Alice In Wonderland Fan Fiction ❯ Color and Shadow ❯ Mimi and Family Disputes ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"It is good to see you, my dear," Mirana said, kissing Alice's cheek in greeting.

"It's good to see you, too, your majesty," Alice said politely.

"Bah! You sound like Tarrant!" the queen laughed. "I expect you to be polite in public, but we are not amongst the court. You may call me Mirana, dear."

"I say she should call you Mimi," Hatter said deviously.

Alice blinked as Mirana frowned. "Hatter dear, don't make me break my vow."

"You can slap me, Mimi dear. I won't mind," the man teased.

Mirana laughed and shoved him playfully.

"You two really are close friends, aren't you?" Alice asked.

"Of course, Alice," Mirana said with a nod. "We've known each other since we were children."

"That's what Tarrant told me. He told me you've seen each other naked." She said it cautiously.

Mirana smiled. "Yes, dear. We have. But it doesn't mean the same for us as it does for you."

Alice hummed then frowned. "How many people come down here from the Upper World?"

"Not very many, to be honest. Why?"

"You both seemed to know what the Upper Worlders think of nakedness and sex and such."

Mirana glanced at the Hatter. "We are well versed in the Upper World's thinking. Please do not ask why. Not yet, at least."

Alice's frown deepened, but she nodded. "If you promise to tell me later."

Hatter nodded. "I promise, Alice. Later."

"If we keep this up, you'll have quite a bit to tell me," Alice said, smiling lightly.

"Indeed I will," Hatter laughed, though it was tinged with a hint of madness.

"Well, let us go and show you to the court. You have on such a lovely dress," Mirana said.

"Minus the codfish," Hatter said solemnly.

"Corsets are a pain, aren't they," Mirana said. "I rarely wear one."

"Mother made me," Alice snorted.

"Anyway, let's go. We can catch up more at a private dinner tonight," Mirana said with a nod.

They strode out and there was applause at Alice. She enjoyed a few conversations then her Hatter clapped his hands.

"I'd say this calls for music and dancing. At least a little bit! Maestro, if you please, just as we discussed now."

A jaunty tune started playing and the Hatter swept Alice up and began to dance wildly. Alice found herself struggling to keep up with him. He dipped her low and she hissed at him.

"Hatter, I don't know this dance!"

"Quite frankly, my dear," Hatter replied as he spun her gracefully. "I don't either. Besides, there's not really a right or wrong way to do it."

Alice laughed at the absurdity of it and it was much easier to dance after that. When the song ended, everybody clapped. Alice was panting and the Hatter's breathing was slightly uneven. They were pressed together tightly, their faces inches apart. Hatter's white cheeks flushed a delicate pink.

"You're very beautiful Alice," he murmured softly.

"You're quite dashing yourself," she whispered back.

They leaned in closer and just before their lips met, Alice was wrenched from his grip. He blinked. What had just happened? He looked over to see a rather boringly dressed man holding Alice's arm tightly. He frowned.

"What is the meaning of this?" he demanded.

The man ignored him. "Alice, did that horrible man hurt you?"

There was dead silence for a few brief seconds then raucous laughter exploded across the room.

"Did ya 'ear that 'atter?" Mallyumpkin gasped from the other side of the room. "Yer a 'orrible man!"

Hatter was looking carefully at the man. His grip on Alice had tightened considerably. She was tugging against him fiercely. She looked at Hatter, pain in her eyes. Hatter approached slowly.

"You have five seconds to let her go before I break your hand," he said coldly.

"You have the audacity after forcing yourself on her to demand that I—"

"Yes, laddy," Hatter growled, eyes flashing to yellow. "Now I suggest ye let her go."

He stared at him, and Alice could sense the growing tension. It had been more than five seconds, but Hatter's sense of timing was off. The madman got even closer to the offending one and grabbed his wrist. He put pressure on it and Alice was released with a gasp on the man's part. Alice backed up behind the Hatter.

"Alice, what are you doing?" the man asked.

"Shut up, John," she growled. "Leave me alone. I want absolutely nothing to do with you."

"You are my fiancée!"

"She ain't nuthin' ta ya, toll-toine," Hatter growled. Mirana tittered.

"Well she certainly ain't…I mean isn't yours!" John growled. "Forcing yourself on a poor defenseless lady like that."

Hatter snorted. "Ain't nuthin' poor or defenseless about fair Alice. Tha thu cho duaichnidh ri èarr àirde de a' coisich deas damh."

Mirana laughed outright at that. "That's enough, Hatter," she said lightly. "And as for you…John, our dear Hatter wasn't forcing himself on anybody. Alice was clearly acting upon her own will."

"I'd call you something, but there's a lady present."

Hatter roared and lunged at him swinging. One hard blow knocked him off his feet and he hit the floor looking decidedly dazed. Alice passed the Hatter and rammed her foot on his stomach.

"You will apologize to Mirana and the entire court of ladies!" she barked.

John looked terrified. "I'm sorry!" he gasped.

"That's better. Now keep your hands off of me! I'm not your fiancée. I will never be your fiancée. Do you understand?!"

"Alice!" said a female voice.

"Leave it alone, Mother!" she spat.

"There's the muchness I know," Hatter said fondly. "Where was that when she forced you to put that codfish on your head?"

"Back here in Underland," Alice muttered.

"Codfish…?" Alice's mother asked then her eyes widened. "Alice Kingsleigh! You told him about…and you better be wearing one!"

Hatter snickered and leaned over to Alice. "Don't worry, dear. I'll burn it when I get back home."

Alice laughed, the tension in her melting. "Please do, Hatter."

Margaret stepped forward. "You should not be saying anything about that, good sir."

"Propriety is different down here, sister of Alice," Hatter replied. "Upper Worlders worry about the silliest things."

Alice whispered softly to the Hatter, "They would die if they knew you helped me out of it and that you saw me in my undergarments."

Hatter laughed. Mirana tapped lightly on their shoulders and they parted.

"Please, introduce us to your family, Alice," she said.

Alice smiled. "This is my mother, Helen Kingsleigh. My sister Margaret, and her husband Lowell Manchester." She paused, but Mirana still looked expectant. "This man is John Hamilton. He thought he was engaged to me."

"Welcome to my kingdom," Mirana said, inclining her head. "This is Marmoreal. Your Alice is very famous here. She is our Champion, you know."

"Champion?" Helen asked, looking frightened.

"Yes. Our brave Alice slayed the Jabberwocky!" the Hatter said proudly.

"Alice is a lady, and ladies don't slay anything," Lowell said with a nod.

Alice rolled her eyes. "My dearest queen, may Tarrant and I make sure dinner is being prepared?"

"You may. We shall eat in my sitting room."

"We shall see you in a while, my queen," Tarrant said. "Then afterwards, mayhap a stroll in the garden?"

"Sounds delightful, Tarrant."