Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Prophesied ❯ The Wolf Inside ( Chapter 27 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Pre-AN #1: A `cut' Ki-Lin is one that has had its alicorn, or horn, cut off.
 
Pre-AN #2: I stole balefire from Robert Jordan. He can come and kill me for it later. For those who haven't read The Wheel of Time series, balefire is a banned magic because it literally rips the person from the Pattern of Life. The more powerful the balefire the further back the person is removed. Things they have done are reversed as if they never were. In short, balefire is very bad.
 
Pre-AN #3: I can't remember this one for some reason…*re-reads* Oh yeah! An odachi is a very big sword about as wide as your hand and about six feet long. If you watch Bleach, Ichigo's original Zankupatoh is an odachi.
 
Pre-AN #4: Yes, Ryan, I'm copying your style. About the ANs, not the following. If you don't like songs in a fanfics, don't read the last bit. There were a few songs that fueled this chapter and I put them in to kind of round out the end.
 
Pre-AN #5: I don't own “What is this feeling?” from Wicked.
 
 
 
"We humans fear the beast within the wolf because we do not understand the beast within ourselves."
-- Gerald Hausman
 
Chapter 27: The Wolf Inside
 
When Shiroten awoke he was back in the Water Temple but this time he wasn't surprised by Zyperis' presence. As always, the sorcerer was lying beside him playing with a strand of his hair.
“Good morning, Aniki,”
Zyperis flinched and sat up, surprised that he didn't realize that Shiroten was awake.
“Good morning,” he said, standing. “I should go let Nen know you're awake.”
He walked quickly towards the door and Shiroten sat up.
“Is something wrong, Zyperis?”
Zyperis turned and for a moment could not decide. Then he walked forward and sat down on the edge of the bed facing Shiroten.
Shiroten blinked. Zyperis was only inches from his face and was looking at him strangely. Slowly, the sorcerer began leaning closer. Then, just as suddenly, he stopped and stood.
“Nothing's wrong, Shiroten. Are you hungry?”
Shiroten nodded and grinned. “Starved.”
Zyperis nodded. “Meet me in the kitchen where you're dressed.”
As always it was a strange breakfast but Shiroten didn't mind. There was some reason, some bond that made it so Zyperis didn't need to eat and didn't feel hunger or thirst or fatigue, but the elder had taken up a habit of watching Shiroten as he ate.
A soft smile played on Zyperis' face while Shiroten watched him. He rested his head on his folded hands and let his eyes drift close. Maybe he could enjoy this just a little bit longer.
That day Zyperis left both Shiroten and Sainan at the temple and took one of the cut Ki-Lin at a dead gallop to the city he had just left.
No one harmed Shiroten and lived to speak of it. He would destroy the Fire Princess and her lover if he had to burn Tasha to do so.
Zuko stood on the hill with the walls of Tasha just barely visible. He turned to the west and watched the sun play on the water. Somewhere, beyond that horizon, was his home. Last night, he had dreamed he was there.
Gleaming in the moonlight
Cool and clear and all I've ever known
All I've ever wanted
Sweet perfumes of incense
Sweet rooms of alabaster stone
All I ever wanted
This is my home
With my father, mother, sister
Oh so noble, oh so strong
Now I am home
And if anybody doubts it
They couldn't be any more wrong
Surely this is all I ever wanted
All I ever wanted…
All I…ever…wanted…
Katara moved her foot a little to the left and the ball of water from the pitcher moved a little closer. The tiny movement she could get from her fingers helped a bit. She managed to get the water frozen into a flat ice disc. Bringing it sharply towards her, it cut through the curtains above her and quickly she freed her hands and ran, pushing the door open before her and sprinting down the hall after Zuko.
“Please…please let him still be here.”
She rushed into Azula's room where she was sitting in front of the window with Ty Lee and Mai nearby.
“Azula, have you seen Zuko?”
Azula shook her head. Her hair had been cut very short but the back had been spiked out straight and her bangs were still there. It actually looked very good.
“I haven't seen him at all. I thought you were taking care of him this morning.”
Katara didn't wait for Azula to finish how ever. She had turned and was out the door at `haven't.'
It was heaven to run again. When Korosu had shown up that dawn and asked her a favor, she hadn't hesitated to gather him onto her back and take off.
He was actually an excellent rider and she credited it to her wings to have thrown him off at first. His hands were wound up in her mane and she ran through the forest as if it were a clear cut path.
“Are you running from someone?”
She felt him shake his head.
“No, I need to get somewhere. I have to save them, Kagehi.”
“Where are we going?”
“Shian,”
In the depths of her memory she remembered the Earth Kingdom city and altered her steps.
“Can we be there by morning?” he inquired and she answered in the affirmative. When the trees cleared she launched herself up and threw her wings out to catch the wind. She felt Korosu tense at first and then relax.
“Rest, it will be a while.”
A moment later he rested his head on her neck and slept.
Katara found Aang training in the arena with Toph. The young Avatar was having a tough time with earth-bending but Toph was an earnest teacher, if a bit harsh. Midori seemed to have fallen for an Earth Kingdom lord's son and was nowhere to be seen. Sokka took one look at his sister's flushed face and stood swiftly.
“Katara, what's wrong?”
“Zuko,”
Aang turned from Toph and they both hurried over. Sokka supported Katara as she caught her breath and she quickly related the whole story, leaving out the part of Zuko kissing her and leaving her tied up and skipping to when he left.
“Why would he go without us? He should know we've got his back now.”
Katara shook her head. Aang tensed, thinking of the conversation he'd had with Zuko just the night before. He grabbed his staff from where it lay against the wall.
“We've got to go after him.”
Just then a soldier burst into the hall.
“My Lords and Ladies, Tasha is under attack!”
The four of them rushed up to the battlements and Katara gasped. Thousands upon thousands of Fire Nation stood at the gate, advancing steadily towards the walls of Tasha. Tanks and catapults moved in without fail despite Tasha's resistance.
Tasha's new Commander, Liang, ran over to them.
“We had no warning. Our sentries never saw them coming.”
“An army this enormous can't move without being seen.” Sokka stated.
Liang placed a hand on his forehead and Katara noticed how young he was, maybe just a year older than Zuko.
“We still have men coming from their homes. Please, will you help?”
Aang stood up straighter. “Of course.”
Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai reached the battlements and the brightly dressed gymnast gestured out past the Fire Nation soldiers to the edge of the tree line. Azula grimaced as she recognized the figure.
“Peris,”
Zyperis sat tall on the cut Ki-Lin. Though he had taken up the Fire Nation armor he usually wore, he abandoned their traditions for the rest of him, the wind that blew in dark rain clouds blowing his now loose black hair forward into his face. He had eyes only for Jet, who was below in the ranks fighting on the ground.
He dismounted easily and the wind gave an extra burst, with it came the first hints of rain. Jet turned with his new hook-swords in hand and saw the Fire Nation commander coming towards him and stepped back, assuming a defensive stance. Zyperis reached for his sword-belt and drew out the obsidian blade that Shiroten had made for him.
The Maiden of the Night trembled in his hand as he brought it forward to guard. She was as eager for the Earth Kingdom rebel's blood as he was.
At that moment, the rain came pouring from the sky in torrents.
Eimin stepped around his newest servant.
“What are you going to do?”
“Destroy the Northern Water Tribe.”
“Who will you leave alive?”
“No one.”
“And if you encounter one of your peers?”
Samir raised his head, brilliant red eyes shining forward.
“I will kill them.”
Shiroten felt too small trapped in the Fire Nation armor but the army was taking his commands as if he were Zyperis. The air-benders in the Achlys Mountains would die today and fuel his father's army.
Kioko sat on the back of her dragon, Kiro. The Fire Nation onslaught wouldn't stop and they hadn't even stopped coming over the hill. She loosened the Köu from her arm and nudged Kiro into the air.
Shiroten watched the red dragon take to the sky and Sainan needed no urging to take to the sky, soaring up into the rain to meet the smaller dragon in combat. The two dragons twisted and spun in the air, Sainan raking at Kiro with much larger claws than the younger dragon sported and with experience on his side as well.
With a particularly violent twist that Sainan forced Kiro into, Kioko fell to the ground and landed with a harsh cry. Her ankle twisted beneath her but she stood against it anyway.
Shiroten followed her to the ground, tossing his helmet to the side and drawing the shadows that the thunderclouds offered him.
Kioko's gaze fell on him and she spun the Kou, its light cutting a knife through the darkness.
As above them their dragons faced off, the Daughter of Kaia faced the First Shadow-bender.
The rain began pouring down in sheets driven by the wind.
Zuko's steed pounded against the muddy ground and he wiped his wet bangs away from his eyes. He didn't need to see but focusing on the world around him kept his mind from thinking too hard about what Peris had said.
I don't need a father, Agni nor Ozai, Neither of them. I have Katara and I have the people. I can be everything without a father.
“Oh really?”
Zuko's head jerked up in surprise and his steed came to a halt. He stared off into the woods, his eyes narrowing.
“Who's there?”
“No one of consequence, and on the other hand, your entire life depends on me. Come here.”
Compelled, Zuko slid from the slick bareback of his steed and walked forward, shielding his eyes from the rain. There in the mud before him was a gold staff. He couldn't quite make out the characters written in the lacquer but he still knelt down and brushed away the fallen leaves and dirt from the staff.
“It's time to fight, Son of Agni.”
“Who are you?”
“When the time comes, you will know.”
Zuko picked up the staff and tucked it into the waist of his pants. The mare shook her head as he returned to her. Quickly, they were off again.
Katara joined the battle on the ground, she and Midori bending wave after wave from the bay onto the field while Aang used his new found earth-bending alongside of Toph. The two were in perfect unison.
Katara's bending would've been better if she could stop worrying about Zuko.
Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee were fighting their way through the crowds of fire-benders.
Sparks flew where their blades met but Jet could not match the obsidian hatred that poured from Zyperis' blade. Forced back for the fourth time, Jet stood gasping.
“Whatever you are, you aren't human.”
Zyperis shook his head to clear his soaked bangs from his eyes, his body trembling from adrenaline rather than fatigue. He brought the Maiden above his head, her onyx surface gleaming.
“I was once. A long time ago, but such memories are of no consequence now. You fight as a human, now die as one!”
He brought the Maiden down with all his strength. Jet brought his hook-swords up to block. For a moment, they held but then the Maiden's obsidian blade cut straight through the simple metals. Jet gritted his teeth, watching the blade come down. A sharp pain in his forehead and then Katara was there.
Zyperis picked himself up from the water-blast he hadn't seen coming. The Maiden was screaming with his anger.
Katara and Jet both stood quickly, Jet bleeding from a deep cut on his forehead. Katara heard screaming in the wind and turned to face their fallen opponent.
Zyperis wiped away a small amount of blood from his lip, the rain falling heavy on them.
Azula stopped, all around them, the moment Zyperis had fallen, so had every single Fire Nation soldier. Now, as he stood, every soldier stood as well.
Even those already slain.
Zyperis met Katara's gaze and she trembled, strengthening her stance as she gritted her teeth.
“You cannot destroy an army already dead.”
Katara started forward but Jet stuck out an arm.
“He's after me for some reason, Katara. Stay…”
“Some reason!” Zyperis shouted. “You nearly killed Shiroten! You interfered into a Korei no Uso! By any law, you should be dead already, Son of Samir!”
With the Maiden in his hand, arm flung straight out, Zyperis charged forward. Instead of meeting him blade to blade, Jet rushed forward and tackled the Prince of Darkness forgetting momentarily about the Hiketsu.
The Maiden was lodged in the earth as the two rolled down the hill and into the bay.
Jet found he'd bitten off a little more than he could chew. Before he could even get his bearings in the shallow water, Zyperis grabbed his head by the hair and forced him under the water. The Earth Kingdom rebel fought desperately but the sorcerer's arms were like iron.
Zyperis once again found himself being caught off-guard by Katara's bending, so focused was he on the annihilation of his hate.
Picking himself back up, Katara tensed as somehow the devilish blade had made it back into his hands.
She could hear it screaming and her blood ran cold as Zyperis' gaze met hers.
“I've had about enough of you.”
One moment he was standing there, the next he was gone. Katara stepped back, gazing about her wildly, looking for him.
Jet gasped out enough air to shout. “Katara! He's behind you!”
Katara turned just in time for the blade of the Maiden to slice across her stomach instead of directly through her back. The wound was shallow she noted as she slid to a stop but Zyperis shifted directions easily, bringing the Maiden up easily to slash at her.
She diverted the attack with a blade of ice she quickly made but the Maiden sliced easily through it, rendering it useless for further defense. All Katara could do was dodge the lightning-fast attacks.
Time slowed down until Katara stepped back to avoid another attack and her foot went through the rain-soaked earth. Feeling the hollow beneath her, Zyperis gave the earth a nudge and it collapsed beneath her.
Katara fell onto hard stone, her ankle twisting beneath her and she fell to her knees. Around her were what appeared to be ancient ruins and she remembered Toph telling her about what was supposed to be an ancient Earth Kingdom temple beneath the city of Tasha. She saw Zyperis standing at the edge of the hole and him leaping down to continue their battle.
Kagehi reached the other side of the vast lake and her front hooves hit the earth.
Shiroten raised a band of shadow to block Kioko's attack.
Azula turned to blast a Fire Nation tank with her lightning as Ty Lee flipped over her head.
Zuko leaned back as his steed landed from a jump over a fallen tree.
Agni came in sight of the Northern Water Tribe.
Haru pulled the hood of his cloak up to protect his face from the driving rain and looked behind him to check on the younger ones.
And then time stopped.
Kanna heard her brother's voice in her ears as she stepped from Aye into the Land of the Dead.
Save the Spirit of the Four. Come into your birthright. This is the task that the Powers That Be have chosen for you.
Only a Ki-Lin could cross over. Only a Ki-Lin could resurrect a dead spirit.
She was a Ki-Lin.
In her true form she stepped delicately over the razor sharp rocks, slippery from the constant water that flowed down. Slowly, it seemed, she descended into the depths of the Seven Hells.
The first gate was deserted and the gate-keeper barely paid her a glance. An animated skeleton it was, clad in a torn and dirty black robe, it watched her pass with empty eye sockets. She didn't even turn to look at it.
The next three gates were unguarded but at the fifth was a young girl with blonde curls all over her head. When she looked up, the lids of her eyes opened to reveal solid black eyes. Kanna closed her own eyes and kept walking forward.
At the sixth gate, souls were gathered, waiting to enter their eternal home. The crowd parted for her without ever really seeing her.
The gate was cracked and falling apart, the gate-keeper taking names with an eternally moving hand. Kanna passed through the gate and paused just inside.
The Sixth Level was completely empty.
Then he came, crashing from the hole at the ceiling and pouring himself over the ground before her.
It was him, the demon and Seventh Gate-keeper, Ayushmati.
His form was as sick and twisted as his master, Eimin's. He twisted and turned over an insect-like body. Wherever he moved a yellow trail was left, burning into the ground like acid.
“What do you want, Ki-Lin?”
Kanna narrowed her sapphire eyes. “You need not ask.”
He lunged down from the crevice he'd taken hold off, screaming down for her. She dodged the blow and ran, ducking under the upraised curves of his serpentine body. There was no defeating the demon, if she could just make the gate.
Ziri followed the flow of the river, walking slowly as if he had all the time in the world. It had been shallow in the first levels but here the river was very swift and very deep. He walked along its edge, not quite ready to continue on.
An elderly man was sitting next to the river, apparently fishing. He whistled calmly and Ziri stopped next to him.
“Not sure where you're going, young man?”
Ziri shook his head. “I think I'm waiting for someone.”
The man shook his head. “Sometimes they do that, waiting for their loved ones to join them. Here, sit by me.”
Ziri sat down and watched the river run by. He watched as the soul of a young woman caught onto the man's fishing line and pulled herself out of the river. She then walked on, never looking back.
The man nodded as the woman disappeared around a bend.
“She'll be back. They always come back.”
“Where's she going?”
“She thinks she can get out of here by getting out of the river. She's not ready to stay.”
“She'll be a ghost?”
“She'll try. But she'll be back. They always come back.”
Ziri nodded and continued watching the river flow. He lost all track of time and somehow he began to feel time as if it were the river in front of him, flowing smoothly but never stopping for anything, never really changing pace.
The old man looked up and saw a Ki-Lin walking towards them.
“Don't see many of you here nowadays.”
The Ki-lin smiled as Ki-Lin do and motioned to Ziri. Ziri stood and placed a hand on the Ki-Lin's shoulder. The old man nodded and turned back to the river.
On a hill in the Fire Nation, a woman appeared. A moment later, a young man appeared beside her.
Waiting, as she had told them to, were Iroh and Jee. She had only two words for them.
“Protect him.”
Time sped up.
Shiroten blocked Kioko's attack and counterattacked.
Kagehi landed and continued running through the woods and into the open.
Zuko came at last from the woods and out into a meadow, the great city of Shian lying in front of him, the attack already having begun.
Agni landed on the outer wall of the Northern Water Tribe and roared, the Fire Nation ships trembling in the wake.
Azula fought her way to Jet and pulled him from the water.
Katara lunged forward to her feet and ran into the ruins, conscious of Zyperis steps behind her. Lying on a stone in front of her was a sheathed katana, the hilt wrapped in blue cloth.
“Draw me, Katara!”
Katara didn't hesitate, grabbing the katana from the stone and drawing it out. The characters down the opaque blade screamed.
Forged to be wielded by the Daughter of Nen
Katara held the Kün, the Blade of One Thousands Waves.
Zyperis stopped, bringing the Maiden up in front of him to guard and watched the girl in front of him tremble. True she was the Daughter of Nen but there was no way she could defeat him in swordplay.
Zuko drew the Qiäng from his belt and held it forward, the blades screaming forth from each end and urged his steed into the midst of the battle.
Jet placed a hand on the Hiketsu as he and Azula raced back into the battle, side by side.
Kioko whipped the Shöu forward to block the shadows screaming for her throat.
Far away, in no discernible place or dimension, a voice sounded.
“It is time.”
Ysteleperion,”
“Ondaledaishiron,”
“Entendarion,”
“Sentarshaidenn,”
“Jaermaiyan,”
“Laifstelria,”
“Korinthaidan,”
“Hear our voices loud and strong you children of those forgotten now. Forget the past and who you were and become who you were born to be. Dreams, memories, and power infinite are no longer strands beyond your reach. Go forth and claim the right of your birth and let no one stand before you! Accept the fate that awaits you. Bear not any word of refuse. Hear our voices as we speak you children of those forgotten now we implore. Forget the past and who you were and now become the Four.”
A light appeared in the sky, swirling in brilliance. Everywhere, people turned and looked up, the rain clouds being no hindrance to the aura. It spun for a moment at that point in the sky, a calm vortex, and then began to separate into five spires, a coordinating color for each element.
The light exploded, blinding all those nearby and sending each spire off across the countries.
The blue and white lights collided over Tasha, sending a second explosion over the earth. Jet felt the power welling up in him as the white light absorbed into the Hiketsu and from there spiraled over him, clothing him in its beauty. It paled his skin, eyes, and hair, wiping his mind off the past and the Son of Samir was born.
Shiroten was forced back as the green light poured down from the heavens, running like water over Hibari, over both armies, and into Kioko. She raised her head to the sky and let it flow over her. Because of her acceptance and knowledge of her fate, she was the Daughter of Kaia and always had been.
Fire's light roared down and engulfed Zuko as he clung to his ride. Above the battle, the light clothed him and the warring nations below stopped in awe as they saw him. The grievances of his past were washed away in the brilliant blaze and the Son of Agni was born.
Katara surrendered to the light the moment she felt its power sweeping over her, letting it have her and hold her as her element so often did. She gave no hindrance to it and the Daughter of Nen was born.
The light disappeared from the sky but the damage was done.
The Daughter of Nen raised the Kun over her head and tiny beads of light began to gather at its tip.
Zyperis watched the light with growing apprehension. Something was wrong. The girl's power had just skyrocketed.
Swirls of water came from nowhere, centering on the Kun.
“Rage, Kouryo!”
She brought the Kun down with all the strength in her body and torrents of water came from somewhere in the ruins, a raging river with only one target: Zyperis.
The Spirit Elemental he had for Water couldn't stand up to the fury of the Daughter of Nen. He stood for barely a minute against the surging inundation before he disappeared beneath the flood.
The Son of Samir stepped onto the rock outcrop by the bay of Tasha. He raised his hand, the Hiketsu glowing fiercely.
“Siege, Kazearashi.”
A tornado of wind blew over the army of Fire Nation soldiers, crushing what little spirit they had left, an army of undead falling to the ground, empty without their master.
The Son of Agni dismounted his steed and walked into the midst of the battle which had continued to rage around him. The storm crashed around them, the wind whipping them all. He raised the Qiäng over his head. The lightning that had already made its voice heard throughout the storm cracked and split the sky, drawn to the Qiäng.
Slowly, the Son of Agni brought the Qiäng down, holding it horizontally out in front of him.
“Burn, Hiraishin.”
Lightning exploded between earth and sky, devastating the Fire Nation army at Shian.
Shiroten forced himself to his feet, holding a spear that one of the Fire Nation soldiers had dropped.
The Daughter of Kaia lowered her gaze to him, the Shou spinning in her hand rapidly, past sight. He shucked the Fire Nation armor, throwing it to the ground. The light burned at his skin but he ignored the violent pain and ran forward, never hesitating with the spear at his side.
She raised her hand towards him as he ran.
“Roar, Te…”
Kioko choked on the name, the light blown away from her, her eyes wide. Slowly, she looked down at the spear protruding from her chest. Shiroten gasped with the effort of running and the pain of the light. Her head snapped up and their gaze met.
A single tear fell from her green eyes as her anger softened.
“I pitied you.”
Shiroten jerked the spear back, a sick tearing sound as it came free of her flesh.
“You shouldn't have.”
Kiro spiraled down out of the sky as Sainan dealt his death stroke. Kioko fell to her knees and crumpled, dead before she hit the ground.
Sainan landed behind the tired shadow-bender, shielding him from the light with a wing.
Shiroten sighed. “Take me away from here, Sainan…onegai.”
Sainan gave a low rumble, deep in his chest, almost soothing. Shiroten turned to mount into the leather saddle fitted high on the dragon's shoulders when the world spun beneath him. Sainan caught him in a claw and Shiroten rolled onto his hands and knees. There he was violently sick.
Arasoi led Li and King Bumi onto the fields just north of Tasha. Li cried out at the ruined Taiyoo but `Yashamaru' was silent.
King Bumi watched him as he ran his fingers over the feathers of a bow.
Li turned. “Yashamaru…what are you doing?”
`Yashamaru' spun and let the arrow fly, busting the lock off of King Bumi's prison. Throwing down the cursed bow, he hit the earth with his foot, knocking up a boulder and hurling it forward into Li. The poor Yuu-Yan was unconscious before he hit the ground.
Bumi knocked the door out and stepped quickly onto the earth. His silent eyes urged Arasoi to hurry, but he ran to Li. Quickly, he pulled the archer over his shoulders and then he ran silently began Bumi.
Haru grabbed the two children nearest him as the world reversed itself. Others around him followed his example, falling to their knees on the ground. He sheltered the two boys with his body as the wind tore at the world.
The Son of Agni raised a hand against the wind, blocking his eyes, and looked to the north through red-lined eyes. The light still flowed through him and he felt the Daughter of Kaia's death in his very soul.
A few of the Fire Nation soldiers not killed by his first blow rushed forward and he turned, a grave look on his face.
“For her,” he whispered, his voice warping slightly.
The Qiäng was tucked in his obi and he slid his right forward, bringing his arms from behind him forward, almost as a water-bender. The earth beneath him melted and he spun it, using the momentum to lift it high above himself. It rolled down around him, spinning in a large circle. He then lifted it in a large column.
A man with white hair and two scars over his eye came rushing forward.
“Stop it!” the man shouted.
With one hand, the Son of Agni upheld the column and lowered a hand towards the man.
The man felt a pushing deep inside him. The Son of Agni was forcing him back by bending his inner fire.
“Stop it!” The man shouted again. “What good is it to kill them?”
“They'll destroy the city.”
The Son of Agni flung the man across the field and brought the column crashing down, bending it from the city and over the army.
The white-haired man closed his eyes and walked forward.
Sensing an enemy, the Son of Agni turned to face him. The air around him began to super-heat, swirling, creating a whirlwind with him at the vortex.
The white-haired man forced his way through but instead of attacking or trying to restrain the Son, he wrapped his arms around him, embracing him, pulling the boy's head to his chest.
“Be still,”
The whirlwind raged for a moment more and then died away. The boy fell limp in his arms.
Jeong-Jeong looked at the boy, pushing away his wet black bangs from his eyes. He could've been the Fire Prince except he wasn't scarred. He picked him up, cradling him gently, and walked back to where his army stood bleakly, staring at the destroyed Fire Nation army in awe.
Hakoda stepped forward from the ranks, barely discernable from the others covered in blood, sweat, and mud.
“Who is he?”
Jeong-Jeong stopped and looked at him. “He is the strongest fire-bender I have ever seen.”
Agni viewed the Fire Nation army as it moved on the Northern Water Tribe. He fluttered his wings, his gaze narrow for a moment until it widened in horror.
From behind the ships rose a very familiar form.
It was a silver eagle with red eyes.
“Samir,” Agni whispered.
Samir rose into the clouds, gaining height with every burst of wind. At last he turned and hovered over the ice for a moment, glaring at the golden dragon so far below and then he pulled his wings flat against his body and fell, screaming through the air.
Agni leapt from the wall and Samir threw his wings open, chasing the dragon into the skies above the battle between Fire and Water.
The Fire God cried to his peer but the eagle could not or would not answer. They tore through the air, dodging, attacking, and counterattacking.
Spinning, Agni knocked Samir back with his tail and then shot a spire of flame into the nearest Fire Nation ship before Samir was upon him again, landing on his back and tearing at him with claws and beak.
Agni screamed and thrashed as Samir hooked his claws into the poor dragon's back, carrying him swiftly over the Northern Water Tribe and dropped him. Agni fell and crashed into the icy buildings, rolling to a stop.
In the destruction, he reverted to his human form unwillingly.
A young Water Tribe girl ran out from where she was hiding with her family to pull him to his feet. Agni quickly pushed her out of the way as Samir appeared from nowhere in his human form and grabbed him by the neck.
Holding him at least a foot above the ground, Samir glared at the Fire God.
“Don't make this too easy, Agni.”
Agni narrowed his gaze, forcing his body to completely relax.
“I don't have to tell you Eimin has a hold on you Samir, but kill me if you wish. I won't stop you.”
The girl watched, biting her lip in distress as the Air God fought in his own mind. Slowly, very slowly, the red glow disappeared from the air-bender's eyes and they became storm-gray again.
“Agni?”
Agni smiled. “Um, could you let me go, Samir?”
Samir quickly released him and placed a hand on his forehead. “I feel so…so…strange.”
“Do you feel well enough to help me save the Water Tribe?”
“We do.”
Mamoru and Kaia appeared, side by side and arm in arm. Samir smiled for a moment before losing his balance and nearly falling, but Agni caught him.
“Maybe you should stay here.”
The girl stood quickly.
“Kira, Safie,”
Two girls came out from the hut and the three of them helped the exhausted Samir into the hut.
The three gods then continued on to the gate of the Water Tribe. They stood just outside the city calmly.
While Agni blocked all the fireballs with a similar technique to Zuko's, Mamoru and Kaia worked to stop the fleet all together. Their movements were perfectly in sync and together they raised the earth beneath the ships. With nothing to hold them up, the ships tottered and collapsed into each other in a domino effect.
Kaia turned to her husband shyly and he smiled at her, brushing back her hair to gently kiss her lips.
Agni ran a hand through the icy water, ignoring its chill and thinking.
“Your people are safe, my beautiful Shasa. Take care of yourself now. I love you, forever and always.”
Nen rushed onto the destructive scene of Tasha. She felt the power washing over her from her daughter and dismounted her ride quickly. Her steps were unsteady as she rushed over the ground, moving hurriedly to the buried Earth Kingdom temple where she felt Katara's aura.
As she leapt into the hole, another aura swept over her, nearly choking her.
Zyperis pushed himself up slowly, the Maiden lying inches from his hand but he did not reach for her. He breathed deeply through an open mouth, his eyes blazing in anger.
Nen stared in horror at him as he stood, frozen in fear. This was his power, only his power, drawn from no supernatural force. This was his Spirit!
“Zyperis,” she tried to shout, to draw his attention, but her voice came out as barely a squeak.
A small sphere glowed at his palm as he and the Daughter of Nen faced each other down. The sphere lengthened, glowing softly a deep reddish orange, until it reached the size of a odachi.
“Zyperis, stop!” Nen shouted but the tear in the Pattern shattered against her, ripping her words from her mouth.
He took the hilt of the sword in both hands, running forward with the blade out to one side. As he ran, the blade tore a seam through the Pattern of time.
The Daughter of Nen raised the Kun to block but Nen knew it would be no match against balefire.
The blade was swung forward, knocking the Kun from her hands with its first blow and Zyperis easily changed directions, swinging down for her throat.
Somehow, he managed to stop the blade in time.
Sokka, having run forward to find Katara, stood in shock.
His mother stood between the fire-bender and Katara. For some reason, the fire-bender had stopped his attack, the blade less than an inch from his mother's neck.
The shock of her appearance had nearly pushed Zyperis into his normal state of mind but he was too surprised to release the balefire.
“Nen…Nen, you…you would step in front of balefire!?”
Nen narrowed her gaze, needing to reach the part of Zyperis that she knew didn't truly want to kill her daughter and those around her. He was angry but he loved her, like a son loved his mother, he loved her.
Sokka skidded down the hill, getting close enough to hear what they were saying just in time to hear his mother's next words.
“Zyperis, you would have done the same if it were I wielding the sword and Shiroten I moved to kill.”
Zyperis took a step back, trembling, and closed his eyes. Slowly, the balefire slipped out of existence. The spirit of the Daughter of Nen left Katara and she collapsed as Zyperis sighed and fell limp into Nen's arms. Sokka rushed forward and caught his sister.
Nen looked sadly into her son's wondering eyes as her true form flowed over her. A moment later, she and Zyperis were gone, leaving the people of Tasha to pick up their lives once more.
Eimin paced down the hall in the Sozun palace outside the door where the Water Goddesses were tending to his children.
Shasa came out, quietly closing the door behind her, her usual robes stretched with her stomach.
“How are both of them incapacitated when they won the battle!?”
Shasa sighed, one hand on her stomach. “Battles are both won and lost, Eimin.”
Nen pulled the blanket up on Shiroten and then checked the blind to make sure it was completely closed. Zyperis was sitting on the edge of the bed, looking down at the young shadow-bender.
He had just told her the truth.
Nen wiped a single tear from her eye.
“If it weren't for me, Nen, he would never be in such pain.”
He closed his eyes and turned from the fallen angel lying on the bed, resting his head in his hands. Nen walked over and let him rest his head on her stomach. Listening to the sobs that wracked the Dark Prince, Nen brushed her hand through his hair and held him close.
She thought of Sokka and Katara, of the look on her son's face when he saw her at Tasha, the mother he thought was dead. She thought of Hakoda.
“They say when you love someone to let them go, but sometimes that is the hardest part.”
Jet and Katara were each bedded down in their respective bedrooms. Outside, Aang and Toph worked with the other earth-benders to restore the city. Through the eastern window in Jet's bedroom you could see the smoke from the funeral pyres of the Fire Nation soldiers. Lord Mako had believed they deserved a proper funeral, Fire Nation or not.
Shiroten woke slowly. He remembered dimly Sainan carrying him to a place he'd never been before but he recognized it as being somewhere in the Fire Nation. He remembered Nen and Shasa helping him to a bed.
He tried to open his eyes but they felt as if they were weighed down. It seemed to take forever just for them to open. When he finally could see, he was immediately blinded by light.
Sitting up sharply, he blocked his eyes with an arm and backed against the head of the bed, trying to escape the light.
But he felt no pain.
Slowly, he lowered his arm and his eyes adjusted to the light, a light he hadn't looked comfortably on in years. Then his gaze shifted to the still upraised arm.
The still upraised tan arm.
Shiroten sat up, holding both hands in front of his face. Instead of the pale skin he was used to, his skin was dark, tan, Earth Kingdom skin.
He removed the bandage on his arm and the blood from the cut ran red, not black. He tossed back the blankets and ran across the room to a mirror.
Green eyes stared back at him, eyes framed by shaggy brown hair. Tan hands pressed the new skin when he moved his hands and those green eyes blinked when he blinked.
He was pure again.
Earth Kingdom clothing was laid out for him on a nearby chair and he quickly dressed, feeling out of place, surrounded by Fire Nation finery.
Stepping tentatively into the next room, he looked around and saw no one.
“You will be escorted to the border by several of my Elite guards.”
Shiroten spun around to see Zyperis, standing at the window in Fire Nation colors, a smaller version of the Fire Lord's crown tucked into his topknot. Zyperis was standing almost pointedly with his back to him.
“Zyperis, what…”
Zyperis turned and met his gaze. His face was hard and his eyes sparked, but his lip twitched and Shiroten could see something was wrong.
“I want you to leave.”
Shiroten blinked. “Am I not strong enough for Father? I did kill the Daughter of Kaia, isn't that…”
Then he stopped, Zyperis' words truly registering with him. His eyes widened.
“You said…”
Zyperis gritted his teeth to keep his face from betraying him.
“Yes, Shiroten, I am the one who wants you to leave.”
“But why? Zyperis…nii-san…”
“You are not my brother…and you never were.”
Shiroten stopped, staring in surprise.
“What do you mean? Eimin…stole me from my real family?”
“No, I did.”
Time seemed to stop. Shiroten couldn't believe, wouldn't.
“The man you saw the night you left home was I. The man who took the light of your soul was I. I am the source of your pain. I should bear your hatred and no one else.”
Shiroten blinked, trying and failing to understand.
“But Zyperis…you…I…why, Zyperis?
Zyperis turned away once more. “Because I could.”
Shiroten stepped forward, reaching for the only person who had ever cared for him.
“Tell me you're lying. Zippy…please, tell me you're lying!”
He touched Zyperis' shoulder and Zyperis spun around, catching him across the chest and pushing him back. Shiroten tried and failed to regain his balance and fell.
“GET OUT!” Zyperis shouted.
Several guards came in.
“Escort this man to the border and there give him provisions for his journey. He is not to be harmed.”
“Yes, my lord.”
They bowed and took Shiroten up by his arms. Shiroten cried out to Zyperis one last time, but Zyperis would not even look at him.
When everyone was gone, Zyperis crumpled to the floor and sobbed.
Nen stood on the battlements of the wall surrounding the ruined Fire Nation city of Kozoku. She looked out over the grassy fields, lit up with the fiery sunset. Zyperis stood next to her. In the last few hours he had changed so. Nen still didn't quite know what was going through is head, but he had changed.
She took a deep breath and sang as if she were alone.
Many nights we've prayed
With no proof anyone could hear
In our heart a hopeful song
We barely understood
Now we are not afraid
Although we know there's much to fear
We were moving mountains
Long before we knew we could
 
There can be miracles
When you believe
Though hope is frail
It's hard to kill
Who knows what miracles?
You can achieve
When you believe
Somehow you will
You will when you believe
 
The last thing she expected was for Zyperis to step up behind her. In his eyes, she could see that he was still watching Shiroten leave, though the shadow-bender had been out of sight for hours. If there was ever a man loved, it was Shiroten.
Zyperis closed his eyes and continued her song with his own grief.
In this time of fear
When prayer so often proves in vain
Hope seems like the summer birds
To have swiftly flown away
Now I'm standing here
Nen smiled.
Now I'm standing here
 
Zyperis sang softly and Nen raised her head to the setting sun.
 
My heart so full
I can't explain
Seeking faith
And saying words
I never thought I'd say
 
They sang the chorus together.
There can be miracles
When you believe
(When you believe)
Though hope is frail, it's hard to kill
Who knows what miracles
You can achieve
When you believe
Somehow you will
You will when you believe
 
Nen smiled and leaned back into Zyperis.
“You did the right thing today.”
Zyperis smiled very slightly. “I hope he finds peace.”
Nen closed her eyes.
Jet woke up slowly and Azula embraced him. With the crying of his name, his memory returned and he kissed her, loving the feel of her against him. Times were going to get worse, much worse, but things could be good for a little while.
Sitting on the hill overlooking the sea, Katara was thinking of Zuko. It had been almost a week and he hadn't returned. She knew that if he was okay he would've returned by now. Her heart wouldn't let her believe he was dead, but her mind knew it to be true.
Toph sighed. “He's a fire-bender. He can take care of himself.”
Katara closed her eyes and sang.
 
Who can say for certain?
Maybe you're still here
I feel you all around me
Your memory so clear
Deep in the stillness
I can hear you speak
You're still an inspiration
 
Can it be
That you are mine?
Forever love
And you are watching over me from up above?
 
Fly me up to where you are
Beyond the distant star
I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for a while
To know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where to you are
 
Are you gently sleeping
Here inside my dream
And isn't faith believing
All power can't be seen
As my heart holds you
Just one beat away
I cherish all you gave me
Everyday
 
Cause you are mine
Forever love
Watching me from up above
And I believe
That angels breathe
And that love will live on and never leave
 
Fly me up to where you are
Beyond the distant star
I wish upon tonight
To see you smile
If only for a while
To know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where to you are
I know you're there
A breath away's not far
To where you are
 
Arasoi had been home for barely a day. His wife, Majinai, was as silent and solemn as always. Since their son had run away, she had barely said a word. She blamed herself for telling him he had no father. He had been at war and to prevent dishonor, she had kept his name to herself, their bastard child growing up scorned and hated.
He promised her to find him, but he'd been unable to do so. He didn't even know what the boy looked like.
Yet, even when he had walked up alone into the village, she had rushed into his arms and he had held her as if he'd never let go.
He sat at the table and covered his face in his hands while she sat on the dirt floor, her head resting on his hip.
Outside, suddenly, Arasoi heard voices, curious voices. He stood and Majinai followed.
In the middle of the street, a boy was standing, maybe sixteen years old, brown hair and bright green eyes.
Arasoi didn't have to ask. He knew those eyes.
Shiroten stopped. He knew that woman standing there. She was older, her face more lined, but he knew her.
Majinai stepped forward from behind Arasoi and the gaze of the villagers shifted to her. Trembling, Shiroten stepped forward.
“Mother?”
She didn't hesitate this time, the beauty springing back into her face, guided by the hope she had never let go. She rushed forward and he stepped into her arms, together falling to their knees in the middle of the street.
Majinai raised her head to the sky as she let her tears flow freely. Then she lowered her gaze and kissed her son, kissing away the tears that had come there.
“Shiroten, my beautiful Shiroten, my white heaven, my love, my son, Oh, how much I missed you!”
Shiroten was unable to speak.
Arasoi noticed a man standing just back from the crowd. He was watching Shiroten with a strange look on his face. Arasoi started forward to confront him and as he got closer, he realized that the man wasn't looking at Shiroten, but at Majinai. The look on his face was jealousy.
Before Arasoi could reach him, the man turned. As he walked away, Arasoi heard him speak.
“Be happy, Shiroten. Release your hatred and your pain. Forget the life I made you endure. Love and live…that's all I ask of you.”
Then he was gone.
Arasoi turned back to his wife and son, confident that all would be well from this day on.
 
In the camp of the army of Earth Kingdom and Water Tribe soldiers, a young man awoke in a dark blue tent. A man was sitting nearby, clearly of the Water Tribe. He sat forward when he realized the teenager was awake.
“Do you feel all right, son?”
He blinked and looked at the ceiling of the tent. “I feel fine.”
“What is your name?”
A small look of distress came over his face as his forehead tensed in thought.
“I don't know.”
“Do you remember what happened before?”
“I remember the battle but nothing else, nothing before that.”
“Are you sure?”
“I am. I do not remember.”
 
The Fire Nation was being addressed directly by its Lord.
Fire Lord Ozai stood on the balcony. Peris stood behind him in the shadows.
“You have experienced great confusion. Your prince and princess have abandoned you. My new heir will guide you through this time of war and I am confident he will lead you strongly when I am gone!”
Cheers met his word as well as cries of `Long live the Fire Lord!'
Ozai gestured behind him and Peris stepped forward. Those who knew him cheered harder and he raised a hand for silence.
Just as a fire is covered by smoke and a mirror is obscured by dust, just as the embryo rests deep within the womb, wisdom is hidden by selfish desire. The war stands on the edge of a knife. A step in either direction could tip the tides against us. As a people, we must stand strong behind those who lead us and our greatest Leader, Agni himself, will give victory to us. When fire is applied to stone, it cracks. When fire is applied to water, it dissipates. When fire is applied to air, it dissolves into chaos. Fire conquers all and as fire, we shall conquer the world!”
Eimin watched his son's speech with a strange sense of pride. Pride in himself, however.
The Fire Nation would conquer the world. The Fire Nation would be conquered by Death.
 
END OF ARC 1
ARC 2: The Mark of the Four
WILL CONTINUE IN approx. 1 MONTH.
MEANING I AM TAKING A MONTH OFF.
 
(Behind the Scenes)
Zyperis: Why are you so mean to me!!
Elenea: `Cause you are so perfect! If I wasn't mean to you, they'd bash you for a Gary-Stu!
Zyperis: A what!?
(music plays in background)
Elenea: There must be some confusion for you see…
Zyperis: ..this person is…
Elenea: (pauses)…unusually and inexplicably peculiar and all together quite impossible to explain
Zyperis: ….Blonde.
Elenea: (stares at her brown locks as music keeps playing) What is this feeling, so sudden and new?
Zyperis: I felt the moment I laid eyes on you.
Elenea: My pulse is rushing…
Zyperis: My head is reeling…
Elenea: My face is blushing…(OMG!)
(together)
Fervid as a flame
Does it have a name?
YeeeeeeeeEEEEESSS!
Loathing. Unadulterated loathing.
Elenea: For your face…
Zyperis: Your voice…
Elenea: Your clothing!
(together) Let's just say…I loathe it all!
Every little trait however small
makes my very flesh begin to crawl
With simple utter loathing.
There's a strange exhilaration
In such total detestation
It's so pure so strong
(other Prophesied characters come on stage)
Though I do admit it came on fast
Still I do believe that it can last.
And I will be loathing, loathing you my whole life through.
(All other characters, including Zuko!)
My dear Elenea you are just too good. How do you stand it I don't think I could.
(pointing fingers at Zyperis)
He's a terror. He's a tartar. We don't mean to show a bias but Elenea, you're a martyr.
Elenea: Well…These things are sent to try us…
(Zyperis rolls eyes)
(characters)
Poor Elenea forced to decide
To deal with a muse so disgusticified
We just want to tell you:
We're all on your side!!
We'll share in your…
Elenea and Zyperis: What is this feeling? So sudden and new?
(Loathing)
I felt the moment I laid eyes on you!
(Unadulterated loathing! For his face, his voice, his clothing)
My pulse is rushing
(Let's just say)
My head is reeling
(We loathe it all!)
Oh, what is this feeling?
(Ev'ry little trait however small makes our very flesh begin to crawl..)\
(All) AhhhhhhhhHHHHHHH! Loathing!
Elenea and Zyperis: There's a strange exhilaration!
(Loathing)
In such total detestation!
(Loathing)
It's so pure, so strong!
(so strong!)
Though I do admit it came on fast!
(Loathing)
Still I do believe that it can last!
(Loathing)
And I will be loathing
For forever loathing
Truly, deeply loathing you
Loathing you!!!
My whole life long!
(Unadulterated loathing!)
Zyperis: BOO!
Elenea: (screams shortly with cast)
(Everyone poses with last beat of song and curtain falls)