.hack//LIMINALITY Fan Fiction / .hack//SIGN Fan Fiction ❯ .hack//CHECK ❯ Change ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 18 // Change

. . .

"How is our subject today?"

"Brainwave patterns are everywhere and nowhere."

"Huh? What does that mean?"

"Take a look. According to the monitors, the subject has just enough brain activity to keep his heart and lungs going."

"Right... However?"

"However, we can't get a reading on any other types of activity."

"Well, that's certainly an odd occurrence. Tell me. Is there a possibility that the subject is a vegetable?"

"I don't know."

"Was this project a failure?"

"I don't know."

. . .

Many characters were huddled near candles and small shrines as Naomi strolled to the Save Point in New Mac Anu. "Thank you for your participation in the Cyber Connect Grand Prix!", said the NPC, "Here is your prize!" The NPC handed Naomi several books. Although she knew it was an NPC, she felt that its cheery disposition was a little inappropriate.

#CHIME, CHIME!# "You have new mail!"

I"ll check it later, she thought as she walked to the main bridge. She sat on the wooden bridge's rail, and stared at the moving water in the canal below. "Huh?", she said as she turned her head. She thought she saw something in the corner of her eye. "Come on out." she said.

Suddenly, a figure appeared from empty space. It was Fang. "Yo! That was pretty good!", he said.

"What do you want?"

"Well, since for one reason or another we can't date in RL, I was thinking that maybe we could date here..."

"You didn't notice the absence of a reply? You are obnoxious."

". . . Well, geez. That's not nice of you at all..."

"Leave."

"Okay, okay, already... Geez... I'll be back..." He faded into empty space.

Naomi hopped off of the rail, and opened her inventory. She viewed the books that were in her possession. Hmmm..., she thought, I'll open this one. The book she held was red in color. When she opened it, a beam of light shot from the sky.

To her, the rest of the World had faded out of view. As she looked below, she could see a roulette wheel spinning. It was difficult for her to make out, but on the wheel she saw the icons for equipment classes (Gloves, Armor, Knives, Headgear, and Footgear). When the wheel stopped, the ball landed on the picture of Knives. Before she knew anything, the second book automatically opened, the beam of light became even brighter, and she heard a bird-like cry. A white flame began to burn in front of her. When she reached out to touch it, it absorbed into her hands. Then, the third book automatically opened. The light was blinding. A voice began to ask her some seemingly random questions. Each time she answered, she noticed that the light began to dim.

When the light had disappeared, Naomi was standing on the main bridge of New Mac Anu. She looked around, and noticed that Fang was still there, and he was staring at her.

"OH MY GOSH!!!!", Fang exclaimed, "IT IS THE HOTNESS!!!!"

"Huh?", she said. She ran to the nearest armor shop, and Fang followed. When she got there, she looked in the mirror. Her character looked different. She wore a short, loose-fitting yellow kimono with red trim. Her body had red fiery markings on it. Her black hair had blonde and red highlights, and was untied. Her goggles now rested above her hairline. When she turned, she noticed that the back of her kimono had the same Phoenix insignia as her weapons.

"Oooohhh, baby!", shouted Fang, "You look so good that you're ruining my eyes! What do you say we go to a deserted field and..."

"Hell no.", said Naomi.

"Awww... I was only gonna ask for a PvP match..."

"Really?"

"Well, no... I was gonna ask for something else. . ."

"Uh-huh... Let's make a deal."

"A deal?"

"Well, I want to test something out. So, here's the deal. If I win in a PvP match, you leave me alone. However, if you win, you get my #shudder# member address. Deal?"

"You're on!"