Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Prophesied ❯ How You Made Me What I Am ( Chapter 21 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Blessed is the servant who loves his brother as much when he is sick and useless as when he is well and be of service to him. And blessed is he who loves his brother as well when he is afar off as when he is by his side, and who would say nothing behind his back he might not, in love, say before his face."
St Francis of Assisi
"A sibling may be the keeper of one's identity, the only person with the keys to one's unfettered, more fundamental self."
--Marian Sandmaier

Chapter 21: How You Made Me What I Am
The morning found Jun squeezing her eyes shut in an effort to cut out the rising sun and sleep just a few minutes more. The last thing she remembered before dropping off to sleep again was hoisting Rou into the saddle and sending Shirshu off with them both curled up in the saddle.
She was connected to Rou, driven by an overwhelming urge to protect him that shadowed out everything she had known before, bonded to him in a way that she didn't even think Haku understood, though he had given her the task.
She remembered the suicidal pain she'd felt after Saeta had died, the pain that had sent her wandering the earth until she was captured by pirates. The pirate captain adopted her, saying she reminded him of his illegitimate daughter. He taught her to fight and to take care of herself, finally sending her off into the world with Shirshu.
Together with Shirshu, she had become an excellent bounty hunter for the simple fact that she was good at it. But still, nothing had helped to fill the tireless emptiness inside her.
Until Rou.
Now, it was time for her to stand, take up her new ways, and protect this child. He was a precious gift, and she thanked the gods for letting her enjoy his presence. She pushed herself up into a sitting position, and opened her eyes.
She saw nothing but darkness.
Her brow furrowed in contemplation, trying to figure out why she couldn't see. It was late in the morning and the sun was up. She couldn't be going blind, Agni, she was only 17!
Her hand flew up to her eyes and, just as the barely suppressed telltale laughter burst from beside her, her hand brushed the cloth tied around her head. In one smooth movement she tore the cloth off.
“Rou!”
The young prankster squeaked and ran off into the woods with Jun steps behind him. Shirshu glanced over as they passed then yawned and went back to sleep. Jun quickly caught up to her prey and tackled him to the ground, immediately beginning to tickle him. He laughed and twisted out of her reach where he stopped and looked at her, a grin from ear to ear.
She looked into his eyes lovingly and mussed his hair.
“Come on, Rou.”
“Where are we going today?”
She pulled him to his feet and there was a small ripping sound. Jun smiled and Rou blushed.
“We're going to find you some new clothes.”

A large, dark-red dragon flew through the sky almost lazily, but the golden eyes of his rider were alert, his hands tight around the reins. Releasing the reins with one hand and gathering them into the other, he adjusted the cloth over the lower half of his face, the cloth that protected his mouth and nose from the harsh wind of flying while at the same time drawing attention to his brilliantly golden eyes.
The same wind had torn the hood back from his head a while back, and his long black hair danced freely, only held back from his face by a golden band over his forehead. Beneath the long black cloak, he was dressed in traditional Fire Nation armor.
Regaining the reins in both hands, he guided the dragon to land beside a large river. He observed the river for a moment, not bothering to lower the cloth over his face.
“Now, this might pose a problem for my army. Don't you think so, Sainan?”
The dragon turned an eye on him, but made no gesture either way. Without waiting for an answer, the rider folded his hands in front of his chest. One could now see that his nails had been sharpened to claws and painted black. On each nail, scratched into the black enamel, were five kanji, one for each of the five elements: fire, earth, water, air, spirit.
Two fingers, one from each hand, rose and pressed together above the folded hands, and upon closer observation, one could see that both bore the kanji of earth.
The ground began to shake, and from beneath the raging river rose up earth that formed a wide bridge. The water spilled over the land bridge, but was only knee-deep. The rider lowered his hands and opened his eyes, viewing his handiwork.
“That will make things a bit easier.”
The dragon, Sainan, nodded his great head. From behind them, a gray wolf emerged from the woods at a run and then trotted up and pushed his head under the rider's hand, and he began rubbing the wolf's ears absent-mindedly.
The rider turned and easily mounted back into the dragon's saddle. The wolf trotted forward a few feet and howled. Just before Sainan took flight once more and just as the howl receded, the rider's gaze flicked south, as if he'd heard something. Both beasts turned to look upon their master as he just sat there, immobile. Then he sighed.
“Come now, Sainan, Konton. Let's go.”
The dragon soared into the air with one flap of its wings and the wolf bounded across the bridge, following them on foot.

Miles behind them, a huge Fire Nation army marched through the Achlys Mountains on order to find and destroy any air-bender survivors they might encounter. The army was under the command of the youngest Fire Nation general…ever. Their leader was barely 19.
Currently leading the army was a black wolf by the name of Hakai as the general was miles ahead, scouting out the landscape. Hakai perked his ears as a howl came back to him, and he processed how far and in what direction, so he knew how to alter his speed and course.
One of the commanders behind him found this situation embarrassing and stupid.
“We shouldn't be following a dog because our general is too stupid to lead us himself.”
The captain he was speaking to flinched and the commander continued.
“I don't think that General Peris should even be in command. He's too young to be sent on such a mission and with such a force. Fire Lord Ozai should've put someone with more experience in charge. Peris is young and foolish!”
“Don't say such things!” the captain said desperately.
The commander turned an eye on him. “What?”
“If I may, General Peris is a great leader! Right now, he's scouting out the land so we make better time and he'll find the air-bender survivors so we can attack where it causes most damage.”
The captain looked down. “He may be young, but he knows what he's doing.”
The commander growled. “Peris is an idiot. And you should learn your place, Captain Ken Lo.”
The captain sighed. “Yes, Commander Fah.”
What neither of them noticed was Hakai walking in front of them with one ear turned back towards them.

Shasa woke easily as the sun rose over the horizon. Instantly, she was awake, shocked that she had even slept at all. Before her eyes was the black cloth covering her captor's arm, and he still had an arm wrapped around her, the reins of his mount in his other hand.
Now that the sun had rose, Shasa noticed that his entire form was covered. She remembered how he had blocked the sun in their first battle, and then waited until the night to strike again. Did the light actually harm him?
She raised her head and looked around. The sun sparkled on the ocean waves that they flew over, the dragon gliding low enough that if she leapt from its back, the fall wouldn't kill her.
“A lovely morning, don't you think?”
Her captor didn't respond, and she looked up at him. He stared resolutely forward, and when she glanced back down, she didn't notice his eyes flick towards her.
“I don't care for mornings.”
Shasa blinked in surprise before raising her head once more and sitting up.
“Why not?”
“The light is not good for me.”
Shasa sighed as he reached around her and took the reins in both hands.
“Your name is Shiroten, right?”
He nodded.
“Do you know what it means?”
She took his silence as a `no.'
“In the ancient language, it means `white heaven.'”
There was a longer silence, and when she glanced up at him again, his eyes had darkened with anger. Shasa turned her head away, but she had no idea what was going on in his head.
In the ancient language, it means `white heaven.'”
And how someone so named can be so destructive I don't know!”
You are my little piece of heaven.”
Shiroten was not angry with the goddess, but with himself. He still didn't see how he could've been so foolish, so trusting. How could he have thought he didn't have enough?

A young woman with dark brown hair and hands toughened by work in the soil carried a basket on one hip as she walked back towards her village and her one room hut.
Mother!”
She turned to see her young son, now barely four years old, running to catch up with her. Hovering between his hands was a small cloud of sand.
Look what I can do!”
That's great, Shiroten.”
He smiled and she brushed a hand through his tangled brown locks, his soft green eyes smiling at her.
Do you think Grandpa will approve of me now?”
She gasped in surprise and then smiled sadly. “Perhaps.”
He smiled and then let the sand drop, taking her hand in his own.
We better get home before it gets dark.”
She nodded and let him lead her back to their hut.
Later that night, he was sitting in their bed, the covers over his legs and his arms folded over his knees. She had finished brushing out her hair and was dressed in a light green yukata.
Mother?” He said softly.
Yes Shiroten?”
Why doesn't Grandpa like me?”
She bit her lip and sat down on the bed in front of him.
Because it is dishonorable not to know your father. But what he doesn't understand, my heaven, is that you are a child of a god. A god is your father, and doesn't need to be accepted by anyone. You are special.”
He smiled and curled up under the blankets. After blowing out the candle, she lay down next to him.
You are my little piece of heaven.”

Shiroten watched his sleeping mother for a few moments, a pack filled with food and basic supplies on his back. He tucked his crudely written note in her partially open hand.
`Mother, I have gone to find my father. I love you and I'll be back soon.'
He then left the village he'd called home for his entire life, not knowing he'd never return.

Hello Shiroten.”
He stared at the man chained to the wall with wide eyes.
How did you know my name?”
Oh Shiroten, can you not guess? I am your father.”
Shiroten gasped; his long journey at last over. Then his eyes narrowed.
Why are you chained?”
Because I am bad.”
Who did this?”
People.”
There was a moment of silence, which his father quickly filled.
You can free me Shiroten.”
How?”
Unlock the chains.”
I don't have a key.”
Before his eyes, out of the shadows, a key was formed and Shiroten ran over to it. It was heavy, so heavy that he could not pick it up. He had to drag it across the floor to where the padlock had appeared in the chains. His father offered neither help nor words of praise while Shiroten hefted the large key onto his shoulder to press it into the lock.
It seemed that had been the easy part, for now Shiroten could not turn the key. The surface of the key was rough and tore at his fingers while another presence began tearing at his soul. He threw his whole weight behind pulling the key and as it turned, he screamed, feeling a piece of his soul being torn as his father burst through the chains.
He fell to the ground, exhausted. He held a torn hand up in front of his face and watched as his tan Earth Kingdom skin paled and red veins turned black. Brown hair darkened to black and soft green eyes turned to silver-rimmed shadows.
Before he gave into unconsciousness, he saw his father standing over him, a light trembling in his hand.
The light of his soul.

Shiroten growled as Ji-Kan twitched his wings and they soared up and over the trees that appeared before them, the forest that hid the Water Tribe Temple.
“Where are we going?” Shasa ventured to ask, but Shiroten did not respond.
After a few moments of flying over the forest, Ji-Kan floated down and the trees opened up beneath them. The hydra touched down in the center of the Temple courtyard, and many of the women ran screaming, except for one.
Water Sage Qing-Yuan stepped forward and bowed.
“Welcome, Lord Shiroten.”
Shasa stared in shock at the woman but her attention was quickly diverted. There was a shuddering at the gate and then the huge oak gates were pushed back, the locks snapping beneath the angry strength.
Shiroten dismounted and pushed Ji's head away as the dragon sought his attention. The Water Sage watched the gates with a slight fear in her eyes, but Shiroten merely looked annoyed.
Finally the gates gave way and opened to admit Eimin, dressed in Fire Nation armor and a sweeping blood-red cloak, followed by Nen, dressed in blue with a black cloak, and she was supporting Makani as well as carrying a crudely wrapped package under one arm. Shasa quivered at the look in Eimin's eyes, for no one truly wanted to be in his sight when he was annoyed, let alone blatantly angry as he was now.
His gaze centered on Shiroten and then shifted to Shasa, then back to Shiroten and he sighed, closing his eyes.
“This calms me somewhat to know you succeeded.”
Shiroten nodded. “You succeeded as well, from what I can see.”
Shasa could tell from the strain in the voices of both that they were struggling to speak civilly to each other.
Eimin nodded, but now his voice held traces of anger. “Not without a price.”
He pulled up the sleeve over his left arm, revealing a stump that ended halfway down his upper arm.
“Nen could not heal it. I have too much darkness in my soul.”
In an instant, Shiroten was at his side, holding his hands out. “If I may…”
Eimin nodded and Shiroten took the stump in his hands, calmly observing the severity. A gesture to Nen brought her to his side, and she revealed that the package she carried was actually Eimin's severed arm. Shiroten watched the two pieces and the shadows that emanated from them both, and after a long observation, he nodded.
“I can heal this.”
Eimin almost stared at him, but blood loss was beginning to affect him and so he allowed Shiroten to take his good arm and lead him into the Temple and Nen followed.

Qing-Yuan gathered Shasa and Makani to her. Shasa was unwilling to leave what she felt was the safety of the dragon, but from the look on Makani's face, she needed companionship and a friend. She slipped from Ji-Kan's back and placed an arm around Makani's shoulders while Qing-Yuan led the way into the temple.
She said nothing to the goddesses; there was nothing to explain her behavior when clearly the rest of the temple was unaware of her allegiances to Eimin. Finally, Shasa had to ask.
Qing-Yuan paused, her hand holding the screen open to a room that she had already labeled for the goddesses, but there was no hesitation in her answer.
“I have served Eimin for as long as I can remember, goddess Shasa, and I don't believe that the reason I serve him is of your interest. I do want he tells me to, and nothing more.”
Shasa guided Makani within the room and Qing-Yuan slid the screen closed behind them. There were three pallets in the room, a brazier for warmth, and a table filled with food and drink. There was even a cache of medical supplies.
Shasa helped Makani to lie down on one of the pallets and offered a sip of water from one of the available skins.
“Now, Makani, aijin, tell me what's wrong.”
Makani gave a great sigh, her gray eyes filling with tears. “I'm sorry, Shasa.”
“Makani…”
Makani burst into tears. “I'm sorry!”
“About what, aijin?”
“Agni…”
Shasa's heart stopped. “What about Agni?”
“I'm sorry…I sided against him…”
Shasa shook her head. “It's all right.”
“He must be hurting…and you hurt because you love him so much…”
“It's all right because he got out, he returned to Aye.”
Makani smiled. “That's good. He can help.”
Shasa nodded and Makani continued, gripping her hand desperately.
“He killed him, he killed him Shasa!”
“Who?”
“Samir! Eimin killed Samir!”
Shasa stared at her in shock. “That's impossible…”
“I saw him fall. He's killing us, Shasa. Where is Alem now?”
Shasa closed her eyes and slipped away from Makani, her hand on her stomach, thinking of the life that grew within her. Her eyes drew up to watch through the sun through the window.
“Agni, Agni, my love, help us. Only you…”
With that, Shasa fainted.

Appa glided through the early morning air easily, most of his passengers asleep. Zuko was in the far back corner of the saddle in a partial sitting position, the young tigress, Mika, curled up next to him. His hand rested lightly over her, the other hand on the package from the Northern Water Tribe, which had turned out to be a new set of Dao broadswords with kanji engraved in the scabbard and decorated with flames.
Katara rested nearer the front, Sokka across from Zuko. All except for Aang, who was at Appa's head, were asleep. Aang watched the ocean glide away beneath them. After a moment, he looked back at Zuko; the prince's chin nearly touching his chest as he slept peacefully. He looked almost strange now, with his hair so short and dressed in Water Tribe clothing.
The three of them looked so peaceful that Aang almost didn't want to wake them. Then Nakara and Momo took care of that for him. The young dragon, now the size of a large dog and the lemur raced about the saddle. As Momo dodged an attack, Nakara leapt for him, overshot and landed on Zuko's groin, waking him with a sharp burst of pain.
Zuko cursed loudly as he shoved Nakara off, which woke Katara up in time to catch the escaping dragon and pin her to the saddle. Sokka slept through the whole thing despite the fact that it was his dragon causing all the havoc. This was soon remedied as Zuko took off his boot and threw it at the sleeping teen.
“Argh!” Sokka yelled as he sat up, rubbing his forehead.
“Sokka! Train that dragon before I kill it!”
Sokka stared blearily at Zuko who was cupping the offended area and Katara who was still fighting the rambunctious Nakara. Momo was hiding in Aang's shirt.
Wearily, Sokka stood and took Nakara from Katara and instantly the dragon calmed down. Zuko, now recovered, sighed and lay down on his side, using Mika for a pillow as he tried to get back to sleep.
Aang smiled as he turned back to guiding Appa. Things seemed almost back to normal, and that was fine by him.

As the sun broke over the horizon, Haru ran back into the village and back into his home, grabbing a pack and throwing clothes and food into it. His mother and father came in after him.
“Haru…”
He spun around. “I have to go after her! I can't let them take her, not now! She gave up her life to protect us and our village and now I won't let them harm her!”
Tyro looked at the determination in his young son's eyes, and then smiled.
“All right. Take the elk outside.”
“But…”
“Go!” his mother cried.
Haru grabbed his pack and raced outside, leaping onto the back of the elk his father had spoken of, and then spurred the elk into a run in the direction he'd seen that man take the goddess Shasa.

Two figures flitted through the forest, yards above the ground, with delicate ease. Haku and Kanna had abandoned their long constricting cloaks, the unicorn blood in them longing for clothing that didn't restrain them.
Like her brother, Kanna wore a black fishnet shirt only she wore hers over a black top that only covered what was necessary. She also wore black shorts, while he wore full pants, which were also like a second skin, revealing her long shapely legs defined by lean strong muscle. Both now wore light sandals with a strap that wound around their ankles.
Kanna had her hair up now in a simple bun with two long strands falling around her face. Haku still wore his spiked, though it seemed almost out of place. In fact, they both seemed almost out of place, like something you couldn't really put your finger on.
Haku glided to a stop, standing easily on the thin branch overlooking the Water Tribe Temple. His mind was in a whorl such as he had not been since the last Rising of Eimin. He had been young then and had been able to handle himself with ease, but now he was wiser than he was strong.
This will be my final gift to you.
Kanna stopped beside her brother and watched him for a moment, thrown off by the deep contemplative look on his face.
“Nii-san?”
Haku jumped, startled, before turning to smile at her, a smile he saved only for her. No one else had seen him smile since Alem had Sealed himself.
“Is everything all right Haku?”
He nodded. “Just thinking. This will take all of our precision.”
She returned his nod and viewed the temple with the same calculating gaze.
“There is great evil here.”
Haku nodded and they both leapt forward. At about the same time, a tall, cloaked figure made its way into the temple.
Haku and Kanna landed lightly inside the temple and Water Sage Qing-Yuan made her way over to them.
“Welcome to our humble abby. I am...”
“We wish to speak to the Great Lord, Sage.” Haku stated simply.
“The Great Lord is not here.” She said with barely a waver in her voice. “But he will return this evening if you wish to wait.”
“He is here. I can feel him.”
Now there was a waver in her voice. “I will escort you inside. It is not my decision if you see him.”
This satisfied Haku and he gestured to Kanna to wait for him here in the courtyard. She nodded and disappeared back into the woods. Haku followed Qing-Yuan into the temple. She showed him to a room where there were several nuns studying scrolls.
“Wait here.” And that was all she said.
Well, Haku wasn't one for waiting. As soon as his advanced hearing told him that Qing-Yuan was back outside the temple, he turned and left the room. No one stopped him. His senses led him to a room a few hallways away. Upon entrance, one woman dressed all in white with silver hair and gray eyes viewed him with fear and he instantly recognized the goddess Makani.
“Who are you?” She asked fearfully.
“My name is Haku, and I am one of the Ki-Lin.”
She sighed and smiled. The Ki-Lin had long been an ally of the gods. She lay back down on her pallet and didn't stop him as he walked to the prone form of the goddess Shasa. He took her up in his arms and cradled her gently.
Slowly, her eyes opened and focused on his. “…Haku?”
He nodded and she clutched the fabric of his fishnet shirt in her hand.
“What are you doing here?”
“Helping. It will be all right now. Rest.”
She nodded, and had soon fallen into a healing sleep. He carried her to one of the pallets and then left, seeking once again the one they called the Great Lord.

The soldiers found the place that General Peris had staked for them to make camp at easily, as the black wolf's partner had marked it with her presence. Soon the soldiers were unpacking tents and other supplies from the backs of the Komodo Rhinos and setting up camp.
Hakai, the black wolf, trotted over to his partner and nudged her with his nose. She fell to the ground and licked the underside of his chin in submission. The formality over with and through nudges, yips, and barks, they spoke of their day. Hakai quickly told Konton what he wanted, and she told him their master would be returning soon.
General Peris' return to camp was marked by Sainan swooping down and settling on a small plateau in the hillside. Peris followed about a minute later, walking into the camp as silent as the woods around them.
Hakai and Konton leapt up from where they lay as soon as Peris appeared in the camp. Konton swirled around to stand behind him and Hakai nudged his head beneath Peris' hand and whined. There seemed to be some form of communication between the wolf and the man, and then Peris raised his head, absent-mindedly scratching Hakai's ears, and turned his attention to the army.
“Commander Fah, it would please me if you would come here.”
Soon, Commander Fah had separated himself from the crowds of soldiers and bowed respectfully to his leader.
“You asked for me, General Peris?”
“Yes.” Peris' gaze drifted down to Hakai. “Hakai tells me some interesting things that were said today. Apparently you don't believe I am fit to command this operation.”
Fah paled significantly, and Peris hadn't even looked at him yet.
“Not only that, my dear commander, but you believe that our Fire Lord is incompetent for appointing me to this position.”
Fah looked like he would collapse right there, and from the crowd, Captain Ken Lo had pushed his way to the front.
“My…My Lord, there is no circumstance in which I would speak so against my Fire Lord and his decisions.”
Finally, Peris' gaze lifted from Hakai and centered on the commander before him. His hand left his pet's head and hung loosely at his side for a brief moment, Hakai beginning to growl, which drew attention from the fact that Peris now had a hand resting on the sheathed kodachi at his side.
“Not only disloyal, but a liar as well. This I cannot allow.”
It happened in an instant. One moment Peris was standing lightly several feet away, the next he had rammed the kodachi through his commander's chest with both hands. In one smooth movement, he drew the kodachi out forcefully and let the commander fall to the ground, dead.
Peris knelt and wiped his blade clean on Fah's gray uniform and then straightened. Hakai had returned to Konton and they now rested side by side.
“Captain Ken Lo,”
Throughout the entire ordeal, Peris' voice had never held a trace of emotion and now Captain Ken Lo stepped forward, shaking as he bowed.
“Yes, General?”
“You are to take Fah's rank and men, until you die or I find someone better. Now, all of you, to your duties.”
Captain Ken Lo, now Commander, bowed again and the other soldiers continued with their business, everyone ignoring the body of the former Commander Fah. No one even noticed when Peris climbed back into Sainan's saddle and together they winged south. Hakai and Konton followed them with their gazes until they passed out of sight, and then the two wolves went to sleep.

Shiroten tried to ignore his father's gaze, the scrutinizing eyes that believed without a doubt that he could not do this. Nen, however, was at his side, holding Eimin's severed arm close to the stump so that Shiroten could work.
He had spoken earlier without the complete surety that he could heal this, but the theory that had formed in his mind seemed very plausible. Within his sight were the shadows of Eimin's soul. They had formed around the ends of each stump, tendrils crawling through the air and trying to reach each other through the air.
Eimin sighed. “How are you going to heal this is Nen couldn't?”
“It was your words that there was too much darkness in your soul for Nen to heal it. I am a shadow-bender. Guess.”
Eimin drew in a sharp breath at the disrespect in his son's voice, but Shiroten was too tired all ready to care.
“Now shut up. This is going to take a while and I don't know if it will hurt or not.”
Eimin did as he was told and Shiroten began the long delicate process of finding each miniscule thread of shadowed soul and reattaching it to its coordinating thread on the separated half. His hands rested poised over the separation, Eimin staying as still as he could, Nen carefully holding the severed arm. And so, the hours passed.
Shiroten fell into a trance of tracing through the shadows with his mind, finding on thread, finding the other, and then holding them together until they fused. Eimin tried to speak to him, and then Nen, but neither could pierce through. It was constant, continuing, a never ending circle of shadow and soul and forcing them to coexist and feeling through and…then there were no more.
To Nen and Eimin, there was a soft flash of dark light and then the arm had reattached. The color flowed back into the severed arm as the blood flow was restored and Eimin experimentally flexed his fingers and then arm, finding that it was as if the injury had never occurred.
Shiroten stared blankly forward, his body beyond exhausted. He swayed on his knees for a moment before collapsing into Nen's waiting arms. Eimin was already on his feet and there came a knock at the screen. Qing-Yuan entered with Eimin's permission and bowed.
"My Lord, there is a man waiting to see you."
"Who is it?"
"I am not sure, my Lord. He did not give me a name."
Eimin nodded and followed Qing-Yuan out, ignoring Nen and Shiroten.
Nen stared after him and then shook her head, turning her attentions to the young prince in her arms. A small amount of water from a nearby pitcher flowed through the air to her and around her hand, glowing after a moment with the power of healing. She pressed her hand to Shiroten's chest, and though the water did not take to heal him, the same problem as with Eimin, it did tell her what she needed to know. It told her that there was nothing physically wrong with Shiroten; he only needed rest.
The goddess called a few of the nuns to her and they carried Shiroten to his room, a room without windows, and lay him on the bed. Nen then, after making sure that there was no light seeping in, she carefully undressed him and pulled the covers up to his chest. As an afterthought, she placed a light kiss on his forehead.
"Sleep well, my prince."

Kanna had circled the temple three times now and upon reaching the gates again, decided that Haku had been gone too long. She flitted through the gate and into the temple, seeking her brother with an experience that came from many years of playing.

As soon as Eimin stepped out of the room, he no longer needed Qing-Yuan's guidance. He could feel a powerful presence in the temple, perhaps as powerful as himself. It guided him deeper into the temple and soon he found himself in the room where the nuns kept the written history of the world. There before him was who appeared to be a young man seated on the floor rather than at the provided table, reading a scroll. Eimin recognized him instantly.
"Haku, the Eldest Ki-Lin ofthis world and last of the Kuro Ki-Lin, what has brought you to my side of the darkness?"
Haku looked up and smirked. "Your titles are a little out-of-date Eimin, I am no longer the last Kuro. My sister, Kanna, has joined us. It appears you haven't yet caught up with this world."
Eimin's good mood vanished and he scowled. "The last I knew, you were allied with Alem and the other brats that you call deities."
Haku tilted his head. "Surely you don't think that Alem stayed here? He believed you were gone, and took an extended vacation."
Eimin gritted his teeth against this news. "You lie."
"That's impossible!" Haku laughed. "And you know it, Eimin. Your whole plan is ruined now, isn't it? Your plan for the ultimate revenge? Alem Sealed you beneath the earth for forever and a day, and now that you're free, you wanted to steal the souls of the gods and goddesses, each individually, and then destroy Alem with his own children!"
Now, Haku couldn't or wouldn't stop laughing, and Eimin found this more than frustrating. The bad thing was that Haku was as powerful if not more powerful than he was, and until he was at his full strength, he did not want to pick a fight with the Ki-Lin.

Kanna walked silently down the hallway until a sharp prick of instinct stopped her outside of a door. She tilted her head before pushed the screen aside and stepping in. The room was utterly dark and somehow she knew not to light one of the lanterns. Waiting until her eyes adjusted, she slid the screen shut behind her and then stepped forward.
A few steps brought her to a bed and she traced the edge of it with her hand. Her movements brought her to the head of the bed and she blinked as the form of a sleeping teenage boy appeared in her sights. He had soft black hair that had fallen over his eyes, the sheets tangled slightly around him in sleep. She carefully brushed his hair out of his eyes so as not to wake him and smiled softly. After a moment, she turned and stepped out of the room to continue her search for Haku.

A young, brilliant red dragon flew through the skies above the Achlys Mountains, scouting for food and for possible dangers. Unlike the others, he had not wanted to leave the young mistress who had taken care of them, and it was for her he was now looking.
“Down here, Kiro!”
Kiro tipped one wing and landed lightly by the stream where his young mistress, whom the other two-legs called Kioko, was waiting. She smiled and climbed up on his back, settling at the joint of his neck and back. With a small flourish, he launched himself into the air again, this time following Kioko's guidance.
But her smile was fake. Kiro could sense the turmoil and frustration in the young kit, and his head twisted around to nudge her gently, willing her to express the reasons why to him, but she pushed him away and smiled falsely again.
“We better get going. Daddy will be worried.”
Kiro sighed, a sound like a quiet roar, and turned towards the gathering of two-legs that his mistress had called Hibari.

Nen slipped quietly into the room with the other two goddesses and quickly began tending to Makani, offering her a cordial of dream honey mixed with sassafras root, which had a calming effect as well as a mild sedative. Shasa watched her sister as she worked and finally sighed.
"Why, Nen, why did you side with Eimin? And don't answer me as Qing-Yuan did, and say it's none of my business."
Nen sighed and sat back on her heels, her gaze on the floor. "I won't say that. It is your business; you deserve to know why I betrayed you and the others. It was for Katara."
Shasa stared in surprise. This perhaps was the last thing that she had expected, and Nen went on to explain.
"Katara came early, and I was miles away from the Southern Water Tribe. I gave birth to her in the frigid wilderness of the South Pole. A blizzard was coming, and I knew my baby was dying. I tried to keep her warm, but she was wet from the birth and I was exhausted. Then Eimin appeared with his proposal."
Shasa held her breath, not willing to push her sister into the confession, but Nen seemed to want to tell her.
“He said that he would give Katara life if I would take her place.”
“You accepted.”
“I had no choice!” Nen gasped desperately. “My baby girl would've died. And now, now I know her life is borrowed and I can never return lest Eimin decide to take back his end of the deal.”
Shasa closed her eyes. “The…your people always believed you died in the Fire Nation raid that followed.”
Silent tears cascaded down Nen's face and Shasa drew her close, relishing the moment in which she could finally hold her sister after long fear of her death. Nen regained her composure and continued her speech though her head did not rise from Shasa's shoulder.
“My only hope is Eimin's defeat, but I cannot even hope for that. You know better than any that my weakness is in the young children of this world. I stay now, not only for Katara, but in the hopes of saving another young child, my Lord Shiroten.”
Now Shasa was openly shocked and Nen read this from the tension in her body.
“I know what you are thinking, but Shiroten has not always been as he is now. You must know that I was there when he and Zyperis were just children, and though Eimin never thought to see them as more than tools, I know his sons better than any.”
“His sons?” Shasa was unable to prevent the outburst. Sons of Eimin, children of Death, how…
”Oh, Leaf and Star,” Shasa whispered.
Nen pushed away to look her sister in the eye. “Neither of them are as bad as you think! Shiroten has been abused and his spirit broken. Eimin took his light when he was freed from the Seal, and Shiroten has had no choice but to follow in hopes of getting it back.”
Shasa nodded, now understanding everything that had passed between her and Shiroten.
“And the other?”
Nen's whole demeanor changed and a look of confused frustration came over her.
“Er…Zyperis is…Zyperis…is…”
This continued for several minutes before Nen just shrugged.
“Zyperis is complicated. I've known him for nineteen years and if you placed him in a random situation, I would have no idea how he would react, and sometimes the ones who are unpredictable are the most dangerous.”
Shasa nodded, secretly deciding that she would not wish to meet this Zyperis. Shiroten she could understand and learn what set him off and what would calm him, but if Nen could not yet understand Zyperis, she would not risk it.
She had to think of the baby.

There had been silence between the Ki-Lin and the God of Death for several minutes now, and Eimin was not inclined to break it, but he felt he had no choice. The Ki-Lin made him feel weak and disjointed, even when he knew he was older and should've been stronger.
The difference was that he had been Sealed for thousands of years and Haku had been alive and free to advance and master his skills. Finally, after allowing the silence to stretch for a few more minutes, Eimin sighed.
“So…” he trailed off, uncertain.
“So,” Haku repeated calmly. “I believe you need a new plan.”
The first plan had taken him eons to come up with, having to first wait until the unbidden hatred and thoughts of blind revenge had calmed somewhat. Then he'd had to convince himself that it would take more than raw power to defeat his enemies. Now, this Ki-Lin was telling him that all of his careful thoughts, debates, and plans were worthless.
Eimin sank down into a nearby chair, resting one arm lazily on the table. For the first time, he was beginning to feel his age. Unnoticed by the god, Haku's eyes softened in empathy, knowing exactly how the god felt.
“Well,” Eimin said softly. “What do you suggest?”
Haku rested his head on his hand and his eyes softened even more.
“I'd suggest that you take the path of your secondary plan, the one concerning the Fire Nation. If Alem does not rise soon then I am certain you will succeed.”
“The Prophesied Four…”
“…will not matter.”
Spirit of the Four loosed upon us
Stand not in the path of the Light
Fear not if you fear at all
For all the Spirit's might
Eimin digested this information for a while. He, unlike most, knew exactly what the Light of the Four could do. Haku knew this as well, and they were probably the only two, aside from Alem himself, who did know. In truth, it was really the Spirit of the Four who was truly to be feared.
With his sway in the Fire Nation, the Spirit could soon be taken care of.
It was after long deliberation that Eimin spoke again.
"Why are you telling me these things?"
Haku glanced down and Eimin smiled. "Furthermore, why are you betraying your sworn liege and friend?"
"He betrayed me first!" Haku snapped, his eyes flashing furiously and Eimin smirked victoriously.
"Besides," Haku stated gratingly. "This has nothing to do with Alem. I'm sure that should you rule this earth my people would be hard-pressed to continue the life they lead."
Eimin understood now. "If you join me, and help to assure my victory, I can vouch for the safety of your people in this new era."
Haku regarded him silently for a moment before nodding. "I will accept your words, but know that if you recall them, I will kill you."
That was the simple truth, and Eimin knew it. There would be nothing else between these two to bind them, only their words, and that was enough. Few still would bind themselves so completely on mere speech, but the two we speak of were two of the Eldest, and so still understood the mutual pacts like these.
Haku stood. "I will go now. I will return at first light."
Eimin nodded but did not bother to stand as Haku went out, but his mind was in a whirl. In one moment his back-up plan had become his primary plan. His well-placed pawns had become annoyingly spread out, and the key to his new plan was somewhere in the Achlys Mountains.
Well, Zyperis had never failed to show up when he was needed. He had no reason to believe he wouldn't now. So, Eimin decided to wait for a little while. He had never really been patient.

Shasa sighed, an inane curiosity taking over her.
“Can you tell me more about them?”
Nen glanced up from the tea she was sipping. “Zyperis and Shiroten?”
“Specifically Shiroten. How did he become like this? There has to be more to it.”
“Perhaps you'd like to know the whole story.”
Shasa nodded, and together they went back years, specifically nine.
Nine years was a long time to anyone, and Nen sighed as she drifted back, drawing on the memories.
“I'll begin on that day, the last day…”

A group of four traveled down the beaten path without much attention for anything around them. A tall man with dark hair and even darker eyes led the group, followed by a lean almost frail looking woman with determination in her eyes, a young boy, Fire Nation from his looks with pale gold eyes, and another young boy with dark hair and pale skin brought up the rear. Both boys were about ten years old.
The golden-eyed boy was followed by two wolf pups, who played as much as they scouted the trail ahead.
The dark-haired boy was trying desperately to keep up with the others but suddenly an outcrop of rock caught his foot and sent him sprawling.
The other boy, the one with gold eyes, stopped and turned back.
Are you tired already, Shiroten?”
Shiroten pushed himself up and wiped dirt from the corner of his mouth.
No. I tripped.”
Clumsy idiot…” the elder muttered under his breath.
Zyperis!” their father said sharply when he noticed the elder of the two had stopped.
Zyperis didn't act as if he had heard, merely watched as his brother regained his feet. For a moment their gaze met, Shiroten glaring and Zyperis observing, before Zyperis turned and continued on.
Shiroten ran the back of his fist over his mouth again, trying to eradicate the traces of dirt once more before hurrying to catch up.
The hours passed and soon Shiroten could barely put one foot in front of the other. No one seemed to notice this except Zyperis, because Eimin was studiously keeping Nen's attention and pointedly ignoring Shiroten. Zyperis knew that their father was trying to make the boy stronger, but he kept forgetting that his younger brother was only human, a human missing half his soul at that.
Still the hours passed, and there was no end in sight. Shiroten was practically sleeping as he walked. They'd been walking the entire day without stopping. The young child was going to collapse
Zyperis stopped, dropped his pack on the side of the road, sat down with his back against a tree, and closed his eyes.
Zyperis,” Eimin said warningly.
I'm tired.” Zyperis replied without emotion. Shiroten took advantage of the moment, collapsing face down on the ground beside Zyperis and he just lay there.
Eimin watched this and then returned his attention to his elder son.
There is a town just beyond the next hill. We will stay there tonight.”
Shiroten and I will join you and Lady Nen once I have rested.”
Zyperis cracked an eye, watching his father's reaction. He didn't appear to be angry as he should be, but Zyperis couldn't afford to leave any room for argument. After what seemed an age, Eimin nodded. He and Nen turned and continued on down the path towards the nameless town.
Shiroten just lay on the ground, not bothering to pick himself up and rest properly. His water skin was full and he was thirsty but lacked the strength to untie it, so he just lay prone.
Zyperis sat there with one eye cracked until his ears told him that Eimin and Nen were over the next rise.
Shiroten felt someone taking off his pack gently and carefully and then a small trickle of water flowed over his lips, reminding him of how dry his throat was. He eagerly latched onto the edge of the water-skin with his lips and drank, desperately sucking the water to him.
That's enough.”
Zyperis shouldered both packs and the water-skins and stood. Shiroten cracked his eyes open to see his brother extending his hand. He hesitated for only a moment before taking the proffered hand and Zyperis pulled him to his feet.
They had only walked a few feet when Eimin appeared before them. The only change of Zyperis' facial expression was a slight narrowing of the eyes. Shiroten, however; showed open surprise.
Stay here, Shiroten. We will return at sunset.”
Zyperis automatically lowered his pack and began to sit down again.
No Zyperis. You will come with me.”
Gold eyes met black, and neither one would back down.
Go.”
Zyperis turned but Shiroten waved his hand from where he sat on the ground by their packs.
I'll be fine.”
Zyperis showed no reaction to this turn of events but followed Eimin wordlessly into the town. Shiroten laid his head on the pack and went to sleep.
The hours passed and soon sunset was upon them. With their new supplies, Eimin gave Zyperis his pack and began to lead them out of town…on the opposite side of which Shiroten was waiting. Zyperis noticed this and without breaking stride, he inquired as to why.
Are we not going back for Shiroten?”
Eimin didn't break stride either, caught up in the rivalry between him and his son.
No. I do not care for him anymore and he is a burden.”
Zyperis' eyes narrowed; his mind working. That night when they set up camp, he kept a careful eye on his father so as not to alert him to his plans.
Nen was carefully writing down the day's happenings. Zyperis watched her for a moment and wondered how Eimin had recruited her. She seemed to be trying to prove to herself that it wasn't a bad dream. He smiled.
Eimin looked up. “Where's Zyperis?”
Nen looked around. She could see his pack, but there was no sign of the boy anywhere.
Shiroten just happened to glance up and see Zyperis walking up the path towards him. He immediately sprang to his feet and gathered up his pack. Zyperis paused a few feet away and Shiroten grinned.
"Hey Zippy!"
Something passed over Zyperis' face and he sighed and muttered 'baka' under his breath. Shiroten hefted his pack.
"Well I'm rested and ready to go so let's..."
"You're not going."
"...get going and...what?"
"You're not going. Father says you are holding us back."
Shiroten stared blankly at his brother. "Zyperis..."
"He sent me to tell you to grow stronger and then come find us again. If you are stronger, then you won't hold us back anymore."
Zyperis then turned and began walking back towards the town. Shiroten slammed his fist down on a jutting rock in the path. Zyperis froze as the scent of blood filled the air. He spun around and stared at the blood dripping down the side of the rock from Shiroten's hand.
"Shiroten..."
"I swear to you, Zyperis, that I will become stronger."
Zyperis let the slightest smile creep onto his face as he turned and headed back. Shiroten watched until his brother faded into the darkness.

Nen glanced up. “I think that's enough for tonight.”
Shasa stared at her. “You mean, Eimin just left him?”
Nen nodded, preoccupied by something outside. “Yes and Zyperis became less and less defiant until he began to follow Eimin's every word without question. But now, I feel that our world is about to reverse itself.”
“What?”
Slowly, a broad smile found its way across Nen's face, the first true smile she'd shown since the birth of her baby girl. Shasa's eyes narrowed slightly.
“Nen, what is it?”
“I can't wait to see Zyperis' reaction when he realizes Shiroten is here.”
“What?”
But Nen was up and in the hall in a moment, half walking/half running towards the front of the temple. Shasa was right behind her. Nen gathered up her skirts and ran happily, her braided hair flying out behind her. She slid to a stop in front of a large dark red dragon that nuzzled her in recognition. The dragon's rider slid down from the saddle and Shasa's first impression was that the being in front of her was simply perfect.
Dressed in Fire Nation colors from head to toe, his armor was spotless, not a tie out of place. The crimson cloak he wore fell in just the right way around him, his golden eyes captured the sun's purest glow, the color of his skin was not too pale yet not too dark, and his dark hair was the purest hue of black, pulled back in the traditional Fire Nation topknot with the excess hanging down to his shoulder blades.
Not a hair out of place.
Shasa even felt flawed as he turned towards the sisters, but Nen bowed, her smile still mimicking the sun.
“Lord Zyperis, I was expecting you.”
He blinked, and the illusion of living marble was broken. “Oh, hello Nen.”
She straightened and he stood, completely relaxed. “Perhaps one might wonder why I was expected.”
Nen blinked and then laughed. “Oh, I just had a feeling. Just like Haku's news probably won't be good.”
From behind them came voices.
“I told you to wait for me outside!”
“You were taking too long!”
From within the temple came Haku and Kanna, clearly having a heated discussion. Everyone paused, including them, as the sun broke through the clouds.
Zyperis bowed slightly to Haku. “Haku-sama,”
Haku blinked. “It is strange to see you being respectful to me, Zyperis.”
Zyperis straightened, and Shasa was surprised to see little to no emotion on his face.
“It is not strange. I know when I am in the presence of one stronger than I am, and perhaps to show respect is something to be done.”
Shasa didn't know how somebody could sound so bored, but Zyperis had achieved it. Now she understood how Nen didn't quite understand Zyperis. She would've expected the son of Eimin to be as ruthless, arrogant, and cold as he was, but Zyperis didn't think any of them merited any of his interest. She could almost see it in his eyes. He did what Eimin told him because a confrontation was too troublesome and he dealt with them because it was the best thing to do.
Haku tilted his head and viewed the child before him. Could this be the same apprentice he had encountered from the Old World? He sighed, and closed his eyes.
“Come Kanna. Let's go.”
Kanna, who'd been staring at Zyperis open-mouthed, nodded and ran to catch up to her brother, who was already halfway across the courtyard. Zyperis followed their progress with his eyes until they vanished into the woods. Without returning his gaze to the goddesses, he sighed.
“I suspect that Father will wish to speak with me now.” He sighed again and shrugged.
“Lord Zyperis,” Nen calmly said to get his attention, which he gave lightly.
“Lord Shiroten is within.”
Zyperis spun around, for the first time since arriving at the temple showing emotion. Surprised, the formal way of speaking that he chose vanished.
“Shiroten…is here?”
Nen nodded. “He's resting right now.”
Shasa couldn't be sure, but some part of her was certain that Zyperis had smiled. An instant later, the calm collected and emotionless prince was back before them and he handed the reins of his dragon to Nen.
“It would please me if you would take care of him.”
Nen took the reins and rubbed the dragon's snout. “I'd love to, my prince. Come now, Sainan.”
The dragon calmly followed Nen as she led him outside the temple walls. Shasa started to follow her sister but stopped as she came alongside Zyperis. She felt frozen in place but it was merely Zyperis' gaze upon her. Blue eyes met golden and she almost fainted again. His gaze was so scrutinizing. Rather than looking at her, he looked through her. Instinctively, her hand went to her stomach, thinking of the child.
“You are Shasa, goddess of the Water and wife of Agni.”
She blinked and nodded. Nen stopped and watched them over her shoulder.
Zyperis frowned. It seems that he has succeeded in capturing the four goddesses, and yet he lets the strongest of them walk around freely. What purpose could this serve?
His eyes flicked over her.
And she carries a child. Too many innocent lives are at stake in this war. I do not care but…
Zyperis turned and walked into the temple.

Aang was guiding Appa and scanning the land below for a good landing spot when the image of Avatar Roku appeared to him, hovering in mid-air.
“Roku…” he whispered.
“Come with me, Aang. There is something you need to see.”
Aang nodded, and to those in the saddle, his arrows began to glow. Zuko and Katara quickly got to their feet, rushing to the front.
“What's happening?”
“He's going into the Spirit World!” Katara supplied as Zuko caught the limp Avatar.
Zuko growled nearly inaudibly. “Great, just great, now who's going to fly this overgrown air-rhino?”
Katara grinned. “I think I can handle it. You just lay Aang on my sleeping bag.”
Zuko complied and then sat by Katara on Appa's head. She grinned at him. “Look's like you're feeling better.”
He blinked. “When wasn't I?”
“You looked really depressed when we left the Northern Water Tribe.”
Zuko shrugged. “I was tired of staying in one place. I've always been a bit of a roamer. Don't get me wrong, home is great, but…”
She smiled, knowing where he was headed and what he was trying to hide. “You know, if everything that can go wrong does go wrong, you can always come live with us in the Southern Water Tribe.”
Instantly, Zuko's potentially bad mood vanished and he laughed. “Thanks for the offer, but I've had enough of cold and wet for one lifetime.”
Katara laughed and Zuko looked down over the passing waves; his smile vanished.
“Katara, take him lower.”
She glanced at him and complied, her own smile disappearing at the tone of Zuko's voice. “What is it?”
“I'm not sure, just get out of this fog.”
She nodded and just as they broke free, Zuko dove off of Appa's head into the water and disappeared. Sokka jumped up at Katara's cry and Appa landed in the waves.
“Zuko!”