Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Prophesied ❯ I Will Find You ( Chapter 26 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

"Only a mountain has lived long enough to listen objectively to the howl of a wolf."
--Aldo Leopold
Kisses are like tears, the only real ones are the ones you can't hold back.” Author Unknown

Chapter 26: Kimi wo Mitsukedasu
She froze as an enormous light erupted from the Fire Nation city. It covered the land then centered itself in a beam to the swirling heavens.

Katara was leading the army into the wall tower when the tower itself began to melt. She protected them with a shield of water until they were safe and fire-benders and earth-benders alike watched in horror.
“Impossible…”
“What's happening?”
Katara didn't know. The stone tower was melting!
When it lay in a molten pool around them, Katara saw two figures kneeling in the center and ran forward, using her water-bending to cool the liquid stone.
She was shocked to discover that one of the figures was Zuko. The other was his sister, Princess Azula, who was lying still in his arms.
“Zuko?”
He didn't look up, his eyes tightly shut and his teeth were gritted. A single tear leaked from that scarred eye and evaporated on his scalding skin.
“Zuko?” She tried again.
Kneeling beside him, Katara tried to understand what was going through Zuko's head.
The metal of Azula's armor melted over his hands where he held her and Katara could see where the molten metal bit into his unprotected skin but Zuko did not seem to feel the pain.
Katara placed a hand on his shoulder, his clothes smoldering, and winced at the pain. For a moment, she tried not to think about the words `searing' and `flesh.' Instead, she wrapped her arms around him, pressing his head to her chest.
“It's all right, Zuko.”
As she looked at the fallen princess out of the corner of her eye, she noticed that Azula was still breathing.
“See? She's breathing. She'll be all right with some care.”
Zuko opened his eyes slightly and then tore away from them both. Aang quickly blocked his path and caught him by the shoulders. Fastened by the Avatar's iron gaze, Zuko was held fast by a child half his size.
“What's wrong, Zuko?”
“Can't you see?” Zuko whispered, unable to stop shaking. “I killed my own sister.”
Katara gathered the fallen princess up and ran her hands over the girl's chest, assessing the damage.
“She's not dead, Zuko. In fact, she'll be fine.”
That time it seemed Zuko heard her for he turned his head and looked at them both. A few earth-benders including Lord Mako's niece, Toph, and two of them brought a pallet to carry the princess on.
Aang released Zuko but the former prince didn't move, watching them carry her away.
Toph shifted on her feet, listening to Zuko's heartbeat slow down. The heat in the earth upset her but the wild erratic beating of his heart disturbed her more, for it shifted her whole world.
Promptly, she walked over and slapped him.
“I thought the Fire Nation was strong, but you're just a crybaby weakling!”
She turned and walked away until a fireball grazed her shoulder. She knew it had purposely missed her by a hair. Without turning, she smiled.
“That's better.”
Behind her, she heard Zuko smile as well.

Katara spent the night working with the healers to get the injured taken care of. Azula was in a special room and Katara hadn't allowed anyone but herself to take care of the princess, only trusting herself.

She had found him walking alone through the fields towards where he had left her. Now they were walking side by side along the river Ayaka, just south of the Earth city Tasha.
“So, you want to stay with me?”
She tossed her head. “Of course not, I am honor bound to be with you until I have repaid my debt to you.”
He sighed and looked away from her. “That's not necessary. A un…”
“Ki-Lin!”
He began again. “A Ki-Lin should be bound to no one.”
She stood still as he began walking again, not looking back. How could she say it, to a human of all things?
“Listen, boy!”
He turned and looked at her and she glared back. At last, he nodded and turned away again. She was more stubborn than he.
“My name is Kagehi.”
“My name…call me Korosu.”
They reached the edge of the plateau and he looked out over the edge of the world, the brisk wind blowing through his dark hair and fluttering her wings and mane.
“That can't be your name.”
“It is what I am to the world.”
She nodded and then followed his gaze. From here, the moon was beautiful and full, shining sapphire down on them. She nudged his shoulder with her muzzle.
“Come, let me show you something.”
He turned and she proffered her back to him. Smoothly he leapt onto her back without putting too much pressure on her still sore muscles.
“Put your legs in front of my wings…slide up…on my withers, there…now hold on.”
He wrapped his hands in her mane and she turned from the cliff's edge and trotted back a few feet. When she turned, she felt him flinch.
“Hang on a moment, Kagehi, you aren't going to…”
She took off at a full gallop, straight for the cliff's edge. He held tight and hid behind her neck, burying his face in her mane. Kagehi leapt from the plateau, her momentum holding her in mid-air for a moment. She began to lose height and at the last possible moment, she flung her wings open, catching the updraft of air and soared to the sky.
Slowly his grip lessened and he began to look around as they flew among the clouds. Korosu's gaze led him to the stars and he raised one hand from her mane to let it glide through a cloud.
“This is amazing.”
Kagehi smiled, enjoying the feel of the wind over her wings, a feeling she had missed more than anything else.
To the left of them, a burst of light caught there attention. A star had gone super-nova. The light lit up the sky from horizon to horizon, the world glittering as if it were noon-day.
“Amazing,” Kagehi whispered. “A once in a lifetime opportunity,”
Korosu nodded and another pulse of light followed the first.
Kagehi whinnied in alarm as Korosu suddenly tensed and then went limp, falling from her back thousands of feet above the earth. She spun in mid-air and shot after him, folding her wings along her body for speed.
People screaming…fire…everywhere…rain…arrows…lightni ng…children…dying…
“Korosu……Korosu!”
He blinked and sat up sharply as Kagehi sighed in relief. He was sitting on her back once more.
“What happened?”
He shook his head. “I…I don't know…”

Katara looked everywhere for Zuko but she couldn't find him anyway. It was almost dawn and he was just gone!
Azula's eyes fluttered open. She could've sworn she'd heard something at the window but there was no one. Trying to sit up, she stopped as pain laced through her back. There was also an arm thrown over her stomach.
Looking for the owner, she gasped and tears sprang to her eyes.
Zuko was lying next to her, sound asleep, resting as he had when they were children and she'd been too frightened by the war and by their father to rest comfortably alone. She smoothed the wild hair from his forehead and flinched when her hand hit the scar.
He looked up at her from beneath a cracked eyelid and she blinked in surprise.
Zuko shifted and prepared to go back to sleep, somehow convinced that this was years before and he and his sister still liked each other.
The next thing he knew, he had a sobbing princess on his chest.
“A-A-Azula?”
“It was all because of some stupid fight! My stupid pride! If I had never said you weren't fit to be prince you would've never gone into that war chamber and never…”
The rest was drowned out by a fresh wave of sobs.
“Azula,”
Azula looked up, not caring about how her face looked or what he thought.
“Thank you,”
She blanched and sat back as far as she could. “`Thank you!' What for?”
He looked up and smiled. “For telling me I wasn't fit to be a prince. If you hadn't, I would've never gone into that war chamber, never been banished, never have learned about the other side of the war, and never have met…anyway, thank you. I owe you one.”
She stared at him and then slapped him as hard as she could.
“Don't thank me after I apologized so profusely! I was being serious!”
It was hard to convince her that he had been serious also when he couldn't stop laughing.
Katara was coming down the hall when she heard laughter from the princess' room. Slipping inside, she found Zuko sitting cross-legged on the edge of Azula's bed, the princess propped up by many pillows and smiling.
She watched as Zuko hit his forehead. “I never knew! Are you serious?”
Azula nodded and clasped her hands together comically. “She used to swear she was in love!”
The two laughed out and Katara put her hands on her hips.
“Who are we talking about?”
Zuko turned, still smiling. “Mai.”
Azula bit her lip in face of her former enemy but Katara smiled.
“Princess Azula, if you don't mind visitors, Lord Mako would like to see you. Zuko, Sokka desperately needs your help.”
“What'd he do this time?”
“He was born.”
Zuko laughed and headed out to find Sokka. Katara turned to go when Azula stopped her.
“Thank you.”
Katara turned. “For what?”
Azula smiled. “For making him laugh again. He told me about the island.”
Katara returned her smile. “I used to hate you but he told me what you were like when you were younger. I'm hoping that maybe you'll stay that way from now on.”

As the sun rose, the Water Sages quickly fled to the opposite side of the temple, fleeing from the angry sounds that echoed through the halls of the northern tower.
“What were you thinking!?”
“…”
“He was right there in front of you and you didn't kill him?”
Zyperis frowned. “I believe the reason you sent me was to show Ozai his daughter's true nature, not murder the Son of Agni.”
Eimin growled and put another dent in the stone wall.
“We've already determined nothing can stop us, why deal with unnecessary deaths? Don't you want it to at least be a challenge?”
Shiroten stopped just outside the door.
Eimin spun around. “Nothing can stop us? Nothing? I believe there's something.”
Zyperis stood sharply. “What is that supposed to mean?”
Eimin stared down into his son's eyes, driving two fingers into Zyperis' chest.
“It means you best get your priorities straight. You wouldn't want your precious brother to find out the truth would you?”
Shiroten gasped as he heard the sound of a wall cracking.
Picking himself up from the rubble of the ruined wall, Eimin stared in surprise. Zyperis cracked his wrist and took deep breaths through an open mouth, his eyes glittering in anger. Eimin raised his hand to the cheek that had just been struck, surprised to find his jaw in one piece.
“You…you stay away from Shiroten you…you….” Zyperis apparently could not find a word strong enough to describe his father and therefore turned and left the room before it could escalate any further. So dark was his anger that he didn't see Shiroten standing there and he had to run to catch up to Zyperis.
“Are we going to the Achlys now?”
Zyperis shook his head, not trusting himself to speak just yet. Shiroten saw this and didn't say anything either.

The door to the lower dungeons clanged open and each guard was at attention as the Fire Lord himself swept by. A guard opened the door to Ziri's cell and without a word exchanged closed it behind the Fire Lord.
Ziri looked up to see Ozai standing silently at the front of his cell. The Fire Lord threw something at him and he was surprised to see the Qiäng clatter to a stop at his feet. He bent and picked up the sacred item, brushing off the dirt it had collected in his absence.
“Make it stop.”
Ziri looked up. “Make it stop what?”
Ozai gritted his teeth, struggling to keep his temper under control.
“It burns down anything it touches. No bender can control the fire it creates.”
“And you think I can control it?”
Ziri began to tremble, he could barely control the energy flowing through him. The same hatred and anger that had taken over him during the Agni Kai was pumping into him from the Qiäng faster than he could breathe.
The Fire Lord opened his mouth to speak but he found himself staring down the blade of the Qiäng. The cell was too small for it to fully open so the Spear now seemed more of a katana.
“You,”
Ozai nearly flinched, his eyes going wide. The boy's voice was warping as if two people were speaking through him, one the child's normal voice and the other…the other…
“I cannot control the Spear's fire anymore than you can control this earth's very center.”
Ziri's voice warped again, becoming deeper, more of the other.
“You, you held me as if I am your own, even after you saw the words written on me. You tried to control me and use me as a weapon. I swear that one day these words will not be all you hear of me, Ozai, and the Son of Agni will rectify the dishonor you have done me.”
The boy trembled for a moment, the blade shaking a fraction of an inch from Ozai's jugular, then the blade retracted and Ziri collapsed, crumpling to a heap on the floor.
The lights flickered back into existence, the flames that had been extinguished flickering against the wall. Ziri lay prone on the cold floor, the Qiäng smoking in his hand. Ozai regained his composure and walked out.
The guards were relighting the extinguished lamps and as Ozai swept past, they straightened to their post and bowed. When the Fire Lord was gone, one of the guards rushed in to check on Ziri.
“Come now, Prince, wake up.” Gently he patted the side of Ziri's face until the young warrior opened his eyes.
“What happened?”
The guard shook his head. “I don't know.”
Ziri looked down the Qiäng in his hand and sighed. “I'm all right. You can go.”
The guard hesitated a moment before exiting.

Zade headed into the war chamber without hesitation and bowed to the Admiral waiting.
“Admiral Min,”
“Zade, I have a special mission for you. There is a boy living on the outskirts of town. He looks like a fire-bender but he is not. He had a black crystal embedded in his forehead and his name is Tasuki. He has something that is dire to the Fire Nation. Choose six of your best men and bring him to me.”
Without question, Zade bowed and left the room.
Behind a curtain, Haku bit his lip in distress.

In the fields of the Earth Kingdom, Agni was surprised to see Mamoru loping up to him, a human boy on his back. Agni twitched his wings and looked at the Earth god through serpentine eyes.
“What is it?”
“I found Kaia.”
Within a few moments, Haru found himself on the Fire God's back as they soared above the waves. The Earth god was beneath them, actually running on the water.
In front of them was an enormous Fire Navy ship.
When Azula had left, the soldiers had not received further orders so they took their time on the way back to the Fire Nation, taking advantage of the company they'd been left with.
Kaia sat in the women's quarters, comforting the other servant girls, hoping that the drunken men wouldn't get past the barricaded door. The chains Eimin had placed on her prevented her from transforming or controlling her element.
Just then, the boat rocked to the side and the women were thrown against one wall.
The men on deck staggered as an enormous golden dragon landed and tore several long gashes in the metal.
Haru leapt to the deck from Agni's back and bended the coal up from the engines, using it to blast men overboard.
Agni took human shape beside him, blocking the men's haphazard fire-bending and doing some of his own. Mamoru transformed to his human shape and ran for the stairs. Haru and Agni finished the men above and followed him.
Kaia stood in front of the huddled women as the sounds of a fight just outside the door grew louder. Just as soon as they started, it was quiet.
There was a knocking at the door and Kaia gave an exuberant cry as she recognized the inquiring voice. She pulled the door open and collapsed into the arms of her waiting husband.
“Oh, Mamoru, I've been so worried.”
He held her close, pressing his face to her hair, trembling in relief as she sobbed in joy. She barely registered Agni and an earth-bender walking past her to lead the other women up to the deck.
Agni and Mamoru guided the ship to a nearby Earth Kingdom port where the women got off and each headed off to return to their own homes.
In an inn, Agni, Mamoru, Kaia, and Haru sat down to discuss the happenings of the world and fill Haru in on the supernatural effects.
“So, there are four teenagers that are supposed to be the Prophesied Four?”
Mamoru nodded. Agni was pacing a few feet a way and Haru was sure that if he had been in his dragon form, his tail would be thrashing from side to side in frustration.
Finally, Kaia stood.
“It's late and we're all tired. All of us need to go to bed…now.”
Mamoru was all too willing to agree and they each retired to their own rooms.
Haru lay awake, staring up at the ceiling, thinking of Katara and the others, how they had fought so hard for people that weren't their own. It felt strange being so far from home, but he felt the need to help these people, these gods. Shasa had so willingly given up her life to protect him…couldn't he do the same?
Agni couldn't sleep. He paced on the balcony of his room, often raising his head to gaze at the moon. He sighed then continued pacing. A soft sea breeze danced around him and into the inn but before it could pass, a soft voice filled his head.
Agni,”
Agni spun around, waiting for the next breeze, staring desperately out to sea.
Agni,”
“Shasa, I'm here!” he cried hungrily, his voice rasping with emotion.
Agni, please protect my people. In the North, protect my people.”
He nodded, fighting back the hunger for his wife.
“I will, I promise.”
In a flash of light, he assumed his true form, spreading golden wings to the star filled sky. With one swoop, he soared out over the ocean and to the north.

The Komodo Rhinos were behaving themselves strangely well. Yashamaru walked beside them while Li rode on the cart which carried the Earth King inside his metal cell.
“This is fun! Can't we go faster though?”
Fully decked out in his YuuYan gear, Yashamaru smothered a laugh while Li struggled not to maim King Bumi.
“Don't worry, Li, it's not much further to Taiyoo.”
Li sighed and returned to urging the Rhinos faster.

When the moon is not quite full, but still a glowing orb against a blackened sky, it sends chills down spines and brings out things we fear the most. That is why we call it a vampire moon.
Zyperis looked up at the waxing moon, staying for the time being in the Earth Kingdom mansion his father had built at the beginning of the war.
It was the picture of his father's twisted mind, stone and black metal alternating through the demonic manor. Even the trees seemed to have been forced and twisted up from the black ground. The streams turned black as they ran onto the estate.
A manor built over the very spot Eimin had been Sealed so many years ago.
Shiroten was sitting in the dining hall, black curtains and sculptures of twisted creatures that no mortal had laid eyes on. No living mortal, that is. He looked up when Zyperis entered.
“Why are we here?”
Zyperis smiled slightly and Shiroten blinked in surprise. “I'm waiting for someone.”
In celebration of their victory over the Fire Nation, Lord Mako announced that there would be a feast that night.
Jet couldn't stay still. Most of the Fire Nation troops had left under orders from someone higher up, Jet had a mind to say it was that bastard Peris but then again...
Mai and Ty Lee had left him on their own mission to rejoin with their princess and he just couldn't figure out what to do.
She probably left you behind to go off with that pretty boy of hers. She doesn't need you. And Katara doesn't need you either. She has the Fire Prince now.
“Shut up.”
No point in staying here. Go back to your Freedom Fighters. But then, they've done well without you as well.
“I said SHUT UP!”
The fort was in a mess from the battle but Jet left everything as it was. The Komodo Rhino he chose was smaller but faster than most.
Within half an hour, he was miles away.

Mitsu was in jail, along with her husband, Hoshi, who had been the one to let the Fire Nation soldiers in.
Katara was in a room that a young woman had taken her to. The woman's name was Nora and she was as kindly as Gran-Gran. She calmly applied make-up to Katara's already pleasant features while her small group of women made tiny adjustments to Katara's dress.
“Really, I'm not sure if I should…”
“Nonsense,” Nora countered before Katara could finish. “The Avatar and his companions will be the guests of honor. You must shine!”
She met Sokka outside her room and he too looked like he'd been pampered and twisted into the outfit he currently wore which seemed to be a mix of Water Tribe and Earth Kingdom finery. Aang was in a courtly fashion with all four symbols of the Bending Arts embroidered on his right shoulder. He seemed happy with the entire affair.
“Hurry, Katara, the banquet's already started!”
“Presenting Zuko and Azula, the former prince and princess of the Fire Nation.”
Strangely enough, they were received with warm applause and as they walked down the stairs arm in arm, Zuko turned to his sister.
“I still find it strange that you gave up your title so easily.”
Azula laughed. “Unlike you, big brother, I never cared much for father, just for power. It was simple to let him go. Besides, I've been planning it for years.”
Tonight, Azula was a sight to see and so was Zuko. The royal seamstress had taken the challenge of designing their clothes tonight. The crimson and gold fabric was now inlaid with tiny crystals, making every step they took seem as if it were on fire. Azula's hair was loose and braided with rubies and gold quartz. Zuko's was held back with a large ruby pendant and the loose strands fell shortly about his ears.
As the dances began, Azula was swept away from him by Lord Mako's son, Xing Tu, and Zuko discussed politics with the gentleman in charge of Tasha's security.
“Presenting Avatar Aang of the Northern Air Temple.”
Zuko turned and greeted Aang with a smile. When the young Avatar reached the floor, he was escorted to the table where Lord Mako was sharing a cup of tea with his niece, Toph.
“Presenting Sokka, Warrior of the Southern Water Tribe.”
Zuko stifled a laugh and Sokka joined him in the crowd. Just as soon as he did, Sokka was caught up by a young woman and pulled into the dance and Zuko found himself invariably drawn to whom he knew was coming next.
“Presenting Katara, Master Water-bender of the Southern Water Tribe.”
The title was intimidating and Katara could feel the stares of every eye on her and wanted to run back into the hall. Then her gaze met golden orbs.
Zuko felt himself stepping forward from the crowds but he couldn't have formed a word if his life depended on it. Katara was dressed in silver-blue dress, embroidered with crystals that changed shade with every step she took, making it seem as if she danced in shower of rain.
As she stepped down onto the floor, he offered her his arm and felt her sigh in relief.
“All these people are watching us. It's unnerving.”
Zuko smiled. “Just hold your head up and pretend you're better than them. You are in my eyes.”
Katara couldn't help but smile as Zuko guided her through the crowds and onto the dance floor.
“Hey,” she started as they joined the dance. “You didn't ask me if I wanted to dance with you.”
Zuko's smile grew wider. “I'm so popular I just assumed you'd like to have the first. I probably won't be available for the rest of the night.”
The night was indeed wonderful, Azula first stealing her brother away from Katara and Katara took up the scorned Xing Tu. Hours passed and they danced, ate, and drank, enjoying life as only they could, knowing that tomorrow they would have to strap on their swords and staffs and go back to war.
Zuko suddenly found his arms filled with one of the last people he expected to see.
“Hi Zuko!”
Zuko blinked. “Hello, Ty Lee…”
The energetic gymnast was dressed in a bright pink gown. Glancing around, Zuko found Mai dancing with Xing Tu, who was obviously unnerved by the girl's inane opacity.
“What are you doing, Ty Lee?”
She laughed. “We were going to rescue Azula but she seems happy so we're just going to stay and enjoy the party. Is that okay with you?”
Zuko found himself swiftly spun straight into Mai's arms while Ty Lee took over the stunned Xing Tu. Zuko had half a mind to help the bewildered duke, but then again, teasing Mai was much more fun. She was already blushing in his arms.

Azula looked around from her place by the balcony and smiled when she saw someone familiar in the courtyard below. Gathering up her skirts, she rushed downstairs to meet him.
Outside, she spotted him walking from the banquet hall and into the city and strangely, no matter how fast she ran, she couldn't catch up.
Just outside the city wall, he finally turned and faced her, but the eyes she saw were not the ones she'd once confessed to herself that she loved.
“Azula, don't you look…painted.”
She gasped and stepped back. “Jet,”
“You'd think so, wouldn't you, Princess?”
Behind Jet, Peris stepped out of the woods but he wasn't the Peris Azula knew. He stood in the shadows and all she could really see of his were his eyes and they definitely weren't the golden eyes she'd grown up with. In fact, they were solid black, no pupil, no sclera, just black, outlined by his pale face.
“It doesn't take much to alter an appearance, especially from this distance.”
He reached up and grabbed `Jet' by the back of the neck and even though she knew now that it wasn't Jet, Azula couldn't help but bite her lip, struggling to restrain herself from running to his aid, pressing herself into a more complicated position.
She hoped Peris wouldn't make her fight this decoy.
But no, she wasn't that lucky. Without a flicker of emotion on his face, Peris crushed the decoy's spine in his hand and tossed the now limp body to the side as Azula stared in horror.
Everything she'd ever been taught vanished from her mind, everything that had taught her to never back down, to always stand strong, and to fight to defend her people just vanished as common sense told her: This was not an enemy she could handle.
Azula turned from Peris and ran.
She had barely taken three steps before a hand snaked out and jerked her back by her loose hair. Thrown to the ground, she wasn't released. Instead, Peris dragged her along behind him by her hair. She struggled to regain her feet as he paid little attention to her desperate movements. As she tried to pry his grip from her ebony locks, her other hand reached down to grab the dagger strapped to her thigh.
An attack to Peris could prove to backfire. What she needed was to get free and put distance between him and her. He wasn't going to let her run, so she had to fight.
Peris saw the flicker of metal out of the corner of his eye as Azula got her feet beneath her and pulled away, a dagger cutting straight through the obsidian strands he held in his hand. She tore away, leaving a few wisps of hair to float in the space between him and she leapt to her feet, still in her evening dress, but her arms were up, ready to battle.
“Look around you, princess.”
She had been ready to fight but as Azula did as she was told, every ounce of hardly once courage seeped its way out like poison into a wound. She was deep in the forest, just inside an iron gate and as she watched, demon-like creatures came snarling out of the dark. Their heads were like wolves but the snout was broader and the eyes set slightly on top, serpentine. Their bodies were covered in fur, colors ranging from dark crimson to midnight black, a long serpent tail with a barb on the end and clawed feet. Each one was half the size of a full dragon but at least three times the size of a wolf!
“Do you like them, princess? I call them wolf-dragons.”
“Wolf-dragons,” she repeated.
Those closest to her barked and snarled, some lifting their heads to howl at the suddenly full moon. When Azula turned around, Peris was gone.
“Azula,” his voice resounded around her. “The only way back is to go forward. The only way home is to take a step away.”
She bit her lip but understood. Her eyes fastened on the enormous mansion. “The only way back is to go forward.”
Azula took off running towards the mansion, the wolf-dragons close on her heels.

Haru left the inn with Mamoru's blessing, still startled that he was in the company of gods. He had wanted to leave with Agni, sure that the Fire God would want his help to find Shasa, and he would find Shasa, but Agni had already left when he woke that morning.
Either way, Haru set out in the direction he'd last seen Shasa once more. Hours passed and as the sun set he was in a forest that seemed to be full of life. That was, at least, until a group of young boys jumped down in front of him, all armed. Maybe borrowing Agni's crimson shirt to replace his torn and battered one wasn't such a good idea.
An extremely large rebel came running at him with a log raised over his head as a club. Haru stepped forward with his right foot, slamming down into the earth and encasing the giant in rock.
The others around him ran forward.
“Wait, wait! Stop!”
Somehow, everyone managed to stop before running into Haru.
“What is it, Smellerbee?”
“That guy's an earthbender.”
Another one of the boys stepped forward and looked at Haru's chest.
“Then why's he wearing Fire Nation colors?”
“They were available?” Haru replied cautiously.
The one called Smellerbee shrugged. “Come on, it's dark. You can stay with us tonight.”
A few minutes later Haru found himself entwined among thousands of refugee children, boy and girls alike, that had stationed themselves in the trees of the forests.
Smellerbee sighed as she and a few others sat inside of one of the make-shift houses with Haru.
“I know you don't think it's much, Haru, but when Jet was here, the Freedom Fighters made a difference. Then he ran off and we haven't heard from him since.”
“What kind of leader abandons his followers?”
Smellerbee shrugged. “I thought Jet was great…I'm so worried about him.”
For a moment, it seemed she would cry and then the iron was back, the steel in her veins that kept her strong.
“Well,” Haru started, choosing his words carefully. “I heard of a camp not too far from here where those old enough can join the Earth Kingdom army and those not can learn basic fighting skills until they are old enough.”
The bright faces he saw told him he'd said the right thing.

Jet was riding hard back towards his forest when the amulet around his neck began to glow brightly.
You are making the wrong decision.”
It wasn't the voice he usually heard, the one he'd labeled his conscience. This one was a woman's voice, soft and musical and…disappointed.
“Who are you?” he asked after pulling the horstrich to a stop.
I am Hiketsu. You wear me around your neck.”
Jet looked down at the amulet around his neck. “Hiketsu? The Key of One Thousand Winds?”
That's right, and you are making the wrong decision, Son of Samir.”
“What decision?”
Your decision to leave.”
“I need to return to my men.”
They have another leader, someone who leads them to safety. Someone else needs you, someone who loves you, and whom you love.”
“Azula!” Jet didn't need to hesitate on that one. He knew whom he loved but he was sure she didn't love him. He knew she would never abandon her country and she would never go against her father's wishes and her father wanted her to marry that Peris.
Oh, be quiet. You sound so foolish. You've fallen in love with a girl who has refused from the moment you met her to completely reveal herself to you. You know little to nothing about her. Whether she loves you or not, she needs your help now go!”
“Show me the way.”
He turned the horstrich around and they ran, the Hiketsu's light powering a path through the forest.

Zuko stepped out onto the balcony, seeking relief from the stuffy air in the banquet hall. It was near midnight and those that weren't drunk were either underage or passed out. He closed his eyes and let the cool air flow over him.
When had he come to love the rain? When had the soft cool night air become soothing? When had the light of the moon not instilled a sense of fear within him?
He hummed a song that his cousin, Lu Ten, had taught him years before, hearing the words in his head.
How do you fall in love?
When do you say `I do?'
When do you know it's time
To spend the rest of your life
Seasons may come and go
Sometimes it rains and snows
And there will be highs and lows
So only you will know
“Hello Aang,”
Aang jumped in surprise but walked across the balcony to wear Zuko stood.
“The moon is very bright tonight.” Aang stated and Zuko nodded.
“It must be hard to see the moon now.”
Aang blinked in surprise until Zuko continued. “Katara told me of Princess Yue. I think of her often when I see the moon now.”
“Did you know her?”
“I met her, once, when I was a child.”
There were a few moments of silence for Aang to re-gather his courage.
“Zuko, I love Katara,”
“I know,”
“But so do you.”
Zuko's words stopped dead in his throat. It had never been put to him that way. He couldn't possibly, could he?
“Aang, I…don't…”
“Yes you do,” Aang's voice got firmer. “At least, you better, because…because…Shasa said she belongs to you, you, the Son of Agni.”
Zuko sighed. “Do you know who Katara is, Aang?”
“She's Katara.”
“She's the Daughter of Nen, one of the Prophesied Four.”
Aang's eyes got wide and he shook his head. “No, she can't be.”
“She is. Agni told me. They told her. She knows. There is so much more to what is happening now and I have no idea what is going on.”
Aang turned as a young lady from the banquet called him.
“Well, Zuko…take care of her. Promise?”
Zuko blinked but to make the Avatar happy, he nodded. “I promise.”
He looked up the moon once more and saw Yue's smiling face looking down on him. Her eyes, so soft and blue, turned white as she molded into the moon spirit again.
A blinding light behind his eyes and images began flashing before his eyes.
A crash behind him and Aang spun around, finding Zuko lying hunched up on the floor, holding his head. Aang pulled him up and held him while the woman ran back into hall. Instantly, Katara, Sokka, and Midori were there at his side.
“What's happening?” Midori questioned as Katara placed her healing hands on Zuko's chest.
People screaming…
fire…everywhere…
rain…arrows…lightning…
children…dying…
soldiers fighting…burning…killing…
As Sokka and Aang carried Zuko up to their shared room, Katara heard him whisper one word.
“Shian,”

Azula quickly learned the wolf-dragons didn't like fire and made it into the mansion. She ran forward into a large hall and found a doorway. Wrenching it open, she found a staircase that led down and at the bottom of the stairs were fire, full of hatred and anger. There were things in the fire, things she did not want to see fully let alone go closer to. She slammed the door shut and turned around.
The large hall was gone and there was nothing but a narrow staircase leading to the next floor higher. She didn't have a choice and walked towards the staircase.
The moment she placed her foot on the first step, the door behind her vanished and there was no way back.
Somehow it seemed to take an eternity to take one step and she lost all sense of time, ever putting one foot in front of the other. At first she ran up the stairs but now it was an effort just to raise her head to look up.
After a lifetime, she saw a light at the head of the stairs and managed those last few steps to the top. A blinding light and she was in the room, the stairwell melting away behind her. But now, she would've rather been on the stairs for the rest of her life. By Agni, she would've taken the wolf-dragons.
For standing in front of her was a real dragon. Luckily, it was chained to the floor but the door to the next room was behind it. That was the only way out.
Azula reached down and tore her skirt from hip to floor on each side and stepped out into a bending stance. The dragon turned towards her and roared, spitting flame across the room. Azula was smart enough not to try and bend the fire away from her. Instead she dodged it with skills she hadn't used in a while.
The dragon raised itself up and pressed its enormous shoulders against the ceiling. Azula watched as a crack spread its way over the stone and then the entire room blew outwards. When the dust had cleared, the only thing left was the floor beneath them. She didn't have time to look around for the dragon had snapped his chain and was already spitting fire at her, never giving her a moment's rest. Step after step she took backwards until she found there was nothing left behind her. And there was nothing beneath the floor. There was no ground, no sky, just the platform in the middle of a starry void.
Quickly, Azula dove to dodge the dragon's fire and sent back a flame of her own. The dragon roared and rose up on its hide legs as the fire screamed around him. Azula stood quickly. Was the dragon afraid of fire as well? It didn't make sense but back and forth they exchanged fire until the dragon unwittingly took a step into the abyss. Azula created a fire wall and sent it surging towards the dragon and the last she saw of the beat was it falling into the void so far away.
Then the floor beneath her began breaking away, tile by tile, until she was left with nothing to stand on and she fell. She refused to cry out and she hit the ground hard.
She was another room now and she looked around for the challenge this time. Instead, she saw a very familiar face.
“Zuko!”

Jet found the mansion easily enough with the Hiketsu's help and lost both of his hook-swords to the wolf-dragons prowling outside. Upon reaching the inside of the mansion, he took a sword from one of the suits of armor, a very old broadsword but it was sharp enough to split hairs.
He headed forward across the immaculate hall. He opened the doorway and below him was a field of fire. Stepping forward onto the first stair leading down, he didn't stop walking, not even looking up when the door melted away behind him.

Azula backed away until her back hit the wall. Zuko grabbed her chin and forcefully turned her head to him.
“Look at me, Azula! Look at what you did to me!”
With one swift movement he threw her to the ground. Her head cracked against the stone and she tasted blood. He grabbed her by the throat and held her up. This time the side of the castle had melted away to reveal the same demons she'd seen at the first door. She screamed and struggled against the iron grip as he held her over the fiery abyss.
“Be consumed by the same fire you condemned me to.”
She looked into his amber eyes for some hope but all she saw was rabid anger…and glee, joy at her demise. With this revelation, Azula went limp, letting her hands fall to her sides. God knows, she deserved this.
“Azula! GET AWAY FROM HER!”
Jet threw the torch he'd picked up and it caught the man in his chest, instantly setting his clothes and self ablaze. The man screamed and released Azula, clawing at himself. Jet threw himself over the edge of the cliff to catch her by the arm. He pulled them both up and was caught by surprise when she threw her arms around his neck and kissed him.
“I thought you weren't coming back,”
“I didn't know you knew I left.”
She just smiled and they both stood.
The man had clawed off his clothes and even his own skin to get rid of the fire. The torch lay guttered at the end of the hall. Azula raised her hands to finish him off when Peris suddenly appeared, blocking her fire and around them the room faded and they were in the center of the castle. It was crumbling.
“Follow me!”
Jet grabbed Azula's hand and together they dodged falling stone and mortar. The wolf-dragons were gone when they burst out into the courtyard and through the iron gate. Standing outside the iron fence, they turned to each other, and Jet raised a hand to wipe away a bit of dirt from Azula's alabaster cheek.
Tears filled her golden eyes as he pulled her into his arms, her head tucked beneath his chin and she knew that no matter what happened it would be all right. She tilted her head up and he met her with a gentle kiss. How could her broken soul have found such a perfect match?
I hope you are the one I share my life with and I wish that you could be the one I die with.”
The Hiketsu smiled internally at Jet's thought. “Now that's a good decision.”

Not far away in the woods Zyperis laid Shiroten's burnt body on the floor of pine needles, no light to be seen.
“Come on,” he whispered but nothing happened.
Turning to the shadows he yelled, his voice stripped of hatred and filled with heartache. Nen stopped where she was; she didn't want him to know she was witness to this complete breakdown of his walls.
“Why? Why are you not healing him?” Zyperis said to the darkness but they did nothing.
He grabbed Shiroten and pulled him into his lap, holding his torso elevated, the shadow-benders head on his arm.
“Shiroten, please wake up. Please!”
Zyperis lowered his head to the wounded chest, his teeth bared. From his dark lashes poured tears of pain and grief.
You wouldn't want your precious brother to find out the truth?”
“Oh, Shiroten, my love, my hope, my breath, I have been so selfish! I stole you from your parents, from the people who loved you, your mother, your father, and made you my own so that I wouldn't be alone. You've lived in misery so that I could be happy. I promise, live and I will do whatever I must to return you to where you belong. Far…far away from me!”
At long last the shadows turned and began to heal the fallen Shiroten. Zyperis held him closer and prayed to the Powers That Be.
“Shiroten…AISHITERU!”

Katara brushed a dark strand of hair from Zuko's forehead and his eyes fluttered.
“What happened?”
She smiled. No one else was in the room.
“You just collapsed. Must've been from the long day.”
He shook his head as she turned away, humming. It was more than that. In his vision, he had seen the Earth Kingdom city of Shian being destroyed. He had to stop it. That was the Earth Kingdom's last supply city in the west.
Quickly, Zuko tossed back the covers on his bed and crossed the room, dressing quickly. Katara turned back around and dropped the tea she'd been preparing.
“What are you doing?”
“I have to go. Shian is going to be attacked.”
“Then tell Lord Mako. You can't go running off.”
Zuko shook his head. “I have to do this alone.”
Katara shook her head with equal enthusiasm. “At least let us go with you.”
Zuko spun around. “The Avatar must stay here and train and he needs you. All of you.”
Katara rushed forward and placed a hand on each of Zuko's arm, effecting blocking him from the door.
“I won't let you go! Can I not trust you for a moment not to go running off to get yourself killed? You ran off to Taiyoo and now!”
Zuko grabbed her shoulders and forcefully moved her to the side. Tears filling her eyes, she spun around, her anger getting the best of her. .
“I'm going, Katara.”
“Then I don't give a…a damn if you never come back from Shian!”
He stopped halfway out the door and looked back sadly at her. She raised her hand in surprise and covered her mouth. Silent tears spilled over and fell down her cheeks.
“Katara,”
She shook her head and raised a hand. “Just go.”
He turned and met her gaze. For a moment they just stared at each other, half of her hoping he'd leave and the other only praying he would break his gaze away first. He did need neither.
Stepping quickly, he crossed the room, knocked her head away and grasped her head in both hands, pulling her towards her and kissed her forcefully, hungrily.
Katara gasped and responded with the same fervor as the first night she'd ever kissed Zuko. And like that first time, his kiss was desperate, hungry, fierce, but this time it was more confident.
She tried to raise her hands to wrap around his neck but he caught them in his own. He walked forward, pushing her backwards until she hit the wall. A gasp of pain was masked by a gasp of surprise as he lightly nipped her neck, pulling her hands above her head.
Katara bit her lip as he played down her neck and back up to her lips. She suddenly found that the only thing holding her up was his weight pushing her into the wall. It was a dangerous position to be in but she didn't mind. Her heart was pounding so fast she was sure he could hear it.
She felt something fall into place above her, the sound of silk over silk, and then he pulled away.
“I know it now. I love you, Katara, and that is why I cannot let you go with me. I cannot risk you being hurt.”
Zuko turned and walked away. Katara tried to follow him but found her hands tied above her head into the silk curtains.
“Zuko! Zuko, wait! Please let us go with you! Please listen to me! Wait just a little bit longer!”
But he was gone, the door swinging shut behind him.
Tears spilling once more, Katara jerked forward against her bonds.
ZUKO!”

Ziri sat alone in his cell. The man named Jee had gone to get someone named Iroh who was supposed to help. It was less than an hour until dawn.
The Qiäng was sitting in his lap, like a voice whispering in his ear.
“It's no use,” he said. “I can't understand you.”
The voice fell silent, almost sighing.
“You'll be in danger when I die.”
The voice began whispering again and Ziri sighed. He reached deep into his mind and touched the severed link between him and his brother, his twin brother.
“You belong to him, not me. I wish you could go to him.”
When he opened his eyes, the Qiäng was gone and he knew it had gone to Zuko. With a smile, Ziri sat back against the cool wall.
“I am happy with what I have done in my life. I think I can die in peace.”

The dawn crept over the horizon and Jee could not find the general anywhere. He'd been all over the Inner and Middle Ring and his ventures into the Outer Ring had ended in disaster.
“Kuso, it's almost dawn and I can't find General Iroh anywhere! I have to get back to Ziri before it's…oh no…”
For just then the trumpets sounded a crowd gathered at the street and there the procession went through. They moved slowly, all dressed in the white of mourning. Despite his supposed label of traitor, Ziri would be executed with honor and buried with his family. It was all they could do for a royal family member.
The prisoner did not seem horrified by his fate. In fact, he was watching the sun rise with a smile.
Ziri watched the sun rise, committing every slight shift in color to memory. The soldiers in front and behind him made no effort to force him to look away or to make him move faster. They seemed more depressed about this than he was. The chains that held his arms behind his back barely registered in his mind. He looked down to the crowd and they were somber as well.
There was a woman with silken black hair and impossibly blue eyes that followed him. She was dressed in a black cloak and dress and when her dress shifted, he could see she was barefoot. For every step he took she mimicked him, right up to the hill.
The chains on his wrists were locked to a metal platform loaded with wood. He was facing the sunrise.
In the background, as if from another world, he heard a man.
“Today, Zuko, son of Ozai and Ursa, will be surrendered to the flames of his birth as a condemned traitor and for attempted assassination of the Fire Lord.”
Another man, one dressed as a Sage, stepped forward and drew a symbol on his forehead in some type of oil.
“Agni is with you, child.”
Ziri blinked and looked at the Sage. “Please move. I cannot see the sun.”
The Sage blinked in surprise and then stepped back.
The woman was there and Ziri barely felt the flames consuming his body as he stared into her eyes.
Just let go, Ziri. I will find you again. I promise.”
Ziri smiled and closed his eyes.