Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Frozen Fire ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Author's Note: Another day another charter. This chapter is a little longer than the last one... I felt a little guilt about the last chapter being so short so I'm making up for that one. Enough of my blahings and on with the story... Oh... before I forget... thank to all who has review so far and has been loyal readers (passes out cookies and shoots off fireworks) and now we're partying.... weeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!
 
Chapter 5
 
Hiei woke to find himself unusually warm - which didn't bug him, being the half fire demon that he was, but he was curious as to why it was so hot. He opened his crimson eyes only to be greeted by bright yellow flames. Quickly, he looked down - and to his relief - saw that Dekage was still in his arms. She had sweat coming down her face and her breathing sounded labored.
 
That wasn't good. Hiei knew the Dekage's dominate element was ice, so the fire that surrounded them - even though it may not kill her - would still cause her great problems if exposed to it for long periods of time. Now, he was sorry for having used most of his energy the night before for his prank. If he would have known these demons would have involved Dekage in his punishment, he would have stayed asleep.
 
Growling, Hiei concentrated on his remaining energy - that was nearly gone - as he tried to gain control of the raging yellow colored flame. It was ironic how just last night, he'd turned those flames into his own and had wreaked a little havoc on the ones who had captured them. Looking at the flames around them, Hiei noticed that even with the little influence he gave, they did not grow smaller nor did the color change to his signature color of blackish-purple and they should have.
 
By now, he was standing - Dekage curled up in his arms - with his back against the tree he'd been sleeping on. Somehow, the tree had yet to catch fire and that made Hiei wonder. Was someone else controlling the flames? But that how could that be? There were no fire demons in the group, minus Hiei and Dekage.
 
The flames - which moments ago seemed to be standing still - now move forward. The pace a slow and unrushed one, even if the flames seemed enraged for one reason or another. That when Hiei noticed that he was panting slightly to - nearly as hard as Dekage was but hard enough to make a difference. Realization struck him; the fire was taking their much-needed oxygen.
 
Hiei snarled at the flames as if it would drive them away - all the while knowing it wouldn't but it did help the stress. He shook the sleeping girl's form that was in his arms. When all he got all a grunt and a turn to snuggle into him once more, he growled at her. Again he got no response and growled to himself and at her before lowering his face to her being.
 
He really didn't want to have to do this - considering they were on talking terms once more and he really didn't want her mad at him again - but she had left him no other choice in the matter. So he moved his face closer to her arm. Once he was close enough that his nose was touching her arm, he hesitated. Taking one look at the ever-closer yellow flames, he decide that he could live with her being mad at him for a few day.
 
With that decide he dug his fangs into her arm, causing her to yelp and push away from him. Hiei let her go - allowing her to fall to the ground on her back, which he could tell had shocked her. Now that she was on the ground, he could see the flames move faster towards her.
 
“Get over here now!” Hiei barked, not waiting for her to catch her bearings. “Roll towards me!” Almost as soon as the command had left his mouth lavender-eyed girl was doing what was told of her. The breath that Hiei didn't know he had been holding rushed out of him, only for him to find that it was getting harder to breath.
 
Dekage was very much awake now and to say the else pissed out at Hiei. He had bit her - not that she hadn't done it to him, but still… he bit her! Now she was lying on her back, holding her upper right arm, and for some reason it was really hot. She didn't remember it being this hot before, especially sense it was that time of year when the days grew short and the nights colder. It rarely got hot enough to remove her cloak, except when the days where longer and hotter. Then she, nor Hiei, wore their cloaks, but even then it was never this hot.
 
Dekage forced herself to relax enough to figure out that Hiei was standing near a tree, and from what she could tell, he seemed worried and/or concerned about something. That is when she sensed something that seemed out of place, as if they didn't belong to any of the three worlds.
 
She didn't even realize that she had rolled over towards Hiei - in actuality she hadn't even heard his instructions over the roar of the flames. They may not seem that loud to Hiei, but to her it was much more.
 
Gripping Hiei's arm, she did not realize that she was sinking her claws into his flesh. Dekage heard the warning growl was admitted from Hiei, she immediately loosened her grip, not bother with a sorry.
 
“Hiei, we need to get off of here,” Dekage panted, once more tightening her hold on Hiei's arm. To say she was nervous would have been an understatement - she was down right scared. She'd felt this kind of energy before she'd met Hiei and it had been nothing good. Now, if only she could remember what the creatures standing before them were called and why they bestow such fear to her, then maybe it would make her feel better. For right now, though, she wanted to, no needed to get way from them.
 
“No duh,” the spiky haired demon commented between breaths. He could sense the fear coming off his company in waves. Yes, he liked the feel of fear coming off others, but not Dekage, she the exception to just about everything in when it came right down to it. For the life of him, he couldn't figure out why and it angered him to no ends, but at the same time - as long as it was she and no one else - it didn't matter. “Do you know what this thing is?”
 
“Yes and no. I've encountered something like it but I do remember much about it. Sorry,” Dekage answered to the fullest, ashamed that she couldn't remember such a little run in. But something told her that these were one of the reasons why she alone and why she'd met Hiei.
 
“Don't be. You probably can't remember for a reason,” Hiei offered. He knew that the smaller she-demon had had a mother that had loved her and had mostly died saving her. When he had found Dekage and she'd explained everything to him and he'd envied her - after all, his mother's clan had tossed him away like he was noting.
 
When it came to the details of where or why her mother had left her all Dekage would say was, “Something went really wrong”. It was also than that they realized that she had subconsciously locked her memories of that time away. From then on, they'd been with each other - that was about four years ago on.
 
“The trees,” Hiei suddenly panted. “We can go through the trees, are you up for it?” Scarlet meant lilac for an instant and it was decided. Hurriedly, Hiei removed Dekage grip from his arm and held her hand. She was going to have to trust him if he was going to get them both out of there - with her not being able to see and her senses disoriented by the energy that the flames were giving off, trust was hard to give.
 
To Hiei's amazement, he watched Dekage give him her trust as if it was nothing - but he knew it was a lot more than nothing. It was indirectly saying “Hiei I'm trusting you with my life, don't fail me” and at this moment it that was exactly what it was saying.
 
`Would I be so trusting if the roles where reverse?' The question must have shown in his aura because Dekage started to speak.
 
“I trusting you because I know you can do this,” the blind she-demon reassured, cupping his face with her free hand.
 
Hiei nodded, looking into unseeing lilac colored eyes. `Yes, I would.' The came to him as he found himself lost with her violet orbs. Before he realized what he was doing Hiei dropped his face to Dekage - his lips meeting hers. He smirked one of his infamous cocky grins as he felt Dekage lean into his kiss - this was his first kiss so he wasn't quite sure what to do. He was pretty sure that her being comfortable was a good thing though.
 
Even while he was enjoying himself, Hiei kept a watchful eye on the once again slowly moving flame. He would not be caught off guard, just because he was enjoying himself.
 
Dekage was at a lost for words, she hadn't expected Hiei to kiss her. If he would have done it about year ago though, she knew that she would have pushed him away, but for some reason she couldn't bring herself to do so. She felt safe when he was near and his soft lips against hers made her feel like she had butterflies in her stomach.
 
So she did the only thing that she could, she relaxed, closed her eyes and trusted him - just like before. The she-demon didn't know what to when she felt Hiei's fang nip her bottom lip. Soon after she felt Hiei's tongue slip out of his mouth and was licking the spot at where his fang had dug in a little too deep and had cause it to sting - smoothing it away.
 
Hiei pulled away, not liking to, but finding it necessary for the yellow flames seemed to have picked up their pace once more. It made him that he'd just closed his eyes for a second and opened them again to find the things nearly burning his back - he didn't know when but sometime during his and Dekage make out session she had ended up with her back against a tree.
 
Hiei smirked at the dazed look on Dekage's face as he easily pulled her up into the tree they had been standing under. Pride - for some unknown reason to him - rose as a blush spread over her cheeks. He placed one time phantom kiss on her lips.
 
“It's time for us to get out of here,” Hiei answered her unspoken question. He let his breath tease her skin before turning back to the problem at hand. The weird yellow flames where now climbing the tree they had moved into - it had separated into several different balls of fire and were jumping from branch to branch. Hiei was glad he chose to stop on the higher branches. “Trust me?”
 
Dekage was a little surprise by what Hiei asked, considering she had all ready given it to him. “I've already told you that I do trust you, Hiei,” she answered, uneasiness replacing the feeling that she had had moments ago.
 
“Do you trust me with… with everything?” Hiei didn't know what he wanted to hear but there was something. All he knew was that if he heard it he know what it would be… the thing was he didn't know what to ask or how to ask it.
 
The fireballs were to close for comfort so Hiei told off again - Dekage right behind him. Unfortunately, the fireballs followed at speed that matched Hiei's to both their surprise. As the fireballs closed in, Hiei and Dekage felt the much-needed air being taking away as things started to herd them back towards the clearing. Where they first encountered the bizarre flames.
 
Author's Note: Like? Hate? Confused? Do tell. Please leave your reviews on your way out. Also forgive all the crazy moments above... I don't believe I was in involved... ^_^