Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ The Forbidden Wolf ❯ Intense Expedition ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I only own Kakarot, Genkao, and the mystery youkai.
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
Hiei: Who is this Vegeta that you speak of?
 
Me: He's a man from Dragonball Z who is very similar to you.
 
Hiei: And I should care because…?
 
Me: I DIDN'T SAY YOU HAD TO CARE!!!
 
Hiei: 0.0 Whoa! What's wrong with you?!
 
Me: I'm in a pissed off mood. Personal reasons mind you.
 
Hiei: (very serious) What happened?
 
Me: (pulls him close and whispers in his ear)
 
Hiei: (outraged) How dare he do that?!?! (pulls out katana)
 
Me: Yeah, I feel the same way. (waves to readers)Anyway, forget about that. I just needed to let off some hot air and typing makes me feel a lot better. Sorry about not updating faster. I got two viruses, had final exams, a book to read for summer homework, and I'm starting to babysit my grandnephew. Funny thing about the grandnephew is that I'm just a teenager! ^_^ The best thing is that on the last day of school, from 1:00 to 3:15, the whole school had the biggest damn water fight in history! Even the principal and vice-principal joined in! Have no fears, because I will still update as long as I have my wolf and dragon as muses! (smirks) Thanks for the reviews and the honest ratings on my story. I appreciate it.
 
Spork111: Thanks. That makes me happy to know!
 
trickstersthiefgirl: NNNOOO!!! Hot Topic can't close!!! Oh, well. Your friends sound cool!
 
Ania the Dragonwolf: Mucho gracias! I think the similarity of Vegeta and Hiei is a conspiracy! It's nice to know that people don't mind me USING the name Battousai and not thinking that I'm STEALING the name.
 
Animefangirl11: Easy now! Kurama-kun needs air! ^__^
 
Owl: I never tire of hearing how people like my story even though I think I need to do a lot of work to make it good enough for people to truly like it.
 
nightfox70: It's up!
 
Mr. Leader: I will say this nicely: I would appreciate it if you would stop telling me how to use the names of my OC! You sound like a person who isn't even reading the story, but is just reviewing to tell an author how to do things. I don't mind useful criticism, but you're not doing that. I am merely using the name Battousai as an A.KA. name, GOT THAT?! I love Kenshin and I understand that he has the title Battousai, but no one said that the name Battousai couldn't be used on others. Also, I don't feel like writing about the real Battousai, Kenshin. If I wanted to write a story about Rurouni Kenshin, it would be about Sanosuke Sagara, Hiko Seijuro, Aoshi Shinomori or maybe Kenshin. So go pick on another author for something worth flaming for and leave me alone, because this is my story thought up in my head and I am determined to write it the way I want it to be. I don't mean to sound rude, but that's how I feel. Sorry if you can't accept that.
 
Stacey: It's apparently you can because it's here!
 
King Uncle Kenny the 13th: WHOA! You like to review! Thanks for the information. Heartbreakingly, I have not seen either Yu Yu Hakusho movie or The Cat Returns. The Yu Yu Hakusho movies haven't even been brought out down here. -__- I have now finally updated and will keep doing so no matter what the length of time is. I haven't lost my muse, because I have two of them!
 
Hiei: (cursing in ancient youkai language)
 
Me: Hey! Let me join! (starts cursing with him)
_________________________________________________________________ _______
 
Chapter 12: Intense Expedition
 
“Are we there yet?” complained a tired-out Yusuke and Kuwabara both wishing they had brought Puu along to make the trip faster.
 
“Unfortunately, no,” came Kurama. “ The source of the unusual power is some ways off. Just be patient.” Kurama…always the reassurance of the group. The group had left through a portal set up by Koenma from the Hanyoukai early that morning and headed out on their search in another huge, sinister forest for the mysterious energy that's been coming from the mansion. They had brought only their essentials in backpacks along for the journey, because it was easier to travel swiftly with light loads rather than have heavy things to weigh them down. Well, Yusuke, Kuwabara, and Kurama had brought backpacks, but Hiei and Kakarot, being accustomed to living in the wilderness, hadn't the need for supplies. Kurama only because his ningen body had more needs than his natural form.
 
“Maybe if you two bakas hadn't stopped training, then maybe this would seem like a walk to your foolish, ningen game building,” Hiei snapped, effectively shutting the two up but not stopping their slumping bodies. He had been listening to them complain for the past five hours and his katana had been practically throbbing to be used. It was bad enough the damn toddler had sent them on another worthless mission in the first place, but to be stuck with bakas that only made the journey longer and tiring had almost driven him to attack the onna and force her to give him the Shadow Sword and turn them into mindless, lesser demons. `No, that wouldn't work. They're already mindless.'
 
Hiei took a glance at the semi-wolf demon and her ex-thieving brother. Neither had said much as the group trekked at a steady pace through the less-than-dense forest. The kitsune probably didn't say anything, because he didn't want to take the risk of a dispute between himself and his estranged sibling. Kurama looked pretty worn out. He had little stress marks around his face and slightly darkened bags under his eyes. Knowing him, he was probably staying up late at night being vexed about the musume's ways. He better be ready for whatever lies ahead.
 
Hiei wasn't sure why he had started their battle for dominance. Maybe it was the fire blood they both had in them. Yeah, that's it. Fire youkai had the internal need to feel superior to those of their own kind. They lived in isolation except when they settled down with a mate and offspring. It was the koorime in the both of them that helped the kitsune to `cool' them down when things started to heat up.
 
Or maybe it was because he just didn't trust or like her. She had a mysterious aura that seemed a bit off track. Not to mention, she was, maybe still, a criminal with unusual abilities. She destroyed the souls of the toddler's lackeys. To think that he let her near his twin.
 
`Yukina,' he mused. The peace-loving Koorime had grown quite attached to the new resident at the temple. She took the reluctant nuisance under her snowy wings and started teaching her the ways of the ningens. And the nuisance caught on quick learning the basics on the foreign world as a foal learns how to stand right after birth. Maybe she does have some intelligence.
 
Now that his daily moment of pondering about things that were of no true use to him was over, it was time to pay more attention to the matter at hand. He could barely feel it, but there was indeed an odd source of ki coming from far ahead. It felt like an untamable power that was ready to be unleashed into the worlds of unsuspecting beings. He couldn't tell if it was a good or evil aura but the one thing was for certain: He was going to find out what is was and try to master it. The thought of controlling such a force made his blood boil and tingle with excitement and didn't care what the others thought. His heart may be slightly at peace but having the Dragon of the Darkness Flame mastered made him yearn to try and tame something that was unrestrained by anyone as of yet. Surely, no youkai held this power so it was up for grabs waiting for him.
 
Hiei wasn't the only one feeling the enormous energy waiting for them at their destination. With everyone having youkai blood in them, minus Kuwabara who had his keen sixth sense, the power was a bit unsettling to the mind. It made the two whiners cease their put on of exhaustion and thieves more focused. What created this unusual radiation and what was its purpose? Was it something created for destruction or had it been laying dormant for who knows how long? If that was the case, why had it awakened now or who had released it and for what reason?
 
“Hey Urameshi,” said Kuwabara.
 
“What?” Yusuke replied.
 
“What do you suppose is causing that strange energy?” asked Kuwabara.
 
“I'm not sure, but whatever it is sure is giving me a headache.” To prove his words, he put his hand to his head and squinted his eyes.
 
`Whatever it is, this could prove to be a more complicated mission then what Koenma thought,' thought Kurama.
 
`This feeling… there are no words truly able to describe it. Maybe going on these puny fieldtrips with these morons will be more interesting than I thought,' Kakarot deduced.
 
The energy didn't only affect themselves but also the environment around them. The plants seemed to be crowding in as if warning them that the path they were traveling would lead to something that mightn't welcome them with opening arms. The animals, if you could call them that considering they looked like they had all been born of parents that wasn't sure of what they wanted their offspring to be, made noises of utter desperation but didn't make the effort of going but a few steps in the direction that the Reikai Tentei were headed. Hell, even the ground seemed to be adding twists and curves and an unnaturally rocky grounding to hinder their journey. Was this because of the energy just being there or did the Makai feel something so evil that the very world of chaos and destruction feared it?
 
Because of the uneasiness of their surroundings, the group didn't sense their newly arrived company until Kakarot whipped around and crouched her agile body into a fighting position, her katana ready to strike and her senses to their maximum. She put on a calm but deadly, feral expression while her narrowed, sapphire orbs lit up with excitement, but calmness, for bloodshed as she waited for the others to follow.
 
The others now sensed their foes and, too, brought out their weapons and got into fighting stances, back to back of each other in a circle.
 
The slow, agonizing wait of their next move was unnerving. Twigs crunched under the weight as the enemies steadily surrounded them, but they were undetectable by ki. It was as if they had no life force, no heartbeats, no souls. Low, haunting sounds erupted from behind the trees as though as the forest was breathing out a sigh of death, causing slight tremors to go through Yusuke and Kuwabara and making Kurama, Hiei and Kakarot to feel somewhat edgy.
 
“What is this, Spook Forest? First the creepy forest and creatures, and now this?” asked Kuwabara looking back and forth nervously.
 
“Looks like these assholes decided to celebrate Halloween early,” said Yusuke cockily. Who cares if they made things seem spooky? They were just more simple obstacles in his way that he, Yusuke Urameshi, was ready to jump over.
 
“Yusuke, this is hardly the time to be making jokes,” Kurama whispered.
 
All of a sudden, a dewy mist surrounded the Reikai Tentei, dimming their sight, and the clatter of weapons and moving life forms advanced upon them. Of what little they could see, bodies of rotten flesh and multi-shaped bones clad only in rags and holey armor enclosed upon them, their rusty and aged spears and swords ready to kill the living. They were youkai zombies; no they were more than youkai zombies. Yes, they were youkai zombies with a purpose for destruction that seemed to be already imbedded within them despite their lifelessness. It was clear to see by their psychotic-looking skulls when the mist disappeared.
 
“Enough of this, I'm going in!” yelled Kuwabara. He let out a war cry and charged at the zombies, his Rei Sword raise for the attack.
 
“You imbecile! Get back here! We don't know what they can do!” Yusuke cried out desperately for his friend.
 
It was too late. Kuwabara was already in front of one of the zombies and brought his sword down, thinking that the zombie would go down without much effort. How wrong he was. When Kuwabara cut the zombie in half, it did go down, but as Kuwabara turned his back to give his group a victory sign, he was knocked into a tree.
 
“Kuwabara!” Kurama and Yusuke shouted, running towards their dazed friend.
 
The fight was on. While Kurama and Yusuke ran toward Kuwabara, Hiei and Kakarot started fighting off the attacking zombies. It was the only thing they could do. As the zombies were brought down, they kept getting back up. With or without their body parts.
 
Soon, the two warriors were joined by their teammates. Kurama used his Rose Thornwheel, effectively throwing about twenty-five zombies back away from him. He looked to his sister. Oh, how he wanted to push her behind him and protect her, but he had to let her know that he believed in her abilities so he stood, waiting for another attack as he watched her. She seemed to enjoy the fight but also seemed agitated that her prey wouldn't stay down. She was jumping left and right and running through a group of zombies, slashing with the heavy-looking, fire-lit katana that she wielded with ease.
 
Hiei was fairing well as well. He was slicing through the zombies with the precision of the expert sword fighter he was. He too seemed upset that his victims wouldn't stay down. It seemed that no matter what, they kept on coming and coming.
 
Yusuke jumped up and shot through thirty dead bodies with his Rei Gun that had appeared behind Kuwabara as he sliced through fifteen.
 
“I bet I can kill more of them than you, Urameshi!” Kuwabara challenged as he cut the head off of a zombie. Funny thing was, it landed on his head. “AAAHHH!!! Urameshi! Get it off!”
 
“In case you haven't notice Kuwabaka, THEY'RE ALREADY DEAD!!!!” Yusuke hollered angrily, getting close enough to knock the skull off of Kuwabara's head, then smacked him in the head.
 
“Itai! Dammit Urameshi! I was just joking!” That's what he said but everyone knew the truth. Soon the two were joined by their comrades. The zombies slowly surrounded the Reikai Tentei forcing them into a tight circle, once again, back to back.
 
“They just won't stay down,” Kurama said, receiving a dirty look from Kakarot.
 
“No, shit, Kurama. What was your first clue?” He didn't answer to his sister's rude state of question, because the zombies were less than five feet around the group.
 
“Hn. You bunch of bakas are worthless,” said Hiei. Quickly, Hiei yanked off his bandana, revealing his Jagan eye, built up his ki and summoned his Dragon of the Darkness Flame. The team had to brace theirselves as the black-flamed dragon's energy caused intense waves of winds. Hiei gritted his teeth as he put more ki into his dragon, which was circling up in the darkened, lightning-lit sky. The bandages around his right arm had broken apart like shriveled, dried leaves crushed into one's hand. Soon, he had put as much ki as he could and secured his feet slightly into the ground.
 
“DRAGON OF THE DARKNESS FLAME!!!!” The huge dragon came down with severe might and zipped through all of the zombies, knocking them down and crushing their bones, defeating them.
 
It may be working to the untrained eye, but Kakarot sensed that the almighty dragon of Hell might not be enough. The youkai zombies were still getting back up, slowly but surely. Using the team's blindness to everything except the dragon to her advantage, Kakarot summoned a black rose with blue tips. She sent her ki enlaced with dark magic into the rose, then tore off the petals in a small clump. The ki-infused wind lifted the petals into the air and spread them as fast as the dragon was. As they started swirling around the zombies, they multiplied. The zombies soon started deteriorating as the petals hit them. They cried out in a released of horrid freedom as they started melting into puddles of rotten, acidy liquid. What last bit of their former selves was finally put to rest. The dragon of chaos returned to its resting place.
 
Hiei brought his now blackened arm to his side and heaved in a large breath of air. He hadn't used up ALL of his ki, but he was still a bit tired. He would be fine as soon as he caught his breath. Kurama gave him a slight pat on the back, causing the fire youkai to growl in irritation. Kakarot gave out a little sigh of relief. Now that those pesky zombies were eliminated, they could finish the baka mission and then she could avoid the bakas until their next baka mission.
 
“YYYAAAAHHHH HIEI!!!!” Yusuke yelled jubilantly, shaking his fist in the air. “You sure showed them!”
 
“Yeah, Hothead. You did okay,” Kuwabara muttered, rubbing his somewhat sore head.
 
Hiei and Kurama were too busy trying to figure out what had happened to pay attention to the rest their teammates. They knew there was something just too strange about those youkai zombies. They came out of nowhere. They couldn't have been created by any normal youkai. They weren't the normal types of zombies that had souls trapped in skeletal bodies, mindlessly roaming wherever. They must have had to do something with the destroyed mansion. That meant that someone was trying to prevent them from reaching the mansion, besides the forest and its inhabitants which maybe they should have taken heed to.
 
Wonderful, more questions to answer. Who sent those zombies? What type of powers did their master have that could create them? Was it the mysterious owner of the mansion? If so, why show up now? What did he have to hide that was so important to have undead guards to protect it?
 
For Kakarot, she was wondering the same things but a little differently. Why did the use of those particular zombies seem so familiar to her? How had she known what to do to make them deteriorate? Was all of this part of the past she had tried so hard to completely forget? If so, did she want to continue this mission fully? Of course she did. Maybe if she finished it, her whole horrible past would be eradicated from her mind fully and she could move on. To what, she didn't know, but she would cross that path when she came to it. For now, just continue the journey and be prepared for anything.
 
The group left the rotten puddles of goop and persisted on their strange and curiously fascinating journey.
 
 
 
Me: It sucked.
 
Hiei: Hn. I know.
 
Me: You don't have to be so mean about it just because I wrote better one page stories than this whole story when I was a little kid.
 
Hiei: You have little self-confidence. I want a strong musume, not a weak one. (walks away)
 
Me: Just great. I can't write worth shit and my koibito rejected me! (sinks to the floor and starts sobbing) (looks up) Thanks readers who actually like my story, but that's just how I feel. YOU'RE ALL SO NICE!!!!! (starts sobbing again, not because of lousy story, but because of lost koi) (By the way, I'm just putting on the play, but Hiei was for real. What's an onna to do?!)