Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction ❯ As Time Flies ❯ As Time Flies ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer:
Ah! Megami-sama belongs to Kosuke Fujishima and all the other companies that own copyrights to the manga/anime. None of this, except this fic, belongs to me.


Introduction:

In a two-issue story arc in the Ah! Megami-sama manga (called the "Childhood's End" story arc by Dark Horse Comics), Skuld first met Kawanishi Sentaro when she had been fuming over the fact that Belldandy had not assisted her with magic when she was trying to learn how to ride a bike. Meeting Sentaro, a stunt cyclist and bike racer, not only changed her opinion about how much she hated bikes, but also changed her as a whole, having made her realize the value of self-achievement and sacrifice. In a sense, Skuld became more patient and mature because of him, developing her powers of levitation as a result (before this happened, Skuld could only transport through water and paint words of any color on any surface).

Sentaro, in the meantime, developed a friend in Skuld, and even perhaps a crush on the young goddess. Ever since they met, he found reasons to visit her every day at the temple. Unlike Keiichi, however, Sentaro is not aware of Skuld's godly nature and thinks of her and her sisters as foreigners, naturally deducing that Skuld studies in an international school.

In another, one-part issue, Skuld and Sentaro's relationship budded into young love through the help of Skuld's angel, Noble Scarlet. The angel, who came out for the first time when Skuld accidentally swallowed Urd's angel egg, knew that her master had a crush on the young mortal. Though her first attempt in interfering with their relationship could be considered a failure (Noble Scarlet secretly pushed Skuld, making her accidentally kiss Sentaro, who then ran away in shock), it was the stepping-stone that Skuld and Sentaro needed to realize that they meant a lot to each other. Skuld then served as Sentaro's inspiration to win the race he was competing in later on.

So far, there are no other stories that contain the young boy who changed Skuld for the better. This story attempts to view one of the possibilities that could happen between the young couple . . .


As Time Flies . . .


"Skuld!"

The young goddess turned upon hearing her name being called, her long black hair fluttering with the wind as she gracefully moved, her mouth formed a small, simple smile. Her eyes twinkled, reflecting a certain maturity that was beyond her years. She watched as a young teenager made his way towards her, strong leg muscles pushing against pedals that gave way to his force, a gung-ho grin spread widely across his face as he approached the beautiful girl who had become his friend.

Letting his bike glide without his assistance, his nimble fingers squeezed the brakes, and he leaped off the bike just before it came to stop. Walking alongside it for a while, he paused, kicking the short metal stand to let the bike stand on its own, and came to stand beside his friend, who was waiting for him to join her.

Hands in the pocket of his shorts, he turned his smiling face towards her, eager to discover how fast he had been able to cover the bike route that they had set earlier. "Well? How fast was I?" he asked.

The girl flushed as she realized that she had forgotten to pause the stopwatch that she held within her hand. "I'm sorry. I must have been too preoccupied."

He tilted his head slightly. "Is something wrong?"

She shook her head. "No, no. I was just . . . reminiscing."

They quietly sat together on the soft grass, the fibers scrapping gently against the skin left uncovered by their clothes. A respectful silence surrounded them.

"Skuld?"

"Hmm?"

He looked deep into her warm eyes, his face slightly flushed as he voiced his worries with concern. "Is it possible that one day . . . you will return to your country?"

She found herself smiling, finding his face cute as he stared at her, his expression a mixture of shyness and insecurity. "Yes," she answered, looking up at the sky. "But I will always come back. For this place . . . has become home."

Her friend smiled brightly, his relief evident. "Then . . . you and I . . . we . . . we will always be friends?"

She caught the deeper meaning of his words, and for a moment her heart was caught in her throat, her feelings wildly fluctuating inside her. "Yes."

He looked away, yet she caught the glint of happiness in his eyes. "I know I may sound selfish but . . . your words . . . fill me with great joy."

The goddess allowed her hand to graze the grass, feeling their soft fibers swipe against the palm of her sensitive hand. "If ever I couldn't . . . and you moved on . . . would you remember me?"

"Yes," he answered promptly, staring at her intensely, his answer completely sincere.

Gathering a small amount of courage, she gently cupped his face with her hands and laid a gentle kiss on his cheek. Caught in delighted surprise, he surrendered to the moment, the soothing sound of the ever graceful, moving water that was her element calming his spirit.

She withdrew, and she smiled. "Thank you."

He watched as she stood up, the sun's rays descending upon her head like a glorious halo, so that he could imagine her beautiful wings at her petite back, his mind becoming blank as the beautiful goddess looked upon him.

"Kawanishi-kun, your father is here."

Released from his short-lived bliss, he turned to see the familiar figure of his father waving at him from afar. He waved back, unaware of the nostalgic gaze on his friend's face.

"Time to go home . . ." she whispered softly as she looked at his father.

"Yeah . . ." He stood up, patting his shorts and picking up his bike. "Can I see you again tomorrow?"

She nodded wordlessly.

The boy approached his father, who ran his hands through his son's wild hair. "Your mother is waiting for you in the car. Go on ahead. I'll just talk to your friend for a moment," his father said gently.

She watched as the father approached her, a labeled plastic wrapper hanging on his arm. They stood face to face, girl and man, having a quiet conversation with their eyes that no one could hear.

"Thank you . . ." the father finally said, ". . . for watching over him. For being his inspiration."

The young girl smiled. "It's nothing."

"I know this isn't much to express all my gratitude, but . . ." He gave her the plastic wrapper labeled with her favorite ice cream shop. "I hope you will still accept it."

She shook her head. "I will *always* love ice cream."

The wind blew, relaying a silent message from her sibling, whispered into the young goddess's ear. "I have to get going now."

The father nodded slowly. "I'm happy . . . to be able to see you . . ." he whispered, his voice cracking with emotion. "I wish . . . I wish . . ."

"Shh." The goddess placed a finger upon his lips. "The time for wishes is over . . . decisions that have been made should not be regretted."

The man tightly held her small hands within his. "This will not be the end, will it?"

She shook her head. "No," she softly replied. "As long as there is a future."

"Someday . . ." The father slowly backed away, still longingly gazing at her. "Someday, I will be beside you once more."

"And I will be waiting."

"To take me . . . up there?"

A smile lingered on her face. "Perhaps. But that won't be for a long time."

The goddess of the future watched as the man departed, the smile still on her face, as a single tear made its way down her cheeks. "I almost forgot . . ." she whispered.

Her voice had been tiny, but he heard. He turned around, looking at her expectantly.

Skuld lifted the ice cream for him to see.

"Thank you . . . Sentaro-kun."

Tears that had been held back quickly sprang into his eyes, and he returned to her, leaning slightly as he gently kissed her forehead.

Time moves too slow for a goddess and too fast for a mortal. How ironic indeed, that time, the very essence that Skuld governed with her sisters, would separate her from the young boy to whom she had no obligations other than love. Yet time continues to fly by, and there would soon come a day, when a certain future finally meets the present, and they will be reunited, hopefully forever . . .