Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Frozen Fire ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Note: This is only my second fanfic so do be nice. Read and enjoy. ^_^
 
Prologue
 
A young girl, of what looked to be 10 years of age stood just outside of a shadowy forest, on an edge that over looked a valley. Most who passed by didn't even realize that someone was watching them, for her pitch back clothing and raven colored locks made it nearly impossible to tell the girl's being from the shadows. She preferred it like that; after all she did try living up to her name - Dekage - sake, which meet `in the shadows' or `one with the shadows'.
 
Her lavender colored eyes - which told of wisdom and experience beyond her years - scanned the surrounding area but mainly the shadows. She was waiting for the one like herself, one of forbidden ice and fire blood and her only true friend to return. He had gone out to get something - what? He would not tell - but promising to return before nightfall.
 
Dekage sighed; the breeze playing with her loosely braided mid-back length hair. Where are you? It is almost nightfall and still you have not returned.
 
Lavender eyes looked up at the fire painted sky as the sun slow made its descent over the western horizon, making way for the stars and the full moon. Sighing once more, Dekage quickly scanned the valley below her before turning away from the ledge and started making her way towards a clump of trees they had made their home. It was getting dark and did it wouldn't be safe her until he got back or until the sun came back up over the eastern horizon once more - she prayed silently that the first would happen before the latter - Dekage hated being vulnerable, especial when she was alone.
 
Her ancient ice demon blood caused problems with her vision. The ice demon blood that flowed through her veins gives her the gift of flight, allowing one to be more sensible to the air currents and other beings auras, spirit energy, and demon energy - whether plant, animal, human or demon - so it is more like seeing without seeing. For one with that type of sensibility they could easily pass off as being able to use their eyes now. So in many ways her ancient blood is blessing, but blessing always come with their curses. This blessing curse is the lost of sight - for all rights, Dekage shouldn't even be seeing through her eyes. But that is only thanks to her fire demon heritage.
 
Her fire demon blood is nothing truly special. Yes, it does give her unmatchable speeds that only some can match, also helping to prevent her vision lost by counteracting the ice demon blood. The down side to it though, is the hot-headedness and very high curiosity - not nearly as curios as a fox demon, but high enough to get ones self into trouble. If both the hot-headedness and curiosity are focused on the same thing, then usually the ending is nothing good, especially if one doesn't know how to control ones self.
 
Dekage shook her head in an attempt to rid herself of the thoughts of her combined heritage. Once she had locked those thoughts to the deepest, darkest part of her mind, did she allow herself to sit down in one of he trees that her and her friend had made their home. From where she sat, she could just barely make out the gutted area that - from the outside - looked to be thick with bushes and untamed tree branches, in the dim light of the setting sun.
 
A soft giggle escaped Dekage's lips as she recalled the trouble they had gone through in gutting the thick clump of trees out without being spotted. She had done most of the harder work - or so she thought - in convincing her friend to stay with her and help with their home. He had done most of the physical work; cutting the branches, burning the evidence, being as quiet as possible and finally just reaching the spot, at the time had been extremely difficult, while Dekage kept her senses open to any unwelcome demons or humans passing by and tried to make sure that all the branches that fell landed as quietly as possible - which really wasn't quietly at all.
 
Dekage silenced her giggles as a she suddenly felt several demonic auras in the area; two from the east, three from the north, two from the west and finally a very familiar one from the south - in the direction of the ledge she'd been standing on only minutes before waiting for her friend to return - and it was moving very fast.
 
Only moments after feeling her friend's aura did she realize he had been moving quite fast, for now he stood in front of her being, crimson ruby red eyes and the sound of heavy breathing was the only thing that gave his close presence away. His dark clothed -11-year-old - frame easily hided him in the shadows.
 
A smile graced Dekage's face as she quickly jumped up from her spot and wrapped her arms around his neck, burying her face in to the crook of his neck, in a friendly embrace - which the other returned happily. After a few minutes, Dekage finally released the other being, but not before running her fingers through his gravity defiant hair, knowing all to well that it annoyed him to no ends.
 
“So what took you so all Hiei? I've been lonely,” Dekage, asked once again hugging him, nuzzling her face into his chest, which he didn't seem to mind.
 
“I ran into some trouble, but it's nothing to worry about,” Hiei assured the lavender-eyed demon as she looked at him with uneasiness. “Anyway, I'd protect your weak ass no matter what.” A cocky grin graced his lips as he stared at his best friend, who had hit him on the chest and was now glaring at him.
 
“I'm not weak!” Dekage growled, not like the last comment. Her growl only intensified, when he graced her with a cocky grin and a small, almost in auditable chuckle.
 
“Of course you're not,” Hiei nonchalantly replied, keeping a bored expression on his face - minus his smug smirk.
 
“Don't toy with me Hiei!” the lavender-eyed hybrid snapped, finally figuring out what Hiei was doing. “Now, where did you go?” Dekage questioned after taking a little time to try and calm her frustration.
 
Hiei's smirk turned into an almost tender smile, as he wrapped his small arms around the younger female demon in front of him, nuzzling her cheek in an attempt to help sooth her. “Calm down, I was only playing, geez.” Dekage did not return his embrace but she also did not push him away, instead she waited for him to answer her question.
 
Hiei chuckled at his friend before releasing. He grabbed a katana from his waist and that's when she noticed it wasn't his own. “I had this made for you,” the crimson-eyed figure explained handing her the second katana. “I know you wanted one, considering you're always wanting to hold onto mine.” He ushered his features into a bored and annoyed expressions, but his eyes betrayed him, showing that he was anxious to see if Dekage would accept his gift. His worries seem to evaporate when an excited spark flittered through her eyes as a smile graced her lips - all signs of the previous anger gone.
 
“Thank you so much! I love it!” Dekage squealed, looking over her new weapon in her hand. Unsheathing the blade, she looked at the shiny sharp steal. “This is awesome, I love it!” Her lavender eyes looking over the smooth black sheath - looking for any damage that she knew wasn't there.
 
Hiei smirked at his friend's excitement. “Look closer at the blade,” he instructed, grabbing the katana from her and brought the blade to eye level. With his other hand, Hiei took one of Dekage's, running her fingers over the base of the blade where he knew some small grooves where.
 
“What are they?” Dekage questioned, allowing Hiei to guide her hand to the other side of the blade.
 
“Try to concentrate, quit relaying on your sight,” Hiei scolded, now running her hand down the hilt, where seemingly invisible grooves were at. Hiei knew that Dekage was slowly loosing her vision, for she had told him, plus she was also giving signs of ill vision. There would be times when she would stare at him - her lavender orbs unforced and dull.
 
“Each side of the blade hold one of our name's, but I can't tell what the hilt says,” Dekage answered after a few moments of silence. “Is there anything on the sheath?”
 
“Yes, actually there is,” the male demon replied. This time Hiei guided her fingers over the sheath, figures protruding from it. “It says Forever, as does the hilt.”
 
“Forever…” Dekage tested the name, running her fingers tenderly over the sheath. “I like it,” she finally stated, allowing Hiei to re-sheath her katana. Hiei gestured to the young female demon to take her chosen weapon from his hand, when she made no move to take it he looked at her in questioned. That's when he noticed, in the dim moon light that Dekage was constantly blinking, her eyes unfocused and lavender eyes becoming a light shade of violet.
 
“What's wrong?” Hiei questioned worriedly, raising his empty hand to brush against her cheek. He nearly growled when she flinched away from his touch, but held back remembering that she couldn't see his movement and knowing that she wasn't exactly skilled in feeling out the air current.
 
“I can't see,” Dekage replied, bringing her hands up to rub her eyes. She stepped back a step when she felt Hiei move closer to her, the air current confusing her and making her unsure of everything or where everything was.
 
“I'm just going to put `Forever' around your waist,” Hiei explained.
 
“Ok.”
 
Hiei took another step towards his friend, happy that she didn't move away from him. He then carefully slipped the deadly weapon into her belt. Once he was finished, instead of stepping back again, he remained where was, hoping Dekage would relax. “You're so tense, why?” he asked curiously, after a moment's silence, not fully understanding.
 
“It's not you,” Dekage assured. “It's just weird that I'm feeling everything instead of seeing it.” She explained, bring her hand up to feel his face. “I can feel everything, even without my hands. I can't see colors, but I can make out everything around me and it's… weird is all,” she tried explaining, continuing to move her hands around his face.
 
“Oh-” Hiei started but was cut off. The tree branch they were on shutter as something slammed into the tree below them. The shutter wasn't that bad, but for the still disorientated Dekage; it was enough for cause her to lose her balance. She grabbed to nearest thing to her, which was Hiei, who was trying to keep his balance. The extra weight that was added - which Hiei wasn't prepared for - caused them both to fall from the branch.
 
A soft grunt was the only sound that escaped Hiei's lips as Dekage landed on top him, kneeing him in the gut. That small noise however was enough to catch the attention of the group that had assaulted Hiei and Dekage tree home. Several demons turn towards the children sprawled on the forest floor; devilish smirks appeared on their mugs as they watched the small, scarlet-eyed boy struggled to his feet and raising his katana defensively, moving so the smaller girl was behind him.
 
“Boy, do you really think you'll be able to beat us?” The one that had spoke looked as if the could pass off as a human if you didn't count the green tint to his skin and the horns the stuck randomly out of his head. By the way the other demons stood around him, Hiei guessed he was the leader.
 
Hiei growled in response and stepped closer to Dekage, which caused the lead demon's smirk to broaden.
 
“Well, protective aren't we?” the lead demon taunted, green eyes sparkling in amusement. “It'll be fun to see how you react when we play with her.” The other demons laughed, while some took the chance of moving forward. The green-eyed demon raised his hand into the air, singling for the other to stop, which they did, some giving him questionable looks.
 
“Catch the boy, leave the girl, I'll deal with her,” the demon order. “I want him alive, understand?”
 
“Yes, sir!” they sounded in unison, even though some gave disapproving looks, but moved to do what was told of them, not wanting to face their leader's wrath.
 
Hiei eyed the ugly demons as they advanced, growling his warning. The movement behind him told him that Dekage was moving back, giving him more room to maneuver.
 
Even without her sight, Dekage knew what was going and what was about to happen. She was not stupid enough to hearing the threat and painful promise that was laced in the intruding demons voice. She, as well as Hiei even at their youthful ages, did know the meaning of pain, threat and hatred - after all they pay for their parents' one night stand every time they come across other demons. That's what being forbidden is all about, after all.
 
Dekage allowed her own growl to join Hiei's, which surprised him -she knew - but he didn't show it. Dekage heard the demons steps falter and she wanted to smirk, but she didn't, instead she concentrated on making her growl louder, more intimidating.
 
Author's Note: Well did you like? Confused? Dislike? Please tell *puppy eyes* but I do warn, I want deal with Flamer's nicely. I don't care if you'd done like but do tell me in a nice un-mean way. Before I forget this is not the end of the Prologue, it's only about half way done and please do feel free to suggest a title to this fanfic, I suck at title's, names and anything that has to do with naming thinks. Thanks a bunch!
 
Lava ^_^