+Anima Fan Fiction ❯ Stop Pretending to Sleep ❯ Sing For The Memories ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Stop Pretending to Sleep *part 8*
 
Justice watched the doctor walk away in silence. Jason slowly stood up beside her and Justice followed suit holding onto Jason's hand. The two walked slowly into Kevin's room. The familiar sound of the machines could no longer be heard above the eerie silence. Jason let go of Justice's hand and sat beside the bed where Kevin's lifeless body still lay. Justice stood there for a moment watching Jason stare intently at Kevin's forever shuttered eyes as if listening to a story of adventure and intrigue. She walked to a chair in a dark corner of the room opposite Jason. A million thoughts were running through her head but Justice couldn't find the words to express them. She stopped and sat for a while trying to come up with any kind of explanation for this tragedy and she started remembering a song she hadn't heard in a long time; a song from the past… Justice began to sing.
“The problem with your smile is that it's gone; and all your laughter will have to wait till after. And the problem with her clothes is that they're off; they're folded nicely and packed up tightly cause you're gone.
And time is burning, I am learning just cause you're gone doesn't mean you're gone cause you're name was written down.
I never thought I'd ever see you bleed but your skin is so cold now; I wish that you'd stop pretending to sleep. And our tree house and our Saturdays are gone; now that this is over I guess it's my turn to be strong. Well I want this, I need this, I'm helpless without this
And time is burning, I am learning just cause you're gone doesn't mean you're gone cause you're name was written down. And though I walk these halls alone; just cause you're gone doesn't mean you're gone cause you're name was written down.
As I lay me down to sleep I pray the Lord my soul to keep and if I die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to take.
And the problem with your eyes is that they still shine!
But time is burning, I am learning just cause you're gone doesn't mean you're gone cause you're name was written down. And though I walk these halls alone; it's just when you're gone that I feel you're gone cause you're name was written down.”
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*
Justice opened her eyes and in those first few moments of light she almost had herself convinced that it was all a dream. Every day for the past month had been nothing more than an elaborate and terrifying nightmare. But, as Justice's eyes opened wider, she could take in her surroundings and realize it wasn't all just a bad dream but a sick and twisted reality. During the night Justice and Jason had fallen asleep in each others arms on the chair next to what used to be Kevin's hospital bed. Now it was made up neatly and properly awaiting the next patient. The nurses had left Justice and Jason to sleep while they took Kevin's body to the coroner to determine if any foul play was the cause of death. Justice sat up in the chair only to find Jason pacing the room with a full cup of now ice cold coffee.
Jay? What time is it?” Justice asked sleepily.
Jason didn't answer her. He didn't even look at her. But she saw his lips moving as if he was talking to himself.
No you fool! It wasn't right was it!? How could you be so stupid!? Yes, very stupid, so sorry, how silly of me. Sorry… sorry…” Jason was muttering.
Justice was startled to realize Jason was actually having a complete conversation with himself! She stood up and walked towards him making sure to keep her distance. He seemed totally unaware of Justice's presence; even when she was standing almost on his toes, he still didn't take notice. Justice lightly placed her hand on his shoulder and Jason jumped away from her as if burned by a hot iron. Taken aback, he retreated into the darkness of the room. Justice glanced at the only clock on the wall closest to her and saw that its 3a.m. Even with the blinds on the window pulled up to the top, the room was still dark. Not wanting to scare Jason further, Justice tried a different tactic. She just wanted to get him into the bed so he could get some sleep before having to deal with his parents.
“Jason? Honey it's Justice; are you ok?
Jason stared at her blankly for a moment. Then, as if snapping out of a trance, his eyes hardened and became emotionless.
“Yea Jas, I'm fine. Are you ok? Go back to bed.” Jason's voice was frighteningly monotone.
Justice sat on the edge of the bed without taking her eyes away from Jason.
“Only if you come with me… ok? Come back to bed. We have a long day ahead of us.” Justice tried to persuade him. It didn't work. Jason still stood there, not blinking.
“Yes… a very long day. I'm sorry Jas, I just can't sleep.
I understand hun but you have to sleep. At least lie down for an hour or two. Can you do that for me?
Justice already decided that Jason couldn't deal with his parents long enough to tell them the news so she would tell them herself.
Jason sat in the chair by the bed and looked at Justice with cold eyes. She could see, just in his eyes, the weight of the world. Jason didn't just lose his brother last night; he lost his best friend.