Naruto Fan Fiction ❯ Far End ❯ Volume One, Chapter One: The Long Road ( Chapter 1 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]
The Long Road
…Great spaces closed and opened around them. To understand the story, one must peek at the end. Start at the end and go back. Yes, yes, that is perfect.
So many points to begin with. It’s hard to pick which one. The threads all go out in different directions. Some are tangled up in each other. Knots, knots, some many knots.
But, never mind.
The teachers from Hidden Leaf Village began their search. This latest test had taken a turn for the worst. It had rained a couple of nights before. The forest still felt like a swamp. Plus, the power was still out. All eyes looked for signs of life.
Two Years Later…
The sky had never looked so blue. Chiyo squinted at the clouds. They seemed so fleeting to her. Everyone always tried to protect her. The reason lied in something that wasn’t her fault. In fact, it happened before she was born. Her mother wasn’t comfortable with telling her the truth. At least, not yet anyway. All eyes always remain Chiyo. Even the older boys that joked around with her protected her. But, she does not want this.
Chiyo is tired of being protected. She wants to fend for herself for a change. That’s kind of hard to do when you had physical problems before birth. That’s not going to stop her, though.
I will get stronger, she thought. The girl clinched her fists.
“Chiyo-chan!” she heard her mother call. The girl turned and looked.
“Yes?” she asked.
“It’s time to come in now,” her mother said. “It’s getting dark.”
“Yes!” the girl yelled. He turned and walked up the stony path.
Four years ago…
The blackened rain ceased to stop. Katsuya held Sakura to his chest. He didn’t know where Sasuke and Naruto disappeared to. He couldn’t contact help in this state. Sakura lied there injured, but conscious. Katsuya held her and kissed her on the forehead. The heavy rains took away his words with the wind. He paused at the sound of heavy footsteps coming towards them. The boy held his dragger close to his side.
“Who’s there?” he asked in a hoarse voice. A flashlight shone on his face. Katsuya squinted for a better look. He could make out three people, mostly men, staring them down as he and Sakura sat under the grove.
“Oh,” he said. “And what do we have here?” Sakura glanced over at the flashlight. Katsuya snickered to himself.
“You tell me,” he replied. Some of the rain hit his cheek. Sakura glanced up at him.
Six years ago…
The sun hadn’t come out yet. The boy stood among the ruins of the village. This wasn’t his home, but it felt like such. The people were so nice to him. They didn’t have to die the way that did last night. He was the only one left alive. The boy even watched as the houses and building were set on fire. He couldn’t block out their scream as he stood there. The child did not move. He didn’t even know what else to do. This wasn’t the first time this happened. He’s come to witness this tragedy years before. He doesn’t remember how it happened or why. Rumors about him being the god of death followed shortly after the first incident.
Because of this, the child tried to avoid people altogether. He just didn’t want any trouble. The rumors didn’t really bother him; he just didn’t want the headache. The boy sneered to himself.
I don’t care! I’m better on my own anyway!
Yet, why doesn’t just walk away. It’s like his feet stayed stuck where they were. He felt nothing for the damage and aftermath. It’s almost second nature to him at this stage. Just stand and move on. However, this morning turned out quite different.
Present day
There is a new mission for the students of Hidden Leaf Village. They are to be scattered out to find out why whole villages were being wiped out one by one. The students set out at three o’clock that afternoon.
And here is where the story begins…
The first match will be blown out here.
Chapter One