Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Aang's Story ❯ An Airbender Is Born ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Avatar and probably never will.

An Airbender Is Born

Hikimae smiled at the child in her arms.

"You should be proud. He's a fine boy." Guita said to her daughter. "Now, if only you and your husband would come back to the Southern Nomads, travel with us again."

Hikimae shook her head.

"No, we like living at the Southern Air Temple. Our new son will have a bright future here, and Kunta will be able to train as a warrior, and I as an airbender." She looked down at her blue airbending tatoos, wondering if her son would also be a bender.

The door opened, revealing an older man wearing the orange and yellow habit of an airbender monk. His long, white beard could not conceal his warm smile and the unmistakable twinkle in his eyes.

"Gyatso! It was good of you to come." said Kunta, bowing low with genuine respect for the airbending master.

"Of course," replied the bending master, "Do you think I would miss meeting my newest student?"

"You don't know that he's an airbender for sure yet, Gyatso." Hikimae remarked.

"You're right. Let's have a look at the kid." Gyatso gently took the baby, looking into the infant's big, brown eyes. "Even as a baby, your son has that glint in his eyes - the glow of a bender."

"How can you tell?" whispered Hikimae, mystified.

"It's the same glow I saw in your eyes two years ago when you mmoved to the temple. I've seen it in all strong benders. And heck, I'm 72 years old! If I can't tell, who can?"

"Don't get cocky." Guita chimed in, looking at Gyatso sharply. "I'm old, too, and just as wise, if not wiser."

"You, old?" Gyatso winked at Guita. "You couldn't be a day passed 25!"

Guita simply rolled her eyes, a smile playing at her lips.

"So," said Gyatso, buisiness like once more, "In a week we can have your son's naming ceremony."

"His name!" Kunta opened his eyes wide. "We haven't decided on a name for our son yet!"

"Actually," said Hikimae shyly, "I was thinking we could name him - Ludfisk."

"Ludfisk?!?!" cried Kunta, "We can't name him that! Kids would laugh at him and write unkind things about him in his yearbook!"

"What's a yearbook?"

"Eh, something the author threw in." mumbled Kunta, "Anyway, what if we named him after my father? He was a great bender, and my greatest role model. He... he died in battle years ago."

"I had forgotten that. What was your father's name?" asked Hikimae.

"Aang."
___________________________________________________

Please review! I decided to make a bunch of short chapters instead of a few long ones. The second chapter should be up soon.