.hack//SIGN Fan Fiction ❯ Yasashii Yoake (Gentle Dawn) ❯ Gaurdian ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Yasashii Yoake (Gentle Dawn) By Sakura (aka L-sama no Miko)     2: Guardian              ;  Tsukasa sat on the fence of the town’s grunty ranch, feeding one of the baby pig like creatures twilight onions. He smiled as the baby ran after each morsel he threw at it. After the grunty ‘grew up’ and flew away, he decided to wander what was becoming his favorite town in search of something else to do. He stopped as he heard someone call him.             It was the blue and white painted man from the day before. “Have you heard the news?” he asked. The silver haired cleric frowned, not bothering to acknowledge the man’s presence. “Whatever it is, it doesn’t concern me,” he replied, starting on his way again.             “Just thought I’d ask,” the man said, concern for the boy written clearly written on his face. Tsukasa, however, missed the look and continued walking away from the ranch.   ************   Mimiru had returned to Dun Loireag and was walking around in search for jobs – she was a merc after all – when she saw a certain silver haired priest heading her way. She paused and put on her best smile as he came closer, but she didn’t get the reaction she’d been hoping for. The boy just continued walking past her as if she hadn’t even been there. Slightly put off, he huffed then went back to her searching. Seeing the priest again had her thinking about him and she failed to see the man coming over to her. He let out a roar, putting his painted face mere inches in front of hers, making her jump and drop her enormous sword. “What’d you do that for?!” she yelled, recognizing one of the few people she’d worked with before. Chuckling, the man backed off. “It looked like you had a lot on your mind,” he said, “I couldn’t resist, sorry.” “Well, just don’t do that again,” she said pouting, “You scared me half to death.” “So are you going to tell me what got you so spaced out?” Deciding she had nothing better to do, she nodded and led them to a less populated area where they wouldn’t be heard. Once they were sitting comfortably, she began to tell about the annoying and not to mention exceptionally rude priest she ran into yesterday as well as about what she heard about the Crimson Knights’ latest investigation. “A cat demon?” Bear asked, intrigued. “That’s what the knights said,” Mimiru explained, “They’ve been asking people for info on that guy.” “Sounds kinda fishy to me,” he said, worried, “They’re taking this too seriously for it to be a routine background search.” “So what?” she said, nonchalantly, “You know as much as I that those jerks always make a big deal about everything. It’s like they’re walking around with a bunch of sticks up their –“ “Sounds to me like you don’t like them much do you?” “Well, I know they’re only trying to keep the peace here, but they could lose that holier-than-thou attitude.” “So that’s why you like to go off alone then.” The bronzed girl chose not to reply to that, instead she started to think about the cleric again, growing concerned. “I just hope that guy’s not in any trouble with them,” she said after a bit.             “Well as I see it,” began Bear, “I’m more concerned about that memory loss of his. I’ve never heard of a monster being able to wipe a person’s memory let alone for the effects to last after it’s been long dead either.” He got up to leave. “I’ve got a lot of thinking to do, so I’ll see you later, Mimiru,” he said, waving. “Later!” she called after him before going on her own way.   ***************    The blonde angel ran across the mountainous wasteland, looking over her shoulder every few seconds to see a shadowy figure still stalking her. Ducking into one of the ruined buildings littering the area, she panted. A slight crunching sound drew her attention and she darted to look behind, her to see… nothing. Relaxing slightly, she lowered her staff just a bit. However for her stalker, that was just enough. He silently landed behind her, grinning like a madman.             “Your name please,” he demanded, pressing one of his twin blades against her throat and wrapping an arm around her waist effectively trapping her golden wings against his dark clad chest. “Oh by the way,” he whispered into her ear, “How do you like my style? I could be a powerful ally for you. But you’ll have to trust me. The angel, even though she was frightened on the inside at being caught with her guard down, refused to give this maniac the satisfaction. “Hmph, baka (idiot),” she said cockily. “Hm…” he mused, “Boring and smart or interesting and foolish, which do you like best?” “Nothing’s worse than a boring fool,” she spat back, “like you.” “Fiesty,” he purred and chuckling, “I like that. Last chance for you to give me your name.” “Rot in hell.” “What a pity,” her attacker said, disappointed. Then as quickly as he came, B.T.’s world went black. The black clad demon stood over her unconscious body, grinning and chuckling like a madman. “That wasn’t much of a challenge,” he said. Bending down, he began to write in the dust a single word with his blade – ‘Sora.’   ****************   Meanwhile at Mac Anu, the Crimson Knights were having their daily meeting. “Ever since we ran into the priest known as Tsukasa, our spies have been working around the clock my lady,” one of the knights said, beginning his report. “And you believe that will be enough?” the cobalt haired angel asked, gazing out at the city as the gondola drifted slowly down the canal. “There is no other way to move between cities and fields except for the Chaos Gates,” said his partner, “The priest will most certainly have to use one if he wants to go anywhere.” “And as long as we knights are guarding the gates, his capture is imminent,” said the first. Lady Subaru hmmed. “Any news of Silver Knight?” she asked, having heard of the attack on her second in command. “No, I’m sorry, my lady,” he replied. “Why,” she pondered, “Why was he attacked like that?” “I should have gone with him,” regretted the first knight. “You need not regret what is in the past,” she said, “What matters now is that we learn the truth of all this.”           &n bsp; “Yes, my lady.” “Also do not go after him alone. The world does not require foolish heroics.” “Yes, but…” She turned to face him, startling him.   “Yes?” she asked. “The captain was… fond of you, my lady. I believe that, as a knight, he had developed a sort of rivalry with Lord Crim.” The small boat came to a stop at one of the city’s many docks and he moved to help their angel leader to shore. However, she placed a hand on his shoulder, stopping him. “I beg of you, my lady,” he pleaded, “Do not be angry with the captain.” “You are dismissed,” she said, turning away. “Crim…” she murmured, “Where are you now, I wonder?”   ****************   At Mac Anu’s Chaos Gate, several armored men were standing near by, all eyes turning every few moments to the glowing blue and gold orb as the sound of people warping in and out reached their ears. Two more appeared from the inner parts of the city – obviously coming to relieve some of them. “Any news?” one of them asked. “No sir,” said one of the knights closest to the gate. “Just the usual.” Suddenly golden rings appeared and a silver haired priest appeared. “It’s him!” shouted someone. Looking toward the shout, Tsukasa saw he was suddenly surrounded by Crimson Knights. “Don’t let him escape!” shouted another. Before they could even draw their swords, the gray robed cleric warped back out. “Damn!” said one of the relieving knights. “Well at least he’s in this territory,” another said. The Chaos Gate in each city was connected only to fields and various other areas surrounding it. If anyone wanted to reach an area in another territory, they would have to warp to the corresponding city. “We’ll get him once he tries to warp to another city,” said the first knight, “Mark my words.”   ******************   The silver haired priest sat under a dead tree in one of the Anu Territory wastelands. He dragged the end of his staff along the dry and cracked ground making a small rut and a scratching sound. “Where should I go?” he asked. “They’re guarding all the gates. The air in the dismal and cloudy sky rippled and the cat demon he’d seen yesterday had appeared. It smiled at him in greeting, then gave a curtsy. “Macha?” he asked. Nodding, the cat demon sat in front of him, hovering a few feet above his head.   ******************   While Tsukasa had been running from the Crimson Knights, Bear was at Dun Loireag having an interesting meeting with a beautiful blonde angel. “That’s one strange assassin,” he said, after listening to B.T.’s tale of being stalked then knocked unconscious. “I wasted a lot of time because of him,” she complained. “And to make it worse, he left his damned name for me to find.”  “Well, don’t forget it then,” he scolded, as they continued to observe the knights guarding the gate. “Let it be a reminder not to go off on your own, B.T. Or you could start a collection of names from strange men.” She glared at him. “Ok, maybe not. Just be more careful. So what’s his name?”           &n bsp; “Sora,” she replied, remembering the ideogram written in the dust next to her body. “At least I think that’s how you read it.” “Since there’s no real set of laws,” Bear said going into newbie teacher mode, “Every adventurer and mercenary is free to do as they please. There will always be those who abuse that freedom to act unscrupulously and for their own personal gains as well. It sounds like to me he’s trying to pick up as many girlfriends he can.” The blonde let out a sound of disgust and irritation. “Oh please.” Bear was about to give another friendly jibe, when the sound of someone warping into the town drew their attention as well as those of the guards. It was just another knight. “Do you think I should lodge a complaint with them?” she asked indicating the knights, talking amongst themselves. “To tell the truth, I don’t think that’ll solve anything. You weren’t killed and he didn’t take anything.” B.T. hmphed. The knights suddenly warped out of the town, leaving the Chaos Gate completely unguarded. “Hmm…” the taller mercenary mused, furrowing his brow. “What?” she queried, getting curious. “It’s who they’re looking for I’m more concerned about right now.”   *************   Back at the wasteland, Macha looked at her charge, puzzled at his sullen demeanor. <<What’s the matter, Tsukasa-sama?>> she asked. He startled a bit, unused to hearing someone’s voice in his head, but soon came to accept it as the cat’s only way of speaking since her mouth never moved. “I used to come to the kingdoms and Lios to escape everything back home,” he replied, “But now, I’m running again and I can’t get away from them all. It’s annoying. I just want to be left alone and not have anyone bother me. I just wish they’d see that!” <<Don’t worry,>> the little cat demon said, smiling cutely, <<I know just the spot. It’s a really nice place where no one can get to. Not even with a Chaos Gate.>> “I-Is that true?!” he asked, stunned. Macha nodded empathically, clasping her hands together. <<Will you let me show you how to get there?>> “Such a place exists?!” The purple and gray cat nodded again.   **************   After had been giving the required keywords by Macha, Tsukasa was now nearing his destination, which was the bottom level of a castle like dungeon. Unbeknownst to him however, a certain green haired and black clad demon had been trailing him as soon as he’d entered the area.             “I’ll let him get the treasure,” the rogue twin blade murmured as he watched his prey pass by, “then I’ll get him and the treasure.” He let out a tiny giggle, eager for blood, before silently following the silver haired cleric. Tsukasa had finally reached the Gott statue chamber. Sora, the black clad demon, peered in after him, waiting in eager anticipation for him to open the chest set at the statue’s feet. However, the demon priest ignored the treasure and walked over to one of the walls instead. “Is this it?” he asked, recalling the cat demon’s instructions. He steeled himself, closing his amethyst eyes and placed one semi gloved hand on the wall. The area around his hand glowed white and suddenly he felt it being sucked into the wall. Gasping he opened his eyes. He continued to walk forward as the wall rippled slightly, allowing the priest to pass through. Intrigued and not one to let his prey escape so easily, Sora leapt into the chamber just as the last of Tsukasa’s form vanished into the wall. “He’s gone,” the green haired demon said in awe.   ***************   The young cleric found himself in a rainbow colored field with trees scattered about at various places. A multicolored aurora borealis in the sky was what was causing the rainbow effect on the grass and trees. As he walked gazing in awe and wonder at his new surroundings, he gasped as he came to a clearing. Floating above a bed was a pale skinned and pale haired angel child, fast asleep. Her long hair and dress fluttering in the gentle breeze, while her wings of purest white remained still. “Who are you?” he asked, curious at this strange sight. No answer came since the petite angel slept on.   *****************         &nb sp;     “I don’t believe it!” shouted the tan girl, “The Crimson Knights let that priest get away?!” “Not exactly,” her taller male companion replied, “It’s complicated.” “Complicated?” the blonde angel standing next to him asked. “I learned very little from them,” Bear went on to explain, “They said that he warped into Mac Anu where the gate there is now under constant watch. But he hasn’t come back. So logic dictates that he’s still somewhere in the Anu Territory.” “But still,” B.T. added, “He could have warped to any of the other cities, like Breg Epona or Lia Fail, the gate there still functions, though no too many remember that.” “That’s why it’s complicated. I’m also concerned about that.” “Oh and that is?” B.T. prodded. “Do you mean his memory loss?” Mimiru asked. “You really don’t think there’s a monster able to wipe someone’s memory do you?” “Such a thing doesn’t exist. The great library of Lios has books listing every single monster, known or otherwise and not a single one has such a power.” “Hmm…” Bear said, his brow still furrowed in thought. “That still bothers you doesn’t it?” the angel asked. “I’m worried that this boy, Tsukasa, might be the one who’s doing this to himself. What if he saw something or had something happen to him that was so bad, so horrifying that he just wanted to forget it completely.” “So that’s his name,” piped Mimiru. “I hope he’s ok.”   ********************   Meanwhile, said demon priest was still admiring the strange field he had found himself in. “Why do I feel so strange?” he said, unable to stop smiling, happy to have found peace and quiet at last. {Tsukasa,} called a woman’s voice. He frowned slightly, recognizing the woman he heard the other day, {Can you hear me, my child?} “Who are you?” he asked, looking around only to find no one but him and the slumbering angel. {A friend, dear one,} she replied, {as long as we are together, I will always protect you.} “But why me?” he asked, stunned that anyone would want to protect him, let alone speak so kindly to him.  “What is it I’m supposed to do?” {I’d like for you to find that girl, Mimiru,} the woman replied. “But how can I?” he asked, “All the gates are guarded by the Crimson Knights.”            ;  {Have no fear, Tsukasa, for you have your guardian now.} “My guardian…” he murmured, remembering the strange dumbbell shaped monster that attacked the crimson knight who threatened him the other day. {I shall give you yet another gift, my child,} the mysterious woman said, interrupting his thoughts. {Use it well.}   **************   At Mac Anu, Bear watched another meeting of the Crimson Knights come to a close, his eyes narrowed in thought of a silver haired boy priest. He quickly looked away as the leader of the knights, Subaru glanced up at the bridge he was standing on. He didn’t want to be accused of eavesdropping. “Hey!” he heard, turning, he saw a scantily clad girl with bronze skin and yellow tattoos walking over to him. “Still soloing I see,” he said in greeting. “I don’t know about you, but I noticed that the knights had another meeting. I couldn’t help being a bit curious.” “So any juicy gossip?” she asked, mischievously. “Nothing we don’t already know. How about you? Hear anything interesting?” “You bet I did,” she said, grinning like a Cheshire cat. “Rumor has it, Tsukasa’s been around asking about me.” “He has?” Bear queried, completely floored. “Yeah. According to the guy I spoke to, he left a message saying that he wants to meet me at a field in Loireag Territory somewhere. “So he did move to another territory.” “So, why do you come with? It’ll be fun.”   *******************   Meanwhile at Dun Loireag, the Crimson Knights had returned to their duty of guarding the Chaos Gate. They startled when a black clad demon landed in front of them suddenly. “What do you want demon?” one of them asked, not bothering to disguise his disgust. “I hear you’ve been looking for a priest.” The knights’ hands strayed to the hilts of their swords, “Tsukasa was it? Was it a depressed looking kid with silver hair?” “Get to the point!” commanded the squad leader impatiently.           &n bsp; “Not if you’re willing to give something in return,” the demon said, wagging his finger.             “What is it you want?” “I think a fair trade of information should do, don’t you?” “Very well,” the knight replied, “It is a boy with silver hair we’ve been looking for.” “Oh good,” Sora said gleefully, “Thanks for the info!” he said, leaping away before any of them could blink. “That was one strange demon,” the knight’s chubby partner said, bewildered at the odd behavior.   **********************       &nbs p;       Said demon was now back at the dungeon where Tsukasa had disappeared, running one of his twin blades against the wall he last saw his silver haired prey gazing at. “So that was the infamous Tsukasa,” he purred with mad glee. “I’ve got to make him my ally!”   ******************   Meanwhile Tsukasa was talking to Mimiru and Bear under a giant tree. None of them seemed to mind the rain pouring down around them. “Why’d you have to bring him?” he said, obviously annoyed. “Hey!” Mimiru shot back, “You never said to come alone.” “I can leave if you want,” Bear said, playing peacemaker. “You’re staying,” the scantily clad girl ordered, causing the demon priest to scowl at them. “So have you heard the latest news?” she asked. “No,” he spat, “None of it matters to me. It’s just nonsense.” Bear just smiled, continuing their little game. “By the looks of your robes, I’d say you’re in the service of the demon goddess, Morganna.” Tsukasa smiled back, recognizing what the two were up to. “And what if I am? There are many demons running around the kingdoms and Lios.” “Just wandering what you’re doing so far from home just all,” he replied, “There aren’t too many of your order adventuring by themselves.” “It’s none of your concern,” he replied curtly. “Even so,” Bear pressed on, “I’m also curious as to how you can travel without having to use a Chaos Gate. If you had, we’d be having this conversion with iron bars between us. The Crimson Knights haven’t stopped watching the gates.” “I have the power to do so because it was a gift.” “Oh?” The silver haired demon remained silent. “So is that what you used to defeat the Silver Knight?” Mimiru asked, genuinely curious. “That was a different power,” he said, proudly. “What do you mean different? How?” she asked. “When they found him, he couldn’t remember a thing!” “What?!” the boy demanded. “It’s because of that they’re determined to find you. That’s what’s all the news is about,” Bear explained, “They’ve been asking every person they come across demanding information on your whereabouts. They’re never going to leave you alone until they have you.” “What are you going to do?” Mimiru asked, concerned for his safety. “Not a thing,” the demon priest replied, cockily. “Why not?!” she demanded. “Why even bother. I can’t do a thing about it.” He turned and started to leave. “Forget it,” he called over his shoulder. “I shouldn’t have asked you to come.” “Running again?” jeered Mimiru. “Well, it really doesn’t matter since the Crimson Knights will catch you soon.” “You’re right it doesn’t matter,” he shot back. “Besides there’s always my guardian.”          &nbs p;  “I get it now,” the female merc mused, “That’s how you defeated the Silver Knight. You of all people should be sorry!” she yelled, causing the priest to cringe slightly, “You say you have amnesia, but to go and cause that to another person?! It just isn’t right!” “So what do you expect me to do about it?!” he yelled back.  “Don’t run away again!” she demanded as he started running into the nearby dungeon. Mimiru ran after him only to be slammed back by an invisible force. There was a strange warbling sound, and the dumbbell monster had reappeared. “Run Mimiru!” called Bear, “Get away from him!”           &nb sp; “Is that?” she wondered, staring at the gold creature             Bear scowled at it, “If that’s your guardian, then I’m not impressed.”          &nb sp;  The guardian started lashing tentacles at the girl, making her dodge them constantly. “Don’t hurt her, not her,” Tsukasa quietly pleaded. “Tell that thing to stop!” commanded Bear, “We’re not enemies! Can’t you see that?!” “I know that!” spat Tsukasa. However, the guardian wasn’t listening and it continued to attack them. Bear let out an enraged roar and leapt at the monster, his sword at the ready. A single tentacle was headed straight for him. Mimiru could only stand and stare in utter fear as the two combatants rushed headlong toward each other. “STTTTTTTTTOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!” screamed Tsukasa, not wanting to see anyone get harmed.   ~TBC!!!~     Sakura: Oooooooooo, a cliffy!!!   Sora: Having fun aren’t we?   Sakura: You bet I am! I’ve been meaning to watch that show again for a while and now I have an excuse to do so. ^_^   En-sama: Just try not to forget about us, Sakura-san.   Sakura: How can I? I see you almost every day when I’m playing the games. Besides, you’re just toooooooooooo loveable to forget. ^_^   En-sama: You’re too kind.   Sakura: Just telling the truth, love. Anyway, if the writing style is confusing to any of you, it’s because I’m using the dvd’s and I’m following the episodes. That’s why there’s so many scene changes and such.