Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Sibling Fire: Azula and Zuko Ficlets ❯ Sister ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: Done for the “History” theme at avatar contest on Livejournal
 
Sister

She had a history of burning him - laughing gleefully as the hot streaks of lightening licked his skin, leaving a pathway of boils and blisters. It took forever to heal, mostly because she would find someway to touch the wound, grabbing it.
 
"Hey Zuzu..." She squeezed; he winced. She leaned close to his ear and whispered, "Train with me." Which really meant, "Let me torture you."
 
And she'd laugh, and find other ways to burn him again - with words, with looks, with the way she slipped poison into his mind, cracking at his honor and muffling his true destiny.
She always knew the right things to say, even if she was wrong.
 
And she scarred him - her duplicitous affection reaching through to the bone. Sibling love was all too foreign to him; he and Azula played those roles in different ways. It had always been about competition for Father's love, which Zuko had always failed at - no matter how hard he tried, no matter what he did.
 
It was all so silly, really. He was no match for Azula in that respect and it took him a long time to learn he no longer needed to match her. He no longer would let her burn him like she always would.
 
The pathway to the outside world stretched before him, promising him a new history where Azula didn't belong. Until then, the Western Air Temple and the Avatar would provide the sanctuary he was meant for.
 
When he returned, he would match his sister with a different kind of fire. And then, he would win.