Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Avatar: Doomsday ❯ The Breakout, Part 1 ( Chapter 3 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Standard Disclaimer: I don't own anything in this story aside from my own original characters and concepts. Avatar: The Last Airbender and all of its characters are property of Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. I own nothing and make nothing from this work.
Summary: Takes place shortly after The Boiling Rock, Part 2. Ever wonder what happened to Mai and Ty Lee during Sozin's Comet? Prison escapes, chimera monsters, freakish firebenders, secret takeovers, dragons, sibling rivalries, and evil spirits. It's all here.
Less than half a week and I'm already over 100 hits for the story! Thank you so much for reading this, guys! Now if I only had more reviews…oh well, beggars can't be choosers, right?
Enjoy!
+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
 
Chapter 3: The Breakout, Part 1
+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
 
The three were silent as were escorted back to the cell, spears pointed at their back the entire way. As soon as the doors were shut and bolted, Mai turned at Raijin with a fierce glare. “What was that?!”
Raijin ignored her, staring at the closed door in confusion before shrugging. “Hmm. Guess we must be at full capacity already.”
“I asked you a question.” She spoke again, her bored tone barely covering her anger.
Raijin sighed and shook his head. “This is why I told you guys about my bending before we went out there. This is why I tried to hide what I can do for so long. People have never seen anything like it, and because of that they fear it.”
Mai opened her mouth to say more but Ty Lee beat her to it. “Um, Rai?”
The prisoner sighed again. “What is it, Ty Lee?”
“Your back is still bleeding,”
Raijin blinked and rubbed his hand where the chimera's talons had cut him. Sure enough, his hand came back streaked with red. He swore under his breath and placed his hand over the bleeding wounds. Seconds later he let out a pained hiss and withdrew his hand.
Ty Lee stared at him. “What did you just do?”
“I used a small bit of my fire to numb up the cuts. It won't heal any faster but the swelling with go down and the blood flow should slow as well. It's about the closest I can come to stitches.” He said with a grimace.
“Here,” Ty Lee giggled as she walked behind the ragged man. “Let me help,”
Raijin heard a long tearing sound like cloth being ripped, and then felt a soft but not-quite-silk material wrap over the wound and the front of his chest before it was tied in a strong knot against his back.
Raijin blinked at his makeshift bandage. “Thanks,” he said to Ty Lee. “Just wish it wasn't, you know…pink.”
The acrobat just giggled.
Raijin shook his head at her and brushed the hair back out his eye as he turned back towards Mai. “Well, I'm sure you have more questions. Fire away,” he dropped to the ground and leaned back against the wall. Ty Lee mirrored him across the small cell. Mai remained standing between the two.
“Fine. How did you bend fire like that?” she asked.
Raijin snorted. “I already told you that, Mai. Because of my father's experiments I can't firebend normally. Instead, I can suck heat - especially fire - from my surroundings. As you probably noticed, it looks a lot like waterbending. That's partially because it is waterbending, in a sense. Just instead of maneuvering water like waterbenders do, I waterbend fire...if that makes any sense.”
Ty Lee stared at Raijin. “What?”
Raijin was silent for a moment before he spoke. “Okay, you know how waterbenders can control the water around them? Well, I'm kind of the same way; I can take fire that has already been created and take control of it. That's the main reason why I'm considered such a threat to the Fire Lord. He could shoot fire at me but I can just send it right back at him.”
“Ohhh, I get it!” Ty Lee flashed him a thumbs-up. Mai remained expressionless.
“Why is your fire black? I've never seen any other fire like it. Most firebenders have normal fire, Azula has blue fire. I even seen rare firebenders have green fire, but never black.”
Raijin frowned as he answered. “To be honest, I'm really not sure why it's black. My brother claims it's because Agni decided I wasn't worth the color but I think it's black because my fire lacks any heat.”
“What?” Mai asked, her confused stare overpowering her neutral voice.
“How can you have fire that has no heat?” Ty Lee asked as she pulled her knees to her chest. “That doesn't make any sense!”
Raijin's lone eye twinkled. “That's why I call it Zero Fire. It can burn people with no heat at all. It is actually so cold that it burns the skin, kinda like dry ice. If I shot it at a tree, the tree would be frozen solid instead of catching fire.”
“That's amazing,” Ty Lee whispered. Raijin heard her and frowned even deeper.
“Not to everyone, it isn't. That's where the name Cero came from.”
“Who is Cero?” Mai asked. “We kept hearing it being called out during the battle. I'm assuming that its-”
“Me? Yeah, I'm Cero.” Raijin shrugged nonchalantly, but his voice gave away his true feelings. “My father came up with that name where he threw me in here. In the old language, it means zero, nothing. In other words, he is calling me a nothing and saying that I deserve nothing. Not food, water, freedom, love…”
Ty Lee was silent. Mai rolled her eyes. “Oh please,” she moaned. “Get over it; everyone has problems: me, Ty Lee, Zuko, even Azula…sort of.”
To her surprise, Raijin chuckled. “Sorry about that. I'm still prone to a bout of teenage angst now and again.”
Mai said nothing but rather slumped against the wall next to Ty Lee. “We're not getting out of here, are we?”
“Unless someone comes to help us breakout, no, we're pretty much stuck here. The prison is under heavy lock-and-key. That's why I was surprised when all there of us were placed back into the same cell.”
Mai spoke, “Jeeze. How secure is this place?”
“Let's see…they are usually only ten prisoners here at any time, thus only ten cells were made. With both of you in here with me it means that the other cells are all still in use and that the prison is prime position for an escape.”
Ty Lee looked at him in confusion. “What do you mean? Why is now a good chance for escape?”
“Kurosaka is located in the ocean, at least fifty miles away from Ember Island and completely nonexistent on any map. The only was off the island is by boat, and while they do keep several boats on the island, each one requires twelve people to operate.”
“So even if all ten prisoners were to organize a breakout they wouldn't be able to use the boats.” Mai intoned.
Raijin nodded. “That's why having two extra prisoners is a huge liability.”
Ty Lee shoot to her feet, excited. “Then does this mean we're going to try and escape!”
Raijin inhaled excitedly, “No,” he barked.
Ty Lee looked at him in confusion. “We're not…”
Raijin shook his head. “No. Trust me when I say that we wouldn't stand a chance getting out of here. For every prisoner in here there are at least ten guards, both benders and non-benders. Meaning that even though you can fight at full strength, Ty Lee, both Mai and I can't. She has no senbon and I have no swords.”
Mai glanced over at him. “That's not exactly true…” The pale girl pulled two senbon from her hair buns, allowing the orbs of hair to fall loose with the rest of her hair.
Raijin and Ty Lee just blinked at her.
“What?” Mai asked. “Zuko was always so paranoid. This helped to calm him down a little.”
Raijin opened his mouth to say something, closed it, and opened it again. After a moment he huffed out, “Screw it, let's just get some sleep.”
“Well, I think it's sweet.” Ty Lee mumbled as she curled up on the cold floor.
“And I think Zuko has some serious issues. Now everyone go to sleep. We will get out of here…you just have to trust me when the time comes.”
And with those words the fatigue and stress of the battle slammed into the three and soon they had all fallen into a blissful unconsciousness.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The first thing that Mai felt when she awoke was the painful prick of a spear head nestled firmly into the mid-back. She stiffened but didn't have the energy or the nerve to truly protest. It is way too early to deal with this.
She was roughly forced up to her feet and lined up against the wall. Raijin and Ty Lee were already there; Raijin had a bored look on his face but a nervous curiosity stirred in his eyes and Ty Lee was glaring at anything that moved, a dark look upon her normally serene face.
Oh boy, Mai thought. Ty Lee didn't get enough sleep…this could be bad.
It was a well known fact - well, for Mai, Azula, and Zuko anyway - that you simply didn't mess the cheery acrobat when she hadn't gotten enough sleep. Zuko had learned the hard way and he still bore the faint scars from his encounter.
After Mai stood in line with Raijin and Ty Lee the door to their cell was pushed open and a man in great red robes swept in.
“How are my new favorite prisoners?” Baron Seipher asked haughtily to the trio.
Raijin's lone eye narrowed to a slit. “What are you doing here? We fought our fight yesterday. We won't have to be back in the Pit for another week.”
The Baron waggled a finger in front of the older prisoner's face and made a `tut-tut' sound. “Oh, but my dear Cero, there are three of you now. Therefore, you will be fighting again…today!”
Raijin grit his teeth for a moment before he grinned ferociously at the Baron. “Fine! We can handle whatever nightmare rejects my father can cook up!”
“I would certainly hope so,” Seipher cooed. “I would hate to see anything befall your friends here.” He tenderly ran a hand over Ty Lee's face. Mai bored expression quickly shifted to support a slight smirk.
With a snarl that would have sent a Saber-tooth Moose-Lion running, Ty Lee lashed out a vicious kick that smashed into Seipher's nose. She shoved off the wall, maneuvering around the spears aimed at her with ridiculous ease and began blocking chi points on guards right and left.
Within four seconds Ty Lee had broken the Baron's nose and managed to take out half of his honor guard. Then, as quickly as she had started she stopped and learned back against the wall breathing heavily and arms resting at her sides.
Raijin quickly kicked up one of the loose spears and aimed it at Seipher's throat. He gazed down at the Baron coldly, pointedly ignoring the spear aimed at his throat. “Leave now and we'll call it even.”
 
Seipher glanced around the room quickly with a hand still clutching at his bleeding nose. The trio of prisoners all had spears aimed to kill on them but the cold steel touched his Adam's apple prevented him from giving the command to kill. True, he could firebend but the silver eyed brat would either redirect the flame or simply lance him before he could create more than a puff of smoke.
So, to his great displeasure, Seipher gave the command to stand down. With a final threat about the day's appearance in the Pit, Baron Seipher and his men turned tail and left the cell, slamming the door in his wake.
Raijin let out a whoop of joy and lifted Ty Lee up in a great bear hug. Before he even got her off the ground he felt several sharp poking sensations before he dropped to the ground in a heap. Mai knelt down next to his head and shook her head. “You shouldn't ever bother Ty Lee when she hasn't had enough sleep.”
Raijin blinked and futility tried to shift his limp body. He sweatdropped and muttered, “I'll make sure to keep that in mind.”
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
A decent amount of time later - long enough for Raijin to get back control of his body and Ty Lee to snap back to her normal attitude and apologize profusely - the three sat on the cold stone floor of the cell and tried to plan an escape.
“I still don't know why we just didn't make a run for it after Ty Lee had taken everyone out.” She huffed.
Raijin rolled his eyes tiredly. Things could get so much more complicated having to deal with opinions other than his own. “I already went over this, Mai. Even if Ty Lee hadn't paralyzed me,” he absentmindedly waved off the younger girl's continued apologies. “There was no way we could have escaped. Even if we had taken the Baron prisoner, he has a lot of guards at his disposal, some of them being former Yu-Yan Archers. We have a skilled acrobat, two senbon, and a spear. Not exactly an intimidating force,”
Raijin shook his shaggy head. “There's no way to force your way out of here…you have to have something more.”
“Like what?” Ty Lee asked him.
“Help. We gonna need help…and probably a miracle.”
“Or two,” Mai muttered.
Raijin shrugged. “Couldn't hurt,”
Before anything else could be said the outer doors to their cell began to creak open. The three sighed in unison. “Back to the Pit we go,” mutter Raijin. “Same as yesterday, girls; just be nice and calm.”
Minutes later they found themselves in the Pit. Raijin's spear had obviously been taken by the guards but Mai had re-hidden her senbon back into her hair.
The Baron appeared from high above and glared down at them. There was no grand entrance this time nor were there any gaudy robes. There had been replaced with thicker, more battle ready Fire Nation robes. All his normal golden accessories had also been forgone, instead a long sword rested at his side in a shining sheath. Raijin eyed it with envy.
“Cero!” Seipher's voice boomed in the stadium over the silent crowd. “Today is the day I will witness your death! I have a very special surprise from High Monk Hanzo just for you. You see, he's apparently gotten a hold of some very special things recently and this creature, he claims, is no more than a building block for his future creations. However, it is far from useless. Behold!”
He waved his arms fanatically and the guards below opened the gateway opposite the trio. They immediately bolted past the trio and into the gateway where they had come from, slamming the door shut on their way.
“A being infused with the agility and poison of a Cobra-Rabbit, the raw strength of a Gorilla-Rhino, and the blood of a…” Seipher smiled wicked and Raijin felt a wave of unease come over him.
“Dragon!” Seipher screamed as the creature shot forth from its chambers with a horrific cry. It gazed down at them with hungry violet eyes.
Ty Lee stumbled backwards, Mai's jaw dropped, Raijin gulped loudly. Ty Lee mumbled as she stared at it, “I don't like this. Its aura is just…wrong.”
Raijin shook his head, still in shock. “Its aura is the last thing I worried about right now, Ty.”
“Ditto,” Mai said, fear creeping into her normally steady voice.
The monster stood close to twenty feet tall and was probably thirty feet long. Its long body was a mixture of snake and dragon, covered it hard and sharp scales all a poisonous green. It had no legs, instead slithering across the ground like a snake. The snake body took up about two thirds of the actual monster, the rest being the torso that sat upon the body. The torso was that of a very large crimson colored gorilla. It had two impossibly large arms that each ended in a scale covered meaty fist. Finally, its head was mutated so that it held snake's eyes on the gorilla's face.
“Your father called it the Amemnock. Have fun, Cero!”
The Amemnock let loose a demonic roar that shook the Pit's gravely floor. Raijin took a deep breath to calm himself and took a solid fighting stance. Ty Lee quickly followed as Mai pulled his hidden senbon from her hair and twirled them dangerously.
And then all hell broke loose.
+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -+ - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + - +
Explanations about...
Raijin's Wounds: I will admit that Raijin is a fast healer but there is a reason that most of his scars are very faint. It will be explained in later chapters.
Ty Lee's Bad Mood: Alright, the way I figure it Ty Lee cannot be happy and cheerful 24/7. So, I put in the bit about a lack of sleep making her grumpy. You all saw what it did to Aang's group in the series; they were at each other's throats! As for taking out the guards so easily…well, Ty Lee can take out a master bender in a happy cheerful mood without a whole lot of trouble. Now imagine her attacking when she was angry…yeah, it scares me too.
Thanks for reading and please review!