Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Aang's Story ❯ Avatar Rising ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Here's chapter 3. I don't know how many more chapters there will be, but if you have any ideas for the plot let me know in a review. Enjoy!

***
Avatar Rising

Washi watched as clumsy little Zaeten waddled over to the toys, examining several before making his selections. The boy's parents stood nearby, waiting to see if he would choose the old Avatar's toys and be proclaimed the new Avatar. The Southern Air Temple had been the last temple to recieve the toys, and if the new Avatar wasn't found here it would be nearly impossible to find him.

Zaeten finally made his selections. After a single glance Washi sighed; another average airbender. His parents sighed as well, though their sigh betrayed their relief that their son was not the Avatar. Washi almost smiled to himself. Zaeten's parents were not stupid. They realized that the life the new Avatar would have been demanding. They were not sorry.

Washi looked up. It was little Aang, the orphan boy's turn. Washi didn't dare to hope as Aang walked among the toys, bouncing with excitment. The kid was only two, and already he seemed a bit over enthusiastic and energized, even for a boy his age. This one would not have the paitence to be Avatar.

Aang toyed with a few items, picking one up, then dropping it none too gently. Finally he made his first selection, a red ball with intricate golden designs. Next he picked up a large spinning top and dropped it with the ball. Washi held his breath as Aang made his final choice. The young airbender chose a brightly colored wooden turtle and added it to his collection of treasures.

Washi allowed himself a rare grin. "The Avatar has been found. Praise the spirits!"

A cheer went up in the crowd. The elder monks smiled kindly at the young airbender, knowing the challenges that lay ahead for him. Aang quietly played with his toys, oblivious to the cause of the commotion. For the moment, he could be a child.

***

"AANG is the new Avatar?!"

"You know that we have never been wrong about these kinds of things." Washi said lightly, but with conviction, "Now sit down, Gyatso. You should be happy for Aang, not distressed."

Gyatso slowly took his seat, recovering from his uncharacteristic burst as the other monks in the cirvle stared at him.

So Aang was the Avatar. If Aang was anywhere near as good of a bender as his mother, he would be an especially gifted bender already. The added title of Avatar would make him very different from the others. And as Gyatso knew very well, for children sometimes being different could be deadly.

Washi continued, "Now, we must discuss Aang's future. As you know, the Avatar is to informed of his status when he is 16. Until then he will train with the other airbenders his age."

Another elderly monk chimed in, "I think it would be wise for Aang to go on as many trips to other nations as possible so he can experiance traveling and get to know the other nations." The group murmered in agreement.

"We will need a mentor for the boy." Several monks stood to volunteer, including (what a shocker!) Gyatso. Gyatso tried to hide his anticipation under cool noncholance.

Washi eyed them carefully. "How about... Gyatso." (said monk smiled in relief.) "Gyatso, you will be Aang's mentor."


***

Speaking of Aang...

A three year old Aang was bouncing off the walls. Literally.

"YAHOOOOO!!!!"

He cartwheeled, tumbled, and ran down the ancient stone corridor, occasionally using crude gusts of air to propell himself forward. The two young men who was supposed to be watching him were in hot pursuit.

"Aang, get back here!" Cried one of the men. Aang's only response was a cackle of delight as he bounced even faster down the corridor. Eventually the young men were forced to stop and catch their breath.

"Why... won't he... listen to us?" panted one man.

"You know he only listens to Master Gyatso." replied the other. "and HE'S off on some trip to the Northern Air Temple."

"Figures that we got landed with the job of watching the little guy. I was wondering why he need TWO people to watch him. Now I know!"

"How much sugar did we feed him?" exclaimed his partner.

"I think a more appropriate question would be WHY DID WE FEED HIM SUGAR?"

"Because he started to cry when we said he couldn't have any."

"Right."

The poor men started off again, trying in vain to catch the hyper toddler.

"I'm sure he'll calm down when he's older." said one man, though not sounding thourouly convinced. "After all, he is the Avatar..."

***

Darn it! Another short one after what? 3 months? I'm trying to make them longer. And failing miserably...

Thank you Artemis-Delilah-Avari for asking me to keep writing this story!