Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Ainoko ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

This fic officially has a new name. I never really liked Fire Water, so I changed it. Ainoko means crossbreed in Japanese, at least that's what my sources tell me. It works for the fic, don't you think?
A quick disclaimer: Anything alluding to the spirit world has been reconstructed from memory. Since my memory sucks, it sucks. Please forgive me. I also want to apologize if Roku acts a bit weird. Complaints? Review.
Chapter Warning: Plots evil or no, someone takes a trip, flying bison, and the death of a loved one.
Ainoko
Chapter Three
Kyoui had a few hours before lunch. She'd been herded from her Avatar duties a bit early, and she was without chores. So she took to wandering the corridors.
She was in an old part of the palace. It was unnaturally dark and dusty, and she had the distinct feeling she shouldn't be there.
It was no matter. If anyone saw her she could tell them she was lost.
Most of the rooms looked unused. Dusty relics hung on the walls, doors creaked as she opened them to peer inside, and most of the objects seemed to be before the start of the war.
There's nothing here. I should go back.
But something made her pause.
One of the doors had the symbol of the Fire Nation carved into it. There was a giant lock, but it was covered in dust, and se felt it would break if she touched it.
It did.
I shouldn't go in.
She did.
The room was filled with symbols of the Fire Nation. A table with five red candles, all melted, sat in the corner. It was fairly normal. A chest sat against the wall, and everything looked neat and orderly. It was like nothing had been touched in ages.
Except for one thing.
A mask was resting on the bed, looking as if it had been carelessly thrown there. It was not cracked or molded like the other things in the room; she picked it up and looked at it.
It was a blue mask with devilish features. There was something about it… She quickly placed in her pouch. No one had come here in ages; it wouldn't be missed.
There was something about the room. She touched the chest lightly and considered opening it. What was it about this room?
The exiled prince.
Of course. It must be Prince Zuko's room. That's why it was kept back here. That's why it was untouched.
I so should not be in here.
She fled before she could think on it.
◦◦◦
Kyoui felt that the mask in her pouch would jump out all the way to see Aang. It wasn't until the guard closed the door behind her that she felt safe. With a sigh of relief she turned to greet Aang. She shrieked.
The arrow on Aang's head and his eyes were glowing. He was staring off as if he were in a trance.
What is going on?
◦◦◦
It had been ages since Aang had visited the spirit world. As calming as it was, there was something disturbing about not meaning to be there.
All around him was black: black ground, black trees, everything seemed covered in soot.
“I have no idea what I'm doing here,” he said aloud, “Perfect.”
He settled himself on the ground. Perhaps there'd be something o help him here, though it didn't seem likely.
A dragon lifted itself off the ground. Aang brightened immediately, and as it floated away he followed, hoping it would bring him answers. It stopped suddenly, and he looked around.
“You are having trouble?” he heard Avatar Roku's voice and jumped. Before him was a giant oak tree. The cracks running through the bark formed the figure of the ancient Avatar. “Or are you just lost?”
“Lost,” Aang answered, “And confused.”
“I would've thought you'd escape by now.”
Aang frowned. Roku was normally there to help him, not goad him. “There are guards everywhere. I can't go a few feet without getting caught.”
“Perhaps. But now you have outside help.”
His heart sunk. “Kyoui.”
“She is… valuable.”
“I like her a lot,” he murmured.
“The question is do you like her because she is herself, or because she reminds you of Katara?”
Aang blinked and hung his head. “It's… confusing.” He had a suspicion it was because she was too much like Katara. He knew she wasn't, but at times he wished she was.
“You need to escape. The world cannot wait forever.”
“I… I don't want to just use her.”
“She will be of great help to you. If you escape, it would be wise to take her with you.”
“…I'll try.”
“Good. You should return. Someone is searching for you.”
Before he could say anything else, Aang was flung back into the mortal world.
◦◦◦
“Aang?” Kyoui shouted frantically, “Are you okay?”
Aang closed his eyes and let out a breath. The glowing stopped and when he opened his eyes again, they were their normal color.
She threw her arms around him. “Aang! What happened? I thought you were, I don't know, zombie-fied or something! Your eyes were all glowy and-”
He stopped her. “It's okay. That's kinda what happens when I visit the spirit world.”
A lot of good that did me.
“You sure? I mean you weren't moving, and you were glowing…”
“I'm fine. What'd you bring me?”
She gave him a relieved smile. “I snatched a few things from the kitchen, and, oh!” She pulled the mask from her pouch. “And I found this.”
Aang's eyes went wide. “The Blue Spirit,” he whispered.
“The what?”
“The Blue Spirit. Saved me once.”
“The mask?” She stared at it as if it might get up and do a jig.
“…The person wearing the mask.”
“Oh,” she set it down, “Who was wearing it?”
For some reason he felt compelled not to tell her. “…I don't know. But he saved me when I was captured.”
“You got captured?”
“Loads of times. I always got free though.”
“Except this time.”
Aang remembered Roku's words. With a shake of his head, he leaned forward.
“What?” she asked.
He shook his head again. It wasn't like he could just confide an escape attempt in her. She was still Fire Nation. Most people in the Fire Nation seemed brainwashed.
“You're thinking again, aren't you,” she warned.
He smiled at her. “Maybe.”
“What are you thinking about?”
He looked at her curious gaze and grinned. “Know where I can find a flying bison?”
><><><><><
“You are befriending the Avatar,” Azula said during their training session.
Kyoui was progressing faster that she could've hoped. There was still much to learn, but she learned it quickly.
“I might,” she answered carefully, “Is it a crime?”
“Perhaps not, but it is a dangerous alliance.”
“Will he hurt me?”
“No, but I do not take kindly to traitors.”
Or maybe your brother would be here today.
“I do not plan to run off with him. It's not as if he can be smuggled out anyway.”
“True. But even if you were to try and help him, he might try to use you. You would be left in the palace with guards pointing their swords at you.”
“I don't plan on helping him.”
Liar. Can they kill you for lying to the Fire Lord?
“Watch yourself,” Azula said, “One day I might decide I don't like you as much.”
Kyoui could feel that day growing closer.
◦◦◦
Kyoui entered the Avatar's prison, deep in thought. She handed him his food silently and set down the bucket of water.
“You okay?” Aang asked.
“Yep.”
Liar.
“You sure?”
“Yep.”
Aang did not believe her. She didn't care too much.
She picked up the bucket of water and stared into it.
Show me something.
What do you want to see?
She thought.
Katara. Show me the Katara Aang loves so much.
She saw only her reflection. Except… it wasn't quite her. Nothing obvious beside her eyes' reflection: blue eyes instead of her gold ones.
Show me my mother.
The reflection did not change. She frowned. This was all in her imagination anyway.
Show me my father.
A light appeared, reflecting in the water from behind her. She turned around. There was a lantern hung against the wall.
Show me something.
The flame flickered.
Show me my father.
The flame grew against the glass.
“What are you doing?”
Kyoui jumped. The flame died. She'd nearly forgotten Aang was there.
“Nothing,” she said, turning to him with a small smile, “Nothing.”
◦◦◦
“I need to find a flying bison,” Kyoui whispered to Tempri.
“I thought `that's just a stupid story they made up to make the Avatar more heroic,'” she scoffed, mocking Kyoui's first response to the bison rumor.
“Yeah, well, it's not. Where would I find one?”
“Fire Nation soldiers keep prizes of their victories. A flying bison would be a pretty big prize. Ever think of looking in the animal pens?”
Kyoui decided to ignore her smugness.
“Why are we looking for one?”
“They sound cool. I'd like to see one.”
Tempri nodded and stood. “So do I. Come on.”
They snuck past the guards and hurried through the pens. Most of the animals were strange oddities from other lands, displayed like trophies. They were small at first, but they grew as they continued on.
“How big do you think a flying bison is?” Tempri asked uncertainly.
“About the size of a bison.”
“Oh.” She paused. “How big's a bison?”
Kyoui sighed and ignored her.
“You don't think-”
She shushed her. “Do you hear that?”
They quieted. There was a low moan, like an animal in pain. Kyoui shuddered.
“Where do you think it's coming from?” Tempri asked.
It sounded again, a throaty howl just beyond them. Kyoui gave a silent nod and walked towards the noise; Tempri followed instantly. They peered around the corner to see a huge white mass of fur. Kyoui gasped as she saw the brown arrow across the creature's forehead.
“That's it,” she whispered.
They held their breath as two Fire Nation soldiers stepped forward, brandishing two long spears. They circled the creature dangerously.
“What are they…?”
The soldiers lifted their spears and plunged them deep into the creature. The animal cried out in pain. Tempri let out a small cry, and Kyoui felt tears fill her eyes as the dirty white fur of the animal stained red.
A third soldier stepped in front of them, and they jumped back.
“What are you doing here?” he asked fiercely.
They bowed their heads.
“W-we were lost,” Tempri said quickly, “We thought we could cut through the animal pens, but we were wrong. Is there a way out?”
The soldier cast them a reproachful glance, but he seemed to buy the story. He pointed to a nearby exit, and they quickly fled.
Author(ess) Notes:
I don't think that was Appa. I couldn't remember if all bison had an arrow on their head or just the Avatar's. I'm gonna assume all.
Next chapter: Crazy shit is happening, and someone gets a horrifying revelation. (Well, what's more horrifying is that someone tries to kill this person over it but… I've said too much.)