But the whole atmosphere at the house was strangely different without Kagome there, and it was unsettling even for the detectives. Kuwabara was strangely silent, seemingly lost in his thoughts, and ignoring Yusuke’s attempts pick at him. That by itself was rather unsettling. Sassouta tried joking around with his brothers to ease some of the tension, and only got snapped at and told to ‘grow up’ for his efforts. Finally, Shippou suggested they play some cards, and to his relief most of the others agreed, -- happy for the distraction. Jaken and Myouga decided to call it an early night, and claiming they had some reading to do, Kurama and Hiei took advantage of the others’ preoccupation in the game room to try to do some looking around.

The one room in the house they were most interested in searching was Kagome’s, and they quietly made their way up the stairs, masking their scents and auras when they passed the 3rd floor, -- not that they thought the old retainers would detect them, but better safe than sorry. Kagome’s bedroom suite was at one end of the hallway, with Sassouta’s right next to it and Shippou’s just across the way. Next to Shippou’s was the common room, and then the room they had given to Kuwabara. The last two rooms on that floor were Eishumaru’s next to Kuwabara’s and Daitano’s across the way from him next to Sassouta’s.

As they approached her room, they were surprised to note that there didn’t seem to be any sort of barrier up. Glancing at each other questioningly, Kurama stepped up and easily picked the lock on the door. Again, they looked at each other in surprise. They certainly didn’t expect it to be so easy to get into her room. As they stepped inside and shut the door, Hiei summoned a small flame to one hand as a means to see without having to turn on the lights.

The first thing that hit them was her scent, and Hiei realized that the exotic floral scent had been decidedly lacking downstairs, already fading in her absence. Was that what made everything seem out of place? He saw Kurama inhale deeply and close his eyes for a minute.

What is it?” he finally asked the fox.

What is what?

That flowery scent of hers -- I know it isn’t roses, or ordinary wildflowers. What is it?

Gardenias. Quite sensual and evocative, isn’t it? It makes you think of warm, summer evenings, with gentle breezes blowing, in some exotic locale. They are creamy-white flowers, whose smooth, slick petals unfurl into rich, full whorls of delicate beauty. They are extremely fragrant, yet not overpowering -- a treat for the senses of sight, touch, and, of course, smell. All-in-all, a very appropriate scent for a rather mysterious, experienced woman like our widow. It would be overblown on a young virgin. I wonder what her scent was like when she was younger?

All I asked for was the name of the flower -- not a lesson in botany or philosophical musings on an onna’s maturing scent,” Hiei rolled his eyes at him. He really didn’t need Kurama’s vivid description of the damn flowers -- it was almost like he was describing her, and now his pants were getting tight again. (I’m getting really tired of swimming in that damn lake.) You’d think he could at least catch a break when she was gone.

Why so testy? It’s a delightful smell. You should try to enjoy it,” Youko said with a grin. He was extremely interested in the fact that the apparition had asked about the scent in the first place. He wondered if he was anywhere near as frustrated as he was around the little vixen. Oh, he was going to catch her all right -- 500 years ago or not, he would find a way to prove what she had done. And he wanted Eishumaru and his brothers to see her for what she was, and to be able to make their way past it. Really, all 3 of them had exceptional potential and could be great leaders in the Makai one day, but not with the questions about their fathers’ deaths and the suspicions surrounding their mother hanging over their heads. So, he would gladly solve this puzzle. But he fully intended to have the woman before he handed her over to the Reikai. After all, if she had ensnared the great Lord Sesshoumaru, she must be worth a tumble.

Turning his thoughts away from his plans for the miko, he joined Hiei in looking around the room. Not having known quite what to expect in terms of decorating, Hiei snorted upon discovering that the room was done entirely in black and white. Even though Shippou had apparently bought her some clothes she wouldn’t wear, it was obvious he had known better than to brighten up her room with some color. He snorted again when he saw the bed. For such a small onna, she certainly had a huge bed. Kurama caught his disgusted glance, and had to suppress a laugh. You’d think the little fire demon was a repressed virgin himself the way he was acting.

You disapprove? I, for one, am glad to see there will be ample room for the many things I plan to do with her when I run her to ground.

Run her to ground? It sounds like you are conducting a stalking rather than a seduction.

Don’t quibble about terms -- the end result will be the same.

Hn.

Searching through her wardrobe, they found several white irotomesode and tomesode kimonos. While she hadn’t worn any of the more formal ones since her trip into Kyoto, she usually wore one of the more casual ones around the house in the evenings. There were also several of the white and black suits she had bought hanging up. Towards the back, a beautiful blue kimono caught Kurama’s eye and he took it out to get a better look at it. It was an iromuji in a brilliant shade of sapphire that he knew would show off her magnificent eyes to perfection. It was very finely made and obviously very expensive. He wondered what had made her hold onto it -- it must hold some significant meaning for her.

After searching through the rest of her clothing and finding nothing interesting, except for the fact that underneath those mourning clothes she was wearing some extremely enticing lace and silk lingerie, they stepped into the sitting room to look around. Their eyes were immediately drawn to two large paintings, about 6x8 feet each, the subject of which was none other than the miko. The first one was of her sitting on the ground in what appeared to be an enclosed garden. She was wearing a solid, dark purple tomesode that flattered her pale skin and dark hair, and she was playing with a small, silver-haired inuyoukai, who was standing on her lap with her help, waving around a fistful of her long dark hair. Closer examination revealed that she was probably 3 or 4 months pregnant, as evidenced by the slight curve of her stomach. Both youkai stepped closer and Hiei held the flame aloft more so they could see it better. There was no doubt that the child was Daitano, and that the miko was … breathtaking. Her face was alight with a happiness that was almost palpable, as if her joy could be communicated through the oils the artist had used directly to the viewer. Her eyes shone vibrantly, and her lips were curved in a most enchanting smile.

Now I see that she has indeed been weighted down by sorrow or guilt. While there is no denying she is a stunningly beautiful woman today, the woman in that picture defines womanhood. Her easy grace and elegance coupled with unaffected expressiveness, showing so much enthusiasm and joy in such an inherently female state as pregnancy and motherhood, is absolutely irresistible. Hell, it almost makes me want to father some kits on her.

Kurama gave a little jerk and his eyes opened wide. “You aren’t serious, are you Youko? Because there’s NO WAY we are even going to TOUCH her if you are.

The kitsune laughed. “I said almost. Don’t worry, Red, I have no intentions of letting our kits grow up without a mother. Besides, didn’t you hear me point out that the woman in the painting is the one who appeals to me that way? She’s not like that now. Now, she turns my thoughts to other things,” he said suggestively, then cocked a brow as he added, “wouldn’t you agree, Hiei?

Hn.” (Damn fox. He really is too observant for his own good.) Hiei was annoyed beyond belief that Youko seemed to have picked up on his attraction to the onna. He looked at the painting one more time before moving to the next one. He wasn’t so sure he agreed with the fox’s opinion, either. Hai, there was something otherworldly and charismatic about the miko the way she was portrayed in the painting, with her obvious happiness and expressiveness about her emotions. But, truthfully, the damn onna actually appealed more to him the way she was now -- wiser, more mature, weathered a bit by life. If Youko was attracted by the maternal aspects of her nature, well, those were the same, because her eyes still looked just like they did in the painting when she was with her sons, even if her smile wasn’t quite as bright and her features weren’t quite as open. He wondered how the kitsune had missed that?

The second painting was of her standing on a balcony, looking out into the clouds. She must have been 6 or 7 months pregnant then, because the swell of her stomach was very pronounced, and she rested a hand gently on it as her other one rested on the balcony railing. Just the tiniest hint of a smile played about her lips and her overall look was one of complete contentment. She was wearing a light blue yukata and robe, and her hair looked slightly tousled, as if she had just awakened and walked over to the balcony to greet the day. The artist had cleverly conveyed the sense that a light breeze was blowing as several strands of her ebony locks danced in the air. Hiei preferred this painting. Then he cursed himself for the thought. Obviously, he was in serious need of a good fuck if the picture of a heavily-pregnant ningen onna was stirring his desires. And since he really wasn’t in the mood to search out and put up with some annoying female just for the sake of a quick release, he would have to settle for a trip into the Makai to kill things. Lots of things.

Further searching proved futile as the only thing of interest they found was a large wooden chest which did have a barrier around it, and was heavily warded as well. Sensing the others about to make their way upstairs, they had to leave it for another time. Hiei took one last quick glance at the onna standing on the balcony before extinguishing his flame and slipping quietly out of the room behind his partner.

They met up with their teammates in the common room on the 2nd floor, where Hiei and Yusuke were staying. Kurama reported their lack of findings, and that he would like to take a crack at the wooden chest when he could get some time to work on it. Yusuke asked what her underwear looked like, causing Kuwabara to yell at him. When Kurama mentioned the paintings, the tall, kind-hearted detective remarked that he would like to see them.

“You know there are paintings of her with each of the Taiyoukai in the boys’ rooms,” he told them. “That’s another reason why I know she didn’t kill them.”

“You’ll have to explain that one, baka, because I don’t see what paintings have to do with it,” Yusuke said.

“If you see the way they were with each other, you’d know there’s just no way she could have done it.”

Hiei rolled his eyes at him and shook his head. “You do know that the whole reason people have paintings done is to present a particular image to those who will be looking at them. They are not necessarily true representations.”

“And don’t forget, even if the Taiyoukai were in love with her, it doesn’t mean she didn’t kill them. And our widow is a rather consummate little actress -- she is very adept at hiding her feelings,” Kurama added. “However, I would like to see those other paintings.”

Kuwabara stood up. “Then come on. I’m sure they’ll show you.” And he led them up the stairs.

When they got there, he went to Daitano’s room first and knocked. When the inuyoukai opened the door, he gave Kuwabara a friendly greeting, but looked suspiciously at the others.

“Hey, could they see the painting of your parents? I was telling them how great it is, and they’d like to see it for themselves.”

Daitano looked at them for a minute, then smiled sardonically and crossed his arms over his chest. “They want to see what they looked like together, ne?” Then he swept an arm to the side as if ushering them in. “Be my guest.”

They walked into the room and saw that it was decorated in a variety of greens. Placed prominently on the wall across from the bed, was a huge painting. The man in the painting looked almost exactly like Daitano, except for the fuzzy ears perched atop his head, and the kaikyuushou stripes on his face. The Taiyoukai was wearing a pair of red sashinuki hakamas and a plain, white kosode. He was sitting with his back against a tree, and held a small, dark-haired woman in his lap, with his leg bent at the knee, partially supporting her back. She was wearing a rosy pink tomesode. His cheek was resting against the top of her head, and she seemed to be snuggled up against him with her head on his shoulder and slightly nuzzling into his neck. Both of them had their eyes closed and an expression of pure bliss radiated from their faces. You could tell by looking at his hand at her waist and hers on his shoulder that they were holding tightly to each other. They both looked very young.

Daitano studied the faces of the detectives as they looked at the picture. “That is what love looks like.”

“That’s the Goshinboku, isn’t it?” Kurama asked.

Daitano nodded. “Do you want to see the one of her with Sesshoumaru otou-san?” and he took them across the hall to Eishumaru’s room. As they trooped into the middle son’s room, they noted that it was decorated in purple and silver.

“Checking out the otou-sans? Take a look at my oyaji. Hey!” He rubbed the back of his head where Daitano had smacked him.

“Show some respect. Sesshoumaru otou-san was a great youkai.”

“I didn’t say he wasn’t,” his brother grumbled.

The painting in his room showed a very different couple. The male was an extremely tall, imposing figure in a formal black kimono, complete with 5 kamon on the chest, shoulders, and back. His long, silky-looking silver hair flowed all the way down his back to his knees. He was facing the tiny woman that he was towering above, and was cupping her delicate face in his huge hand, -- his deadly-looking claws emphasizing her fragile features, tilting her chin up so she was looking at him. She was wearing a solid black kurotomesode, also with the 5 kamon on the sleeves, chest, and back. She had one of her hands covering his on her cheek caressingly, and the other one was flat against his chest. They were staring deeply into each other’s eyes, and seemed completely unaware of anything or anyone else around them. The intensity of their gaze was emphasized by the looks of absolute contentment on their faces.

Daitano spoke up again. “That is also what love looks like.”

“Have they seen the one of her with Kouga otou-san?” Eishumaru asked. When Daitano shook his head, he gestured for them to follow him. “Come on, then. You’ve got to see this.”

In Sassouta’s room, which was decorated in red and gold, was one of the largest paintings they’d ever seen, with the figures portrayed larger than life. It was quite different from the first two. “You’ve got to admire Kouga otou-san’s style,” Eishumaru grinned wickedly. “He said if he was going to spend hours posing for a painting, he was going to make sure he was comfortable and had something entertaining to look at.

The wolf Taiyoukai was stretched out on a pile of thick brown furs, wearing just a pair of dark blue hakamas. He was leaning over a woman who was lying on her back wearing a silky-looking, cream-colored yukata. She had one knee bent up, exposing her leg from thigh to ankle, and her hair was a shadowy cloud spread all around her. The possessive arm at her waist and the slightly leering smile on his face, coupled with the light tinge of pink in her cheeks and the laughing smile on her face as she reached up and rested her hands on his shoulders told the whole story.

“I thought they would never get the painting done because Kouga otou-san could only sit like that for so long before throwing the artist out of the room. I think that’s how we ended up with Sassouta here,” Eishumaru told them slyly.

“Shu! Can you please at least try to be a little more circumspect?” Daitano slowly shook his head as if his brother were the most trying individual on the earth.

“Hai,” his youngest brother agreed. “They don’t need to know things like that,” he said pointing to their visitors with a slight blush riding his cheeks.

“No, actually they do need to know things like that,” Eishumaru said, quickly getting serious. “They need to understand exactly the kind of relationships kaa-chan had with each of her mates so they’ll realize how ridiculous it is for them to think she could have killed them.” He narrowed his eyes and pinned them with his gaze. “As you can plainly see, she loved each of them, completely and unconditionally. And they loved her. If you all want to keep digging into our otou-sans’ murders, I suggest you start looking for other suspects.” And he gestured for them to leave.

After they had returned to the common room on the 2nd floor, Kuwabara smiled at them triumphantly. “Now do you believe me?”

“Well, I’ve gotta say it sure does look like she loved them all,” Yusuke said, scratching his jaw absentmindedly.

“We’re not investigating whether or not she loved them. The question is whether or not she killed them,” Kurama pointed out again.

“Okay then, smart guy, if she loved them, then why would she kill them?” Kuwabara demanded.

After a moment’s silence, the avatar grudgingly conceded, “I suppose we need to dig deeper into pinpointing the motive.”

With a satisfied nod, Kuwabara excused himself and went to bed. Though neither of them wanted to admit it, seeing the paintings gave Hiei and Kurama a lot to think about.
---------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------------


As Kagome lay back on the soft covers of the thick futon, she could feel the heat from his gaze as if it were a physical caress gliding over her body. Then, ever so gently, the light touch of rough, sword-callused hands began to trace along her jaw, skimming across her lips before trailing slowly down her throat. They followed the line of her collarbone out to her shoulders and then down her arms where they moved to her slim waist, gripping it for just a moment on both sides before gliding back up along the sides of her torso and pausing to cup the undersides of her full, round breasts.

She felt his warm breath on her neck, and the soft pull of his lips as he silently worshipped the delicate skin there with slow, tender kisses that seemed to heat her from the inside out. Then his mouth was covering hers, teasing the corners at first with barely-perceptible pressure before settling in to fully taste the sweetness inside. A low moan filled the air, but whether it was from his throat or hers, she didn’t know and didn’t care.

When one of those big, rough hands moved down to the apex of her thighs, she parted them to allow him access. First one finger slid between the damp folds of fragile skin there, causing her stomach to knot the way it always did. As he slowly, agonizingly began to move that finger in and out, a second one joined it, and her hips rose to encourage him to continue. All the while, those sweet, drugging kisses filled with such love and gentle intensity soothed and satisfied her soul even as the nerves throughout her body coiled tighter and tighter.

As she neared the peak, that loving mouth reluctantly pulled away from hers, but she could feel him still hovering there, and she knew if she opened her eyes she would find him watching her face intently. So she did, and as always the depth of the emotion written on his features made the breath catch in her throat. She let herself be lost in that endless golden sea until he lightly touched that small bundle of nerves hidden inside that tiny nub of swollen flesh, and her eyes closed as wave after wave of pleasure swept along her body until she felt all the tension ease and a bone-deep feeling of contentment took over. When she opened her eyes again, he was still watching her. She reached up and ran her fingers lightly along his jaw.

Why do you always look at me like that?

Because I’ve never seen anything so beautiful, and I still can’t believe you’re here with me like this. That you’re really mine.

I’ve always been yours. I think I knew it almost from the first moment I saw you, hanging there on the Goshinboku. I told you I would never leave you. You’re all I’ve ever wanted -- all I’ll ever want. Aishiteru, Inuyasha.

Aishiteru, Kagome, forever…she heard him whisper.



She shifted restlessly and whimpered as the dream-memory faded away. She could still feel the warmth of his gaze along the edges of her mind and she was reluctant to give it up. So, she turned over and buried her face in the pillow.



Koishii, open your eyes,a low, rich, velvety voice commanded.

Tremors still wracked her body as her eyelids fluttered open, and the sight of him kneeling there beside the bed with her legs still draped over his shoulders set off another string of tingling shivers. As he rose to his full height, he caressed her left leg as it stretched up along his chest, before he lowered it so she could wrap it around his waist, along with the other one. She admired the unearthly beauty of his form and sat up on the edge of the bed so she could touch him. A small smile curved her lips when his eyes closed. It was only with her that he let his guard down, and she felt her heart swell at the thought.

She ran her hands down his chest firmly, reveling in the feel of the muscles as they tensed against her palms. She barely got to trace the kaikyuushou stripes at his waist before he leaned down to stare into her eyes. She could see his lips still glistening with traces of her juices before he captured hers and plumbed the depths of her mouth with his tongue. He drew a ragged sigh from her as he gently pushed her back down on the bed then smoothly sheathed himself inside her. He grunted softly and simply stood there for a minute, basking in the feeling of being surrounded and held tightly in her wet heat.

When he began to move, he leaned down close to her ear and asked,
How is it that of all the things I have sought and gained, -- strength, power, respect, -- the one thing that means the most, the only one I could not do without, is the one I never looked for? How is it possible that all of the things I now hold most dear are wrapped up in the small frame of one precious being?


A tear escaped the corner of her eye and ran into her hairline at the temple. She wanted to answer him back with heartfelt declarations of her own, but she couldn’t speak. So instead, she wrapped her arms tightly around him and let her actions speak for her, enveloping him in her love as completely and fully as she did into her body. Their movements quickened, and the sweet passion between them built until with a cry, Kagome clutched her mate tightly and clasped him to her.Sesshoumaru, I will never stop loving you.

Then this Sesshoumaru will be content all of his days, koishii.



A small sob escaped her throat and she wrapped her arms around her pillow, desperate for the feelings of being held and cherished to continue, and she curled up on her side and reached out again for that cloudy haven.



Laughter rang out through the halls as he chased her into their room, slamming the door shut with his foot. She shrieked when he grabbed her around the waist and plopped her down on the large, thick futon and then pounced on her. He leered down at her then dipped his head to open the front of her yukata with his teeth. She giggled as he growled playfully and nuzzled in between her breasts. Then he grumbled as he had to sit up to take the yukata the rest of the way off.

Damn clothing just gets in the way. If I had my way, the only thing you’d be wearing is me,he said, grinning devilishly.

She giggled again.
That might be a bit awkward when we have guests for dinner.

He paused in the motions of taking off his own clothing.Ah, so I take it then that you wouldn’t object when we don’t have company?

Hmmm. I wonder what Mamoru would say if I were to go streaking through the castle?

He’d say, ‘I always knew that Kouga was a smart one.’ Then he’d go back to that mountain of paperwork he’s always got piled up on that monstrous desk of his.

A thoughtful look came over Kagome’s face.That really is a huge desk, isn’t it? I wonder how sturdy it is?

Kouga gave her a startled look, then let out a bark of laughter.I think you are beginning to sound a bit like me, itoshii. Maybe I am finally rubbing off on you.And he suited his actions to his words, causing her to break out in a fresh round of giggles, which rapidly turned into a moan as a large hand covered one of her breasts, kneading softly. The fingers of the other hand began to circle and explore the already-tightened bud of the nipple of the other one.

Soon, he replaced his hand with his mouth and began to suckle gently. When he reached down between her legs, he was pleased to find she was already wet and ready for him. He sat up on his knees and pulled her up with him, lifting her so she could slide down onto his hard, throbbing length. Holding her tightly around the waist with one arm, while the other one supported her buttocks, he quickly established a steady rhythm as he lifted her up and down, impaling her over and over with a smooth motion that had them both gasping for breath. Kagome rubbed her cheek into the side of his neck, whispering,
Aishiteru, aishiteru,over and over until Kouga came with a roar, pushing her over the edge with him.

He collapsed onto the bed, taking her with him, never releasing his tight grip on her.
I would have waited for you forever, Kagome, and it still would have been worth it.

I don’t deserve you, Kouga,she said, lifting her head to look into his eyes.

Well, hell, I know that -- you deserve a lot better than some mangy old wolf, but you’re stuck with me anyway,he said with a grin.

She smiled at him then.There’s no one I’d rather be stuck with. I really do love you, you know, with all my heart.

That’s good to know, since you’ve had mine for so long. Now if we could just get rid of all those damn clothes hanging in your wardrobe over there, I’d be a very happy Taiyoukai.

Oh, you!She smacked his chest lightly and smiled.If all I’m going to be wearing around here is you, then you’d better not let go of me, all right? Otherwise, it might get pretty cold, especially in the wintertime.

He looked at her seriously for a moment, understanding exactly what she was saying.Don’t worry. Now that I have you, I won’t let go.



She struggled against the pull of wakefulness. Just once, she wished she could stay in their arms instead of having to face the light of day. Because except for the remembered passion of her heated dreams, it was always cold when she woke up.
------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------


Kagome jumped up. It wasn’t just cold in her bed, it was freezing! “Wha …?” she looked down at herself to find that her clothes and covers were dripping wet. She looked around wildly until her eyes lit on a tall, familiar figure standing at the foot of her futon, holding a bucket.

“Good morning, daughter. I recommend you dry off and then come outside to join me.”

“Master Zhang!” She looked down at herself. “And what am I supposed to wear?”

He laughed and threw her a simple, white kosode, then stepped outside of the small hut they were in. Rolling her eyes at his eccentricities, she stood up and took off her wet clothing and put on the kosode. She chuckled a bit at the thought that it was a good thing Zhang wasn’t a hentai like Miroku had been.

When she walked out into the sunlight, she covered her eyes with a hand, wincing at the brightness. Then she walked over to where her sifu was sitting, and sat down beside him, assuming the Lotus pose in preparation for meditation. “How long was I out?”

“Three days.”

“Crap. The boys are going to have a fit.”

“They are young, they will get over it,” he told her. Then he looked at her intently. “You sent for me because you wish me to teach you more, but you were an easy target, and easily taken down. I have never seen you so unfocused.”

Embarrassed, Kagome blushed and looked down at the ground. “Gomen nasai, Sifu. I do not mean to be unworthy of your teachings. I will try harder.”

“Daughter, you know very well that you are not unworthy. And I think you also know what has you so distracted. You are simply too stubborn to admit it. It is not a weakness unless you let it become one.”

She looked at him in confusion. “I don’t know what you mean.”

He chuckled at her then. “I think it was quite obvious from your dreams. How long has it been since your wolf mate died? It is time you thought about finding another love.”

Kagome, who had been blushing profusely at his reference to her erotic dreams, suddenly shouted, “No!” Agitatedly, she looked away from her friend and teacher. “I will not do that again. I don’t have the heart for it.”

The Immortal leaned towards her and put a hand on her shoulder. “If you don’t, then I don’t know who does. It is your capacity for love and acceptance that caught the attention of the kami and made them choose you. You are simply letting your fears get in the way.”

“I will not be the cause of the deaths of anyone else I hold dear. Never again,” she vowed.

“You did not cause your mates’ deaths,” he said gently.

“You don’t know that,” she whispered brokenly. “Even I don’t know that.”

Zhang studied her carefully for a moment, before closing his eyes to begin his meditations. “I do know that you are feeling a void in your life, and it is making you incomplete. And until you can find a way to fill it, it will impede your progress and prevent you from attaining your goals.”

Kagome continued to stare at him for a long time until she, too, closed her eyes and began to meditate.
------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------------------


The atmosphere in the house had gone from strained and tense to downright stormy and ugly. It had been 6 days since Zhang Senfeng had appeared out of nowhere and disappeared again just as quickly with the miko. After the 3rd day, Hiei and Kurama had confronted her sons and demanded to know where she was. While seeing the paintings had introduced just the smallest sliver of doubt in their minds, her continued absence was leading them to believe she was trying to escape justice. And doing a damn good job of it. There had been no new information sent from the Reikai, and they hadn’t been able to get any of the boys or retainers to open up again. And her sons simply told them that she would be back when Zhang brought her back.

After 4 days had passed, Kurama had finally managed to get into the wooden chest in her room. It had taken several attempts to find a way through the barrier without destroying it, but once he was in he had almost pulled his hair out in frustration. At first, as far as he could tell, it just held mementos of sentimental value. There was a necklace made of bits of bead and bone that seemed to hold some kind of ki in it. It felt similar to Kagome’s miko ki, but was a little different. There was also a long, fluffy, white mokomoko, and a headband with two matching wristbands. Also inside were several small kimonos, which he assumed had belonged to her sons when they were little.

Then, off to the side at the bottom, under some maps detailing the borders of the Western lands, he found a tattered-looking scroll. When he had unwrapped it, he saw only three lines of script sloppily written in what he would classify as not-very-educated feminine handwriting. It said: “You won’t get away with it, bitch. You know if you hadn’t been carrying his heir, he would have left you for me. You may have his son, but I had his love.” He had rolled it back up and hidden it in his shirt, then carefully replaced the other things before returning the chest to its former warded and protected condition so no one could tell it had been opened.

After showing the others, they had summoned Botan to take it into the Reikai. They all assumed it was written by Princess Ayame, but wanted Koenma to check it out and compare the writing to some other documents she would have written on. Naturally, this had fanned the flames of suspicion again in everyone but Kuwabara, who steadfastly maintained that Princess Ayame was just a bitter female who had tried to hurt Kagome out of jealousy. Since they still couldn’t prove anything one way or the other, they let the matter drop, for now. But it hung in the air, coloring their thoughts and adding to their anxiety over whether or not the miko would actually return.

No one spoke as they sat down to dinner, since talking always seemed to lead to accusations and threats on both sides. The two notable exceptions being Kuwabara and Sassouta, who were both feeling a bit harried by their constant attempts to keep the peace. Yusuke, who while he didn’t necessarily think the young widow was guilty, wasn’t sure what he believed and was willing to try to keep an open mind about things until they had some real proof. But he was nonetheless quite agitated by the fact that she was still gone. (If Koenma ever finds out, he’ll have my head!) To make matters worse, Botan had informed them that Lord Yemon would be coming to visit Kagome in just a few days. Thankfully, he had been delayed because he was trying to keep the news of her reappearance a secret. So far, they had been lucky and Princess Ayame hadn’t heard the rumors. Or at least, she hadn’t stormed into Koenma’s office yet. And the detectives hadn’t even told the sons yet that Yemon knew they were back, let alone that he wanted their mother for his mate. That was going to be a really interesting discussion. But unless Kagome returned, that was the least of their problems.

Suddenly, a huge wave of power washed over them and drew their attention to the back doors that led into the enclosed garden. Sassouta jumped up to open the doors and let their visitor in. Getting their first good look at Zhang, the detectives noted that he was almost 7 feet tall and a bit paunchy. He had large ears and surprisingly round eyes and his long, thick beard and mustache were as dark as the hair twisted up on the crown of his head. He was wearing a Daoist cassock with a palm-bark cape, and they hung in a crumpled manner on his frame. In his arms was the miko. She looked exceedingly small next to him, and seemed to be asleep. It was readily apparent that the only thing she had on was a plain white kosode, and her legs were bare all the way up to her thighs.

As he walked into the house, Zhang inhaled deeply. “Ahhh. Dinner.” He handed Kagome over to Shippou and went and sat down at the table.

Eishumaru rolled his eyes at him and walked into the kitchen. “I’ll tell them to keep the stove fired up.”

Daitano walked over to Zhang. “Did you even feed her while you were gone?”

Zhang ran a hand through his whiskers and appeared to think about it. Then he shook his head. “No, now that you mention it, I don’t believe I did. She was unconscious for 3 days and then we meditated. Now here we are.”

“You’ve been gone for six days!” Daitano growled at him.

“Has it been that long? No wonder I’m so hungry. Please sit down and pass the rice.”

Shippou told Daitano, “Go ahead and eat. I’ll take her to her room. Just send up some water and fruit.” And as he turned to go to the stairs, he glared at Yusuke and Kurama, who were still standing there with their eyes fastened on the uncharacteristic amount of flesh the woman was showing, albeit unknowingly. He let out a low warning growl when the slight scent of arousal hit his nose before Kurama immediately composed himself and his scent evaporated. Yusuke, however, couldn’t resist commenting, “Damn! She really does have great legs.”

Hiei, who had been standing further away, had been careful not to be so obvious about his own perusal of said flesh. But now he swore viciously to himself. He had finally stopped seeing those maddening images of her and had been able to rest comfortably in his own pants again the past two days. Now it was obvious he was going to be going swimming again. It had been worse right after seeing those damn paintings, as his mind had liked to substitute himself in the wolf Taiyoukai’s place every time he tried to close his eyes. But Hiei refused to be a slave to his desires, and he had forcefully pushed those thoughts from his mind, replacing them instead with thoughts of battle and blood. He had pushed himself hard in his training sessions with Daitano, and had pushed the young inuyoukai even harder, but he never complained. Truth be told, he was becoming quite impressed with the eldest son’s determination and drive. But now the onna was back, and so was his problem. Damn it.

As everyone sat back down at the table to eat, they were amazed by the sheer amount of food the Chinese priest was inhaling. Two hours later, he was still shoveling it in. The boys and retainers didn’t seem surprised by this, though, and had made sure a steady supply of food was forthcoming from the kitchen. When he was finally finished, he gave a satisfied sigh and asked to be shown to his room because he would begin training with Kagome first thing in the morning. Sassouta took him up to the 3rd floor where Jaken, Myouga, Ginta, Hakkaku and Kurama were staying. Then he and his brothers went to check on their mother before turning in early for the night.

When everyone else was gone, Yusuke let out a sigh of relief. “Whew! At least she’s back. I was getting pretty nervous there for a while.”

“I can’t believe that old man didn’t feed her anything for six days!” Kuwabara said. “I hope she’s okay.”

“She’s fine, you baka. Didn’t you hear him say he’s going to start training her in the morning?” Hiei snapped.

“I wonder what he’s going to teach her? Some swordsmanship with the jian, perhaps?” Kurama speculated.

“Hn. We’ll find out tomorrow.” And Hiei left the others to their thoughts until they, too, turned in for the night.
---------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------------


As it turned out, they were not able to find out what her sifu was teaching her because between the two of them they set up a black barrier around the field. This led to some cursing and threats, along with a few attempts to penetrate the barrier to ascertain whether or not she was really there or if she was trying to get away again. But when it came down at lunchtime, and the miko and her sifu calmly walked back to the house to join the others, the detectives had to be content that she wasn’t going anywhere, even if they didn’t know exactly what she was up to. That didn’t set well with three of them.

Knowing Lord Yemon was due to visit in just two days, Kurama recommenced dogging her steps at every opportunity. Holding her chair for her at the dinner table that night, he let his hands accidentally brush along the sides of her breasts when he scooted it in slightly. As they all sat in the game room that evening while the boys told her what they had been working during her absence, the avatar sat next to her on a small sofa and trailed his arm along the back of it behind her. When she reached for her glass that was sitting on a small coffee table in front of them, he leaned over, too, rubbing his chest against her back and side. With his longer arms, he reached the glass first, and picking it up, he forced her to settle back into the seat before handing it to her. His motions had brought them so close together that she was practically sitting right up against him now. He grinned devilishly at her and whispered in her ear, “No need to exert yourself, sweetheart, I’m more than happy to serve you however I can.” Then he spent the rest of the evening discreetly playing with a few strands of her hair with the hand that was draped across couch behind her. Daitano raised a brow at his actions, and Shippou frowned disapprovingly, while Eishumaru looked slightly amused by them.

When they all decided to go to bed for the night, Kurama caught her hand and pulled her to him. He lifted her hand to his mouth and slowly ran his lips across the back of it before turning it over and doing the same at the inside of her wrist. “Sleep well, Kagome,” he said huskily, with a gleam in his golden eyes. She stared at him for a minute, then turned away and went up the stairs, feeling his eyes following her.

Yusuke slapped him on the back. “You da man, Kurama,” he said admiringly.



She moaned low in her throat as he grunted slightly right before grasping her hips and quickening his movements. As the heavenly rocking motion gave way to firmer, quicker thrusts, so did the pleasant escalation of the tightening sensations coursing through her nerves and muscles give way to a sudden full-out assault on her senses that soon had her gasping and reaching for that summit that was so familiar, yet always so incredibly, surprisingly new. She could feel him thickening inside her, and it caused her to clench tightly around him in response. His warm breath caressed her ear as he whispered hoarsely, “Kagome …” and she felt herself rise over the edge and come crashing down around him.



Stifling a moan, Kagome sat up. She was tangled in her sheets, and covered in a thin coat of sweat. The feel of her overheated body against the coolness of her covers made her shiver in discomfort, and she quickly got up and wrapped her robe around her. Like she had so many nights before, she headed outside to walk in the garden.

She sighed. (Damn that Hojo. Why did he have to kiss me?) Ever since Kouga had died, Kagome had kept to herself and her friends. She had had offers from a few other youkai to become their mate, as well as quite a few marriage proposals from ningen men. But she was adamant in her determination never to bond with someone like that again. And even though she had had her fair share of erotic dreams and memories of making love with each of her mates, they hadn’t been so persistent or disturbing for decades. But ever since Hojo had kissed her …

It really had nothing to do with him, personally, it was the damn kiss. She didn’t think she had been kissed in the last 60 - 70 years before they went into hiding. And only two or three times before that since Kouga had died, and each time it had left her cold and unmoved. But now, there was that Spirit Detective who seemed determined to disturb her peace of mind, too. (Damn kitsune avatar. What kind of game is he playing? And why?) She couldn’t deny he was very attractive -- damn sexy, in fact, and his little methods were quite successful. Too successful. (Kitsunes and their damn seduction skills. I’ve never known one to be so blatant before, though.) Now she was having these dreams every night. She sighed. This was not helping.

She left the garden and headed for the open field, hoping for some cool breezes to clear her mind and lower her temperature. When she reached the field, she remembered the lake and quickly made her way there. (Perfect. Just what I need to shake this lingering heat.) She quickly shed her robe and sleeping yukata, and immediately dived into the chilly waters. Remembering what Shippou had told her about the far side being shallow enough that she could stand up in it, she crossed the entire lake underwater before surfacing and gulping in air in reaction to the shock of the cold. (Damn, it‘s freezing!) Before she had another thought, a voice from right behind her growled in her ear.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing, onna?”
---------------------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------------------

A/N: I know I told someone that Lord Yemon would make his appearance in this chapter, but when I started writing, Inuyasha, Sesshoumaru, and Kouga demanded their time first -- after all, she was theirs first.

Sifu - a kung fu master -- teacher/father
Zhang Sanfeng - a semi-mythical Chinese priest and legend -- I tried to stay true to accounts of his appearance, history, and skills -- including the nickname “Sloppy Zhang,” and the fact that he could supposedly go for long periods of time without eating, but that when he did, look out!
Jian - a Chinese two-sided sword, ranging from a foot-and-a-half to 2 and 2/3 feet in length
Gaki - brat
Kurotomesode, irotomesode, tomesode - women’s kimonos ranging in style from the most formal to everyday -- these styles are worn by married women
Iromuji - a special style kimono worn for tea ceremonies
Kamon - family crest
Ne - eh?
Kaikyuushou - rank insignia -- I use the term for the stripes designating Taiyoukai status
Sashinuki hakamas - hakama pants that are gathered at the ankle to create the “ballooning” effect
Kosode - usually a plain, white shirt worn as an undergarment
Mokomoko - Sesshoumaru’s ultra-stylish, fluffy, white boa
Hai - yes
Gomen nasai - “forgive me” -- a formal apology
Koishii - beloved (I thought this rather dignified endearment would appeal to Sesshoumaru.)
Itoshii - darling (While this more casual one had Kouga written all over it. *I really didn’t see Inuyasha calling her anything but Kagome.)
Mamoru - Kouga’s advisor -- justice
Naoko - Lord Yemon’s father -- straight, honest
Yemon - Kagome’s soon-to-be suitor -- guarding the gate

You reviewers are awesome!!

Miss Mischief - Yes, the team will probably go back and forth a few times as new evidence is discovered, though Kuwabara is pretty firmly in her corner. And I liked the idea of presenting a more ruthless version of Youko in this. Yep, yep, and yep -- Hiei is totally suspicious, totally attracted, and totally irritated because of it.
Yue no rei - Thanks for the kind words -- I hope it continues to appeal to you!
SadBrokenWings - I hope you have managed to hold onto your sanity so far -- I felt so guilty about the evil cliffy that I just had to go ahead and get this chapter out to you -- I hope you like it!
Sardave - Yeah, poor Hiei. Heh heh! It had just hit me that her family really had no idea of her powers, so I thought they should get to see them -- glad you liked it.
Fox Vixen - You were so right about her knowing the guy in the straw hat!
Selenitypotter - Okay, now I’m worried -- am I rushing this too much? Am I losing quality to enthusiasm? Seriously, let me know, because I’ve just been so into this storyline that I work on it every day, therefore putting out a chapter a week, or less. But if I need to sit back and slow it down for the good of the story, I can do that.
Animeboysrock23 - Did she or didn’t she? That is the question, isn’t it? As you could see in this chapter, there’s something really hazy about the events in the past, and even Kagome has her doubts.
Bloodbunny - Glad you liked the fighting style and training details. Yeah, poor Hiei is just getting roped into everything, and he doesn’t like it one bit. Hojo was my catalyst for things to come -- darn him! Kissing her like that! Now Kurama’s getting her all hot and bothered. What’s a miko to do?
Heart Star - Yeah, … *scratches back of neck sheepishly* … he wasn’t really a villain, was he? Sorry about that. Wow! I am so impressed that you picked up on the two-edged sword being unusual -- you’re sharp!
Lillian9 - I am completely flattered that you think I may be able to do justice to a Kurama/Kagome fic. I actually have a Kur/Kag one-shot partially finished that’s been sitting on my computer just waiting for me to get inspired enough to finish it. My trouble is I’m in love with Hiei right now, -- er, I mean with Hiei/Kag. (Shhh! Don’t tell my husband, -- even though I think he suspects from the picture of Hiei I have sitting on my computer hutch for inspiration.) But, I’m sure I will branch out in the future.
Angelwings21 - Don’t worry -- our favorite little fire demon will get his miko in this one.
Halfblackwolfdemon - Hojo does have a knack for showing up and doing the wrong thing at the wrong time, doesn’t he? And you described Hiei’s feelings perfectly -- he’d like to “do” her and turn her in to the Reikai so he could forget her. Some of Kurama’s distrust of her is flowing from his growing fondness for Eishumaru, who he thinks is a great kid. And I’m handling Youko a little differently in this one -- less charming, more ruthless. He let a past slight from Sesshoumaru color his thoughts a bit at first, and all he was interested in was having what Sess had. Now he’s also in Eishumaru’s corner and thinks if Kagome is guilty that she’s a liability to him, so he wants to expose her to help the kid.
Alissa - Now that was a true compliment! I am honored to have brought you over to the crossover. I started out the same way as a plain “InuYasha” fan, too. I hope you continue to enjoy this story as it unfolds!
Hentai Vixen - Is this soon enough? It hasn’t even been a week yet!
Kawaii-KeKe-Chan - I have to confess to enjoying watching Hiei sweat it, too. He’s going to be doing even more coming up!
Youkos Kitsune - Thanks you so much for your kind words! I’m glad you’re enjoying this, and I hope you continue to do so!
Inuyasha 1234 - Well, her powers didn’t protect her because her sifu is an Immortal, and he was able to sneak up on her. (And she wasn’t focused, as he pointed out.) I’m sorry you missed some sleep on account of this, but, hey! I’ve missed a LOT of sleep because I sit up all night writing it. Maybe there’s a connection there somewhere
Smilingkitsune - I hope everyone is having a little fun speculating on what happened, and who is going to piss off the boys next. So far, Hiei is ahead in that department. Yeah, Kurama and Youko are looking at this differently than the others are, partly because Youko got his feathers ruffled by Sesshoumaru all those years ago. He pretty much got caught up in the idea of having something Sess had, -- namely Kagome, and so his more ruthless side is showing through a bit. Now, he and Kurama both have developed a fondness for Eishumaru (as a student) and they want to make sure he isn’t hurt by his lying, murdering mother. So, that’s what’s behind their attitudes.
Loveinuyasha911 - You’re double-dipping on two sites, aren’t you? LOL!! I appreciate the vote of confidence. Sorry, no Jak in this story.