Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Speak ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

For Lake Logai (I don't care how you spell it.) Spoilers if you haven't seen it.
 
Speak
 
Smellerbee was crying. She hadn't cried in a long time. She had not cried since she was six years old and watched her parents bleed and burn. She hadn't known loss like this since.
 
She felt Longshot's hand tighten around hers, and knew she wasn't alone in this.
 
Jet had lost consciousness. His wounds were all internal: crushed bones and punctured innards. He would die slowly and painfully. But he wouldn't be alone.
 
“What are we going to do?” she asked. Her voice sounded hollow as it bounced around the room. “Without him, how can we do anything?”
 
They'd spent two weeks without him. They could survive.
 
“But we can't.”
 
We'll have to.
 
She fell silent. Two arms entrapped her. Suddenly she was sobbing. For years she'd seen people go, and Jet was the most important person to her.
 
No, she realized, breathing in the scent of wood and metal from the boy beside her. Second most important person.
 
“What are we going to do?”
 
Live.
 
Her crying quieted. She was out of tears. Longshot was still holding tight, and she was thankful.
 
“I've never heard your voice before,” she whispered. Such a stupid thing to talk about right now. “Why don't you ever talk?” Would you wait until the end of my life to talk to me?
 
He nodded against her. The straw hat fell back a little.
 
“You always listen,” she babbled. God, just shut your mouth. Before someone else goes away forever.
 
“I just want you to talk to me.”
 
He was crying. She knew it. She could feel the tears in her hair. They'd grown so close, she thought. He knew all her secrets, and she knew his story, even if he'd never told her it. They were closer than anything else.
 
They were closer than life and death.
 
“I love you.”
 
The voice wasn't hers and she realized it was his. Odd. She'd been thinking the same thing.
 
Death, which plants the seeds for new life.
 
“What are we going to do?” she repeated. For once, she was the one who didn't have to say anything.
 
It was a question that didn't need an answer.
 
Notes:
I resurrected myself to write some Smellershot. Now I'm watching a mummy movie with cheesy effects.
((That's what makes it good.))