Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Prophesied ❯ Missing ( Chapter 22 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Even though I'm the sacrifice
You won't try for me, not now
Though I'd die to know you love me
I'm all alone
Isn't someone missing me?”
--Missing by Evanescence

Chapter 22: Missing
She ran through the woods with the ice wolves right behind her. Her sleek crimson coat was stained darker by the blood that flecked from her wounds. Her wings were plastered to her body, delicate feathers torn askew. The wolves were more at home in the woods that she was, for she was an open creature, and they were gaining on her easily. Her alicorn was shining a deep rose with her distress but, ignoring the pain in her muscles, she forced herself to run just a little faster.
The prey and her predators burst from the woods. Just south of them was the Earth Kingdom city of Tasha, but none of them paid it any mind. There was an open gorge in front of them, abandoned by the miners, and the wounded Ki-Lin made her way towards it. In pain, her wings loosened, prying themselves from the drying blood and floating just alongside her as she ran.
The ice wolves burst from the trees, the size of small horses and white as the snow they were born from. What ice wolves were doing so far from the mountains she didn't stop to wonder about, just kept running. They caught up with the tiring Sora and one snapped at her flanks. She was too tired to fight back and just put on an extra bit of speed. Without breaking stride, she leapt out into the space above the gorge.
If anyone had been watching, they would've been treated to a very rare sight.
The Sora Ki-Lin unfurled her wings and they hit the open air in a picturesque scene, her knees held up and back legs thrown out to give her more propulsion. Quickly, her wings caught the air and bore her on the wind. The wolves leapt after her but, lacking the means to fly, they plummeted to the earth so far below. But the Ki-Lin was in no better condition. Her wings were wounded and couldn't hold her much longer.
An instant later she closed her wings to keep them from breaking and fell to the earth. She hit the side of the gorge, rolling down the rocky earth into a patch of bramble and thorns. There she lay, too weak to move. If any of the ice wolves had survived, she'd be easy prey. With a shuddering breath, she faded into unconsciousness.

The Fire Nation capital loomed ahead of the small ship that had once belonged to Prince Zuko and now carried his crew and uncle. Iroh watched the city he hadn't been to in over three years grow on the horizon with a heavy heart. The city carried many memories, good and bad, but for now, he was too worried about his nephew to worry about himself. Otherwise he would've been wondering about the plans his younger brother had come up with.
Fire Lord Ozai was having a good day, despite his arm being bound and his shoulder twitching in pain every now and then. A very good day. The Fire Sages had something to talk about with him, he was finally meeting with the leader of the disbanded YuuYan archers, and the invasion of the Achlys Mountains was going as smoothly as possible, all thanks to his newest general, Peris. The boy had skills in politics that Ozai had never seen before, not even in his father, Fire Lord Azulon, but his skills on the battlefield were indescribable. He was nearly as good at fire-bending as Princess Azula.
An older official was waiting for him as he reached the war chamber, but though the soldier was reaching into his upper seventies, he was hardly weakened any by amount of age. His body was still lean and hardened by years of training. Though he no longer wore the distinct uniform of the YuuYans, their teachings were still reflected in his eyes.
“Master Yagara,” The Fire Lord said simply.
“Fire Lord,”
“I trust the rebellion has been squashed.”
“Yes, sir.”
“And the troops?”
“Only two archers have repeatedly avoided our attempts to make contact. They are loyal and I'm sure as soon as they know that you are seeking their services, they will return.”
“Who are they?”
“Their names as soldiers are Kumo and Hebi, but their real names are Yashamaru and Li.”
“Yashamaru…as in the son of General Santher?”
“Yes, sir, he was the leader of the Satsugai Ka.”
“The YuuYan assassination division…and you believe they will return?”
Master Yagara nodded, a slight bow in his stance. “Yes, sir. Both Yashamaru and Li are extremely loyal.”

The two YuuYans in question were strolling down an Earth Kingdom road, 300 gold pieces richer though with empty stomachs due to the fact that they couldn't find a safe town to eat in.
“Agni, I am so hungry I could eat a Fire Lord.”
“Li, you're such a baka.”

Fire Lord Ozai nodded. “Thank you, Master Yagara.”
The YuuYan leader nodded and then took his leave. Unlike the Fire Lords before him, Ozai understood that the YuuYans bowed to no man and great care was needed to see that they remained under his authority. Well, he'd kept his generals waiting long enough.
Suddenly, there was a flare of heat from his side. He hissed and glanced down, finding that the Qiang, reclaimed and at his side, was white-hot and setting his robes on fire. A servant saw the dilemma and ran forward with a pitcher of water, which the Fire Lord quickly dropped the Qiang into.
The servant then hurried away after a simple bow to his lord.
Without further hesitation, Ozai entered the war chamber where his generals had deemed to see him.

Ziri was exhausted. His body had been so wired on adrenaline and on the high that the Qiang left him with that he hadn't slept since the Agni Kai. Now he lay limp against the cold wall of his cell, staring at the metal with half-lidded eyes.
The cell was impenetrable, solid metal for all four 8 foot walls except for a small grate at the top of the back wall which allowed fresh air to pour in. The door was fire-sealed and could not be distinguished from the rest of the prison once inside.
Ziri had no idea how much time had passed. He knew his days by when the guards came. They came in the morning with breakfast and at dusk with dinner. Both meals were simply a water skin and two pieces of bread. Surprisingly, the meals weren't half-bad. They weren't the best, but definitely not the worst.
When the guards came this morning, Ziri knew that they wouldn't be happy. He hadn't been hungry last night and hadn't cared this morning, so last night's meal had not been touched.
There came the slight hissing as they prepared to open the cell door and Ziri's eyes fluttered slightly. Then the heavy grating of the door sliding back and the guard came in. Ziri listened as he stepped inside, bent, and then froze.
“What's the meaning of this?”
Ziri said nothing and the guard frowned.
“You plan on starving yourself?”
Again, Ziri said nothing. He was too tired.
“Well, it's not going to work. I'll force feed you if I have to!”
Ziri sighed. “I just wasn't hungry. Leave it. I'll eat it later.”
The guard blinked and then sighed.
“Look, Prince Zuko, I really don't care for this whole situation. Your sister, Princess Azula, is perfectly suited for the throne, but that's not what I'm talking about. No matter what, a father shouldn't do this to his son. I have two, and I know.”
Ziri said nothing. He'd be sure to relay the information to Zuko later. The guard gave him a gentle smile and Ziri's eyes flicked to catch it.
“Just remember, you have a lot of loyal followers in the Fire Nation. People who'd rather see you on the throne than Princess Azula.”
Then the grating and the hissing was back as the guard left, leaving Ziri's breakfast behind as well.
His “I'm not Prince Zuko.” Was half-hearted from being repeated too many times.
Ziri sighed and closed his eyes. He was really glad he wasn't actually the Prince. This was all too confusing. And who was Azula?
Not to mention he wanted to know why he and Zuko looked so much alike.
Finally the exhaustion swept in and Ziri curled up against the floor and slept.

Shiroten lay half-asleep amidst the array of blankets and pillows on his bed. It had been a while since he'd slept on a real bed and he was nearly drunk with the pleasure of it all. On top of that, there was something warm and soft wrapped against his back and something was softly stroking the strands of hair nearest his face.
Or someone.
With a startled cry, Shiroten pushed away from the person and in doing so, fell off the bed, hitting the packed dirt floor hard as well as smacking his head against the corner of his desk.
Slowly sitting up, he massaged the side of his head, the sheets pooled around his waist. A soft chuckle came from the bed.
“Did I frighten you, Sho-sho?”
“What the…Zyperis!”
Shiroten struggled to his feet, grabbing the sheet and holding it around his waist as he turned to face his brother. The other teen was lounging on the bed, a soft smile on his face as he viewed the startled shadow-bender.
After getting over the initial shock, Shiroten smirked.
“Well, you haven't changed a bit.”
Zyperis crawled over the bed and stood in front of his brother and Shiroten took the moment to observe his brother.
Since arriving at the temple, Zyperis had exchanged the heavy Fire Nation armor for a simpler outfit consisting of a loose black shirt, the edges of which disappeared into black high-waist form-fitting pants. The blacks of the outfit were so perfectly matched that you could barely tell where they blended together, from the neck of his shirt to the tip of the black riding boots. The tiniest amount of gold embroidery went down the sides of the boots as well as around the wrists of the sleeves.
Shiroten couldn't help it as his smirk grew into a full smile. Zyperis raised an eyebrow questioningly.
“Maybe you've changed a little bit.”
Zyperis chuckled. “So have you, but you don't see me ranting about it.”
Shiroten blushed in embarrassment. Somehow, Zyperis always made him feel inferior, but the spark he saw in his brother's serpentine eyes let him know that Zyperis was joking.
“Some things deserve to be ranted about, Zippy.”
Suddenly, the mirthful look in his brother's eyes disappeared and Zyperis crossed the distance between in three quick steps. Shiroten automatically shrank back as Zyperis placed his hands on Shiroten's shoulders, firmly. Zyperis' eyes widened in surprise then softened in sadness.
“You don't actually think I'd hurt you, do you Shiroten?”
He quickly embraced his brother before Shiroten could react.
“I've missed you, ototo, but I knew you'd keep your promise.”
There was a moment of awkward silence before Shiroten tried to quietly clear his throat and Zyperis stiffened.
“Um, Zyperis?”
Zyperis sighed, but refused to lessen his grip on his brother.
“Yes, Shiroten?”
“…I'm not wearing anything.”
Zyperis paused, a sly smile creeping its way onto his face.
“There's the sheet. Isn't that big enough?”

A few nuns were making their way down the hall when a loud crash alerted them to a disturbance and they rushed down the hall. They needn't have for anyone on the premises could have heard Shiroten.
“HENTAI! GET OUT OF MY ROOM!”
This was followed by a screen crashing shut and a body hitting the wall opposite the screen.

It took Jun nearly three hours to fully outfit Rou in what she deemed fit for him. Her first instinct had been to let Rou pick what he wanted, but that had led to him admiring Fire Nation armor and wanting to buy half the marketplace, so she took over.
Finally, standing in the shop looking into the full-length mirror, Jun was impressed. She stood back to admire her handiwork with a small smile on her face.
Rou was dressed in a loose white shirt. It had once had nice loose sleeves, but after spending an hour trying to figure out how to tie them so Rou could use his hands, Jun had torn them off. The shirt was tucked into a pair of high waist pants, gray, which were loose but not too loose, but not quite form-fitting.
She'd been very adamant about that.
His boots had come from an old hunter who'd turned merchant down the street. The pair of white boots had come from the skin of an albino saber tooth moose, the hunter claimed, and Jun was beginning to think he was right. Besides, the boots were so soft and supple to allow for free movement and the soles had been serrated to provide extra grip.
They'd come with Jun without much of a fight.
Using the torn sleeves of the shirt, she'd wrapped strips of cloth around his wrists to hide the marks. As a final touch, and with the final piece of cloth, she pulled back his now shoulder length silver hair and tied it in a short ponytail.
In an instant, Rou no longer looked like an over-grown child, but a strong teenager.
“All right, Rou. You can open your eyes.”
Rou's alabaster eyes flicked open and he couldn't suppress a grin.
“I look cool.”
Jun matched his grin. “Yes, you do. I think I did a good job.”
There was a cry outside and Rou snapped his head around, flying out the door with Jun at his heels.
In the streets, a couple of Fire Nation soldiers were harassing an older man. Others in the marketplace were ignoring what was happening though they wanted to stop it; Jun could see it in their eyes. What she didn't see was Rou stepping forward.
One of the soldiers raised his hand to strike the man when his wrist was caught, mid-movement. He stared through hazel eyes at the boy who had dared to interfere.
“Leave him alone.”
The other soldier knocked the man down and placed a foot on his back.
“What are you going to do about it, boy?”
The soldier who was held by Rou took advantage of his inattention and snapped his wrist free, bringing the same hand up to back slap Rou. The movement was stopped dead when a whip caught his wrist and sent him flying backwards.
“He has me.”
Jun cracked the whip for good measure. “And anyone who messes with him, messes with me.”
There were murmurs from the gathering crowd and a group of Fire Nation soldiers came from within one of the stores. One of them was clearly a high-ranking officer.
“You're the bounty hunter, Jun.”
“Former.” She corrected and the officer smiled slightly.
“You have done many services for the Fire Nation. I am willing to overlook these events if you will stand down now.”
“And if we don't?” Rou stated indignantly. “Should we stand-by and watch your men beat an innocent man?”
The soldier who'd fallen to Jun's whip sat up holding his arm. “He owes us taxes.”
“Everyone owes taxes, even you. Would you like to be beaten?”
The soldier fell silent. The officer smirked and took a few steps towards Rou. Jun stepped quickly forward.
“He fights for innocents. A strange companion for a bounty hunter.”
Jun stepped up right beside the two. “I am not a bounty hunter anymore, and I swear, if you touch him…”
“And what happens when you falter? It doesn't seem that he can take care of himself.”
Rou glared at the officer. “She fights because those who fight me…die.”
Jun stared at the child beside her, but he wouldn't back down. He was trembling, what with she wasn't sure, but the glow in his eyes said that they shouldn't continue. She turned to the officer.
“Go, now, before you make him angrier.”
The officer stared at her for a moment and then laughed.
“You two aren't worth the trouble anyway.”
He turned and walked away without looking back, his soldiers just steps behind him. Jun looked at Rou, who was staring at the ground with a sheepish look on his face.
“I'm sorry. I don't know what came over me.”
She laid a hand on his shoulder. “It's okay, Rou. It's not your fault.”
“Will you teach me?”
Jun blinked, her smile fading into puzzlement. “Teach you what?”
“How to fight? To defend myself? So, I won't…won't have to use that…power.”
Jun looked at him, her eyes soft, and the tiniest smile tugged at the corners of her mouth.
“Of course.” She placed an arm around his shoulders. “Let's go.”
Rou nodded, and they headed out of the town.

The town itself was a better place after that day, the people somehow finding the strength to rise up and chase the Fire Nation out of their town. The warriors that fought to free the village found themselves thinking of the little warrior in white and the rumors began…speaking of the warrior, calling him Shiroi Ryuu.

Qing-Yuan made her way to her lord's room where he awaited her. Entering, she bowed her respect to him.
“My Lord Eimin,”
He smiled. “Qing-Yuan, It's been a while hasn't it?”
She nodded. “But I knew you would return, and I waited.”
“I knew you would. You were one of my more faithful followers.”
She bowed deeply. “I thank you.”
His smile grew. “It's true. Which is why I would also like to know what you have been doing while I've been gone.”
Qing-Yuan's heart stopped. “M-my Lord?”
“That's not a problem, is it?”
“O-of course not.”
The sharp bite of his magic came without warning, piercing into her subconscious, her memories, leaving behind a searing pain. She gasped but opened her mind to him, knowing it would be worse if she tried to hide anything.
Eimin stemmed through the flurry of images and memories that flooded to him from Qing-Yuan's opened mind.
My sisters and I will be happy to accommodate you and your friends, young Avatar.”
Avatar…useless brat. He pushed on.
A vision of a young girl in blue. “I know you are the Daughter of Nen.”
He smirked. So you're the child she gave her freedom for. That may prove useful.
Then a vision, a teenage bounty hunter, strong and willful with a teenage boy standing next to her, frightened. She's protecting him.
If he is as powerful as you say he is, I'm sure the Fire Lord will pay a great deal for him.”
As they walked away, the boy turned and looked back with fear but triumph in his eyes.
That's…The revelation sent Eimin sprawling back out of Qing-Yuan's mind and she looked at him questioningly as he began to laugh.
“That…that foolish Ki-Lin!”
“My Lord?”
“He…he made me believe…Alem returned to Origin! But he's here! And he's…he's human!”
Eimin fell back into the chair, laughter still rolling from him and Qing-Yuan shrank back in fear, for what could make a God of Death laugh?
“Think of it, Qing-Yuan! The one Element, the Key, the one being on this planet that can stop me…is a teenage boy!”
Qing-Yuan blinked and smiled sheepishly, thinking of how she had held that boy captive.
Eimin couldn't stop laughing. “And that stupid Ki-Lin thought he could trick me!”
Qing-Yuan took her leave, slipping out the door like a innocent…or so she thought.
“Where are you going?”
“Does my Lord still have need of me?”
Eimin grinned. “Well, we still have one matter of business to take care of.”
Qing-Yuan froze and Eimin stood. “You knew I would return, but you did doubt.”
Qing-Yuan gasped, her hand flying to her throat. “M-my Lord, I-I would…”
“And you thought you'd do something…just in case. You made a scheme…to control the Power of the Four. How?”
She never hesitated. “A spell on the Heiki.”
“An interesting idea. You always were a brilliant one, but…you did wrong.”
Qing-Yuan fell to her knees, not bothering to face her lord.
“Please forgive me, Lord Eimin! I doubted!”
“I know you are sorry, but you must be punished. I'm in a good mood, so I'll be lenient…this time.”
A piercing scream ripped through the silence and birds took flight from the forest around. Haku looked up and watched them as they winged away, and then sighed before entering the temple once more.

Sokka leapt forward and joined Katara on Appa's head while Aang sat in his meditative position, consumed in the blue glow of the Spirit World. They scanned the roiling waves of the ocean for Zuko.
“What is he doing now?”
Katara shrugged. “I don't know. Can you see him?”
“No…wait, there!”
Sokka pointed and Katara spun Appa in the direction, now seeing the flash of blue from Zuko's shirt. The young prince was swimming strongly through the waves towards something only he could see. Katara felt a surge of pride, thinking of how she was the one who had taught him to swim.
Zuko pushed himself forward through the water, remembering his lessons with Katara and folding his hands to curve the water around him. He wasn't sure what he had seen in the water, but he was sure it was something worth jumping into the foul-smelling, wet, salty, wet, rough, wet, stinging, wet, and cold ocean. Did I mention wet?
Then his hand hit something solid and he reached his target. It was an elk, female, with a young girl as a rider. The girl had tied her hands to the elk's halter and her head rested just behind the elk's ear, barely above the water. The elk determinedly paddled on, keeping her own head above water and protecting her mistress.
Zuko took her halter and guided the elk over to him, where she rested her head against his shoulder happily. He placed his arms around her neck and checked the girl, who was alive but dehydrated and probably hadn't eaten in days.
Katara landed Appa in the water a few feet away.
“Who is it, Zuko?”
“A Water Tribe girl by her clothing. There's an elk with her. We need to get to dry land.”
Katara looked around, as did Sokka. “There's an island over there. Follow us.”
Zuko tugged gently on the elk's halter.
“All right,” he said soothingly. “We're going to follow the big fluffy thing and then you can rest, okay?”
The elk grunted in response and they followed Appa, the bison flying slowly to allow for their harder passage, but soon they reached the island.
Zuko's dagger cut the leather strips of the elk's halter and, once free, the elk hunkered over to a clearing, collapsed to the ground, and then began munching on the rain-soaked grass. Zuko gathered the girl into his arms and laid her next to the fire that Sokka had built in a moment using some spare firewood they had.
“Who do you think she is?” Sokka inquired.
Zuko snorted lightly. “You're asking me? You're from the Water Tribe.”
“Boys, don't bicker.” Katara said, chastising. “Try to wake her up, Zuko, but gently.”
“What do you take me for?”
Katara was about to answer but Zuko silenced her with a look. Sokka got Aang off of Appa and laid him down on Katara's sleeping bag before returning to the unknown girl.
Zuko gently patted the side of her face while supporting her in the crook of his arm.
“Wake up,” he crooned gently. “You're safe now, wake up.”
It seemed his method worked for the girl's eyes fluttered and then opened fully, coming to rest on Zuko's face just above hers. He smiled and there was a moment of silence as a huge smile broke over the girl's face.
“Ziri!” she shouted as she surged up and hugged Zuko.
Sokka fell back with a shout of surprise. Momo flew up from his spot on Zuko's shoulder into the trees and hissed at the girl. Nakara blinked, as did Katara. Zuko never looked more surprised.
“Um…have we met?”
The girl pulled out of the hug but her smile never wavered, her arms coming to rest on Zuko's upper arms.
“It's me, Ziri! Your sister, Midori! I was sure that you'd been killed in the raid, but here you are! Oh, I…”
Zuko placed a hand over her mouth and she blinked.
“I'm not Ziri.”
“Hmhmhm mhmhhhmmh mmhm.”
Zuko blinked and then removed his hand.
Midori sighed. “But you have to be. You look just like my brother.”
Now it was Zuko's turn to sigh. “My name is Zuko and…”
He didn't get any further. Midori shrieked and fell away from him, crawling over Sokka in the process. In her haste, she ended up curled up behind the Water Tribe warrior, viewing Zuko over his shoulder. Sokka met Zuko's gaze and shrugged.
“…and I was the Fire Prince.” Zuko finished rather solemnly.
“Was?” Midori repeated.
“Long story and I'm too lazy to tell you.” Zuko stated.
Katara smiled and placed a hand on Zuko's arm. “If I may?”
Zuko shrugged and Katara faced Midori, who blinked over Sokka's shoulder.
“I'm sorry if we startled you. Zuko found you floating with your elk…”
“Zana!” Midori rushed up and over to her elk while Katara blinked and Zuko rolled his eyes.
“Wow, she's more eccentric than you Katara.”
Katara glared at her brother. Midori happily embraced her elk.
“Oh, Zana, how can I ever thank you enough? You saved my life!”
Katara was not to be put out, however.
“Um, Midori was it?'
Midori turned around. “It was.”
“Well, I'm Katara and that's my brother, Sokka. You've already met Zuko, of course. Over there's Aang, the Avatar.”
Midori blinked. “Why's he all blue?”
Sokka grinned. “Because he's gone all Avatar-stuff on us.”
Zuko rolled his eyes and Katara groaned, but Midori giggled.
“Avatar-stuff, that's funny.”
Sokka beamed.

Aang stared around at the world he had entered. He was definitely in a part of the Spirit World he'd never seen before. He was in a large, thick forest, the sunlight beaming through the trees and the chirping of birds all around him. Aang grinned as he saw a small hamster mole and her children scamper across the path he stood on. Unlike the swamp, this was an overall pleasant place.
He heard a crashing behind him and turned around to find Roku, but found that the previous Avatar had mysteriously vanished.
“Roku!”
There was no response and Aang shrugged, surging on ahead. He felt really slow, running without his bending, but he felt a strong pull, an urgency to get to whatever was ahead.

Fire Lord Ozai entered the war chamber, his arm still bandaged, and he found that the generals were already having a heated debate over the fate of his son.
“What if the boy's story is true? What if he isn't Prince Zuko?”
“I listened to that madness all the way on return to Sozun! It's pure raving idiocy!”
“I've listened to it too! Many times!”
The Fire Lord cleared his throat and the debates fell silent. They bowed their heads while he passed and took his place on the throne.
“Fire Lord, if I may?”
Ozai was surprised to see General Peris there; the other generals giving the teenager hearty glares, but Ozai nodded and allowed Peris to speak. Peris lowered his head calmly and spoke softly, as always.
“I too have heard the boy's story. He claims to have grown up in Cascada and having recently moved to Sharra after an incident. Sharra was destroyed by General Zade within the past few weeks. So it is possible that his story is true. Perhaps he isn't Prince Zuko.”
He waved his hand as if this were of no consequence at all. One of the other generals stood in a flourish, glaring at the young general.
“Are you saying that we should just let this brat go?”
Peris laughed, actually laughed. A vein appeared in the general's forehead, pulsing with his withheld anger.
“No! That's not what I'm saying at all. Of course, whether or not he is Prince Zuko, he did attempt to take our Fire Lord's life.”
Peris turned to look the Fire Lord full in the eyes. “The law declares the only punishment for such a crime…is death.”
There was a moment's pause and then the Fire Lord nodded.
And so it was written in the records that Prince Zuko would be executed in three days' time for the crime of attempted assassination.

Zyperis knelt, sitting on his feet with his eyes closed, the window open before him pointed to the west. Eimin stood nearby in the shadows of the room. The sunlight streamed in as it hovered west from the straight bow of noon, enveloping Zyperis in its rays.
The elder Prince of Darkness appeared completely relaxed, but one need only to take a second look at his position to understand. While his hands rested on his knees, the long lacquered nails were hooked slightly into the black cloth of his pants. Slight furrows appeared in his brow with the concentration.
Manipulating someone's appearance and the sound of their voice wasn't really a big deal, requiring only a cross of Spirit and Air. Manipulating someone's mind to allow such changes from half-way across the world however, was slightly more difficult. It would also cost the soul of the body being used.
“Is it done?” Eimin inquired.
Zyperis cut off his link to the servant he had stolen and nodded even as he felt them die.
“The Spirit of the Four will die in three days' time.”
Eimin smiled. “And then their power will be useless. There is only Alem to take care of now.”
Zyperis opened his eyes and turned his head to view his father. “And how will you do that?”
Eimin turned and walked towards the door. It was over his shoulder that he responded.
“I will destroy him before he has time to realize his full power.”
“That seems dishonorable.”
Eimin spun around to find that Zyperis hadn't even moved.
“I didn't ask for your opinion! Am I to wait until he has regained his full strength? Am I to be Sealed again? No! I won't wait any longer!”
“How many times have you dreamed of a final showdown between you and the brat that has thwarted you even since Origin? Will you give that up so easily?”
“Is everyone against me? I won't wait for him to grow up!”
“Then give him incentive to grow up faster. Make him learn to control his powers.”
Eimin blinked, staring at the back of his son's head, and then he grinned. Zyperis smirked. Eimin's grin grew.
“I will need to borrow your gift again.”
“Later.” Zyperis stated simply as he stood. Eimin stopped short at this defiance.
“Why?”
Zyperis tried not to remark on how much his father now sounded like a child. “It takes a lot of concentration and energy to manipulate a human soul. I'm tired and I have a headache. I'm going to go rest and then I'll do what you wish.”
“When?”
“Tomorrow, perhaps.”
Eimin was unable to speak as Zyperis sauntered past him and down the hall once again, heading towards where Shiroten's room was.
Slipping inside the dark room, Zyperis found that Shiroten was sleeping again, curled up on the immense bed, one arm tucked behind his head and the other stretched out in front of him as he lay on his side. Zyperis quietly and carefully lay down beside his brother, wrapping one arm around him and pulling Shiroten against him. He rested his forehead on the space between his brother's shoulder blades and sighed contentedly.
“I'm sorry, Shiroten,” he whispered. “Sorry for all you've had to go through. But, we're together now. I'll never let you go again.”

Slowly, the clouds rolled over and it began to rain. Perhaps rain is too light a word. Zuko, with Aang on his back, trudged through the mud looking like the angry fire-bender he was, described the falling water as angry tears ravaging the land it took birth from. It took every ounce of his tightly won control, honed and perfected over the years, to keep from cursing everything within sight as his entire body was soaked through. Appa took random moments to shake the water from his fur, something that Katara and Sokka were apparently used to. Midori had fallen quiet, thank the gods.
Katara took one look at Zuko and promptly laughed out loud. He glared at her but was rather helpless being so completely soaking wet. Not that he hadn't been before, after jumping into the ocean to retrieve Midori, but still…this was taking it to a new level.
Sokka glanced over as Zuko shifted the Avatar on his back. Less than a week ago he would've never trusted the Fire Prince to be holding Aang right now, and there were still levels that he didn't trust Zuko on, but somehow, he couldn't help but feel safe. Zuko seemed strange as he was now, and there were a lot of unsolved problems in his personality, but he wasn't trying to kill them anymore.
“Where are we going?” Midori asked quietly.
“The Earth Kingdom city of Tasha, where we hope to find Aang an earth-bending teacher.”
“That's why we're going? I thought we were just going because Hakoda told us to.”
“That's not why!” Sokka yelled, waving his arms to emphasize his point. Zuko blinked. “We're going because we need to find an earth-bending teacher! Our father has nothing to do with this! And don't speak about him so familiarly!”
“What am I supposed to call him? Mister Water Tribe guy?”
“That's it!”
Sokka attacked Zuko using wild and obviously not thought out hand-to-hand combat and as Zuko easily dodged each blow, he cried out in annoyance.
“Hey! Still carrying Avatar here! Ow!” he shouted just as Sokka managed to graze his shoulder. He spun easily despite Aang's weight and brought his heel up in a roundhouse kick to Sokka's stomach. The Water Tribe warrior slammed into a tree but was quickly on his feet, running towards Zuko, who braced for impact.
“Boys, please! Stop fighting!” Katara called when there came a low rumbling from beneath them, far below the rain-soaked ground and then the earth beneath Zuko and Sokka collapsed.
Moments later, the ground where Katara and Midori were standing collapsed as well, sending all of them crashing down into the earth.
The sullen darkness was all around them and Katara was the first one to string together a few coherent words, amidst groans from Sokka and a few strings of curses from Zuko.
“Is everybody okay?”
“I'm alive.” Zuko said sullenly. “And so is the Avatar.”
“I'm okay.” Midori whispered.
“WOOHOO! That was fun! Who's up for round 2?”
Sokka's outburst was met with an sullen and awkward silence in which, though he couldn't see them, Sokka could feel their glares.
“Okay, I'll shut up.”
“Thank you.”
“Ow! Who's that?”
“It's the Avatar, idiot.”
“Oh. Okay, got him.”
A flame lit up in Zuko's hand and illuminated the cave. Sokka now had Aang on his back and the three boys were standing a few feet away from the girls. Katara stood and helped Midori up and all together they stood and looked around their surroundings.
They were in an underground cavern, the light from Zuko's flame sparkling off the salt crystals embedded in the cavern walls. The hole through which they fell was several hundred feet above them.
“What happened?” Midori inquired.
“The ground was already unstable due to this cavern and with the rain and our combined weight collapsed.”
“Oh.”
Katara sighed. “It's too high too climb and the walls are slick with rain.”
Zuko moved his hand to illuminate the interior. “There are tunnels. Maybe if we follow them they'll lead out.”
“Look!” Midori shouted. “Running water!”
In truth, a small stream ran down one of the tunnels.
“Water always returns to the ocean.” Katara stated, and so the group started down the tunnel.
An hour later and Zuko was not very happy. He was carrying Aang once more but that wasn't the problem. What was the problem was that they were trudging through knee-deep ice cold water and he was already soaked through.
“I regret submitting this idea for consideration.”
Katara laughed. “It's just a little water, Zuko!”
“That doesn't mean I have to like it.”
Midori and Katara laughed. Suddenly, Zuko stopped and turned his head, the glow of the Avatar's eyes and arrows bright against the close tunnel.
“Um, am I the only one who hears that?”
Katara turned around. “No, and I feel it too.”
“What is it?” Sokka inquired.
Midori shivered. “I feel it too, it's a fast-moving displacement of water caused by…”
At that moment, a huge surge of water appeared, cascading down the tunnel, filling it from top to bottom.
“Who cares? Run!” Zuko shouted as they all did so.
The water seemed to thin as they ran, becoming only a few inches deep and splashing up as their feet hit it, but they soon realized why.
Before them was an immense waterfall, surging down at least several hundred feet before erupting over sharp rocks to an aquifer of water below. They were trapped beneath the waterfall and the torrent of water behind them.
Katara and Midori spun around, both bringing their hands up in the same motion. As the torrent reached them, it parted in a `V' around them, spilling off the sides of the waterfall. They didn't have time to marvel over the previously unknown fact that Midori could water-bend as Zuko and Sokka raised their arms to protect their faces from the sharp pricks of water that hit them like bullets.
The power of the water was too much for the two benders, even combined, especially since the water would not stop flowing. Katara and Midori slowly slid back until they lost control of the water completely. The torrents hit the group hard, sending them flying over the cliff to the icy depths below.

Aang stopped and bent over his knees, gasping for air. Suddenly, he heard voices in front of him. He parted the branches and looked in on a clearing. He gasped at what he saw.
Agni was there, an immense golden dragon, comforting what was apparently a large black/brown wolf, Mamoru.
“There's nothing you could've done, Mamoru, but we have to stop Eimin, now that we know who is behind this.”
Mamoru nodded. “I just wish…I could've done more. Now…now he has Makani, Kaia, and Shasa.”
An involuntary tremor wracked through Agni's body and he sighed, staring at the ground.
“We can only do so much.”
The wolf rested his head against the dragon's shoulder. “I wish Alem was here.”
“It's foolish wishing for something that won't happen.”
“Why? Why won't it happen?”

There was a flurry of gold and Agni appeared in his human form. Aang gasped as he recognized the man he had met so long ago. Then he'd been accompanied by a woman in blue. Shasa?
Another flush of wind and Mamoru emerged, human as well. He was curled up on himself, his knees tucked to his chest and his arms around his knees. His soft green eyes followed the Fire God as he turned to watch the sun set.

“Do you know what really happened to Alem?”
“He didn't just disappear, did he?”
Agni shook his head. “After Eimin was Sealed, Alem didn't want him ever to escape, so he Sealed himself to prevent that from happening.”
“But if Alem was Sealed, then how…”
“He sent his spirit into the human race, to ever be born into another child, reincarnated until body and soul can once more be reunited.”
“Then if we find this child…!”
Agni sighed. “Only one can unlock Alem's Seal. He did it the same way with Eimin's Seal.”
“Then who?”
“The Spirit of the Four.”
“Who's that?”
“I'm not sure.”
Agni knelt and drew five symbols in the dirt, four of which were the symbols of the nations.
“There's Katara, the Daughter of Nen. Kioko, the Daughter of Kaia. The Son of Samir, which is currently unknown.”
Mamoru snorted and Agni grinned. “And, of course, my son, Zuko.”

Aang froze, one sentence reverberating through his head. The Daughter of Nen belongs to the Son of Agni and no other! You shall not touch her again!
He had kissed her at the North Pole to tell Shasa exactly who she belonged to, that no Son of Agni would take her from him, but if it was Zuko!? They already had a strong friendship, he'd seen that. What if something more had developed on that island? No. He wouldn't let anyone take her from him, not now that he had her, especially not Zuko.

Agni continued. “The Spirit of the Four is just that, a representative of Spirit. He, or she, is the one who will absorb and manipulate the Light of the Four. It is his gift, and only he can unlock Alem.”
“So, Alem made sure that he wouldn't be awakened until there was dire need. He knew that Eimin would return.”
“He had no doubt of it.”
Mamoru sighed. “Okay. We find the Spirit, we go get him to unlock Alem, and there! Problem solved.”
“Only one person knows where Alem is Sealed.”
Mamoru's head shot up. “Don't tell me…Haku?”
Agni nodded.
“We're doomed.”

Aang didn't hear any of this. He'd already pushed himself out of the Spirit World, desperate to return and eradicate their Zuko problems, but he found that his friends weren't in any better condition than he was emotionally. He opened his eyes to find them all underwater.
He himself was slipping away from Zuko, had he been the one carrying him? Sokka was beside him and Katara and some other girl were a few feet above them. They were all unconscious.
This time Aang didn't need his Avatar State. Twisting, he swirled the water around them and they rose up…and up. They rose until he found a ledge a few feet above the waterfall big enough for them all. Aang fell to his knees, gasping for air as the others slowly realized they were free of water and alive.
Katara woke first and she automatically checked the first person she came to, which happened to be Zuko.
“Zuko,” She shook him lightly. “You okay?”
He blinked and sat up partially, both unconscious of her hand resting on his unscarred cheek.
“Yeah, I'm fine. Make sure the others are okay.”
Aang couldn't stand the picture they created and was more than happy when Katara got up and woke Sokka and the other girl. Some of this happiness faded when Zuko walked over and knelt in front of him.
“Good thing you woke up then. Cold water a shock?”
Aang glowered but looked away as he was suddenly afraid to meet Zuko's gaze. “A shock, yes.”
Zuko nodded. “Are you okay?”
Aang blinked. “What do you mean?”
“Well, usually, after the Avatar State…”
“Oh, that wasn't the Avatar State, that was me!” Aang laughed.
Zuko blinked. “Whoa. You've become a water-bending master then, huh?”
“Katara's the master, not me.”
Zuko grinned and shrugged. Aang had carefully watched him throughout the conversation, seeking a hidden purpose or an uncanny affection for Katara, and he was frustrated when he couldn't find either one. Zuko walked away from the Avatar, found some brush growing from the cave walls and made a small fire which they all gathered up to.
Aang stared at Zuko, willing him to give something away, but all the Fire Prince gave away was that he was tired. He'd soon slumped against the cave wall, his eyes closed lightly. The new girl, whose name was Midori, curled up next to him, using his stomach for a pillow. Katara was nodding, and Aang quickly made himself available for her. She curled up against him and slept.
Sokka curled up with Momo.
Aang's gray eyes stayed open as he wasn't really tired. Of course his friends were exhausted from their ordeal, but he had been carried most of the way. He unconsciously smoothed Katara's hair and stared up at the ceiling of the cave. What was he supposed to do now? He had to kill the Fire Lord; that was his only purpose now. Perhaps he wasn't even to have Katara.
With these thoughts, Aang slept.
Above them, above ground, the sun set.

Zyperis woke from his light nap alone. It was dark, but then again, it was always dark in this room. He quickly stood and headed out into the hall. Everything was quiet, except for the sounds of night.
“Shiroten?”
He knew that his brother was a creature of the night but this put all things to end. He sighed and ran a head through his now disheveled hair.
Walking out onto the courtyard, he found his brother locked in an intricate dance of some sort. He danced and twisted through the air and across the smooth surface of the training yard. His arms and hands moved easily with his body.
“What…are you doing?”
Shiroten stopped and looked at his brother who still looked half-asleep.
“Training.”
“To dance.”
Shiroten laughed. “Come on and spar with me.”
“Are you insane? If that's what you call training…”
Zyperis got no further. Something wrapped around his ankle, lifted him into the air, and then hurtled him down into the ground. He wasn't too badly hurt and he sat up sharply, staring at his brother.
“Still think I'm not doing anything, Zippy?”
Zyperis smirked at his brother, who had fallen into a bending stance. He stood and chose two kanji, Fire and Air, the first and last finger.
The battle began.
Fire met shadow as they twisted, attacked, avoided, and counterattacked. Sweat poured from their veins despite the cool night breeze. Gold and silver orbs gleamed in the full moonlight filled with determination and…something else. It couldn't be called amusement, could it? Could Zyperis' gritted teeth be called a grin? Could Shiroten's smirk be from more than just the battle?
Shiroten twisted around, bringing the shadows up into a swirling orb in front of him from which spun a blast of nearly solid shadow. Zyperis met it with an enormous flare of blue fire. As the two blasts burned out, the two sparring ran through their dissipating remains to turn the fight into purely close combat techniques.
Both brothers were equal in this field, their bodies moving in a beautiful, intricate, and deadly dance around each other. Zyperis knocked Shiroten down with a well-placed roundhouse kick and Shiroten used his own momentum to propel himself over in a back flip and landed on his feet, eager to resume the battle.
A kick to Zyperis' chest sent him flying backwards. The Earth kanji flared and softened his landing. With one smooth movement, he brought his knees to his chest and then down and forward sharply, bringing himself forward and up.
After a moment of heart-pounding silence, both teenagers straightened and bowed. Chests heaved for stolen air, veins pumped with adrenaline.
“When did you learn to do such things?”
Shiroten collapsed on the side of the field and Zyperis sat down next to him. “What, shadow-bend?”
“Yes.”
“The shadows are a part of me. Manipulating them is like…wiggling my fingers.” Shiroten did so to prove his point.
Zyperis shrugged. “That is a strange analogy.”

Two sisters watched brothers from their window. One wore a soft smile and the other viewed them with contemplative eyes.
“What is Zyperis? How can he use the elements like that?” Shasa whispered softly.
“Zyperis is a sorcerer. The sorcerers of Origin, like Zyperis, captured Spirits of the Elements which gave them the power to manipulate the elements, but they needed a source to tap through. Zyperis used the kanji on his nails as his source and he is one of the few sorcerers to have captured every element. It makes him a formidable opponent.”
Shasa nodded.

Please…please forgive me…
Ziri had heard the decree earlier that day. The decision that he was to die for a crime he was forced to commit. His golden eyes were closed, contemplating this fact.
But I won't be home again…
Could he do this? Could he die for someone he'd never even met?
Maybe someday you'll look up…
He had risked his life for the people in Sharra and they hadn't even blinked.
And barely conscious you'll say to no one..
They probably didn't even know he was gone.
Isn't something missing?
Would his life be in vain? Would he die in three days and never be remembered? No, this wasn't true. He had risked his life to save Midori's and she was still alive, somewhere. She would live because of him.
You won't cry for my absence I know
Would Zuko care if he died? Sure, they'd only known each other for a while and had been joined by the sick twists of fate, nothing more, but would it matter?
You forgot me long ago
Ziri decided then that it did. It did matter.
Am I that unimportant? Am I so insignificant?
Zuko would live because he would die. Thousands would live because Zuko would lead them to victory against the Fire Nation. Zuko had already told him that this was his dream now. To save the world from his father's tyranny. He would succeed because Ziri was willing to die for him.
Isn't something missing?
And the world…the world would see then how much he had mattered. And even if they didn't, Zuko would know. And that would be enough.
Zuko would miss him. Yes, and Midori would, too. And he could do it. Ziri decided this. He could. He could die for someone.
Isn't someone missing me?
With a sigh, Ziri found the link that connected him to Zuko, and severed it forever.
The guard came in and set his supper down. “Good night, Prince Zuko.”
There was a steady silence and the guard turned around. “What? No “I'm not Prince Zuko,” tonight?”
Ziri took a deep breath. “I lied. I am Prince Zuko. Good night.”
The guard stood there for a moment and then walked out, the door hissing shut behind him.
Miles away, Zuko snapped awake with the feeling that he was missing something, but not knowing what he was missing.