Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Book Three: Fire ❯ Chapter One ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hey there, I'm Jess, a twelve-year-old A:TLA addict. So, this is my first A:TLA fanfic, and I just thought I'd post it. Enjoy!
 
-Chapter One-
 
“I thought you had changed!” The water tribe peasant had yelled furiously.
 
“I have changed.” He replied cooly.
 
Prince Zuko of the Fire Nation awoke in his bed, shivering slightly. His stomach was grumbling. He hadn't eaten enough at dinner. He stood up and smoothed the bed coverings, then he dressed himself in simple clothes.
 
That water girl doesn't know anything. After all, she is on the avatar's side. He approached the royal dining room, his footsteps echoing in the stone hall. He looked down at the floor and noticed that it was rather wet. He stepped more carefully. As he got close to the door a girl dressed in the faded garb of a palace servant ran out, probably hearing his approach. Unfortunately for her, she had happened to run right into a particularly large puddle of water. She slipped, landing rather comically on her backside. She promptly stood up, rubbing her side and, upon seeing who he was, flushed slightly and said, “Your highness.” She bowed low, nearly falling over again. “I'm okay, I'm okay,” she said, more to herself than to him. “Could I get some kimono chicken and a cup of jasmine tea?” He asked, looking down the hall towards the kitchen.
 
“Of course, your highness. Please, make yourself comfortable,” the girl said, gesturing into the dining hall. “Only, be careful, there are puddles on the floor.”
 
“I noticed,” he said dryly.
 
“Right.” She walked cautiously down the short hall to the kitchens, nodding respectfully to him before doing so.
 
He entered the spacious red-and-black adorned dining room. All of the chairs had been placed upside-down on the table, and a large wooden bucket and rag were in the far corner. He looked up the wall, and noticed that the girl had lit only enough of the torches lining it to give the room enough light to see in. He quickly lit the rest of them and walked to the head of the table. He placed that chair on the floor and sat down. A few moments later the servant girl returned, now carrying a tray with the requested food and tea. She placed it in front of him and stood for a minute before asking him,
“Would you mind if I continued with the floor?” When he shook his head she sat next to the bucket and cloth and, dipping the latter into the former, she continued the chore, scrubbing the stones efficiently so as to take the least amount of time possible.
 
Zuko ate a few bites of the juicy chicken and then picked up the ornamental tea cup. He sipped for a moment and then thought how his uncle would criticize it's low temperature. He was once again filled with the angry, guilty chill that he experienced whenever his thoughts drifted to Iroh, which was to say, often. Not wishing to dwell on these feelings he once again turned his attention to the figure steadily working on her task.
 
“So, what's your name?” He asked, causing her to jump and spill some of her water on the already wet floor. Without thinking she dried it up with her skirt and replied, “It's Kesh, your highness.”
 
“Well Kesh, how long have you worked here?” She looked at her now wet skirt with slight distaste.
 
“Four years next week.” He thought about this for a moment before asking, “Then, how old are you?” “Thirteen next month, your highness.” That means that she has been working here since she was nine. Interesting.
 
“Do you like it here?” She seemed to debate over how to answer for a moment, finally replying,
 
“Whether I like it or not doesn't matter, your highness, `tis how I must make my living.” She almost said something else, but her thoughts were interrupted before she could.
 
“Have you any family?”
She ran a hand through her short, raven-colored hair before replying, “My parents both died in an epidemic that passed through our village a little over four years ago. The leaders of the village sent me to my only other relatives, my uncle's family who lived in the capital, they told me. I stayed with them for a week, then they said that they were tired of…” Her face was sorrowful now. “Well, they sent me to the palace to live and work. Then they left the city.”
 
“I'm sorry,” he said. It was the truth, he did feel bad for her.
 
“Thank you your highness. Pardon me for asking, but…” She looked nervous, but determined, “do you like it here?”
“Of course I do,” Zuko said automatically. Then reconsidering, he added softly, “At least, I think so.”
 
“You think so?” But before he could reply quick, sharp footfalls sounded in the hall.
 
“Are you done yet you lazy girl? By Agni, I swear…” Zuko looked at Kesh, her face was white and worried. A woman with a very domineering aura about her entered the room, her sharp features furious.
 
“You should have been finished an hour ago!” Her gaze then drifted to Zuko, and her expression snapped instantly into one of upmost respect. When she spoke, her voice was unrecognizably sugar-coated and sweet. “Your highness. You must forgive this servant for her ignorance. She must have forgotten that she was supposed to be working, and not addressing her superiors.”
 
“Oh, it's oka-” He began, but she cut smoothly across him.
 
“I will remove her immediately. Rest assured, your highness, she will be punished.” The woman grabbed Kesh's arm in what Zuko guessed must have been a vice-like grip, for the girl winced. She shot him an apologetic look before being half-dragged, half-pulled from the room.
 
As Zuko walked slowly back to his chambers once he had finished his meal, he thought about the servant he had met. She had treated him with all the respect required of her, but she hadn't seemed afraid of him, like most of the servants were. She was, for want of a better word, interesting. He would have to visit her again. But for now, he thought as he entered his bedchamber, what I really need is some sleep. And, laying down upon the red silk sheets, he fell into a deep, dreamless slumber.
 
************Okay, I know what you're thinking, This is just going to be another pointless story about a Mary-Sue OC. Well, It won't be. At least, not if I can help it. Kesh will not be the main character in this story, just a part of it. Sooo, Read, Review, and send me chocolate ; )!
Oh, and please, if I'm doing something wrong/you have an idea of how I can improve my writing, please tell me!
 
A/N: Sorry if this chapter is a little short, I just don't write very long chapters.