Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Through Hell and Back ❯ Confessions and Bargains ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6
Confessions and Bargains
Hiei threw open the castle doors with a new resolve; he kept his hand on the hilt of his sword as the doors banged shut behind them.
A large demon with a physical body, that told Hiei he had been taking energy from others for a very long time, and was thus quite powerful, stood in the main hall, flanked by two souls, one human, and one demon.
“Ah, Hiei, welcome! So glad you could join us!”
Hiei watched carefully for any signals as he replied, “You didn't leave me much choice.”
Hiei moved before he'd fully registered the demon's signal, pushing Kagome out of the way as a heavy iron cage dropped from the ceiling, trapping him.
The two spirits then rushed forward, grabbing Kagome and tying her arms behind her back with a golden cord.
“Get your hands off of her!” He growled ferociously, rattling the bars of the cage loudly.
“But that was our deal! The girl for the antidote, don't you remember?”
Hiei had expected the look of hatred Kagome gave him, but he hadn't expected the pang of hurt he felt at it. Hiei had perfected the art of ignoring guilt, but Kagome's eyes burned through him, sending stabs of self-hatred straight to his core.
“You…betrayed me?! You…son of a…”
One of the souls shook her hard. “Shut it girlie!”
Kagome went silent, but the tears rolling down her cheeks screamed at Hiei. He tore his gaze away from hers, but he could still feel her hurt eyes boring into him.
“So, I held up my end, now where's the antidote?” Hiei demanded through clenched teeth.
“Right here.” The demon said, dangling a vile in front of Hiei's cage, but snatching it away as he reached out for it.
“You see, Hiei, here's the thing about trusting someone from the deepest level of hell...everyone here is a traitor, it's what we do. I never had any use for the girl; my sights were always set on you!”
The relief that washed over Hiei nearly eclipsed his anger.
“What do you want with me?” Hiei growled.
“Well not so much you, as your Jagan, and your dragon.”
“Hn. You're out of luck, because neither is mine to give.”
“Oh I don't necessarily need you to surrender them. After all, why bother learning how to control them when you could control the master?”
“If you think I'm going to work for you, you're an even bigger fool than you appear to be.” Hiei retorted.
“No, I don't suppose you would. You will, however, accept, whether by force or by choice, this hypnosis potion that will make you my living puppet. Do it by choice and I send the antidote to your sister. Make me force you, and I'll let her die.”
Hiei glared at the demon in response.
“Seifu, Hanata, why don't you take them to the dungeon and let Hiei think it over. You have 30 minutes before it will be impossible for me to save Yukina.
As Hanata, the human soul, grabbed Kagome, she shifted to touch him with her bound hands, and instantly screamed in pain.
“Don't bother priestess,” Hanata said mockingly, “That cord wards holy energy. Your powers are useless as long as it's touching you.” Kagome glared at him, but allowed herself to be led away.
Hiei was promptly bound by a warding collar as well, and escorted by Seifu to the dungeon and placed in the cell next to Kagome's. After locking Hiei up, Seifu let himself into Kagome's cell, where she sat in a corner on the verge of shock.
“Just imagine, a real, live, priestess.” Seifu said, squatting in front of Kagome.
“Get away from her.” Hiei warned.
“So helpless,” Seifu continued, reaching out to stroke her hair as a few tears escaped her red, puffy eyes and rolled down her reddened cheeks.
“I'm warning you.” Hiei said his tone deadly.
Seifu laughed. “Too bad for her, that you don't scare me.” Seifu sighed deeply as he trailed a finger down Kagome's cheek, “Such forbidden fruit.”
Kagome trembled ever so slightly, but quickly regained her composure, setting her jaw and hardening her expression.
“Tell me, little miko,” Seifu asked as he traced her lips with his thumb, “Did you ever imagine that your holiness would be defiled by a soul from hell?”
Hiei grabbed the bars, bracing himself as he attempted to call forth his warded ki. The pain that ripped through him was nearly equal to that of the jagan implant. His jaw ached as he clenched it tightly, determined not to vocalize his pain. His knuckles turned bone-white as they gripped the bars.
Finally the jagan responded, and Hiei used the pain to his advantage, duplicating it in Seifu's consciousness.
The demon spirit let out a wail of agony and pulled away from Kagome as if she were a snake that had bitten him.
Hiei wasn't able to maintain his hold on his ki very long, and when his hold broke, Seifu turned angry eyes on Hiei.
“You little…”
“Touch her again and you'll wish you could die a second time.”
Seifu smirked. “You're lucky the boss wants you alive. I highly doubt you have the ability to pull that stunt a second time, but I'd hate for you to kill yourself trying.” Seifu kept his eyes locked on Hiei as he exited the dungeon.
Once Hiei heard the dungeon door shut, he sunk to the floor in an exhausted heap.
Kagome fought to keep her concern from showing. After all, she was still mad at Hiei, and had no intention of letting him off so easily.
“Are…you ok?” Hiei asked weakly.
“Yes, I'm fine, thank you.” Kagome said, in a very businesslike manner.
Hiei had been dreading the tears he was sure would fall, but he couldn't help thinking the cold shoulder she was giving him was worse. He did admire her strength, though. He couldn't imagine the range of emotions even he would be feeling in her position. She was proving to be remarkably resilient, for a human.
“Kagome…”
“Is this the part where you tell me you knew all along he was after you, and that you have some big plan?” Kagome asked, accusingly.
Another sharp pang of guilt stabbed at Hiei. “No…”
Kagome sorted out a laugh. “Honest yet a traitor, quite the paradox, aren't you.”
“I warned you that Yukina was my first concern.”
“No apologies are necessary.” Kagome said, her tone softening, “It was my fault. I should know by now not to put my faith in demons.”
The heart-wrenching sadness returned to Kagome's eyes, and Hiei knew she was thinking about the hanyou.
“Please, Kagome, your face is much too pretty to wear such sadness.” Kagome turned to Hiei in shock.
A blush crept to Hiei's cheeks at the words he heard leave his mouth. I've clearly been around the fox and the oaf too long.
“What I mean is…” Hiei sighed, “I never intended to leave you. I was using you as bait.” He explained awkwardly.
“How do I know that you're telling the truth?”
“Because I'm going to get you out of here.” Hiei vowed.
“I can't just leave you.”
“I'll be alright.”
“No! I won't lose another man I love to this place!” Kagome flushed crimson at her hasty confession, realizing as she spoke them that the words were true.
Hiei let her words register, and the shock subside before speaking. “I will come back to you, Kagome.”
“How can you be sure?” Kagome asked, fresh tears welling up in her eyes.
Hiei removed Yukina's tear gem from his neck, and reached through the bars to slide it over her head. “I promise.” He said, staring intently at her, and in his eyes Kagome saw a deeper sincerity than she had ever felt from anyone.
 
Just then the demon came into Hiei's cell. “Well, have you decided?”
“Yes. I will take the potion, and will even help you fight the spirit detectives that are on their way here, but in exchange you must let Kagome go, and let her take the cure to my sister. You said yourself she was of no use to you.”
“Very well.” The demon agreed, “I'll even let her use the tunnel we've constructed to the ningenkai so that she can get to her in time.”
“Hn.” Hiei nodded.
“Open your mouth.” The demon said, raising a vile of dark liquid.
“No, I've kept my word to you, and you've already betrayed me once. Let her go first.”
The demon laughed heartily, “You learn fast, boy!”
 
*******
Hiei watched as Kagome disappeared down the tunnel, escorted by Hanata.
“Now for your end of our deal.” The demon lord said, handing the vile to Hiei.
Hiei nodded.
I almost betrayed the woman I love. Now I betray myself. Once I take this, chances are I'll betray my team-mates. Guess it's no mystery where my soul will end up.
 
 
Japanese Words:
Miko-Priestess