.hack//SIGN Fan Fiction ❯ .Hack Trilogy ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Introduction: the .Hack// Ai Buster novel chronicles the adventures of Albireo, who in his real life identity of Watarai is a systems administrator for Cyber Connect Corp, and his encounter with a AI who seeks life.
 
Hack// Trilogy Two
.Hack Ai Buster: Crossing Paths
 
Kamui paused, the Long Arm standing by the bridge as she fought down her excitement. For the first time since he had resigned from Cyber Connect Corp she was going to see her former boss Watarai, even if only here in the World. With a sure step she continued on through the water capital of Mac.Anu, making her way to the older building and up to the second story, where she targeted the door and knocked.
 
Albireo's simulated voice called, "Who's there?"
 
Kamui kept her voice firm, "It's me."
 
Albireo opened the door, his avatar's smile a genuine one of welcome. He didn't show surprise at their similar look, though he must have noticed the details. They both had dark hair, tho hers was cropped shorter, and both had eyes of a different color. He wore a scale-mail shirt like a fallen knight while she was garbed in full armor, and his eyes instantly turned to the spear in her hand, a near perfect replica of the weapon that he once wielded.
 
Kamui sat at the table, studying him thoughtfully before she said, "It's good to see you... I was worried about you."
 
Albireo smiled back, a bit of regret in his voice as he said, "I'm sorry, I needed to get away from everything for awhile."
 
Kamui felt a burst of frustration, but she contained it firmly. Watari had collapsed at his desk right before the infamous Twilight incident, and it hadn't been long after that he had resigned. 'Or was pushed out,' she thought bitterly. After his resignation he had disappeared, taking his numbers offline and unlisted, as well as dropping out of the World game. More than once Kamui had been tempted to use company resources to track him down but common sense had prevailed. And now, suddenly, he had returned to the World, leaving Kamui more confused than ever.
 
Kamui nodded thoughtfully, "Well, I'm glad you're back. Would you consider... rejoining the Cobalt Knights?"
 
Kamui waited, feeling more nervous than usual. The Cobalt Knights were debuggers, answering to CC Corp only, and at one time Watarai had lead them as Albireo. After his resignation Kamui had found herself given the job, a situation she hadn't been happy about in the least. Of course offering Albireo the chance to rejoin was probably against company policy, but she rather thought she could pull it off.
 
To Kamui's surprise Albireo laughed, his smile gentle. "Sorry, I'm not laughing at you." he quickly explained. "I was just imagining my wife's reaction to my getting involved with the Cobalts once again."
 
"You're married?" Kamui blurted, feeling shock... and a odd sense of betrayal. For several years now she had dedicated herself to the ideals she thought Albireo represented, and it was disquieting to realize he had moved on from what he had once been to her. "In real life or the World?" she had to ask.
 
"Both," Albireo admitted.
 
"Congratulations," Kamui made herself say. With a frown suddenly she found herself wondering why Albireo had contacted her, especially since he seemed to have no interest in the Cobalt Knights or CC Corp any longer.
 
"Thank you," he answered. As usual, Albireo anticipated her question as he continued, "I'm sorry for contacting you out of the blue, but something has come up."
 
"Oh?" Kamui asked.
 
Tilting his head to the side Albireo smiled grimly, "Of course you know about the situation with the Crimson Knights...?"
 
"Of course," Kamui agreed, faintly surprised he knew.
 
The Crimson Knights were a self-appointed police force for the World, later given a semi-official status by CC corp. Over the years the Cobalt Knights had used the group for assistance, and there was a loose association between them. Recently the leader of the Crimson Knights had been expelled from the group by a more aggressive faction, and there were growing rumblings of discontent among regular players.
 
"What you may not know," Albireo said quietly, "is that there is a powerful faction of players who are intent on defeating the Crimson Knights." He smiled slightly, "Considering the connection with the Cobalt Knights, I thought I should give you a heads up."
 
Kamui tapped her fingers on the table, thoughts racing. Losing the Crimson Knights would make the Cobalt Knights more visible, possibly make their jobs harder, too. "I wonder if someone could ask Subaru to appeal for calm?" she mused.
 
"I think she's part of the opposition," Albireo answered wryly.
 
"Things are that bad?" Kamui blinked.
 
"The Crimson Knights have always operated with the silent approval of the majority of the players," Albireo reminded her, "but they've gradually lost that support with strong arm tactics and an almost oppressive attitude. Most players now think that the Crimson Knights have to go.. or at least change a great deal."
 
Kamui tapped her finger on the table top thoughtfully as she studied Albireo. "You're involved in this, too?" she asked.
 
Albireo flashed her a grin, "You're sharper than you used to be." A bit more quietly he continued, "Yes, I had a few run ins with the Crimsons shortly after I returned to playing, not to mention some friends of mine."
 
"I suspect you dealt with them handily," Kamui murmured as she quickly considered the situation. "I plan to urge the Cobalt Knights to stay out of this conflict," she smiled at him wryly, "as I suspect you intended."
 
"Good," Albireo nodded. He studied her a moment, "Other than leading the Cobalt Knights, do you play in the World?"
 
Kamui looked at him in surprise, "I'm a administrator at CC Corp," she said uncomfortably,. "it takes a great deal of time..."
 
"I remember," Albireo sighed, "our responsibility to the players and the company." He hesitated, searching for the right words, "But in the end the World is a game, created to give enjoyment.. and if you don't play, you'll never fully understand that."
 
A bit stiffly Kamui answered, "With all due respect sir, playing and overworking is partially why you quit."
 
"Is that the story that CC Corp is circulating?" Albireo laughed. He looked at her gently, "Just think about it, please..."
 
Kamui nodded, feeling unable to refuse his request. "I need to get back to work," she said as she stood up, "please excuse me."
 
"Then I look forward to seeing you in the World again," Albireo firmly shook her hand before she left his home.
 
Kamui left the house and walked back to the bridge, casually listening to the conversations as she walked. There was an undercurrent of anger as many players discussed the Crimson Knights, relaying injustices and supposed crimes that the Knights had committed against them. She reached the spot and signed off....
 
...and Saki Shibayama took off her visor, rubbing at her eyes. Sitting at her terminal in the Japanese offices of CC Corp she composed an email, sending it out to her various Cobalt Knights. She informed them of the possible conflict involving the Crimson Knights and let them know if they intended to fight for the Crimsons they would have to do so without any of the special enhancements they had as Cobalt Knights.
 
'Being in the same degree of danger as a regular player should at least slow them down,' Saki thought, grabbing her water bottle.
 
Taking a long drink Saki walked to the window, taking a look out at the city as she considered what Albireo had said. Working as a debugger didn't really require her playing the game, but she had to concede she didn't always understand the hard-core players. They looked at the World in a different way, like it was a real place not simply a simulation.
 
'Maybe because the friendships they built there are real,' Saki silently mused, 'even if the place itself is not.'
 
Some weeks later a army was gathering on a golden field, the place where there had once been a great battle against the One Sin. Player characters of all types stood about talking, preparing, even as a smaller group at the center planned their assault on the headquarters of the Crimson Knights.
 
Subaru's dark blue hair fell into her eyes as the Heavy Axe looked her inner circle over. "I think we're nearly ready," she said, "are each of you prepared?"
 
Tsukasa nodded, his gray hair falling into his eyes. "Hokuto and I will lead the Wavemasters, as well as provide healing magics," he smiled, a tenderness visible between him and Subaru.
 
"The Heavy Blades are all ready to go," Orca grinned rakishly, his second in command Bear standing nearby.
 
One by one the commanders sounded off, ending with a smiling Albireo standing beside a young woman dressed as a wavemaster. "The Long Arms will follow as you lead," he nodded.
 
"Remember to give the Crimson Knights the opportunity to surrender," Subaru said firmly, "we're not a band of Player Killers." She flashed a sudden smile, "But don't endanger yourselves foolishly, either."
 
As they scattered to their various commands Albireo slowed, eyes widening as he saw a familiar figure standing with his Long Arms. "Kamui?" he blinked.
 
"I heard you could use fighters," Kamui answered with a grin. Unlike her full armor as a Cobalt Knight she now wore a simple mail shirt, her posture much more relaxed than it had once been. She raised a eyebrow at the Wavemaster, "Friend of yours?"
 
"Kamui, I'd like you to meet my wife Hokuto," Albireo introduced them, "Kamui is a old comrade in arms of mine."
 
Hokuto gave Kamui a shrewd look as the little blonde quickly took in the resemblance between the two Long Arms and said, "I take it you're doing the same job Albireo used to do?"
 
"Something like that," Kamui quickly agreed, glad that Hokuto hadn't mentioned exactly what job that was.
 
"I had hoped that you'd start playing," Albireo said to her softly, "but I really wasn't expecting you to join us."
 
"I wasn't planning to," Kamui admitted, "but I had a few run ins with the Crimson Knights as a player... enough to convince me steps needed to be taken."
 
"Glad to have you," Albireo nodded.
 
To be continued....