Angels Fan Fiction ❯ The Windowless House: An Unlikely Alternate Universe Crossover ❯ The Windowless House: An Unlikely Alternate Universe Crossover ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

All characters are the property of their respective owners, I'm not making any profit of this story, yadda yadda, the usual disclaimer stuff.


Prelude:

“Madness is to think of too many things in succession too fast, or of one thing too exclusively” -Voltaire.




The place was not as frightening as they had told him it would be, at least not at these hours of the day, early in the morning.

It was a cold and windy autumn day, and the chill of the breeze still was fresh on his skin as he stepped inside of the Reception Area, making sure to straighten his black tie a bit before being received by the blonde young woman who had talked to him three days before, in his final job interview.

She shook his right hand with enthusiasm. "Mister Ikari! It's so good to see you here so soon!" she smiled. "It's hard to find people with a sense of punctuality nowadays".

He had to smile a bit back. "Ah, good morning, Doctor Dosukoi. I couldn't do anything but try to come here on schedule as I promised. I know Doctor Napier is a very busy man...".

"Yes, he is" she nodded. "But never busy enough to refuse giving such a promsing young new employee like you half an hour of his time. Come with me, he's waiting for you in his office".

He followed the female doctor, barely a few years older than himself, down the corridors of the first Minimum Security Area leading to the Director's office. The first cell he saw was empty; as well as the second one.

In the third one they passed next to, there was a middle aged man, tall and lanky, with a slightly unkempt look on his long face, mumbling something to himself, standing on a corner of the cell. Apparently, he was unhappy about not having liquor or something, and he also seemed to mention a word or two about bugs, but Ikari could not listen to more before having to move away to keep up with Doctor Dosukoi's energetic pace.

Still, he would remember such a simple experience even a long time later. It was his first actual contact with one of the Asylum's inmates.

In the next cells, he saw nothing but generic looking men in gray inmate clothes, most of them young, with no one looking terribly special or frightening. Most of them seemed more boring than anything else. He had been working in other asylums before, so it really came as a non surprise to him, but still, a tiny bit of him had been expecting, in a way, something more, perhaps, of a place with such a reputation.

Smiling softly to himself, he shook his head slightly. What nonsense. He was a grown man now, and he already seen enough institutions to know better. This particular place's bad fame surely was nothing but a product of ignorant speculations running wild.

On the other hand, he had not seen enough of it to truly gain an exact impression of the place. He'd have to wait and see.

Doctor Dosukoi stopped in front of a door marked "Director" and knocked respectfully at it with a hand. "Doctor Napier? Mister Ikari is here".

"Good. Make him pass in" a male voice, calmed and even, came from inside.

Dosukoi smiled to him again, then stepped aside and opened the door for him. "Don't worry. He's a very good person. You should have no problems with him" she assured him in a whisper.

"Thank you" he nodded, then walked into the office. "Doctor Napier. Pleased to meet you" he bowed his head slightly to the man sitting behind the wide desk at the other side of the room. "I am...".

"I know" the man talked, smiling in a warm way as he stood up quietly. "Ikari Shinji. The pleasure is all mine. Allow me to introduce me. I am John Joseph Napier, humble Director of this institution". He paused, looking straight to Shinji's dark eyes with his green ones. "Welcome to Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane".
 
Shinji quietly sat down in front of the desk, and waited patiently while the Director looked through his resume again. "So, Mister Ikari..." he finally said, raising his gaze to meet his once more, and slightly pushing his reading glasses up in a way that reminded Shinji of his father, "Before you start working here, there is something I'd like to ask you. You are about to marry, am I right?".

"Well, we haven't set a marriage date yet, Doctor, but yes, I am engaged" he replied with a short nod.

"And you are planning to have a family with her in the future, I suppose..." the Director sighed as he slightly tapped on his desk with a pen's point, in a thoughtfully distracted fashion.

"Not in the too near future, but yes, my fiancee hopes to have children someday. Why do you ask?".

"Mister Ikari, you must understand that, despite our best efforts, this can be... a dangerous place at times" Dr. Napier admited, lowering his stare a bit. "We house several problematic individuals. Some of them have murderous tendences, and escapes are known to have happened, especially during my predecessor's administration" he was quick to add in his own defense. "Of course, chances still are you will have a safe stay here for as long as you stay working with us, but still... you have the right to know there are risks involved at working in Arkham".

"I understand perfectly, Doctor" the young man assured him. "This is not the first institution of this kind I have worked in, as you must know by now".

"Yes, but Arkham can be... different, at times" he calmly explained. "Believe, in my three years here, I have ran into problems I never had while working at any other institution".

"Such as, if I may ask...?".

"Our patients..." he sighed, and half-smiled, "Sometimes they are too smart for our good. Sometimes they are far too brutal as well. Granted, Mr. Bolton usually does a good job at controlling them, and I can hold nothing against him, but... sometimes, even their mere simplest actions have wrecked the patience and nerves of some of our workers. As they say out there, the Arkham inmate is a different race from the average psychiatric inmate... or at least, it seems that way at times!".

He then looked away at the young man's suddenly worried expression, and almost chuckled benevolently. "Forgive me if I've scared you, please. Many people says I am prone to exaggerating at times, like Doctor Dosukoi and Mr. Bolton. But I don't want anyone saying I didn't warn them beforehand; it has happened, believe me. Maybe you should check it by yourself?". He stood up once again, signaling for him to follow him back to the door.

Shinji nodded, and went after him, exiting the office together.

"I congratulate you on your future marriage" Napier said as he led the march to the Head of Security's nearby office. "Young people today very often doesn't value the virtues of marriage, but I can tell you, the best years of my life were those spent next to my wife".

It sounded like she had died, Shinji thought as he followed the older man to a door marked,
"Bolton, Lyle. Chief of Inner Security" in bold black letters.

"Mr. Bolton?" the Doctor knocked slightly at the door with his right knuckles. "Are you in there? Our new crewman has arrived, and I want you to aid me in a tour through the Asylum for him".
 
 
Next: Freaks of Nature!