Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Moving Forward ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Inspired by the question: “Who would make the first move?”
 
Moving Forward
 
It was kind of amusing, when the days of training got kind of dull. While Aang and Toph trained together, Katara and Zuko trained each other, shoving attack after attack in a playful way that never actually hurt.
 
It was their usual dance.
 
They were squared off, hands in starting position. Katara had her fingers at the opening of her gourd, while Zuko's stood like stone at his side. A smirk flitted over his features, and she answered with one of her own. At that moment, it was a matter of who made the first move.
 
It was a blur. There was a flash of orange and a flash of blue. Steam met in the middle, but the two were already moving. Fire brimmed on his fingers, but his hands were turned to ice as she rushed forward, striking a blow over his midsection. He caught her in his arms, and the ice dripped down his arm as he held a hand in front of her neck. She ducked, kicking him harder than she'd meant to. He stumbled back, and she whipped up more water, striking him across the chest. His swiped it away, sticking his foot out to hook her ankle. She tripped and fell forward, landing in his arms. She recovered quickly, twisting herself in a way that twisted him as well. They lost their footing, landing in a panting heat on the ground.
 
Katara did not blush when he did not release her from his grip, instead flipping over to straddle him. His own face heated, and she smiled, leaning in until her nose touched his.
 
“I win,” she said.
 
To her absolute delight, he closed the space between them, pressing his lips to hers.
 
“No,” he said after he broke away, grinning in a way Katara was not used to seeing, but she liked it. “I do.”
 
Notes:
There you have it. It's a joint thing. They're too stubborn to let the other one make the first move. So, it'll probably end in a hot make out section in the middle of the forest.