Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Ainoko ❯ Chapter Five ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I would've updated earlier, but I refuse to update this unless I'm at least a chapter ahead, and I was a chapter behind.
A few notes so no one kills me for this chapter:
Um… Right… Well… I bring back a very important character in this chapter… and I'm not quite sure how he came out. So…. Don't hurt me if you don't like… Please…? I tried to make him as in-character as possible, but we've kind of seen him with that playful side, so I'm sure you're willing to forgive. (I hope.)
Chapter Warning: Fire, dead people, badly portrayed characters, and someone's got issues
Ainoko
Chapter Five
Fire Nation ships would be on them in n time. They flew as fast as they could through the night and had to rest in the morning. Escaping tired you out, especially if it was successful.
They settled on an island. They could sleep for the day, eat something, and continue on. They had to get far if they wanted to escape.
They landed carefully, hiding the bison (which Aang had named Appa out of pure habit) carefully in the forestry. The island was rather large and held a good-sized wood area. Wandering through it, they found a cave and decided to rest in it, instantly regretting their decision.
The cave was rank, and Aang felt the need to vomit. He recognized the scent: a dead body. Whether it had been their long or not was undecided, but it didn't matter. It might mean more people lived on the island.
“You're going in there to check out a dead body?” Kyoui asked in disbelief, “You are such a boy.”
He only flashed her a grin and stepped inside, holding a cloth over his face. Kyoui sighed and stepped after him, following his example. They did not have to go far to see the body. It was propped against the wall, mostly skeleton with dried bits of meat hanging off the bones. Clothes clung to the lifeless corpse, familiar clothes, Aang thought. A pendant rested around its neck, a familiar one…
Aang reeled back.
It… it couldn't be. The necklace… the clothes… surely someone else would have had the exact same articles… No…
“Aang? What's-”
Something hit him in the back of the head, and Kyoui shrieked. Another clang, this time towards her, and she dropped, unconscious before she hit the ground. He himself had fallen and was loosing consciousness fast.
Darkness.
◦◦◦
Light.
Kyoui blinked and groaned. A fire was crackling before her. Something had knocked her out… Something had knocked Aang out and turned on her… Someone
They were not alone.
….
Silence.
She waited with baited breath. She could feel Aang beside her, squirming. Her hands were free; why as she tied up?
They were in a dark cave, barely lit by the soft glow of the fire. The silence grew longer, and Kyoui took that as the okay. Quickly she sat up and turned to Aang who as indeed tied up. She didn't have her sword with her anymore, but maybe…
Taking in a small breath, she stared at the fire. Slowly, she led a tiny ball of it towards her and let it burn away Aang's rope. He jumped up and yanked off his ankle ropes.
“We have to get out of here,” he whispered.
But in their way was a strange shadow, holding a weapon at them.
◦◦◦
He had not seen people in so long…
Of course the first people to appear were the Avatar and his new companion. They had wandered into her resting place, the one place he'd refused to enter on the whole damn island. Just his luck that they chose there to go first.
He'd gotten a good look at her. She'd looked so similar… As he'd taken them back, he'd realized it had to be her, and he wondered how to take this news.
He pointed his broadsword dangerously at them. He had no intention of harming them; he only wanted to make them stay. Sixteen years ago (was it sixteen? Days were hard to count) he'd rescued her from the Avatar's side, and sixteen years later here was her clone, right back were she'd started.
The Avatar stepped forward, taking in a deep breath, his cheeks bulging. He knew what was coming next; as the Avatar let out the breath in a full gale force wind, he duck-rolled closer to the fire, thrusting his hands out instinctively as a counterattack. Fire shot forward, and the Avatar dodged it, pulling the girl with him as he ducked out of the way.
This was not going quite as he planned. Then again, what had expected after knocking them out?
He pulled himself up, stretching out his palms in the sign for a truce. The Avatar simply twirled his hands, making a whirlwind. He was pushed back, slammed into the cave wall.
He felt the light shed over his face, and heard the horrified gasp as he was recognized.
This was not his day.
◦◦◦
Aang stared in horror at the person before him. It couldn't be… First the body and now this…
He was getting a headache.
The person stood up, raising his arms. The scarred left eye, the arrogant stance, the fact that he'd seemed able to predict his moves…
Zuko.
And that had most definitely been Katara's body in the cavern.
Rage overtook him and he jumped from conclusion to conclusion. He put it together any situation he could that ended with a dead Katara and a live Prince Zuko. His fists were shaking as Zuko stood straight.
Kyoui watched this with a mix of horror and interest. She knew three things: 1) This man had knocked them out; 2) he was a fire-bender; 3) Aang looked ready to rip his head off.
“…Aang…” she whispered, but he'd already sent forward another attack. But it was not wind he threw at the mysterious man, but fire.
Things seemed to go in slow motion until the stranger caught the ball of fire thrown at him and flung it back. Instinct seemed to take hold of the two as they danced around each other, firing attacks.
Kyoui was confused. One: the stranger had attacked them and tied Aang up. Two: he seemed to be attacking Aang defensively. Three: it wasn't like he tied her up…
Aang hurled himself at Zuko who caught him by the collar and pinned him down. He blew into the ground, causing him to rise back up and aimed a kick at the prince who dodged it, dropping to the ground and kicking out his other foot, which knocked him down.
This was getting out of hand.
Kyoui looked around. What could she do? She didn't want Aang hurt, but she didn't want to hurt the stranger (mostly to find out why he'd knocked them out.)
We are in a cave. Caves are usually damp. Why isn't this cave…?
She growled in frustration as a droplet of water hit her nose.
…Okay, so it is damp.
With a serious expression she raised her hands and dropped them. A thousand water droplets fell at once, and for one brief moment, it rained. Her plan worked as the men stopped fighting and looked at it. Though it did backfire in two ways: the fire sizzled out, leaving blackness beyond the outside, and now she was soaking wet.
She wasn't focusing on this though. She was standing over them threateningly.
“You two will stop fighting now!” she shouted like a mother at her children.
The two blinked, and, suddenly, the scarred one began laughing. They looked at him, bewildered.
“You…” he said between breaths, “Are definitely… her…”
Kyoui raised an eyebrow. “Definitely who?”
He stood, ignoring the glare from Aang. “Kyoui, isn't that what she called you?”
“How do you know my name?”
He bowed, a bit more playful than they'd expected. “I apologize for my rudeness. I never did learn to lighten up.”
She regarded him questionably. “I repeat: how do you know my name?”
“Stories, news, whatever I could scrounge. Passing trips stop here; you can learn a lot overhearing conversations. I knew she picked you up, but I never would've guessed she'd keep you this long. Then again, I assumed I was going to die. I've lasted fifteen years longer than expected.
Things were slowly starting to fit together in Kyoui's mind. Still there was the question of…
“Who are you?”
“I believe he can answer that.”
Aang stood, pushing past him and stepping beside her. “You're supposed to be dead.”
“Am I? I'm also supposed to not exist. My sister's doing on both accounts. Maybe I'm a ghost.”
Sister…?
Something clicked in Kyoui's mind and she leaned past Aang, interested. “Are you Prince Zuko?”
He laughed again, and Aang frowned. “No longer prince, I'm afraid. Then again I'm no longer a person, am I? I guess my ghost theory doesn't work since your attack hurt like hell.”
Aang glared. Kyoui's eyes went wide when she remembered…
I'm Zuko's daughter…
She glanced at Aang.
This cannot end well…
“The body,” Aang said bitterly, “Whose was it?”
Zuko paused, his expression dimming. He looked at Kyoui, a sadness in his eyes. “There's something in there that belongs to you. I haven't been able to touch her body, but now it shouldn't matter.”
“Who is it?” Aang repeated through gritted teeth.
Zuko turned to him, matching his glare. “I have a feeling you already know.”
Aang let out a growl and grabbed Zuko by his collar. A long time ago, Zuko had been a good foot taller, and a great deal stronger. Now they were equal height, and it didn't take much for Aang to lift him off the ground an inch.
“What did you do to her?”
Kyoui had lost track of the conversation. She grabbed Aang's shoulder and tried to get him to let Zuko down.
Zuko seemed undaunted by Aang's threatening voice. He glared down at him and answered, “Nothing.”
Aang dropped him. “You're lying.”
“Am not,” he crossed his arms, a smirk on his face. “I did nothing to hurt her. You assume I did because you hate me.”
“THEN WHY IS SHE DEAD?” Aang was panting now, shaking in fury.
“Sometimes it happens. She died giving life. It's the natural order of things.”
Aang blinked. Katara had been pregnant? Katara had given birth? Katara had fallen in love with someone else?
Unless she hadn't fallen in love…
He eyed Zuko with pure loathing. “What did you do to her?”
“Back with all this assuming. Let me repeat: I. Did. Nothing.” Zuko was angry now.
“Then I suppose she got pregnant on her own!”
His face hardened. “You assume that the only way for her to get pregnant by me is rape. You're hardly facing the facts, probably because you do not know them.”
Kyoui listened intently. She had a feeling they were talking about the dead woman they'd found, and she had a feeling that woman had been her mother. Yet, why did this anger Aang so? Unless… Had her mother been… Katara?
“Are you trying to tell me she loved you?” Aang asked incredulously.
“Maybe…”
“Maybe what?”
“She loved me, but not fully.”
This was breaking point for Aang. He let out a slur of words, none of which could be deciphered fully, but they gave off the impression of words one did not normally use in civilized conversation.
“Perhaps the little one should cover her ears,” Zuko smiled.
Aang calmed himself. “And she…” he took a breath, having wasted all his on cursing, “…She died during childbirth?”
Zuko's smile faded. “In the early part of the birthing process. Somewhere before the baby was actually born.”
His gaze rested on Kyoui.
“That means the child's dead, right?” Aang said.
“Aang…” Kyoui started, not breaking her gaze from the former prince's.
“That means there's not another you in the world.”
He relaxed a bit. Kyoui rested a hand on his shoulder.
“Aang…” she tried again.
“The child didn't die,” Zuko said, some finality to his words, “In fact, she seems alive and well to me.”
Aang blinked once, twice. “What does that…?” He turned to Kyoui, a look of shock dawning on his face. “You're…”
“Aang,” Kyoui said, “I'm his daughter, and I'm starting to think… The first thing you said to me was that I looked like Katara…”
“Did Azula tell you?” Zuko asked.
“Yeah, right before trying to kill me.”
“She does that. I suppose that's why you ran away.”
Kyoui nodded. Aang was still between disbelief and anger.
“You look tired. Get some rest. I'll bring back food.”
He brushed past them, leaving them alone.
◦◦◦
“Aang…”
Please stop staring at me.
The Avatar stared at her with a mix of horror and distaste.
“Please, Aang.”
I don't like that you're staring at me like that.
Silence passed between them. She sighed.
“I'm tired, Aang. I nearly got killed and had to save you. We flew all night. I'm going to sleep.”
He stared.
“Aang, I'm serious. If you keep staring at me, I'm going to poke your eyes out.”
Stare.
“You're acting like this is a big deal. It's not.”
That snapped him out of it. He turned from her, glaring at the floor.
“This is a huge deal.”
“Whatever, Aang. I'm going to sleep.”
She curled up on the blankets Zuko had left for them and closed her eyes.
This was a huge deal. Even if Aang refused to admit it, he had loved Katara. Perhaps love was a strong word, but it was definitely what he'd felt. Now he had to learn that she had been swept up by his enemy, and had his child, who just happened to be his latest love interest.
Ugh. He was getting a headache.
◦◦◦
Kyoui was still asleep when Zuko returned. Aang did not speak, only glared at the ground. Zuko did not seem to notice; he didn't even seem to notice them. He sat down and closed his eyes, and after a moment Aang wondered if he'd fallen asleep.
“I said she didn't love me fully,” he said suddenly, and Aang glanced between him and the floor.
He said nothing and repeated the word bastard over and over again in his head.
“She still loved you.”
Blink. Sigh.
“I still hate you.”
Zuko grinned. “How long have you been dwelling on that?”
“Two hours I think.”
Kyoui stirred and rolled over, her eyes half open. “What's for lunch?”
◦◦◦
Azula was furious. How had one simple girl eluded capture so easily? It didn't matter. They would soon catch her and…
Her eyes went wide. It couldn't be…
A grin. It seemed the girl's legacy would end in the same place her father's had.
Authoress Notes:
I have an unhealthy obsession with killing off main characters and bringing them back.
So, hopefully Zuko wasn't too out of character for you.
And did you see the last episode? ::Jumps up and down in joy::
The newest season of Avatar has inspired me to write more, so I'll try and update Broken. So far, not going so well.
But I'm getting into Danny Phantom fanfiction, so check that out if you feel the need.