Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Indebted ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Author's Notes: I just wanted to comment on the title of this fic. I know it doesn't sound like it really fits at the moment, but the only reason Hiei's not fighting more is because of the time Kurama saved him in the series (when he was pinned by the giant robot during the dark martial arts tournament). He's only accepting this because he 'owes' Kurama (at least, that's what he's telling himself, we all know he likes all of the 'Urameshi team.') ^__^ And who wouldn't like a little baby Kurama-fox?
Category: Anime, Yu Yu Hakusho, Yaoi, TWT
Warnings: humor, will have slight shonen ai
Pairings: Kurama+Hiei, will be Hiei+Kurama
Author: Arigatomina
Email: arigatoumina@hotmail.com
Complete Archive/Website: http://www.geocities.com/arigatomina

Indebted

Part 2

Since his mother's marriage, Kurama had a house of his own, complete with a privacy fence surrounding the garden in the back. Luckily, the backdoor was unlocked so the three males slipped in that way. Botan hadn't gone with them, but she'd promised to stop by that evening, just in case they needed anything. As soon as he stepped through the open glass door, Hiei sniffed at the vase of red roses on the kitchen table. In his vision earlier, they'd seemed fresh, but petals dotted the tabletop. It made sense if Kurama had been outside for the last two days.

Yusuke shut the door behind them and joined Hiei next to the table, noticing where the youkai's eyes were directed. "I guess he couldn't get back in, ne?"

"How did he make that pile of vines?" Kuwabara asked, his sparking eyes locked on the little gray fox peeking out of Hiei's hair. Once again it focused on his voice and he grinned. Stepping closer, he leaned down to meet those golden eyes. "Do you remember me, Kurama?" Hiei was glaring at him, but Kuwabara laughed when the kitsune sniffed before burying its nose in thick black hair. "Well, how smart is he? If he's a newborn, you might want to get him out of your hair before he has an accident." Red eyes blinked in confusion and Yusuke snickered merrily.

"What's funny?" Hiei growled, frowning as his eyes flicked from Kuwabara to Yusuke.

"Oh," Yusuke smirked, "we're just wondering if he's bathroom-trained. Wouldn't want him going on your head, right?"

Gnashing his teeth, Hiei's eyes turned upward, his glare wasted since the kitsune couldn't see it. "Do it and die." There was no response and he frowned, glancing around the room. Koenma had said once Kurama was in a familiar place he'd get down. Surely this was familiar enough. With a deep breath, he reached toward his hair, fingers curled in case the fox tried to bite him. Kuwabara took a quick step back and his eyebrow twitched. The kitsune's fur was silkier than his own hair and he relaxed a bit when his hands closed over the bundle of fur. Not only did it not bite him, but it actually seemed to move, pressing close to his hands. It wasn't until he tried to lift it that he met with resistance.

Yusuke had been expecting trouble the moment Hiei reached for his head, and he eased farther away, eyes glued to the little fox's face. That small mouth was closed tight around a wad of Hiei's hair. The short youkai hesitated for a second, and Yusuke winced when Hiei abruptly jerked the kitsune free.

Small feet kicked at his hands, but Hiei held it tight between his palms, moving his arms down so he could see the struggling thing. Tiny golden eyes looked up at him and it stilled so suddenly that he wondered if he'd crushed the fox. But he could feel the quick fluttering beneath that silky silver fur. With a silent, but very relieved sigh, he dropped it onto the table.

"Be careful," Yusuke admonished, frowning when the little kitsune wobbled on tiny feet. The drop hadn't been more than a foot, but it was just a baby. He was tempted to give Hiei a lecture, but didn't get the chance. Baby or not, that little fox regained its feet and was attached to Hiei's shirt in less than four seconds. Yusuke let out a surprised laugh that Kuwabara instantly echoed. Hiei was the only one who didn't think it was funny.

Gold eyes aimed at him and Hiei grabbed the fox before it could climb all the way to his neck. He didn't doubt it was aiming either for his head, or an entrance into his shirt. Holding the kitsune immobile, he peeled it free and moved that little face so he could glare at it. "Kurama..." Tiny ears flattened against the fox's head and he moved it a few inches closer, his voice a low growl. "Climb in my shirt again and I'll leave."

"He's just a baby," Kuwabara frowned, pushing Hiei's shoulder. "You'll scare him." Red eyes snapped to him and he blinked when Hiei released the fox. It immediately latched onto his hand with small but sharp teeth. "Itai! Itai! Let go!"

"Baka." With a snort, Hiei folded his arms and turned to smirk at the flailing Kuwabara. The little fox's jaws really did grip hard. Despite the large ningen's flapping arm, it held on, little body clutching Kuwabara's wrist. "You don't listen well."

"Eh?" It didn't hurt *that* bad, and Kuwabara calmed down a bit, looking warily at the little animal clamped on his hand. That silver mouth was spotted with red and he abruptly flailed the arm again. "I'm bleeding!"

The tall ningen looked ready to knock his hand against something, and Hiei sighed when Yusuke moved to help. He was fairly sure Yusuke would pull the fox off and get another scratch along his face for the effort. Stepping to Kuwabara, he glared at the teen's wide eyes. "Be still, baka."

"This is *your* fault," Kuwabara cried, stilling as well as he could with a rabid fox attached to his hand. "Why'd you sic him on me?!" The short youkai had the nerve to smirk and he glared, sticking his burdened hand out. "Take him back!"

"Kurama." Hiei's gaze followed the little bundle of silver when it leapt off Kuwabara, and he caught it halfway to his hair. The fox struggled a bit as it was cut off from its target landing. Moving it to about the height of his chest, Hiei frowned, ready to continue his interrupted lecture. "None of that, either." Those little ears flashed back again and he nodded sharply. "Stay out of my hair and my shirt." Yusuke and Kuwabara were watching him with surprised respect and he lifted his chin a bit, giving them a condescending look. "Youkai are not stupid, even as babies."

"Then he understands you?" Yusuke asked, not looking when Kuwabara moved to wrap up his hand. He didn't really think his friend was injured that badly. Besides, he really was surprised at how tame the little fox looked. It turned to look at him and he smiled leaning close to Hiei's hands. "Oi, Kurama, how's it going?" The fox stared at him for a second before its ears eased forward. "Why'd you pick Hiei for? I'm better with animals. I did have a dog once."

"He's not a dog," Hiei growled, jerking the fox away from Yusuke's smiling face. He could just imagine what the ningen would do if *he'd* been left to care for the baby youkai. Yusuke would be waiting on it hand and foot as if it were helpless. "He's a youkai, fox or not."

Raising an eyebrow, Yusuke looked over his friend's angry expression. "Defensive, aren't you?" A smirk broke over his lips and he glanced back at Kuwabara. The orange-haired teen was washing is hand in the sink. "Oi, Kuwabara, Hiei doesn't want us to help him. Why don't we leave him alone?"

"Kisama-"

"Fine," Kuwabara said, frowning over his shoulder. He didn't know if youkai carried rabies or not, but he definitely didn't want to get a shot in the butt if they did. "I can't believe Kurama bit me. Me! Why would he bite *me* when Hiei's the one who was being mean to him? I was sticking up for him!"

"Ah," Yusuke said, moving toward Kuwabara. "Hiei probably tossed him at you and you just didn't see it."

"Nani?! I did not!" The two ningens didn't so much as glance back at him and Hiei glared, not sure what to do. He didn't *need* help, at least, he didn't think he did. But he didn't want to be left to watch the kitsune, either. In fact, he didn't even want to be here. "Yusuke. If you want him..." His arms had dropped a little, and he frowned when the fox pressed close to his stomach. He'd just been thinking that Yusuke didn't know enough about youkai babies to take care of it. But still... His eyes glinted suddenly and he relaxed his stance, his voice careless. "So you'll just abandon your 'comrade'? After all the times he's helped us-helped you..." Brown eyes snapped around in surprise and he kept the smirk off his face.

The youkai was using the same words he'd used and Yusuke frowned in disappointment. He hadn't really planned to just abandon Kurama. He'd hoped to get Hiei worried enough to beg him to stay, but it obviously wasn't going to happen. Kuwabara was looking uncertain and warily glancing from his wounded palm to the fox in Hiei's hands. Yusuke shrugged, smirking at Hiei's waiting expression. "No, I'm not going to abandon him. After all, I wouldn't miss this for the world. You, taking care of a baby Kurama? That's a once in a lifetime thing, I just wanted to go get a camera."

Kuwabara's eyes widened as a slow grin replaced his previously pained look. "Pictures! My sister has a camera."

"Great," Yusuke smirked, catching the way Hiei turned to glare at them. "Why don't you call Shizuru and see if she wants to come over. I bet she'd be mad if she missed this."

"And Yukina-san," Kuwabara smiled, his face lighting up.

"Botan's coming back later," Yusuke nodded, "so I can get Keiko over here and we can have a party. I always thought Kurama had the best house for partying."

"Excuse me!" Hiei's eyebrow twitched when the two excited boys turned to look at him in surprise. "You plan to *celebrate* this?"

Grinning at the little fox that was looking up at him sedated, half-closed eyes, Yusuke nodded. "Yep." He was a little surprised that Hiei was still holding the kitsune, and even more surprised that the strong youkai hadn't squeezed it to death yet, but his eyes glinted merrily. "I always wondered what Kurama's fox form looked like, but I'd never have thought it was so cute. He's adorable."

Hiei snorted, glowering at the soft fox. Its tapered face was turned toward Yusuke and Hiei's eyes narrowed slowly, noting how relaxed the kitsune was. Obviously Kurama retained some remembrance of the dark-haired youth. He didn't really believe what Koenma had said about baby youkai bonding that quickly, and his eyes glinted as he crossed to Yusuke. "You want to hold him?"

There was something in Hiei's tone that made Yusuke wary, and he frowned at his friend. "He going to bite me if I do?" he asked, noting the way Hiei's lips twitched.

"Let's find out," Hiei smirked. It only took a little effort to peel the kitsune's claws away from his shirt, and he held the squirming thing out to Yusuke, his eyes practically shining with suppressed mirth. The brave Urameshi blanched, watching the fox's jerking head and the way those little clawed feet pawed at the air. "He's cute," Hiei murmured, his small fangs bared with his evil smile, "adorable, isn't that what you said? Don't you want to hold the cute thing?"

Just the way the demon said it made Yusuke's hands slide behind his back. He could just imagine Hiei offering him a bomb with those same words, and that tone of voice. Kuwabara had moved beside him, and he glanced up as the orange-haired youth shook his head in warning. Then something was pressed against his stomach and Yusuke jumped. A low snort made his healing cheeks burn for a second before he glanced down to where Hiei had pressed the little fox against him. The kitsune's neck was arched as it looked up at him, and Yusuke managed a tentative smile. "Oi, Kurama...hi there." Golden eyes blinked at him, making his smile turn real. "You are cute like that."

"Be careful," Kuwabara whispered, staring down at the seemingly innocent kit. "Any second now and he'll go for your face. Don't let that cute expression fool you."

"Baka." Hiei's gaze flicked away from the taller youth, his eyes narrowing as Yusuke brushed tentative fingers over the silver fox's sides. The moment those hands were in place, Hiei pulled away. He waited, watching the kitsune. And nothing happened. The little fox merely looked up at Yusuke, its ears tilted forward. "Ch'."

"He's so soft," Yusuke smirked, his left hand cupping the little kit as he petted its head. Kuwabara eased a bit closer, and he grinned up at the youth. "Hard to believe that's Kurama, ne?"

"Yeah," Kuwabara sniffed, frowning at how well behaved the fox was in Yusuke's hands. "First he jumps Hiei, then he bites me, and now he's letting *you* pet him. I'll never let him live this down. Never."

Yusuke let out a light laugh, smiling as he rubbed a finger behind the little fox's ear. That tapered head tilted to the other side, leaving the spot easily accessible. "Guess he's comfortable now, just like Koenma said." His gaze flicked to Kuwabara for a second, and he smirked at the way the boy was looking at the fox. He was very familiar with Kuwabara's affection for little furry animals, and he imagined it bothered him to have gotten off to such a rocky start with the kitsune. Catching the male's eye, Yusuke nodded down at the fox. "Why don't you try petting him."

"And get bit again?!" Kuwabara said, his eyes wide. "No way."

"He only bit you because you pushed Hiei," Yusuke reminded him, "besides, he's all sweet now." The orange-haired teen blinked down at the kit with wariness, but he could see the way Kuwabara's hands twitched to touch the little fox's silky fur. "Just move slow. If he tries to flinch or anything, pull back. I won't let him go like Hiei did."

"Eh..." Kuwabara leaned down a little, but he hesitated a few inches from the little fox. "Oi, Kurama." Gold eyes turned on him, and he frowned, watching those pointed ears. They moved back against the kit's head and he sighed. "He doesn't like me. Why doesn't he like me?" Yusuke shook his head at him, but Kuwabara's eyes fell again. The kitsune was still staring at him, but those tilted ears had moved, just a bit, at the sound of his voice. "You remember me," he said smiling a bit when those ears continued forward more. "You're as cute as my kitty." The fox's nose stretched toward him, and Kuwabara grinned when it sniffed his injured hand. He was about to pet the sweet thing when those ears suddenly flew back, and he jerked his hand away.

The previously peaceful animal tensed against him, and Yusuke blinked when its head whipped around, those small feet tugging at his shirt. "Kurama, what's wrong? You know Kuwabara!" Gold eyes turned on him, and Yusuke's eyes widened, feeling the rapid heartbeat beneath all that soft fur. "Oi..." The tapered head jerked to the side, looking away. Yusuke's expression fell into a dangerous glare. "Where do you think you're going, Hiei?"

Hiei flinched, his shoulders jerking upward for a second as he froze just inside the back door. He'd been so close! Gritting his teeth, he looked over his shoulder, sending a glare back to match Yusuke's. The Baka was glowering at him as well, and he sniffed. "Out."

"Yaro," Kuwabara glared, holding his injured hand. "Koenma told you he was attached. You can't just leave."

"Watch me," Hiei snorted.

The kitsune was pulling frantically in his hands, and Yusuke smirked suddenly. Hiei had turned toward the door again, so the short youkai didn't get to see him let the fox go. Kuwabara jumped aside as the little silver streak made a beeline for the escaping demon. For something with such tiny legs, it certainly could move fast. Yusuke nearly collapsed in laughter when it disappeared inside the bottom of Hiei's cloak. "You aren't going anywhere without *him*!" The black-haired demon stumbled, nearly going through the glass door.

"Kisama!" Hiei's first instinct was to zip over to Yusuke and thrash the interfering ningen. But tiny claws were making their way up his leg, definitely taking precedence. He was torn between frustration and anger, and he tossed his cloak aside once more, glaring heatedly down at the lump in his right pants leg. "Kurama," he growled, his teeth gnashing, "I don't care *who* you are, or how young you are, if don't get out of there right now, you die." The lump scurried higher, up to his knee, and Hiei's eyes widened. His body tensed, and he clamped a hand over his thigh, blocking any further progress. "Omae o korosu..."

Yusuke swallowed his laughter when he heard that low growl, and he hurried over to Hiei. The youkai had his back to him so he moved around, scowling when red eyes didn't look up at him. "You can't hurt him," he muttered. The youkai's teeth were visibly clenched, and Yusuke frowned darker when he didn't look up. It was then that he noticed where Hiei's glare was directed. He gaped for a second before choking, his hands clamped over his mouth.

From across the room, Kuwabara's eyes widened. "What is it?"

Dangerous red eyes met his gaze, and Yusuke cracked. "Is that a fox in your pants, or are you just happy to see me?"

Kuwabara had moved forward, but he stopped at that, his eyes huge. Then he lunged forward, catching Hiei's left wrist when the short demon went for his sword. "What's wrong with you two?!" Hiei growled at him, and he blinked, leaning back at the bared teeth.

"Let go of my wrist," Hiei spat. He could hear Yusuke's loud laughter, and he jerked his hand free, glaring daggers at the black-haired youth who lay on his back on the floor. The ningen was positively rocking with laughter, and Hiei kicked him with his free leg, sneering when the boy let out a pained yipe.

"Itai!" Yusuke muttered, scooting away from that black-booted foot. "It's not my fault Kurama's in your pants." Wide pale blue eyes snapped to him, and Yusuke grinned, pointing at the bulge just beneath Hiei's hand. The orange-haired teen took one look before busting into laughter.

That was it. Hiei switched hands rapidly, his right arm curving as he made a tight fist. Heat abruptly filled the room and he glared at the two surprised males, the bandages on his arm sizzling away into bits of ash. "Maybe I can't hurt him," he whispered, his eyes taking on a somewhat maniacal gleam, "but you will die." The Baka backed up, Yusuke joining him as the dark-haired boy stood slowly.

Greenish black light was glowing through the white band around Hiei's forehead, and Yusuke raised his hands. "Eh, calm down. Gomen, ne?" His eyes fell down and he felt a twinge of guilt when he saw the little lump shivering through the dark cloth. He could just imagine how it would feel to be touching Hiei's skin when he raised his youki like that. "Hiei, be careful, okay? You'll burn him." Slitted red eyes caught his gaze, and Yusuke winced when the youkai pointed a finger at him.

"Get out," Hiei warned, dropping his youki, just a bit. "Leave the room."

"No way!" Kuwabara cried, glaring at the angry demon. "You think we're going to let you hurt Kurama? I'm not going to leave you alone with him-I don't trust you for a minute." Especially when Hiei looked ready to fry something or some*one*.

Sharp claws were kneeding his skin, the little fox shaking and pushing against his hand, and Hiei took a deep breath. "I won't hurt him. Just leave for a minute."

"Why?" Kuwabara demanded, his eyes narrowed suspiciously.

Yusuke frowned for a minute, but his mouth opened as he looked down. "Oh! He's in your pants!" Hiei's head lowered, the youkai's shoulders shaking a little, and Yusuke bit back a snicker. "Right..." With a grin, Yusuke caught Kuwabara's shoulder and turned the teen. "Come on, Kuwabara, let's give Hiei a little privacy." The orange-haired boy frowned at him, and Yusuke rubbed a finger over his nose, not daring to glance back. "Hiei's modest." A growl sounded behind him, and Kuwabara's eyes widened a second before the tall youth darted out of the room. Yusuke followed him, pausing for a second in the doorway. "Let us know if you need help," he offered, snickering at the answering growl.

Though he couldn't remember the last time he'd wanted to kill those two so much, Hiei ignored his anger for the moment. Speed and dexterous fingers made short work of his belts, and he had a fistful of fur within seconds. A whole mess of bloody scratches covered his leg, but he wasn't really worried about them. Such small wounds would heal in an hour or less. The little fox was limp in his left hand as he redressed, and he frowned at it when he finished. He couldn't have hurt it that badly, at least he didn't think so. He'd raised his youki, but mostly that had been around his arm and jagan. The cloth on the rest of him hadn't ignited, so there was no reason to think the fox was injured. But it just hung from his hand, his fingers closed over the fold of fur along the kitsune's back.

A wave of discomfort hit him, and Hiei glared at the little thing, moving his arm so he could look into that tapered face. Its ears were flat against its head, those little feet curled and spotted with red. But it didn't open its eyes. With a long sigh, Hiei grabbed his cloak and scarf and carried the fox outside. It didn't take a moment to spread the black cloth, and he sat down on it, putting the limp thing in front of his crossed legs. "Kurama." The kitsune curled into a ball, hiding its face under that silver bushy tail. Hiei glared. A glance told him the two idiots hadn't come back into the kitchen, and he glowered for a moment before snatching up the fox. Pale gold eyes stared at him, the kitsune shivering a bit but not giving any struggles, and Hiei frowned at the red smeared along its little feet. The last thing he needed was for the baby youkai to get a taste for blood, especially his blood. Rolling his eyes when those tiny ears flew back, Hiei caught one of those damp paws.

Yusuke peaked into the kitchen, unable to wait patiently, and he gave a sigh of relief when he spotted Hiei's back just outside the door. He hadn't exactly wanted to watch Hiei undress, but it had been a surprise to find the youkai so modest. Then again, Hiei had been embarrassed enough at his rude, if hilarious statement. Smirking, Yusuke crossed the kitchen, Kuwabara following a few feet behind. The orange-haired fighter frowned, leaning out the door to see Hiei. He abruptly let out a shocked cry, and Yusuke grabbed him without thinking, nearly sending the two of them onto Hiei's back. "Kuwabara!"

"He's *eating* him!" Kuwabara screamed, fury at the torture of adorable animals making him livid enough to nearly brain Yusuke with his fists. "That monster! Hiei, you monster!"

His tall friend was struggling something awful, and Yusuke almost let him go when he spotted Hiei's face. The black-haired demon was giving them a dull glare, but just as Kuwabara had said, Hiei was holding one of the fox's legs, the little foot in his mouth. Yusuke choked. "Hiei! How *could* you?!"

Bright gold eyes sparkled at him, little ears tilted forward as the fox lounged in his hand, and Hiei sniffed. Rolling his eyes at the horrified shrieks, he let the clean paw go and started on the next one. Some things were better left unexplained.

* * *
TBC