Alice In Wonderland Fan Fiction ❯ Color and Shadow ❯ Welcome Home ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Alice! We are leaving!"

"No, we're not!" Alice said. "You are!"

The Upper Worlders were adamantly arguing for leaving the strange land. Hatter watched it distastefully before walking over.

"I have a question for our fair champion."

Alice's family paused to hear what he had in mind. He took a deep breath and pulled out a hat. It was heart shaped and Alice's favorite shade of blue. She gasped in joy and took it, looking his over. When she looked up, Hatter was on one knee.

"Let's not fit in together, Alice. Marry me."

John and Lowell were speechless as the two women waited to hear what Alice's answer was. They didn't have to wait long.

"Of course, I'll marry you, Tarrant!" Alice laughed, embracing him. He stood, lifting her up to spin her around. She landed and they kissed. Suddenly her mother was yelling for an entirely different reason.

"How dare you, sir!"

Alice turned to frown at her mother, and Hatter snickered. "Remember, Alice dear, Upper Worlders worry about the strangest things."

"I couldn't agree more, Tarrant! Come, let's take a walk in the garden."

"Alone?" Margaret demanded.

"No. Thackery and Mally will come with us, won't you dears?"

"O' course, 'atter!" Mally said, coming over to smile at Alice.

"Ha! Dirt is pretty!" Thackery said, taking up a handful. He threw it violently at John, who brushed it off in a huff.

"Alice, wait," her mother said. "I would very much like to go home."

"Then go home. We'll come and get you for the wedding," Alice said with a sharp nod. "You're all invited.

"Just not the toll-toine right there," Hatter mumbled, glaring at John.

"You could have had everything, Alice," John said. "And you throw it away for a hatter."

"I wouldn't have it any other way. Get ready and we'll see you off after our walk," Alice said primly, then turned and walked away with her friends.

She stopped to cry after they were out of sight. Tarrant simply held her, kissing her head.

"It's alright, Alice dear. Think about the wedding. We can plan it any way you like."

"I love you, Tarrant. I really do. Now, kiss me."

"As my lady wishes," Hatter replied with a smile, leaning down to fulfill her request.

Mirana came by, and embraced Alice, too. Hatter tapped his fiancée on the shoulder.

"I have something very important to say to our champion." Everybody turned to him, and Alice couldn't help but laugh at his next words.

"Welcome home, Alice."