Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Love and Hate ❯ Changes ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Love and Hate- Chapter 2: "Changes"

By Matoko Shizaki

Disclaimer: YYH is copyrighted by FUNimation.

Notes: This is awesome! It's probably the best fan fic I've ever written.

@~@~@~@~@~@~@

Yukina sat up, her body rested but aching. Outside the window, the sun was out and everything seemed cheery. The maiden realized she was dressed in baggy sweatpants and a long t-shirt. "Kuwabara's clothes. He must've lent me some." Yukina thought. The room was strange but in a glance Yukina could tell it was Kuwabara's. There was a desk and a bookcase, mostly loaded with mangas and one or two textbooks. There were sports posters and one of a swimsuit model. On the nightstand there was a white headband and a picture with Kuwabara, Yusuke, Hiei, Kurama, Koenma, Botan, Keiko, and Yukina in it. A pencil mustache was drawn on Hiei and a heart had been drawn around Yukina. Yukina blushed and looked up as the door slid open.

"So, you're up." Kuwabara said with a smile. He said down in a chair next to the bed. Kuwabara put his hand on Yukina's forehead and then removed it. "Your fever's broken. Let's see how that wound is." Yukina sat for a moment and then lifted up the part of her shirt that concealed the wound. Kuwabara changed the bandage silently. "Well, there's gonna be a scar there but not too bad." Yukina looked up shyly. "Thank you Kuwabara. I owe you my life." She bowed her head and Kuwabara backed up, blushing. "No, it's no problem! In fact, I was worried I'd never see you again." Yukina looked up. "I didn't want to lose another person after Urameshi." Kuwabara added shyly. Eikichi leapt into Kuwabara's lap and curled up there, purring. Kuwabara pet his adorable cat while Yukina looked on with a smile. Sliding out of bed, Yukina came up to Kuwabara's side and planted a kiss on his lips. Kuwabara turned bright red and smiled. "Oh, am I interrupting anything?" Kuwabara and Yukina looked up to see Shizuru standing in the doorway. "Nii-chan! What the hell are you doing here?" Kuwabara leapt up knocking Eikichi off his lap and sending the chair toppling over. "Was I not supposed to see that? Hey, Kazuma, you never told me you had a girlfriend." Yukina blushed. "You better take good care of this one!" Kuwabara ran after her into the hall and Yukina sat down on the bed. "My first kiss." she thought shyly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For lunch, Kuwabara took Yukina out. Yukina had to borrow some of Shizuru's old clothes but was happy to come nonetheless. The restaurant was crowded but the two managed to get to a table quickly. As soon as they sat down, Kuwabara asked, "Are you going to be going back to Glacier Country?" Yukina shook her head. "I guess not. But then, where will I go?" Kuwabara smiled. "You can stay in the guest bedroom at my house! We can pawn you off as an exchange student." "Are you sure? I don't want to be a burden." "Ya! We can get you enrolled in my school." Yukina beamed. "I've always wanted to see what it's like to be a human student." Kuwabara frowned. "Trust me, it's not all that it's cracked up to be. Listen, when you're in Sariaski Jr. High, there are only certain places you can go in town. Those places are the school's turf. If you're caught off our turf, you may cause trouble. Don't worry, this place is our turf. Me and Urameshi keep expanding the turf too." Yukina frowned, confused. "You'll understand later." Kuwabara said picking up his chopsticks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The four-day vacation went by fast for Yusuke and Kuwabara. Soon they were back in school, this time joined by Yukina. First class was about to start so, naturally, the hallways were crowded. "Good morning students, this is Mr. Takanaka. I have a few announcements to make." the loud speaker boomed. Most kids silence themselves while others hurried to make their classes. "Today we have a new student visiting us from Tokyo. Her name is Miss. Yukina Jaganashi and please make her welcome here in Sariaski Jr. High. And once again... the boy's bathroom has been vandalized. The criminals..." Yusuke ignored the announcements and headed to class. Kuwabara hadn't shown up yet. "Must be showing Yukina around since she's in our homeroom." Keiko sat down at her desk behind Yusuke. "Yusuke, how was your vacation? We're you still hanging out with that Botan girl?" Yusuke turned around. "Aw, c'mon Keiko! You know we're just friends! Remember, she's my assistant spirit detective!" Keiko nodded. "That's what I meant. Any new cases?" Yusuke nodded cautiously. "Glacier Country was attacked." Keiko gasped. "Is Yukina alright?" Yusuke smiled as the door opened to the classroom. "Ya, in fact, here she is."

Kuwabara and Yukina came in the room and took their seats near Yusuke and Keiko. "Yukina! What-- are you going to be a student here?" Yukina nodded with a polite smiled. "It's nice to see you again Keiko." Keiko smiled. "Same here. I was worried when I heard what happened to your home." Yukina opened her notebook. "No need to worry. I have Kuwabara to thank for my safety." Kuwabara blushed and the teacher came in.

Mr. Ikashi's buckteeth shone as he came in. "Now sit down class. I guess you have met our new student, Yukina." Everyone turned to look at Yukina and she smiled. "Well, now you have classes. Would anyone like to volunteer to show Yukina to her class?" The class fell silent and Yukina stood up. "If it doesn't make a difference to you sensei, I'd like Kuwabara to show be around. He's a friend of mine." Mr. Ikashi scowled. "Fine." The first class bells rang and the class filed out. Kuwabara followed at Yukina's side. "So, what class do you have first?" Yukina checked the schedule Mr. Takanaka had given her. "Math with Mr. Iwamoto." Kuwabara smiled. "Me too." And so the two headed off to their first class together, the other students starring at them as the made their way down the crowded hallway.

Math was what any middle school student would come to expect. Kuwabara tried his best to look smart in front of Yukina but because of his reputation with teachers, Mr. Iwamoto didn't give him the chance. Luckily, Yukina seemed to fit in just fine. When she tried to leave class when the period was over, Mr. Iwamoto called her over to his desk. "Yukina, I hear you're new in this school. From Tokyo I believe." Yukina nodded. "Yes sir." Mr. Iwamoto stacked the tests to be corrected in a pile on his desk. "Whom are you living with? You are an exchange student aren't you?" Yukina nodded again. "I'm boarding with Kuwabara sir." Iwamoto frowned and adjusted his glasses. "Just a word of advice Miss. Jaganashi: If you want to go far in this school, I suggest you stay away from him and that Yusuke Urameshi." Yukina buried her anger and bowed. "Thank you for the advice sir." Without another word, Yukina slipped out the door and into the hallway where Kuwabara was waiting for her. "What did Iwamoto want with you?" Yukina frowned. "He told me to avoid you and Yusuke but I'll just ignore his comment." From inside the room, Mr. Iwamoto watched with pure disgust. "That girl must be insane to be around that Kuwabara all the time."

Lunch came sooner than expected. Yukina sat at her desk in homeroom eating the lunch Shizuru had helped her pack that morning. Yusuke sat across the way, his feet up on the desk and his head buried in a manga. Keiko was studying from her textbook using her pencils as chopsticks again. Kuwabara, on the other hand, was over talking with his friends (you know, Kuwabara's gang.). Yukina watched solemnly as if studying Kuwabara's exact movements. "Hey, new kid!" Yukina looked up into the face of a girl sitting in front of her. "Uh, sorry. Hello." The blond girl brushed off her comment. "So, like, are you and Kuwabara an item? You've been all over school with no one but him." Yukina blushed. "I'm not sure what you mean." The girl rolled her eyes. "Are you dating? Or is it a crush?" Yukina blushed harder. "Well, we're good friends..." The blond laughed and her friends turned around. "Did you hear that girls? The new girl and Kuwabara are an item!" Yukina stood up. "I told you politely that we weren't. Please, stop twisting my words." The girls burst into laughter. "Now she's denying it! What a riot!" A brown haired girl leaned in. "What do you see in that big son of a bitch?" Yukina's face became hot. "Kuwabara-kun is not a son of a bitch or whatever you just called him!" The brown haired girl (her name is Togogawa) smiled. "Make me! What can you even do you wimp?" By now the whole class was watching, including Kuwabara. Yukina growled, balling her hands into fists. "You and that gay Kuwabara. Honestly!" Yukina threw herself forward. "Don't call Kuwabara gay!" Yukina landed a punch at Togogawa sending her flying to the ground. Coming back to her senses, Yukina looked down at the hurt girl. She hurried out of the room and into the hall. "Yukina." Kuwabara gasped. While Togogawa was complaining and bawling to Mr. Ikashi, Kuwabara slipped out of the room just in time to catch a glimpse of Yukina heading up the stairs that led to the roof of the building.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The wind blew through Yukina's hair and cooled her heated face. "What am I thinking?" she said aloud. The door leading into the building open and Kuwabara stepped out into the bright sunlight. "Yukina, you okay?" Yukina looked down at her fist and sighed. "I guess I'm more like my brother than I thought." Kuwabara looked at her puzzled. "Brother? Huh?" Yukina looked up again. "I guess you didn't know. Kuwabara, Hiei is my brother. I guess that explains why I have the nerve to punch a girl on my first day." Yukina seemed to chuckle to herself but Kuwabara was frozen in his footsteps. "Hiei? Brother? Wha--?" Yukina smiled. "It's hard to explain. It's because I'm Hiei's twin sister that I was attacked. I'm sorry that I hadn't told you yet." Kuwabara fell back down the stair to the building and Yukina ran after him, trying hard not to laugh.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After school, Yukina and Kuwabara walked home. "Well, how was that for a first day?" Kuwabara asked, still shaken from the Hiei= brother thing. Yukina smiled but kept her eyes on her feet. "Do I like Kuwabara? Or are we just friends?" she thought. Kuwabara grabbed her hand breaking her thought chain. "I heard what those girls said to you today. About us..." Yukina tried hard not to blush. "I just thought I should tell you...if you don't know..." Kuwabara took a deep breath and lay his hands on Yukina's shoulders. "I loved you from the second I saw your face on the video Koenma sent us. I still love you." Kuwabara blushed and looked downwards. Yukina smiled, touched. "I think I feel the same way Kuwabara-kun." Kuwabara smiled and the two continued walking home as the sun began to set behind them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That night, Yukina lay awake in her own bed on the floor of Kuwabara's room. Kuwabara snored softly above her and she sighed. "Kuwabara...maybe I love him more than I admit..." Yukina said. Memories of her and Kuwabara together flooded out her doubts and worries and pulled her into a deep sleep.