Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Paradox ❯ Fact or Fiction? ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay, so, first off, I am SOO sorry for the lack of updates. I just haven't been feeling up to writing, and to all those writers out there, I'm sure you know what I mean.
 
If you see anything wrong with spelling, point em out. Some people spell other things differently when it comes to certain terms in the YYH universe, like 'Reikai' and all those others I'm not familiar about.
 
Read, Review, and as always Enjoyyy!! XDD
 
-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;- ;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Kagome's Thoughts--
 
#Hiei's Thoughts#
 
*Kurama's Thoughts*
 
#Youko's Thoughts#
 
-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;- ;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
Disclaimer- As much as I wish I did, I DO NOT own Inuyasha or Yu Yu Hakusho, just the plot of this story and any OC's that happen to pop up! XD
 
-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;- ;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--Paradox--
-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;- ;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
Previously-
He could practically feel the spirit within him cock his head in response.*Hey Red, what's with Shortie?* he asked curiously.
Kurama's eyes narrowed in deep thought. *I don't know Youko...whatis wrong, Hiei?*
One of Hiei's eyes cracked open send a lidded stare back at Kurama.
#Nothing fox...# Hiei's eyes slid close once again, basking in the hurtful, yet wistful memories from so long ago.
When his eyes opened once more, ruby red orbs glared at the stormy blue sky which so painfully reminded him of her. #It's nothing at all...# he thought bitterly.
Kurama glanced at Hiei skeptically and concern seeped into his gaze.
--0--0--
A young woman gazed out her window into the same darkening sky, staring with solemn blue-grey eyes out into the nothingness. Her small fists clutched at the blanket that enveloped her.
Her lips trembled slightly. A whisper floated into the air. “It's soon…I can feelit…”
-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;- ;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
--Fact or Fiction?--
--In the Past--
 
It was half past noon during an average day of shard hunting/following Naraku.
 
Aside from a few shards here and there, the jewel was collected for the most part. Of course, Naraku had almost half of the jewel - they only had a bit over a quarter, and Kouga had two shards.
 
Because of this predicament, there was no point in focusing on the jewel shards, so their main goal was to track down Naraku by any means necessary and the only thing that warranted a detour was sensing a jewel shard.
 
Oh, and if Kagome needed to go home for something of course.
 
As it was, Kagome was packing up their supplies after they finished their lunch as Inuyasha hassled them to speed it up.
 
The miko let out a annoyed huff. Standing up, she shot the hanyou a pointed stare. "If you want us to get moving already, then do something productive, like oh, I dunno, lend a hand or something!" she retorted sarcastically, shooting an irritated stare at her best friend.
 
Inuyasha's face twisted at her words and he snorted. "Keh, as if. Cleaning up is woman's work, just like cooking and all that other crap," he said rudely, crossing his arms.
 
Promptly, Miroku looked at Inuyasha with horror and Shippo gaped at him, for good reasons too-
 
Sango stood stock-still in mid-bend from picking up a stray water bottle. Slowly, she straightened and her eyes narrowed threateningly, as if daring him to say something else. Fire flared in her cocoa eyes.
 
Kagome was more vocal in her efforts as her left eye twitched as if on fire. "Inuyasha?" she inquired calmly, a small smile on her face.
 
If you looked closely, you could tell it was forced.
 
Oblivious to the two ticking time bombs otherwise known as Kagome and Sango, Inuyasha answered blindly. "Whaddya want wench?"
 
Her smile turn sickly sweet. "Yeaaa - sit boy," she drawled out lightly, before going back to cleaning up.
 
'Bam!' "Ka-go-me!!"
 
Sango smirked triumphantly while the other two males winced at the loud bang that followed.
 
Sango approached the Inuyasha-shaped hole, looking down in it as she spoke. "Woman's work huh? Say that again and you might find poison in your food one day..." she threatened, smirk widening in satisfaction at the following sound of gulping.
 
Even Miroku and Shippo paled at the possibility at that; Kagome was the only one who began laughing, eyes sparkling with mirth.
 
--0--0--
 
A few sits and bumps to the head later had the group walking along the dirt trail, heading west as per due to a lead from Koga. Unsurprisingly, Inuyasha begrudgingly followed the wolf's direction, seeing as he had little choice otherwise due to Kagome's 'special'...persuasion...
 
Kagome walked on happily as she chatted with Sango, Shippo perched loyally on her shoulder as Kirara was on Sango's, and oblivious to the dark presence behind them.
 
Inuyasha grumbled and glared at the back of Kagome's head, eye twitching as his hand coddled the throbbing bump on his head.
 
Only a few minutes passed before something in the back of Kagome's mind began to prickle lightly.
 
At first she just ignored it, passing it off as her imagination while she continued to chat animatedly with the only other female in the group.
 
Kagome stopped short when the prickling became stronger. Disregarding Sango's confused and concerned look, Kagome turned to face Inuyasha, her mouth set at a tight line.
 
"I sense a jewel shard, somewhere north west." Her voice was serious as was her expression.
 
Inuyasha merely smirked, forgetting his previous anger at the girl. "Then what the hell are we standing here for - let's go!" he exclaimed, bounding over to Kagome and roughly pulling her onto his back.
 
Kagome let out a startled yelp at first and Shippo's little claws dug tighter into her shoulder.
 
It wasn't long until Kagome let out a breathless laugh and waved her hand over to Sango and Miroku, who were currently clambering on Kirara's back with fervor. "C'mon guys, before Inuyasha leaves you behind!" she laughed out, making Inuyasha's smirk only grow wider.
 
Sango and Miroku shared grins before shaking their heads at their companion.
 
--0--0--
 
A dark figure stalked through the forest, opting to jump through tree after tree rather than to travel through the convenient trail situated merely ten yards from him.
 
An evil smirk spread through his face soon enough as the aura of a few demons came closer.
 
His eyes flickered to the sky, making a decision on the sun's position. The smirk grew larger, darker even. #Hn, there is time to spare...# He thought as he made a beeline for the three dark energy signals, which were larger than the usual demon.
 
He needed some fun, and a fight was the way to do it.
 
Soon enough, he was face to face with three snake demons. Two of them looked like actual huge snakes, while the other one took on a humanoid form - obviously the leader. Pale brown scales could be seen along his cheeks and forearms, and his eyes were black slits in surrounding orange.
 
The leader stepped forward to address the intruder. "Look what we have here boysss. Fresssh meat." he said in a drawled out chuckle.
 
One of his minions stumbled back in shock though, his expression a mix of fear and recognition. "Th-that's the forbidden child, Hiei! I recognize him from the description my brother's mate gave me! He killed Tasssu!"
 
The other minion hissed in pure fear, cringing at the name. "I've heard rumors of him! He's a ruthless murderer!"
 
"Sssilence!" The leader hissed in fury. "I am not afraid of you, forbidden child!" he drawled out in a snarl, voice coated with distaste. "I have power now, I can take you."
 
A black eyebrow raised in response, and ruby eyes surveyed his opponent. A disgusted snort escaped from the back of his throat before long. #A jewel shard, how pathetic. Only a weakling depends on a power not their own, power they neither deserved, nor trained for or earned.#
 
Despite the other demon's words, his smirk only became larger. "A simple jewel shard changes nothing." His stance went lax. "You can still run, I wouldn't mind a chase. Maybe if you beg, I will go easy." his voice was dark, taunting.
 
It wasn't as if he would have in the first place anyways...
 
For a moment, fear instilled in the demon, but it was soon overcame by false arrogance and confidence. "It will be you begging for mercy, not me."
 
The snake demon gave a sickening smile to the other male as he continued. "It will not only be my duty to remove your unwanted presence form thisss world, but a pleasssure at that. Prepare to die you hybrid."
 
Said 'hybrid' merely offered a sadistic tilt of the lips, and the sounds of a sword unsheathing filled the air. A deep, rough voice followed. "Good. I was hoping you'd say that."
 
-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;- ;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
--In the Present--
 
Kurama sighed as he stepped down from the last step of long stairs that headed up to a shrine.
 
His eyes found his more than often silent companion as the demon suddenly appeared next to him out of nowhere. "I think that will be my last shrine for the day." he wearily commented as he started to walk in the direction of his home.
 
Honestly, one fable tale after another of a shrine's history isn't all that interesting. Especially when the content isn't very intriguing as one thought...
 
Even Youko couldn't stand it; after the first shrine's endless droning of history, the spirit was quick to recede and sleep. It didn't help the spirit that the men and women they were speaking to were old and unappealing to boot.
 
His companion raised an eyebrow at him. "Does that mean you're finished with this pointless researching at last?" his tone nothing but dry.
 
"It's not pointless, it's educating Hiei. And I need it for my thesis." Kurama reprimanded lightly.
 
Hiei scoffed. "Education won't help you in a fight." he muttered, blunt as ever.
 
Kurama's eyes flickered with amusement. "I don't know...maybe I can toss a fact or two about history to confuse them before taking them out. They'll never know what hit them." he teased lightly.
 
Hiei only let out another scoff. "Hn."
 
Kurama chuckled softly but shrugged nonetheless. "But no, I was hoping to be finished with my research by today, oh well. I only have one left, I should be able to go tomorrow. Will you be accompanying me to this one as well?" Emerald eyes peered at his demon friend.
 
Hiei shook his head sharply, his eyes narrowing in anger. "The monkey somehow managed to get Yukina to agree to go out with him for lunch." he muttered darkly.
 
Kurama hid a smile, lest have his friend direct his anger his own way. "That's right, but it's nothing to be worried about. You know Yukina wouldn't think of it as a date...I'm not sure she even knows what that is..." he said blankly.
 
Hiei snorted, nodding shortly in agreement. "But the idiot believes it is," he pointed out. "Someone has to make sure the buffoon doesn't try anything." His voice was cross.
 
Kurama bit his lip, trying hard not to laugh at Hiei's show of 'brotherly protection'.
 
Honestly, he felt bad for Kuwabara. It was obvious his feelings for Yukina were sincere, but it never had the chance to bloom with Hiei's constant sabotaging.
 
It wasn't by just pure chance that the poor boy came to Genkai's shrine in hopes to ask the ice demoness for a date, only to forget the moment he set foot on the property every time and again.
 
Hiei was adamant in his attempts to keep his sister away from the psychic's clutches, that much was certain...
 
Kurama sighed, making a decision. "You're coming with me to the shrine." he said firmly.
 
Hiei blinked at the sudden demand, and turned to look at Kurama with a raised eyebrow. "Why?" he asked cautiously, his eyes narrowing suspiciously. "What's in it for me?"
 
Kurama smirked. "Well, for one, you won't go to Reikai prison for killing Kuwabara."
 
Hiei snorted at that. "As if I'd be stupid enough to leave evidence implicating me." he retorted, his tone matter of fact.
 
It would be of someone else, of course...
 
Kurama rolled his eyes, ignoring him as he continued. "And two, you might learn something of interest; I saved the best for last. I heard the Sunset shrine specializes in Feudal legends, particularly the Shikon no Tama and it's miko protector."
 
Hiei's head snapped to Kurama at that. #Shikon no Tama, you say?# he conveyed telepathically.
 
Raising an eyebrow, Kurama nodded, continuing their conversation silently as he looked ahead. *Yes, interested in hearing of the "cursed jewel"? Maybe it will shed some light to it...* the fox's voice was teasing.
 
In contrast, Hiei's thoughts were much more harsher. #The legend of the Shikon no Tama is just that, a legend. Merely a fabricated tale to scare little demons from the human realm, in fear of mikos.#
 
Kurama's head snapped over to send the fire demon a surprised look, not expecting such a response.
 
Hiei turned away from his friend, glaring into the air. His mouth as set into a tight line as his thoughts turned to hatred. #It does not exist.# he thought darkly, pausing momentarily before he continued.
 
#It never did.#
 
-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;- ;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-;-
 
Words- 1,920
 
I am deeply sorry for the late update. Honestly the past few months have been hell.
 
Between school with finals and projects and what not, life with friends, lack of inspiration and ideas, and to top it all off my dad going to the hospital, I haven't had much luck.
 
Thankfully summer's here and my dad is fine as of now (docs don't know what'swrong just yet but he seems the same as before), so I'm hoping with the fading stress the ideas come flowing.
 
But enough with the excuses and what not. What do you think of this chapter? I'm gonna have fun with this, story, I just know it. XDD Especially with the differences between past Hiei and future Hiei.
 
Also, what is the correct way to spell the Japanese word for 'tear gem'? I've seen so many variations it's crazy ^^;;;
 
Well, that's all for now, till next time! ^^
 
-RainLily
 
--Reviews—
 
Wow guys, you all never seem to cease to amaze me with those amazing reviews!! Thank you guys so much, love you all(in a completely friendly, non-crazy/weird way...)! It brightens up my day every time I read em… ^^
 
A big huge honking thanks to these awesome reviewers!!
 
Kita Tsuki- Thanks!! Haha, I love Hiei too, he's so fun to write!! XD
 
KEdakumi- Thanks!! ^^ Hmm, yeah, I've noticed a lot of my chapters come out like that with blended words, but I swear that's not actually my fault. My docs are completely blended-word-free (well, for the most part ^^;;) but whenever I post a chapter on MM.org, it messes it up and I don't know how to fix it. Gahh, the map key lol. My dilemma is that while some people get confused when the thoughts don't have specific symbols, others don't like it, like you mentioned. Really, I've tried to work it out so you don't need the key, you can ignore them and still understand. Trust me, I find it annoying to type it like that too, but what can I do? 'shrugs'
 
HeartStar- Thank you!! :)