Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Prophesied ❯ Hiketsu: The Key of One Thousand Winds ( Chapter 14 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 14: Hiketsu "The Key of One Thousand Winds"
The morning sun rose over the horizon, sending golden rays first across the oceans and then into the woods of the Earth Kingdom. The light speckled through the leaves and fell onto a sleeping bounty hunter and her rather dangerous pet.
Jun stirred softly, rolling onto her back. She wrinkled her brow against the growing sunlight and closed her eyes tightly in desperate move to remain asleep. Yet, it wouldn't be the sun that woke her this morning. Suddenly, she got the strong feeling that she was being watched.
Her eyes snapped open as her hand went to the dagger beneath her makeshift pillow, but she froze halfway there. Her own hazel eyes were staring into soft, inquisitive silver eyes that were approximately two inches away from her face. She blinked once, and the silver eyes blinked with her.
She then noticed that the silver eyes were framed by silver hair that was nearly white, short by most standards but still longish, which made his pale skin seem darker and soft features made up the face of a boy of about sixteen years that was now hovering over her. Only then did she feel the soft weight above her and reacted immediately, shoving him away from her with a loud cry.
He stumbled back away from her with a cry, surprise in his eyes. Only then did Jun get a good look at him. He was dressed in a loose white tunic and white pants that ended about six inches above his ankles and he was bare-footed. The sleeves of his tunic ended just below his elbows and she could see black characters inscribed on his wrists, the mimic of which encircled his ankles.
Jun drew her whip and cracked it once, determined to teach this boy a lesson about hovering too close to people like her. He didn't take a battle form, but he was tense, his silver eyes watching her every movement.
“I'll teach you a thing or two about getting too close to women.” Jun snarled.
She expected some sort of retort or for him to defend himself against her accusation, but he said nothing, just watched her. She gritted her teeth and snapped the whip at him. To her surprise, fear and shock entered his eyes and he whirled to the side with a cry.
When he turned back towards her, she growled and spun her whip about her. The whimper he released did nothing to stem her temper. The whip snaked forward and though he tried to dodge it wrapped around his arm and Jun threw him to the ground with a flick of the wrist. Smirking, she turned to her pet.
“Shirshu, why didn't you…” her words were cut short by the reproachful look in her only friend's eyes. A short cry caused her to jerk around once more.
The boy had gotten up onto his knees and was now cradling the arm she'd struck to his chest. But that wasn't what had drawn Jun's attention.
He was crying.
Jun was speechless as she stared open-mouthed at the boy. He had to be her age, and yet here he was sobbing like a small child.
`He has the body of a teenager, but perhaps not the mind…?' she thought. There could be no other explanation and suddenly her eyes softened. `He looks just like Saeta before they took him away.'
What made her decision for her Jun never understood, but the next thing she knew was that she had knelt in front of the crying boy and placed a hand on his shoulder.
“I'm sorry,”
The boy just sobbed harder, jerking his shoulder out of her hand. Jun bit her lip.
“Look here now, you frightened me. You shouldn't hover over people when they're sleeping. You see what happened? What if I had been a fire-bender?”
He looked up at her, his eyes watery. She raised a hand and wiped the tears from his cheeks.
“Everything's okay now?”
Suddenly, he lunged forward and wrapped his arms around her, a broad smile on his face.
“Obséfrim sci jre!”
She stared at him when he pulled away from her. Together they stood. Shirshu stood up, stretching and yawning. The boy ran over to Shirshu and stood directly in front of its nose. Jun gave a startled cry.
“Don't do that! He'll…”
But Shirshu did not attack the boy, merely sniffed him and shook himself. The boy ran and jumped onto the saddle on Shirshu's back.
“Haw Haw!” He shouted, kicking the sides of the beast as if spurring on a Komodo Rhino, causing Jun to laugh.
She climbed up behind him and took up the reins. He turned slightly and smiled at her, all traces of tears gone and the only reminder of their fight was the red mark across his arm, which was rapidly fading from body and mind.
“You want to travel with me don't you?”
He nodded, his smile never wavering.
“You aren't a fugitive by any chance? Because you know I'm a bounty hunter.”
He nodded his head.
“You have no idea what I'm saying do you?”
He mimicked her facial expression, which was a hard scowl. Jun sighed.
“Well then who are you?”
He held up his wrist so she could read the writing on them.
“Spirit of all, the White Dragon rises.”
Jun raised her head and stared at the boy. “You are the White Dragon?”
He laughed and nodded. Jun shrugged, the name meant nothing to her. Instead of turning the boy away, she clucked to Shirshu who started off at a run. She had plans and she doubted the boy would put a damper on them.
“I'll call you…Rou okay?”
He nodded again, laughing as Shirshu ran through the woods. Jun wondered what she had gotten herself into.

The next morning came too soon, the simple reminder that their living was hard enough and now they must continue to work to survive.
Katara woke slowly and was reluctant to leave Zuko's arms, in which she'd fallen asleep the night before. They were still by the pool where she'd taught him to swim and now that she thought back, she couldn't quite remember everything that had happened after it started raining. She knew it was nothing incriminating, but she still wondered. Had she been that consumed by his presence?
After a moment, she forced herself to vacate his arms and stood and stretched. He remained lying on the ground, but now his face had contorted slightly, as if her absence frustrated him. Katara watched him for a moment and bit her lip, the memory of the night before coming back slowly, the kisses, the raw hunger, and finally exhausted from the sheer passion of their escapade, they'd collapsed in each other's arms.
Katara walked away, her mind a blur. Once things were perfectly clear but now she was confused about everything. For the first time in her life, her heart was torn two ways. On one side was Aang, tender, kind, happy and on the other was Zuko, rough, sharp, and angry. The choice should've been obvious to her, but it wasn't, and she feared it wouldn't be for a long time.
She found that their clothes had dried quickly even after the rain of the night before. After dressing, she headed over to the trap to see if they'd caught any fish for breakfast. They had and she drew one out and began cleaning it, hoping Zuko would wake soon to cook it.

Zuko's eyes fluttered as the sun taunted him into a conscious state. Slowly he opened his eyes and raised his head slightly, looking around. Katara was kneeling by the cold ashes of the previous fires, hard at work readying their breakfast for him to cook it. It seemed just like every other morning they'd spent together since he'd saved her from the tigress.
Then he remembered the night before and the slights of her body language told him more as a thin blush crept across his face. He pushed himself to a sitting position, his eyes focused on nothing particular as long as he had his back to her.
Hadn't they distinctly agreed to only be friends? Wasn't she the one who had made that clear? Then she went and held him and looked at him that way until he'd lost himself in her eyes.
He had kissed her.
Well, couldn't he blame that on payback since she'd stolen his first kiss that day in the snow? Something he wouldn't lightly forget either, his lip still hurt from where she'd bitten him, and…
For some reason, neither anger nor revenge would harbor itself in his heart and he sighed in defeat.
He didn't know what to make of it, but he knew he couldn't ignore it, so he stood, brushing off the leaves and dirt from his skin. Turning, Zuko noticed she was once again fully dressed so he checked by the stream and found that his pants were dry as well, so he dressed and joined her by the dead coals.
With a flick of his wrist the coals burst into life, and Katara gave a startled cry. She hadn't even noticed him wake so absorbed had she been with her own thoughts.
“I'm sorry. I didn't mean to startle you.”
She looked up and met his eyes. That hadn't been as hard as she thought it was.
“It's all right. I know you didn't. I'm glad you're up. I was getting hungry.”
He smiled and she nearly gasped. It was really the first time he'd smiled openly in front of her.
“Well, I wouldn't want you to eat the fish raw and get sick now would I? Then I'd have to waste my precious time taking care of you.”
She threw a leaf at him, laughing at his joking tone.
“Your precious time? What are you going to do Prince Zuko? You're stuck on an island with me!”
He laughed and took the gourd up so he could fetch some fresh water for them both. The awkward atmosphere left by last night faded away. Somehow they both agreed not to talk about it and continue on where they left off…as friends and nothing more.
As Zuko knelt by the water and allowed it to flow into the gourd, a sudden chill passed over him and he began to cough. Covering his mouth with a fist, he waited until it passed before going back to Katara with the water.
She eyed him. “Zuko are you feeling all right?”
For some reason he still felt cold but contributed it to the wind around them.
“Yes Katara, I'm fine.”
Without hesitation Katara raised her hand to his forehead as if to check his temperature.
“I don't know Zuko. You're rather warm.”
“I'm a fire-bender.”
Katara at first just looked at him and then laughed. “I forgot. Your body temperature is naturally higher isn't it?”
He nodded before placing the gourd on the fire to heat.
“Then how will I know if you're sick?”
Zuko laughed.
“I haven't been sick since I was three, but you'll know if I am.”
Katara nodded and accepted this easily. They cooked breakfast together and ate quickly. Both were surprised when Mika came trotting up with a rabbit in her jaws. Zuko smiled and took the rabbit after giving Mika congratulatory scratch behind her ears.
As Mika lay down between them, Katara marveled at how much the tiger cub had grown. She knew without a doubt that the cub that had once danced around her feet would floor her if Mika decided to play. Zuko didn't seem bothered by this fact, and he promptly stood and began playing with Mika, both of them rolling around the clearing.
Katara laughed as she watched them, amazed to see Zuko so carefree.
Zuko briefly stopped and met her gaze, and was shocked to see how soft they were. She smiled at him and he couldn't help but smile back. Suddenly something dawned on him and he walked over to her.
“Katara, there might be something we could use back at that village.”
Her smile disappeared and she hung her head.
“I don't want to go back there.”
“Katara…”
“I don't want to be reminded of what happened to them.”
He sighed. “I'll go by myself then. One of us needs to check it out.”
Katara's head snapped up.
“No! What if you get hurt or too cold like last time?”
Zuko stood. “I'm in better condition than I was last time. I'll be able to bend to keep myself warm. And Mika will stay here with you in case you need her.”
“And if you get hurt?”
He looked around and finally pointed. “If I'm not back by the time the sun gets to that tree, send Mika to get me.”
“But…”
His old anger suddenly resurfaced. “Look, I'm going. You said you don't want to go so you stay here. I won't force you to go, but you won't stop me.”
With that, he turned on his heel and marched off, leaving Katara to stare at his back open-mouthed.

Azula was plotting their course when the rebel brat decided to join her in navigations.
“What are you doing princess?”
She took a deep breath and let it out very slowly.
“I am plotting the course that you were supposed to help me with. Now I must contend with you and your useless minions until we get to the next port.”
Jet yawned and stretched. “I gave you your information.”
“Which proved to be of no use to me! The Avatar has already reached the North Pole and left! Therefore your purpose was nonexistent!”
Jet glared at the top of her head as she continued to plot a new course and then sighed.
“Look princess, I know ALL of their plans, not just that. If he's already mastered water-bending, they'll be headed to Omashu. I believe that Aang has a friend there who will teach him earth-bending.”
Azula looked up and met his gaze, searching his eyes for any hint of fraud. Finding none, she smiled. She picked up the map she'd been plotting and promptly balled it up. Turning, she threw it as hard as she could at the two men who had just walked in. It hit her soldier rather than the large rebel beside him.
Jet laughed. “Excellent aim.”
She turned and glared at him for a moment, and then she smirked.
“What are you talking about? I missed.”
Jet looked at her and then burst into laughter. “We're two of a kind princess.”
“Stop calling me that.” Azula hissed and Jet tilted his head.
“But you are a princess.”
She whirled on him. “And you will treat me with the proper respect. You will call me either Your Highness or Princess Azula. Nothing else will do.”
Jet smirked. “Fine, on one condition.”
Azula snarled. “And what is that?”
He leaned forward as he placed on hand on the table Azula was seconds from incinerating.
“What,” he paused and smirked. “…Is my name?”
She stared at him, her jaw dropping. `What IS his name?'
Azula bit her lip. “Set?”
Jet's smirk grew wider. “Wrong answer…princess.”
With that he turned, motioned to Pipsqueak, and they left, seconds before Azula's outcry filled the entire room with smoke and ash. Amidst the chaos, the helmsman managed to hear her say.
“Full steam for Omashu!”

Aang was sitting on Appa's head, guiding the bison in the direction Kioko had said that her village laid. The girl herself was now curled up like a cat in a corner of the saddle. Sokka was calmly feeding bits of a rabbit he had caught earlier to the baby dragon.
For a while Aang watched Sokka, noting the fatherly care he showed towards the young dragon.
“What are you going to name her Sokka?”
“Nakara.”
“Nakara? Why Nakara?”
Sokka shrugged. “I think that's what she wants to be called.”
In response, Nakara gave a small mew and nudged Sokka's hand, asking for another small piece of meat, which he readily gave to her.
Kioko woke and yawned, stretching her arms to the sky not far above their heads.
“Where are we?”
Aang smiled. “Look around.”
She did so and returned his smile. “We're almost to my home.”
Kioko went and sat next to him on Appa's head, the wind picking at her long brown hair. Aang smiled at her.
“Hey, after we spend some time with your village, will you come with us and help us find Katara?”
She just looked at him and he looked down. “I feel so guilty that we haven't been looking for her, and I wonder every night if she's okay, sometimes I stay up all night just thinking about her.”
Kioko's eyes softened. “You think you love her don't you?”
Aang glanced up and then looked down again just as quickly.
“Yes, I do.”
Kioko raised her eyes to the mid-morning sun and Aang watched her. What her thoughts were he didn't know, but she seemed to be extremely preoccupied. She raised her right hand and looked at the emerald ring on her middle finger and sighed.
“Kioko?”
She looked at him. “Where did you get that?”
“This?” she motioned her hand, allowing the emerald to catch the light.
“I found it at an Air Temple.”
He stared at her. “An Air Temple?”
She nodded and sighed again.
“It is the Shòu, forged to be wielded by the Daughter of Kaia.”
Aang frowned, his mood now reflecting her slightly depressed aura.
“That's you isn't it? You are the Daughter of Kaia.”
Kioko looked at him before nodding. “Yes, Kaia is my mommy.”
Aang tilted his head. “It all makes sense now. That's how you knew Agni and Shasa, that's how you were affiliated with the Spirit World, and how you knew the dragons.”
Kioko nodded. “I was a very little girl when Agni visited me for the first time in my village. He took me for a ride on his back through the skies and told me if I ever needed anything, just to ask. He said that my mommy, Kaia, had asked him to look after me. Agni was my very first and very best friend.”
Kioko sighed again. “But now that Agni isn't allowed into Aye, which is what the gods call our world, I'm sad. I miss him; he always made me happy. The Prophecy always confused me, but I always thought he'd be there to help me understand.”
Aang's head snapped up. “The Prophecy? What Prophecy?”
“The Prophecy of Four, which states that four powerful beings, one from each element, children of those forgotten, will rise to end the war of nations.”
A wave of relief flooded through Aang.
“You mean I don't have to beat the Fire Lord by myself?”
Kioko smiled at him, her eyes lighting up for the first time. “Aang, if the Prophecy is right, you might not have to face the Fire Lord at all! According to the Prophecy, the final battle will belong to the Four.”
Aang smiled. “I sure hope the Prophecy is true. I'd like to lose some of this pressure.”
Kioko smiled. “Yes, and you can imagine what it must be like to be one of the Four.”
“Who are the Four?”
Kioko raised four fingers and counted off. “Well, there's me, the Daughter of Kaia, and there's the Daughter of Nen. Then there's the Son of Agni…”
Aang visibly stiffened.
“…and the Son of Samir. One from each element.”
“Do you know who is who?”
Kioko shook her head and Aang gave a frustrated growl.
“But you grew up with Agni! You must know who his son is!”
Kioko shook her head again. “If it wasn't for the Prophecy, I wouldn't even know he had a son!”
Aang let out an angry sigh and focused his gaze ahead and Kioko smiled gently.
“Here, I'll guide Appa for a while. You go get some sleep; you look like you need it. We should reach my village soon.”
Aang decided to take her up on her offer and went back to lie down in the saddle. Sokka gave him a wry look and rolled his eyes. Aang's heart was filled with turmoil but he must've been exhausted because he was asleep in…

Kioko sighed, barely sparing Aang a glance before turning her head to the landscape before her. There was so much pressure on the young Avatar, and she begrudged him none of his glory, but she knew what it was like to be a child prodigy.
Everyone in her village had marveled when it became apparent that she could bend two elements. They had even thought that SHE was the Avatar for a little while, until someone pointed out that Water came next, Air did not repeat itself.
But she was one of the Four, whoever the other three were, and she had a part to play as yet. She wished she knew more though. Was the time for the Four to unite running out, or was there a higher power, higher than the gods at work here?
She did not know, but there was a warning in her heart that said something was going to happen.
And soon.

Zuko walked on through the woods, trying to push the girl from his mind and focus on the task ahead. But for some reason, the Water Tribe peasant wouldn't stop invading his thoughts.
`Gah, how dare she presume to command me?'
`Oh, was that what she was doing? Looks to me like she was being concerned.'
`She wants to manipulate me, just like everyone else. Manipulate me to her own devices.'
`Her? I doubt that. What would a Water Tribe peasant want with the Fire Prince?'
`That's all she is to me. A peasant, someone I must put up with until…'
`Until what exactly?'
`Until we get off this island. Then I can go back to what I was used to.'
`Back to the pain, the frustration, the misery? She has helped you to experience happiness.'
`I don't know happiness.'
`You did last night.'
Zuko walked faster, staring at the barrier but not really seeing it as he passed through into Shasa's side of the Island of Misu.
`Last night was…'
`Was what? A mistake?'
`…'
`Or will you admit it affected you? She affects you.'
`No one affects me, especially not her.'
`…'
`Do you dare deny it? Nothing will stop me from doing what needs to be done!'
`…Then why do you not care about the Avatar anymore?'
Zuko stopped short, his eyes wide.
`………I don't? ……but Aang…'
But that little voice was right. The familiar spark of hope, of drive bordering on obsession did not spring up when he thought of all the reasons for which he must capture the Avatar.
`…I called him Aang.'
`She's changed you Zuko…will you deny it?'
Zuko allowed a small smile to penetrate.
“No, I won't deny it. She has shown me something I never thought I'd know, never understood, and it has indeed changed me.”
`Love?'
He laughed. “Hardly. It's called friendship.”
The voice faded, and Zuko surveyed the treacherous terrain around him. He'd have to keep his wits about him to make sure he didn't get trapped in a blizzard.

Upon reaching the village, he was startled by the transformation. Snow covered most of the remainder of the once proud homes, and any traces of the burnt bodies were gone. Zuko dug through the snow, searching for something, anything, that they could use.
What he had told Katara was true; he was in much better condition now. He used his fire-bending to keep his body warm, but every now and then his chest caught and he coughed, the spasms getting steadily worse until he literally had to double over and wait for it to pass.
Perhaps she was right as well. Maybe he was getting sick. Well, now wasn't the time to think about it Zuko decided. The sky was clear and he headed out of the village now supplied with some dried foods, a couple packs with different tools in them, and a long coil of rope.
The sun was high overhead, probably near noon, and he should be getting back before Katara became worried and sent Mika after him, but something caught his eye around the edge of the glacier.
He walked around the jutting crystal of ice and the cool blue ocean lay out before him. His golden eyes grew wide and he dropped all that his arms were holding.
The waves of the ocean rolled softly in the breeze, the sun gleaming both off the seas and the snow upon the land. But this majesty and beauty was not what had caught Zuko's attention, for in the bay by the village was something that renewed his hope and determination.
It was a boat.

Iroh did not want to go back to the Fire Nation capital, Sozun. That was probably why he'd stopped in a large Fire Nation held port and given the crew a weeklong leave. Today was the last day of that leave, but he really didn't know what to tell them when they returned. He had no plan, no mission, nothing.
He missed Zuko and his nephew's commanding presence. Even as a general he'd hated giving orders. He hated the responsibility that came with it and now he knew it was Agni's blood in him. The carefree and playful god had left quite an imprint on him, genetically and otherwise.
Suddenly, a red-tailed hawk swooped down from the sky and landed on the table by his teapot, a scroll attached to its leg. Iroh reached over and untied the scroll, unfurling it while the hawk preened.
It was a letter from someone he'd long thought dead.
Lieutenant Jee stepped out onto the deck just in time to see Iroh smile. The retired general and prince looked up and met the lieutenant's gaze.
“Please tell the helmsman to set a course for Shian when the crew returns.”
Jee nodded. “Is it about Prince Zuko?” He asked, implying the letter.
Iroh's smile grew. “You could say that.”

Katara was gravely worried about Zuko. She'd done everything around the clearing that she could and have even tried to climb a tree to gather some of the fruit at its top. The end result of this endeavor was the inside of her thighs scraped raw and a single fruit falling to belt her on the head before rolling down the hill.
It had taken her barely an instant to heal the scrapes on her thighs, but now she was out of things to do. She'd kept the fire going and made lunch just in case Zuko returned in time to eat but it didn't look like he would.
What had made him snap at her this morning? They'd been fine and then he'd gotten defensive when she'd tried to show concern. Maybe she'd pushed too hard too fast. Yes, that was it. If she was going to truly free Zuko's heart, she'd have to take very small steps. First thing she would do when he got back was apologize.
If he came back that is. He could go back to ignoring her like he did when they first came to the island. Katara bit her lip, fearing that this was so. Her heart told her otherwise but she couldn't still the tiniest prick of apprehension.
Just as she'd nearly convinced herself he wouldn't return, she heard something bursting through the trees and Mika gave a happy cry. Zuko lunged into the clearing and grabbed her hands, hauling her to her feet.
“Zuko, what is it?” She cried.
He smiled broadly.
“Come see Katara! Come see! We'll get off this island yet!”
She followed him back to the barrier at a run, for it seemed Zuko couldn't slow down anyway. They barreled through the barrier and through the snow to the bay, where Katara was sent to her knees by the sight.
The boat in the harbor was in perfect condition, made to exact Water Tribe specifications, floating silently as the waves toyed with it. She and Zuko made their way onboard, investigating every inch of the ship. It seemed that the villagers had been preparing a voyage for the ship itself was stocked with food and supplies, ready to go.
Katara turned to Zuko and hugged him, seeking some way to express her exuberance. He wrapped his arms around her waist and spun her off her feet. When he set her back down she smiled up into his eyes.
“We can get off the island. Where should we go?”
He smiled again. “There's a map in one of the rooms. We're close to the North Pole, maybe a couple of days sailing with good winds.”
Katara frowned. “Are you sure we should go to the North Pole? I doubt they'd welcome you too easily and we, as in Sokka, Aang, and I, were captured before they let us in.”
Zuko's brow furrowed as he thought about this, unconsciously refusing to relinquish his grip on her waist, but Katara didn't notice, her arms still around his neck.
“I'll figure something out when we get there, but for now we need to get off this island.”
Katara nodded in agreement, her thoughts filled with seeing her people again, apprehension at how they might receive Zuko so soon after the attack, and looking forward to taking a real bath.
They spent about three hours transferring what they thought they would need and what they wanted to keep to the boat, including the tiger-skin, Zuko's armor, and Mika of course.
The young tigress had no qualms about jumping on the boat with them and getting in their way as they tried to get ready to sail. Once everything was on board, Zuko spent a few minutes double checking everything including his plotted course.
Katara was standing on the bow when Zuko returned. “Ready to go?”
He nodded and started to jump off to push the boat into the water.
“Zuko?”
He looked over at her. “What?”
“You are coming with us aren't you?” She said with a sly smile and he nodded.
“Then why are you getting off?”
He stared at her strangely as if she should know exactly why he was getting off when she turned to the water behind them. With one smooth movement she brought the water in and raised the boat from the shore. Zuko gave a small cry as the boat lurched and then he laughed, holding on to the gunwale as the boat drifted towards the open sea.
“All right,” Zuko started as he stepped back onto the deck. “Let's go.”
And they were off.
Katara went below deck to explore while Zuko guided the ship out of the bay and onto the open ocean. She found a cage of small white birds and recognized them as messenger birds. Quickly, she wrote a letter to Aang and Sokka and attached it to the leg of one of the birds.
Zuko barely glanced at her as she carried the bird up to the deck. The ship was now eagerly plowing through the waves, guided by Zuko's steady hand. Katara smiled as she tossed the bird into the wind and watched it wing off towards the setting sun and distant mountains.

Kioko smiled and gave a happy cry as they entered the mountain range. The land below was much too treacherous with pitfalls and hidden cliffs to be traveled by foot, but they soared above it with ease.
Nakara unfurled her ill-developed wings and leapt around the saddle while Sokka and Aang leaned over the edge, viewing the world beneath them.
It wasn't a village; it seemed to be the entire Air Nomad population hidden in one secluded mountain range.

Azula's ship had stopped briefly for supplies, and Jet told his men to return to the forest and protect the valley. Now he was alone with the Fire Nation crew, but he didn't feel threatened. Besides, the princess was intriguing and he didn't want his men to think he'd gone soft. He had given them specific instructions to inform the Freedom Fighters that he was working as a spy.
Jet spotted Princess Azula making her way off alone into the woods and he followed her, more out of spite than curiosity or concern.
Azula walked through the woods, neither paying attention to where she was going or caring. All her focus was on the small amulet she was now holding. So far it had already cost several lives, was it really worth that much? What power did it hold that those men had been willing to so dearly pay for it?
Jet was following the princess when rustles in the trees around them caught his attention. He was had nearly been born of the trees, and could tell that someone foreign was among them, and it was neither he nor the princess.
Azula had reached a clearing when she was suddenly surrounded by warriors in black outfits. Only their eyes were visible and she recognized them as from the same background as those who had attacked her and Zhao at the shrine.
“Surrender the Hiketsu and you will not be harmed.”
Once again she was dumbfounded. Again, she held up the amulet, but this time it had been bought with Fire Nation blood, and she would not give it up.
“No.”
Each warrior drew twin broadswords.
“Then we must take it from you.”
Azula brought her arms up in front of her, ready to send fire into their over-confident mouths. The first one lunged forward to attack.
The others lunged behind their leader, but several were stopped short by a pair of hook-swords wielded expertly.
“Jet!” Azula cried as she dodged blows, the amulet dangling from her wrist.
Soon the clearing was filled with the flashes of swords and bursts of fire. The black-clad warriors were impenetrable, and Azula had to think of something quick. She tore the amulet from her arm.
“Jet! Catch!”
Jet stepped on the shoulders of one of the ninjas in order to catch the amulet she tossed at him. Turning, he caught her gaze and she nodded to him.
“Go! And don't let them have that!”
Jet's brow furrowed. “Why not?”
Azula grinned. “They didn't say `please'!”
Jet laughed, dodged a sword, and sprang into the trees. The black-clad ninjas followed him and Azula followed them, doing her best to pick them off.

Jet slipped the amulet around his neck and flew through the trees until one of the warriors collided with him and they both fell to the ground in a clearing. Soon he was surrounded by the ninjas and they all attacked at once.
The one-time rebel put up a valiant fight but the warriors were too many and too well trained. Jet felt his swords jerked roughly from his hand and backed up against a tree, ready to fight them with only his hands. He would not let them get the amulet.
One, obviously the leader, stepped out from the circle formed around them.
“Give us the Hiketsu.”
Jet had to breathe deeply, the adrenaline flowing quickly through his body, both hands resting against the bark of the tree.
“No.”
The warrior sheathed his swords and crossed his arms.
“Why would you want it? You can't use it.”
Jet gritted his teeth. “Why don't you tell me what it is I can't use?”
The warrior sighed.
“It is the Hiketsu, the Key of One Thousand Winds, forged to be wielded by the Son of Samir. It had been lost to us for many millennia, and now you will return it to us.”
Jet raised his hands and placed one on each side of the amulet, about an inch away from the jewel itself.
“So, it sounds like it's pretty powerful. And only the Son of Samir can use it?”
“Yes, and we will keep it until he arises.”
But Jet was no longer listening to what the warrior was saying, he was now focused only on the power he felt welling up within him.
What had made him place his hands exactly like that around the Hiketsu, what made him focus on it, what made him know that he could use it, he didn't know…but it would be one of the best decisions he'd ever made.
The wind began to blow around them, centering where Jet stood with his hands about a foot apart with the Hiketsu between them. A white light was showing from within the jewel and enveloped Jet with its increasingly powerful brilliance.
The warriors fell back, trying to shield themselves from the growing wind and light. Azula somehow knew she should stay out of the clearing, hovering just beyond the tree line.
The sphere of light and wind that had formed around the Hiketsu suddenly burst outward, sending the warriors flying through the air and trees, landing wherever the wind sent them, some even crashing into the roofs of the nearby village. The wind blew for several moments more and then died away as the light faded.
Azula burst into the clearing to go to Jet where he had fallen to his knees, his hands now resting on his thighs, the amulet hanging down inert on his chest. She placed a hand on his shoulder as she knelt on one knee, tilting her head down to meet his gaze.
Jet looked up and smiled at her.
“You remembered my name.”
Azula couldn't help but smile.