Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ In Your Dreams ❯ Chapter 1

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Slumbering Hearts
 
Sometimes she dreamed.
She dreamed she was home in the ice, and her parents were there, and she was still a little girl, and the sun didn't mean anything but daylight, and the war hadn't touched them and maybe it didn't even exist.
She dreamed the little boy named Aang was still lost in an iceberg, and she was home telling her brother that kids aren't warriors, and he wasn't much of one anyway, and she would probably never leave her home and know of fire and earth and air.
She dreamed of fire and smoke and it hurt her, and she felt like she was choking, and she wondered if being burned alive hurt worse than being drowned, and she saw the face of her enemy, but it wasn't him but someone else, and she choked and burned.
She dreamed that the fire wasn't so hot, and the smoke was a bit sweeter, and there was warmth all over her, and she was gasping for air as heat spread through her, but it didn't burn, yet she knew one day it might.
She dreamed of fire that began to burn everything around it, and she turned to water and rained over it, and the fire and the water mingled together, and the earth swallowed them whole.
Sometimes she dreamed.
----
Sometimes he dreamed.
He dreamed he was on a ship, and his world smelt of brine and salt, and he thought he might drown in the smell, and he wondered why there was no warmth, even though he breathed fire.
He dreamed he'd never opened his mouth, and the world kept turning, and he heard that men were left as nothing more than ash, and he was filled with guilt, and there was nothing left but fire.
He dreamed that the smoke and fire were hot in his palms, and the warmth he expected only hurt and his whole arm was in pain as it ate his arm away, and he was left to ash and dust.
He dreamed that he was burning, and there was nothing to save him until water began pouring over him, and he looked up, parched, and the water quenched him, filled his being, and he felt whole.
Sometimes he dreamed.
----
The room was dark with only a candle to light it. She rests her head across his chest to feel his warmth and his heartbeat. He smells like incense, and she smiles as he plays with her hair. The fire was warm and the water was cool and together they dreamed.
 
Notes:
I found it too rushed and not very well written, so: punctuation! Yay!