Ah My Goddess Fan Fiction ❯ Unspoken Lyrics ❯ Unspoken Lyrics ( One-Shot )

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: All characters here are property and copyright of Fujishima Kosuke. This is my tribute to his artistic genius.

Unspoken Lyrics by Dezz

"Breakfast is ready!" I called out.

Several moments later, the slow thump-thump of feet that were still half asleep could be heard plodding towards the kitchen. Skuld was the first to enter. Her hair was tied back in a long ponytail and she wore a long white nightshirt that depicted a character from one of her shoujo mangas.

"Hello, onee-sama," she greeted as cheerily as one can expect from an adolescent goddess this early in the morning.

Smiling back I replied, "Good morning, Skuld-chan." As Skuld plopped down at the table, Keiichi's voice called from the hallway, "Gosh, it sure smells great Bell."

"You really think so, Keiichi-san?" I asked as I felt blood start to rush to my cheeks.

"Of course, Bell! You make the best food on Earth. Probably even the best food in the heavens!"

"Stop Keiichi-san, no it's not." I know for certain by now my face was beet red as I gave Keiichi a warm smile at the compliment. The smile that he returned made something stir within me. A feeling of warmth enveloped me as I felt his hand slip into mine. For the moment, serving breakfast was momentarily forgotten as I felt Keiichi start to draw me into an embrace.

A loud cough from the table brought me crashing back to my senses. Startled, Keiichi and I both jumped away from each other.

"You might want to sit down, Kei," said an obviously peeved Skuld.

Remembering the task at hand, I started to dish the rice out into bowls when Urd walked/stumbled in. She seemed more asleep than awake. Her hair was disheveled and her eyes were half closed as the slowly made her way to a chair. As she thumped heavily down on the seat, she immediately cradled her head in her arms and let out a low moan.

"Good morning, onee-sama. Are you feeling alright?" I asked her.

Grumbling slightly she replied, "Do I look alright, Bell? And how can you be so damn happy to be awake at the crack of dawn?"

"Oh, I love the morning. The weather is wonderful this time of year. There's nothing more beautiful than watching the sun rise while feeling the cool morning breeze. The birds also have built a nest in the cherry tree! They were singing such a lovely song while I was cooking breakfast."

Muttering something about lousy birds and lightning bolts, Urd slowly began to dig into the rice and fish I placed down in front of her. I sat down and watched everyone eat their breakfast with a small smile on my face. Keiichi seemed to especially like it judging by the amount of gusto he put into eating. My smile widened as I became happy knowing that he was pleased with the food. Breakfast quickly ended and I began to clear the table. I frowned slightly as Urd grabbed a bottle of sake out of the icebox and left the kitchen. The sound of a TV soon followed. Skuld quickly hopped up and careened down the hall, towards her room.

"I'm going to be working on a new upgrade for Banpei, onee-sama. Thanks for the breakfast," she called out before the sound of a door slamming was heard. I began the task of washing the dishes and started humming softly. As the song progressed, I started singing quietly to myself. It was a simple song, one that I learned when I was a goddess in training.

"That's beautiful, Bell-chan."

Startled, I immediately stopped singing and looked up at the table. Keiichi had never left after breakfast.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you like that. Keep singing though, it's such a beautiful song."

Smiling at him, I nodded slightly and closed my eyes. I started the song slow and began to let the song grow by adding certain elements to it. First, I let myself touch the spirit of the temple that we lived in. Though it was once weakened and on the brink of being cast away to the seven winds, I managed to coax it back to us. It now housed us within its walls. It is strong and determined. With the spirit of the temple, I added a powerful foundation to my song which added strength to my notes.

Next, I thought of the birds that had made a nest in the cherry tree. I felt the spark of a new life being brought into the world and called it forth. I sang for the celebration that its parents would have at the birth of their offspring. The notes became livelier to reflect the birth of life. They also were short and changed often to show the joy that the parents felt.

I added one final element to my song. This last factor was by far stronger than the other three and manifested itself by grounding the notes. It had the happiness that was similar to the one carried by life, but not as energized. It added warmth to what I sang; making whomever heard it lose all feelings of anger, hate, or jealousy. I thought of my love for Keiichi and added that feeling to my song. I lost myself in the euphoria of my own singing and let the the song flow from my heart. I felt the feeling surround me, drawing itself tight. I poured this into my voice, letting my song resonate through the temple.

The very last note of the song was also one of love. Not of my love for Keiichi, but of his love for me. I felt his dedication and total devotion to me. The note was undying; mirroring what could only be a love that was eternal. It was one that was from within the soul and transcended the body. The note started to decrease in volume and strength as I started to run out of breath. Even my voice reduced to a soft hum in the back of my throat, I was still able to feel the note and the feeling it conveyed all throughout my very being.

As my song finished, I heard a loud applause thunder through the kitchen. Breaking my gaze from Keiichi, I realized that Urd and Skuld had come in when they heard my singing. Not realizing that I had attracted an audience, I flushed slightly in embarrassment.

"That was great, onee-sama! I hope I can one day sing as well as you," said an excited Skuld grasped my damp hands. Her eyes shone with sheer admiration for me.

"You have a very beautiful voice, Skuld-chan. I'm sure that you will be able to sing very well. We can practice sometime if you would like," I smiled at my younger sister.

"Can we really onee-sama? I'd love to!" she said as she practically bounced down the hall to continue working in her room.

"You always know how to make her happy, Bell. Not a bad song," said Urd as she returned to the television.

"Thank you, onee-sama," I called back as she walked away.

I turned to the table. Keiichi beamed one of his heart-melting smiles at me which I did my best to return. He got up from his seat and made his way over to me.

"Bell…I want you to know something," he stuttered out while grasping one of my hands clumsily.

"Yes, Keiichi-san? What is it?"

"This is kind of hard for me to say. I'm not too…that is I'm not that great at saying stuff like this. I mean I don't want to get this out all wrong and then…I dunno," he said while darting his around the room.

"What is it, Keiichi-san?" I encouraged him while squeezing his hand for support.

His eyes finally settled on my feet as he struggled to form the words. He gulped once before finally bringing his eyes up to my face.

"Bell, I…I…" he stammered.

I felt as if I had been hit by one of Urd's patented lightning bolts as the realization of what he was going to say hit me. My heart began to beat faster as I awaited the impending admission of feelings.

"Kei, you can tell me anything," I said as I brought my face closer to his.

"I will always be here for you," my voice was barely a whisper.

Keiichi's nervousness was clearly etched onto his face by now. I saw his face start to blanch as he fought to overcome his fear.

"I…I…think I'll go outside. It's such a nice day that it would be a waste to spend it indoors like Skuld and Urd are doing," Keiichi finally said.

Laughing nervously, he quickly withdrew his hands from mine and put them behind his head. His smiling face was offset by the look in his eyes. I saw a slight sadness in them but it quickly vanished. He waved weakly to me before going outside.

"You don't have to tell me, Keiichi. I already know. I love you too." I quietly said to myself as I went back to the dishes.

Author's Notes: This took a lot longer than I thought. I meant this to be an account to what Belldandy does during "Tea Leaves" but it turned into more of a prequel. I might rewrite "Tea Leaves" in order to make the two fics flow better. If you want to find out what Keiichi does after he goes outside, I suggest reading "Tea Leaves". =) I'm also working on a longer O!MG epic. It's going to have some romance in it but that's not going to be the entire theme! OMG, I'm going to write a fic about O!MG that isn't all about romance! I'd like to thank my readers over on ff.net and mediaminer.org for their support and suggestions. I'd also like to thank the people over at SBA (Hey guys, it's me Xerlic =) for offering a great place to discuss O!MG. Till next time, ja ne. /D

1/10/02 - Made some slight changes to the Japanese regarding when the characters address each other. Changed the "onee-chan" that Skuld uses to address Belldandy to "onee-sama". In case you don't know, onee-sama is how one would address an older sister. Also changed Belldandy's addresses of Keiichi to "Keiichi-san". I left the last "Kei" alone in a pitiful attempt to convey a more heartfelt/personal moment. Many thanks to WelspertheCat for pointing these facts out to me. =)