Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Aang's Story ❯ For Their Future ( Chapter 2 )

[ A - All Readers ]
For Their Future

15-month year old Aanga wobbled across the terrace. His gray eyes were wide with curiosity - curiosity for everything and everyone around him. A bubble of energy, the boy had learned to walk quickly; when he was only about 10 1/2 months old. And already he showed signs of learning to talk. Aang delighted in gushing sound out of his little mouth, constantly trying to tell his parents what he thought of the world.

His father, mother, and grandmother watched him play.

"He's grown so much since I last saw him." remarked Guita, smiling fondly at Aang. "In a few years he'll be ready to begin airbending training with the other young monks, right?"

"Yes. Guita, you've come a long way just for a social visit." Kunta pointed out. "Why did you really come?"

Guita looked troubled. "A group of Fire Nation soldiers have been following our caravan and making trouble. This has been happening to other caravans as well. Fighting has even begun in some areas."

Hikimae was startled. "But... how could this happen? Fire Lord Yasuo has always been a man of peace! He would never put up with this."

"Shinko is old." said Kunta sharply. "He isn't as watchful of those small groups of soldier bandits anymore."

"What about Avatar Rokku?" Hikimae wanted to know. "He hates war and fighting. He won't let it start."

Guita gaped at them. "Have you two been so secluded up here that you haven't heard the outside news? The Avatar is dead!"

Kunta and Hikimae gasped. "How long ago?" demanded Kunta.

"Not even a week before Aang was born."

"Mother," inquired Hikimae, "why didn't you tell us on your last visit?"

"I don't know... I guess I assumed you already knew." Guita replied. "Just like that time when you were 14 and you 'assumed I already knew' that you were going out with the Earth Nation kid with the mohawk!"

"Eh heh... moving right along," said Hikimae as Kunta raised an eyebrow, "Has the new Avatar been found?" Guita shook her head.

"We would know anyway." said Kunta thoughtfully. "An Air Avatar is next in the cycle. Come to think of it, I heard Washi, the head monk, saying that the "'toys should arrive soon.' Now I see what he meant. The toys are to find the new Avatar."

"But the new Avatar cannot solve our short-term problems with the Fire Nation soldiers." said Guita, almost longingly, Hikimae noted.

"What does that have to do with us?" asked Hikimae carefully.

"We need warriors to help us. Our tribe needs you two. Please, help us fight off the bandits."

Hikimae sighed and shook her head. "I'm sorry Mother, but we can't. We have Aang now, we're a family."

"Aren't there other warriots in the tribe?" added Kunta.

"None as strong as you," Guita pleaded, "we've been attacked for months now. Our warriors and benders are tired. You know I wouldn't come unless it was neccessary."

Kunta and Hikimae looed at each other uncertainly. There was a long silence.

"What about Aang?" asked Kunta finally. "He can't come with us."

"The other monks will look after him." said Guita. She turned her eyes towards Hikimae. "It's your people too. Fight for their sake. Fight for the futures of children like Aang." The two hesitated, then slowly nodded together.

"We'll go."

________________________________________________________


Hikimae tossed some provisions and her glider staff up onto Dallei, her flying bison. These animals lived a very long time; she had known Dallei practically all her life. Dalllei had recently become a proud mother to a little male bison who Hikimae christened "Aapa." She planned to give to Aang when the bison was big enough to ride (that shouldn't take too long) and when Aang was old enough to ride.

A small cry penetrated Hikimae's silent thought. Aang waddled towards his mother with outstretched arms.

"Oh honey," said Hikimae, scooping her son up, "Don't worry, we'll be back before you know it."

Kunta arrived, carrying a small sack. He reached down to kiss Aang on the head. Gyatso and Guita followed.

"Good-bye son." Kunta said softly. He turned to his wife. "We'd beter go."

Hikimae nodded regrettfully. After squeezing Aang one last time, she handed him off to Gyatso.

"Good luck," said Gyatso, his eyes full of concern. "And be careful."

"Thank you." came her whispered reply. Hikimae mounted Dallei with Kunta and Guita. "Yip-yip!" Dallei rose into the air.

"We'll be back in two or three weeks, a month at the most," Kunta called back to Gyatso as the flying bison carried them away from their home.
________________________________________________________


But a month passed, and they did not return. Eventually a letter came from a messenger of the Southern Nomads. Washi, the head monk, read it carefully. He then grimly handed it over to Gyatso. Gyatso read it, his eyes brimming with tears.

"Poor Aang." said Washi. "I'm sorry, Gyatso. I know you were close to them."

"I will take Aang to live with the other young Airbenders." came his reply. "We are his family now."

________________________________________________________


Flame away, cry tears of joy, throw things at the computer, but please review! Suggestions are welcome. -Lady Triton