Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Love and Hate ❯ Fun and Games ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Love and Hate- Chapter 3: "Fun and Games"

By Matoko Shizaki

Disclaimer: YYH is copyrighted by FUNimation.

Notes: Nothing to say... Oh, after this I'm thinking of making a Yusuke/Keiko fic. Just a thought.

@~@~@~@~@~@

Weeks passed by in the small suburban town of Kaidan and Yukina assimilated even more. By now she had some friends, including Keiko's two good friends as well. School had given Yukina the chance to join art club after school on Tuesdays. Kuwabara couldn't be happier for her.

Yusuke and Kuwabara strolled down the lane past the stores included in their turf. "So how are you and Yukina doing...relationship wise?" Yusuke asked slyly. "I don't know." Kuwabara answered crossing his arms behind his head. "Hey, why don't you ask her out to the carnival Saturday! It can be a double date with you, her, me, and Keiko." Kuwabara shrugged. "I guess it's worth a try. She might've already been asked. You know, a lot of the guys at school have their eyes on her." Yusuke looked at his questionably. "Oh c'mon Kuwabara, it's obvious that Yukina wants to go out with you. She's just shy." "You think so?" Yusuke put a hand on his friend's shoulder. "Ya! What girl couldn't like the brain-less wonder?" "Hey! For your information Urameshi, I'm smarter then you!" "Ok, sure Kuwabara." The two continued to argue as they usually did until their ways parted near Kuwabara's house.

When Kuwabara came in, Yukina was at the stove, obviously working on dinner. "Hey Yukina, where's Shizuru?" Yukina looked up and brushed off her apron. "She got caught up at work and asked if I could make dinner tonight." Kuwabara nodded. "I can't ask her now." he thought nervously. "So, how was art club?" Kuwabara asked sitting down at the table facing Yukina. "Fine I guess but I think I'm going to quit." "Why?" Yukina pulled the rice off the stove and answered, "I haven't seen you much because of it. I kind of feel like I never see you any more." Kuwabara blushed and looked down at his feet. "Me too." Yukina sat the rice on the table and then the sushi rolls. She removed her oven mitts and apron and sat down across from Kuwabara. "Shizuru said not to wait for her. I guess we can give her the left overs." Kuwabara nodded and poured some rice into his bowl. Yukina did the same when the rice came to her. Kuwabara tried some rice and sushi. "Hey, Yukina, this is good." Yukina blushed. "I'm glad you think so." "I don't just think so, I know so."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kuwabara stood at his locker tapping his watch. Second period was about to begin and he was waiting for Yukina. Yukina hurried past and Kuwabara grabbed her arm stopping her. "Hey, Yukina, can I ask you something?" Two girls in the corner pricked up their ears. "Sure Kuwabara-kun. What is it?" Kuwabara wrung his hands nervously. "Well, do you want to go to the school carnival with me? You know, like a date? Urameshi and Keiko will be there too." Yukina blushed hard. "I'll give you time to think about it. Bye!" Kuwabara hurried to his next class, embarrassed. Yukina stood there stunned and overjoyed at the same time. "Kuwabara..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Classes began and Yukina took her seat in second period Language Arts class. The teacher was preparing her materials so the students sat talking. Yukina felt someone tap her shoulder. "Yes?" Yukina said turning around. Her two popular friends stood behind her. "Hey Yukina. Did that Kazuma Kuwabara guy really ask you out?" Yukina nodded cautiously as her two so called 'friends' laughed hysterically. "So, are you going to go out with him?" The teacher silenced the class. "I'll tell you later." Yukina whispered.

Keiko nervously watched from the other side of the class. "So, Yusuke was telling the truth! Kuwabara was thinking of asking Yukina out. I just hope that this doesn't get out in the daily gossip." She opened her notebook and began reading last night's homework to herself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yukina walked down the hall followed by her friends. "So, what are you going to tell him?" the black haired one (Bijaku) asked. "I'm going to tell him yes. I want to go out with him." Her brown haired friend (Karasu) gasped. "You can't be serious. C'mon Yukina! You can go to the carnival with any guy you want! Even the Romantic Soldier (Shuichi Minamino aka Kurama)!" Yukina nodded. "I know but I want to go with Kuwabara. I-- I think I like him too." Bijaku scowled. "We can't be seen with you if you're going to be going out with that ogre. Consider our friendship broken." Bijaku and Karasu turned around and walk away. "Guess you never really were my friends then." Yukina called to them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kuwabara was at his locker rummaging through it trying to find his textbook when Yukina came up. "Hi Kuwabara." Kuwabara looked up into Yukina's red eyes. "Oh, hey Yukina." he said shyly. Yukina switched her books over to her other arm. "Well, I have an answer to the question you asked me earlier." Kuwabara blushed. "Oh ya, that one." He rubbed the back of his head nervously while sweat drops appeared on his face. "I'd love to go with you on a date Kuwabara. I really would." Kuwabara's eyes got wide. "Really?" Yukina nodded, blushing too. Kuwabara slammed his locker closed. "Cool. Ok, well the carnival is tomorrow. Uh, see you later." Kuwabara ran down the hallway smiling as Yukina watched him. She blushed harder and then realized that since she met Kuwabara, she'd loved him deeply. "This is what I've wanted all along." Yukina sighed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day came quickly. Yukina was up at nine o'clock and dressed in a pair of bellbottom jeans and a blue t-shirt. Kuwabara was in the kitchen when she came in. "Good morning." Kuwabara said barely looking up from the omelets he was making. "Good morning." Yukina replied quietly. "Feelings must still be tense from yesterday." the maiden thought. "I hear that you blew off two of your friends to go do this with me today." Yukina smiled. "It's okay. If they sit there telling me who to date and who not to, they aren't really friends." "I guess you're right." Kuwabara exclaimed serving up the omelets. "So, when does this carnival start?" Kuwabara shrugged. "Urameshi said him and Keiko would meet us at Keiko's house at eleven o'clock." It was silent for a little while the two ate. "Kuwabara, please, what is a carnival?" Kuwabara facefaulted. "What, you mean they don't have carnivals in Makai?" Yukina shook her head and Kuwabara sighed.

"Well, a school carnival is a reward to the students. They have rides, junk food, soda, games where you win prizes, haunted houses, and then at the end of the day they have a big dance a fireworks." Yukina still looked confused. "Well," Kuwabara said, trying to explain better. "Have you ever been on something that tries to scare you for fun? That it whips you up and down and spins you and all that kind of stuff?" "Yes, at least I think so." "Those are what the rides are like and the haunted house tries to scare you with things that jump out and fake ghosts." Yukina smiled. "Okay. I think I understand now. That sounds fun!" "It is." Kuwabara said with his mouth full. "Just wait 'til this afternoon."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yusuke stood in front of Keiko's house waiting for her to come out. "How long does it take to get ready?" he cried up to her window on the second floor. Keiko stuck her head out the window. "You have no patience! Just wait." Yusuke sighed and leaned against the wall. Two figures burst out of the shadows in the alley adjacent to the house, one leading the other by the hand. Kuwabara and Yukina came to a haul in front of Yusuke, panting. "What's up with you two?" Yusuke asked looking them over. "You know, sometimes when you're the punk of Sariaski Jr. High, you never get a break from fighting." Kuwabara panted. "We were chased by these thugs. I guess some enemies of Kuwabara's." Yukina said. Keiko came out of the house through the back exit and joined the trio. "About time." Yusuke said. Keiko smacked him in the head sharply. "Hey, you're the one who asked ME out so just quit complaining." she cried. "Heh, looks like you've got some problems Urameshi." Kuwabara laughed. "Hey, shut up Kuwabara! Are you asking for your two front teeth in the palm of your hand?" Kuwabara poked Yusuke hard in the nose. "I'd like to see you try Urameshi." Yusuke shoved Kuwabara's hand away. "That can be arranged." Yukina and Keiko walked in front of the two laughing. "And I thought they were best friends." Yukina said. "They are." Keiko replied tear dropping.

The school grounds were flooded with students as the four walked through the main gates. Booths lined the pathways and the school entrance was blocked off. Looming in the distance was a giant Ferris wheel shining in the sunlight. "Wow." Yukina said just studying the fair grounds as the ground walked on. Kuwabara glanced over at Yukina and smiled. Keiko pointed to the line at the haunted house. "The line is very short. Why don't we do that first?" Yusuke shrugged. "Whatever. Those things are corny anyway." The four slipped under the string barriers at the back of the line and walked in.

Yukina could barely see through the darkness in the house. Her eyes soon adjusted and she found herself walking down a dirt path past several statues and withered trees. Graves were plunged into the dirt floor and a supernatural echo hung about. Keiko squeezed Yusuke's hand and the four continued walking. "Ghosts" and "ghouls" sprang out of their graves causing Yukina, Keiko, and Kuwabara jump. Yusuke kept his gaze strait ahead. From out of a casket rose a woman, draped in what looked like smoke and wearing a bright white kimono like the ones they bury people in. "7…6…5…4…" she muttered slowly as the group stopped. "3…2… need one more soul!" she moaned louder. Kuwabara and Yusuke bit their lips to keep from laughing as they continued. Strobe lights gave the illusion that the people were cartoons moving slowly. Yusuke noticed the dry ice in the corner producing the fog. "Will you be that one more soul?" A voice laughed as they left the dark house and immerged into the bright sunlight.

"That was campy." Yusuke said. Keiko nodded nervously, her heart still pounding. "Wow! That was fun!" Yukina laughed holding onto Kuwabara's hand. "What next Kuwabara-kun?"

It was nighttime when Yusuke and Keiko left. Kuwabara and Yukina stayed for a little longer, just in time to watch the fireworks from the Ferris wheel. The two lover's seat had just reached the top of the Ferris wheel when it stopped and the fireworks zoomed into the sky. "What happened Kuwabara? Why aren't we moving?" Kuwabara sat back and glanced upwards. "Must've broken down. Oh well, at least we get to see the fireworks." The next firework burst into a flower of reds, blues, greens, and purples leaving Yukina captivated. Kuwabara looked over at his crush. "These fireworks remind you of something?" Yukina nodded still watching the fireworks. "Yes, they remind me of the day I met you." Kuwabara sat for a moment. Suddenly, the Ferris wheel shuddered again and Yukina was thrown forward into Kuwabara's arms. "OH!" Kuwabara put his arms around Yukina to steady her. Yukina looked up admiringly. Yukina brought her face closer to Kuwabara and suddenly their lips touched in a kiss.

The love Yukina felt at the moment circulated through her body as if it was a replenishing energy and the happiness made her never want to let go. It seemed like they had held each other forever when they let go. Kuwabara and Yukina blushed and Yukina laid her head on Kuwabara chest. "I love you Kuwabara…" Kuwabara blushed hard and hugged her. "I love you too Yukina-chan."