Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ What it really means to love ❯ Yesterday's Feelings ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I do not own Avatar the Last Air bender.
“Talking”
`Thinking'
Yesterday's Feelings
Zuko's POV
“WATCH OUT!” Aang yelled before running full speed and jumping into the spring.
Katara yelped when a wave of water covered her head and she went under.
“Aang I'm gonna get you for that.” Katara threatened to a retreating Aang.
Zuko watched Katara tackle Aang and dunk him.
The past few weeks were a lot better after he and Katara's argument. That night they sat up talking getting to know one another. Ever since then things were in a slow progression to the better. It took a long time before she'd stop looking at him with that mistrustful face.
Zuko was in a daze lying by the spring while everyone else took a break and swam. He stared up at the clouds smirking slightly. For once in his life he felt happy, despite all that was going on outside their little world he was content for now.
A dark cloud hovered over Zuko blocking out the sun. He squinted trying to make out its shape.
“What is that?” He questioned out loud sitting up slightly.
The cloud fell on him soaking him. He turned to the water to see Aang, Katara, Toph, and Sokka laughing hysterically. It was no cloud it was a huge bubble of water. He tried to give them the angry look instead he broke out in a huge grin.
“You two are going to defiantly pay for that.” Zuko grinned jumping in the spring after the two benders.
This was how they spent the rest of the afternoon laughing and swimming. For those hours they didn't have a care in the world.
Aang's POV
Aang was walking the air temple alone. The last week or so he'd been taking these walks alone trying to clear his head. He was having fun up here hiding out learning firebending. He was getting closer to Zuko as a friend. He felt ready to go back out but Zuko would always argue him down. So he took these walks alone trying to figure things out not as Aang but as the Avatar. He was torn, part of him wanted to stay here hidden away from the world living out the rest of his days with Katara and his friends. But the other part of him felt the pain of separation. The Avatar existed to help people. Here in the western air temple he was helping no one but himself.
Aang heard footsteps quickly approaching him. He knew from the sound of the strides that it was Zuko and he wasn't happy. It might have been because Aang didn't show up to firebending practice.
“Aang, what the hell are you doing?” Zuko growled.
“I can't do this anymore.” Aang sighed sitting down on a statue ledge.
Zuko sat next to him and sighed softly, “What firebending practice? You are doing really well.”
“It's not that, it's this.” Aang waved his hand, “All of this, hiding, waiting, and not doing anything. I can't keep doing this Zuko.”
Zuko looked at the ground, “I know,” Was his response which surprised Aang.
“What are we going to do then?” Aang sighed
Zuko shrugged, “I guess we talk to everyone about leaving.”
Aang nodded, “I think it's time we move on. I do not wish to stop training with you but I think we need to see what's going on in the world.”
Zuko patted Aang on the back, “Maybe you are right, I've just been afraid things will not go well. But I cannot keep you up here forever.”
Aang smiled, “Thanks for caring Zuko.”
“You better not tell anyone I care.” Zuko warned.
Aang smiled, “Ok I won't this time.”
Zuko headed back to camp leaving Aang to his thoughts.
Zuko's POV
Zuko felt butterflies in the pit of his stomach after his conversation with Aang. They would have to resurface and face the world. He was not yet ready to share them. He was not ready to face his decision.
“This is the right thing to do.” He comforted himself.
What bothered him the most was the feeling he got when he looked at Aang. He wanted to protect him from harm; he never wanted to see him look so disappointed and sad again.
Zuko shook the feeling off as friendship. Friends don't want to see their friends disappointed right?
Still deep in thought Zuko went back to his sleep area and decided to rest for a little while.
“Hey?” Katara said approaching him.
Zuko cracked an eye and sat up, “Hey.”
“So what's going on? I haven't seen Aang in hours.” She questioned.
“He wants to move on from here. I know that we need to, but…”
“But you aren't ready.” Katara interrupted.
“Is that selfish?” Zuko hung his head.
“No, you are afraid. You made a big decision and there are going to be a lot of angry people waiting out there for you.”
Zuko shook his head, “that isn't even my main concern. Will Aang be safe? What if my father comes too soon? What if I've failed him as a teacher? What if..”
Katara cut him off again, “There are a lot of what ifs Zuko, but you know as well as I that we can not hide him up here forever. I think about this stuff everyday. He is such a good person that is why he is Avatar. He knows it is his destiny and we all must accept that. That is why we are with him, to help guide him on his way. Not to hide him out.”
Zuko sighed again, “You're right.”
Katara squeezed Zuko's shoulder, “I know, I'm glad you finally noticed.”
Zuko looked puzzled at Katara who was grinning like Sokka.
“Ha, ha, ha.” He teased back.