Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through Hell and Back ❯ Distractions and Choices ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 5
Distractions and Choices
By the time Hiei stopped on the other side of the next barrier, he was sweaty, shaking from exhaustion, and gasping for breath. Kagome quickly dug a bottle of water from her backpack and handed it to him.
“Thanks.” Hiei gasped out as he snatched the water and downed it.
“You don't look so good…” Kagome said, worry coloring her tone.
“Yeah, that took a lot out of me.”
“Well why didn't you say something?” Kagome exclaimed as she slipped the pendant off and handed it to him. “My sacred energy should be okay for a while.” She said, holding out the pendant as she rummaged through her bag for another bottle of water. When Hiei didn't take it from her she looked up just in time to see a sword flying at her. She dodged in time, but her backpack's shoulder strap was the unfortunate victim of Hiei's blade.
“What's your problem!” she yelled, but quickly had to dodge another swing of his blade. Had he not been so slow due to his lack of energy, Kagome was certain she'd be dead already.
One look at Hiei's face told her that something was wrong with him. His eyes were blank and dark, with a cold, predatory gleam in them. His mouth was set into a cruel smirk, and his whole appearance seemed much more demonic than it had moments before.
Kagome dodged two more swings. “Hiei, snap out of it!” Hiei kept coming at her, her pleas having no effect on him.
Kagome grabbed her bag and ran into the thick fog, hoping that when she came out on the other side she could find somewhere to hide while she came up with an idea, only, she never came out of the fog. It seemed to go on forever. It wasn't until her feet splashed into water that she realized the fog was part of this realm, not just it's barrier.
She squinted hard but she couldn't see to the other side of the water.
Great, so I have no idea how wide or deep this thing is.
She had already guessed from its formidable current that it was a river, not a lake. Kagome stepped back onto dry land and began walking upstream, hoping to find a calmer place to attempt to cross. She came to an abrupt stop when she heard Hiei step into the river ahead. She held her breath until she was convinced from the sound that he was heading away from her.
I can't let him get too far away, I might never find him again in this fog.
Kagome picked her way carefully over the rocky terrain of the riverbed, the fog making her steps uncertain, and slowing her down more than she would've liked. After a few minutes of walking, Kagome gasped as she heard the sound of clashing metal and war cries in the distance.
Hiei!
She broke into a run, forgetting all the reasons for her caution.
He can't die here! I won't let him be trapped!
When she found Hiei he was in the midst of a seemingly endless sea of warriors caught in a battle that appeared to be a free for all.
 
She watched with horror as Hiei thrust his sword into an attacking enemy. The enemy, who was a spirit, was undeterred, and continued charging Hiei, running into his sword in order to thrust his own into Hiei's forearm. Hiei barely flinched as the spirit ripped the sword from his arm and prepared to take a swing at Hiei's throat.
Kagome quickly used on of her arrows to knock the sword from the ghostly hand. Just as she lowered her bow she felt a sharp pain at her shoulder, and the hot flow of blood from a wound. By the time she turned, the one whose sword bore her blood was already engaged in another battle.
Kagome made her way carefully to Hiei, favoring her shoulder. When she got within shouting distance she saw that Hiei was in a sword lock with another fighter.
“Hiei!” The slight pause in Hiei's movements was the only confirmation she needed to know she had a chance to break whatever spell held him.
Just as Hiei pushed his opponent's back into a throng of other souls, Kagome sent another arrow flying into a sword aimed at his back. The pain that ripped through her from the simple action of pulling the bow string back was enough to bring her to her knees.
 
Hiei was aware that he was not in control of his actions. It was as if his consciousness had been taken hostage by his impulses. His blood pumped with a rage he hadn't known since he was young. He wanted blood, wanted to hear the screams of his foes, wanted to see their corpses lying in mangled masses at his feet.
Even through this rage he knew something was wrong. He had been doing something important. Despite slice after satisfying slice of his sword, there was no blood. He heard his name being called over the sounds of battle and he hesitated. Then it hit him. The sweet smell of blood flooded his nostrils, a savory aroma that he inhaled gratefully.
This is familiar…
“HIEI!” the voice that called his name was pained, and suddenly he knew.
Kagome. That's Kagome's blood.
Hiei snapped out of his trance and flew to her side. Scooping her up in his arms he ran, putting as much distance between them and the battle as possible before collapsing to the spongy ground in a useless heap. Hiei was fighting to catch his breath, and Kagome's own breathing was labored from her pain.
“Here, let me have a look.” Hiei said as he moved closer.
“It's not bad,” Kagome said as he took the belt that had still been tied around her wrist and began wrapping it around her shoulder, “It's already starting to close.”
“I'm sorry.” Hiei offered quietly after several moments of silence had passed as he finished bandaging her, and started wrapping his own arm.
“It's alright, but I'm going to need your last belt.” Kagome said as she handed Hiei the pendant.
“Why?”
“To repair what you broke!” Kagome snapped, indicating her bag.
“So you're upset about that ratty sack and not your shoulder?” Hiei asked in disbelief.
“My shoulder will heal,” Kagome explained, irritation thick in her voice, “this, however, is something I'll have to sew. I hate sewing! And more importantly, I suck at it!”
Hiei handed her his belt without another word, there was an apologetic expression on his face, but a gleam of amusement in his eyes.
She's kind of cute when she's mad.
 
****************************************************
Their trek through the rest of the level was uneventful, and Hiei was pleased to find that wearing the pendant was allowing his energy to replenish much faster, and he was feeling almost himself again by the time they reached the barrier.
Once in the next level, they were happy to be out of the fog, but found that weather in the 7th realm was gray and rainy.
Kagome sighed. “I'll be happy to be back in dry, or at least consistent, weather again.”
“Agreed. I've had enough of this rain.”
They walked in silence for nearly the entire way through this realm, both feeling exhaustion creep up on them, and not wanting to expend any unnecessary energy. Kagome was lost in thought about Inuyasha, and what she had hoped to find here. Hiei was mulling over why he'd been possessed. Why had the level of hell that controlled the souls of violent and evil warriors affected him? Had the crimes he'd committed in his youth still not been atoned for? What more must he do to redeem himself?
When they at last reached the barrier to the 8th realm, Hiei took a deep breath to steel himself for the possibility that they could have come all this way just to find nothing, before crossing through the barrier.
Upon emerging from the fog, Hiei and Kagome found themselves standing in a desert that stretched as far as they could see.
“There's…supposed to be something growing here?” Kagome asked doubtfully.
Hiei didn't respond as the jagan was already scanning the area.
“There, found it!” Hiei announced, his heart leaping into his throat with excitement, and relief ripe in his voice. “Wait here, I'll go get it.”
Kagome nodded and watched the blur that was Hiei speed half-way across the desert and up a steep incline.
The relief that consumed Hiei when the flower was actually in his hands was unlike anything he'd ever felt.
“You didn't really think I'd make it that easy, do you?”
Hiei growled at the unfamiliar voice in his mind. “Who are you?”
“I'm the one who poisoned your sister.”
“Then you're a dead man.”
“Indeed I am.” The strange voice said, filled with amusement.
“What do you want?” Hiei practically snarled.
“The priestess. Bring her to me and I'll put the correct antidote in your hands.”
“How do I know I can trust you?”
“You'll have to take my word, if you're going to though, I'd hurry. Yukina was poisoned about ten hours ago, and at 12 the creeping poison begins to shut down the organs of its victims. “
“Where do I bring her?” Hiei hated himself even as he thought the question.
“There's a castle in the 9threalm. Bring her there.”
“Just have the antidote ready.”
Hiei returned to Kagome with the flower and a pained expression.
“What is it?” Kagome asked, concern creasing her forehead.
“We have to keep going. My…friends are in the next realm, and they need my help.”
“Are they in trouble?” Kagome asked, her heart skipping a beat at the strange, dead look in Hiei's eyes.
“Not yet.” Hiei said flatly. Something in his expression was sending chills down Kagome's spine. It was like he wasn't the same person. She had no time to dwell on his sudden personality shift, however, as Hiei once again took her over his shoulder and took off running.
Hiei barely noticed when the barrier came into sight. He was lost in his thoughts, trying to think of any way around leaving Kagome at the mercy of the monster who tried to kill his sister.
I can't just leave her…then again, I did warn her that Yukina was my first priority.
“You can let me down, you know.” Kagome's words cut through Hiei's thoughts like a knife.
“What?”
“We've passed the barrier.”
“Oh.” Hiei said, setting her down as he realized they were once again standing in a foggy barrier. As they emerged, Kagome let out a gasp. This realm was by far the most heavily populated. Everywhere they looked there were souls. Souls that wept over their reflections in a lake, souls that banged their heads against trees, souls that threw themselves off of cliffs, the sounds of their tormented wails filled the silence.
“What have these people done?” Kagome asked in a small voice, clearly disturbed by the scene before them.
Hiei swallowed the lump in his throat before answering. “Betrayal.”
Kagome stayed closer to Hiei than before as they weaved their way through the souls, all too consumed by their own private hells to notice their presence.
They walked in silence toward an ominous looking castle. Hiei's guilt weighed him down more with each step. When they reached the massive courtyard of the castle, they found themselves standing in a sort of sculpture garden.
“They look so real!” Kagome exclaimed.
Hiei paused to study one. “I think they are.”
“You mean they're souls?!”
“Yes…”
Kagome gasped as one statue in particular caught her eye. “Kikyo?” Kagome walked toward the statue, coming to a halt when she saw a red bundle lying at the statue's feet.
“What is it?” Hiei asked, walking up behind her.
“Inuyasha?” Kagome ran forward, stopping when she was close enough to make out the half-demon's ghostly form. “Inuyasha!” Her voice was a mixture of relief and horror.
The form raised its head, and looked at her in response. “Kagome?”
“Inuyasha, what are you doing here?”
Inuyasha looked back at the statue of Kikyo, “Waiting.”
“Waiting? Inuyasha, you don't belong here!”
“She'll come back. Sometimes the statues wake up. I'll be here when she comes back.”
Hiei was uneasy as his Jagan searched Inuyasha's consciousness. The dead always had a peculiar feel to them, but insanity was rampant in Inuyasha's mind.
Living here, witnessing this for so long…I suppose it would drive anyone mad.
“Inuyasha,” Kagome began, her tone softening, “Please come back with us. Your soul shouldn't be here…”
“NO!” Kagome flinched at Inuyasha's tone, “I want to stay with Kikyo!”
Hiei didn't need the jagan to see Kagome's heart breaking; it was on display in her eyes.
“But…” the tears Kagome was fighting not to shed were clear in her voice.
“Just go, will ya? Leave us alone!”
 
Hiei stepped forward to rest his hand on Kagome's shoulder, pretending not to notice her tears as he guided her away from the half-demon who had already curled back up at the feet of the statue.
“Come on,” he said, “We don't have time to waste on insane ghosts.”
Kagome nodded and allowed Hiei to lead her the rest of the way to the castle.
I will not leave her here.