Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ What it really means to love ❯ Bitter Pill ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thank you for the reviews reading them makes me happy.
I do not own Avatar the Last Air bender.
“Talking”
`Thinking'
Bitter Pill
Katara's POV
Katara sat staring at the fire long after everyone had gone to bed. Aang tried to talk to her but she would not even look at him.
`How could I have been so blind?' she sighed.
Maybe she was hindering their mission. Hearing that she was hindering the mission was nothing coming from Zuko, but the fact was Aang said it first. Not in the same rude tone but he said it first and she hadn't listened to him. Zuko yelling at her struck a cord. When had she become so unforgiving? Not trusting Zuko was understandable but her behavior was not. She came with Aang to help him take his place as Avatar and end this silly war. Somewhere along the way she'd forgotten that.
“Katara?” Sokka's voice questioned behind her.
“I'm ok Sokka; go to bed get some rest.” Katara said trying to sound strong.
Sokka sat down next to her instead, “You know sometimes I can't even remember mom.” He started, “All I see is your face. You've been taking care of me so long that I forget from time to time. But then something will happen and I will miss her soo furiously that it burns my soul. I loved her too. You are not the only one who lost someone.”
“You don't act like it.” Katara blurted out.
Sokka shook his head slightly frustrated, “I used to be angry too. But I realized that would solve nothing. Anger, greed, hate, power, all these things started this war. Fighting anger with anger is not going to end it. I know you are better than this Katara. You have to let it go. You have to let her go.”
A rivulet of tears began falling from Katara's eyes, “When did I turn into a monster? I love you guys, I just don't want to see Aang get hurt the way we were hurt.”
“He's the Avatar Katara, he's lost all of his people and yet he has it in his heart to get past that. I think that if he can, you can.” Sokka said softly hugging his sister.
Katara cried into his shoulder, “I'm soo sorry.” She kept repeating into his tear soaked shoulder.
“It's ok, we all make mistakes.” He comforted.
Katara leaned back taking a deep breath and wiping her eyes, “When did you become so smart Sokka?”
Sokka brushed his shoulders off and straightened his shirt, “I've always been this smart.”
Katara laughed, “Yeah right.”
Sokka gave her a playful puppy dog face, which only made her laugh harder.
“Well I'm going to bed.” Sokka said standing up, “Just try to be a little easier on the kid.”
Katara nodded her head deep in thought as Sokka retired to a nearby sleeping bag.
Zuko's POV
Zuko lay on his side staring into the dark night.
`Maybe I was too hard on her.' Zuko sighed.
Despite all that she'd said to him Zuko still pitied the girl. Her life was nothing like his, it was cushy and pain was supposed to be something to avoid. His life was full of pain and he had to meet it head on, or be branded a coward. He felt sorry for her, being dragged into this whole mess.
Zuko tensed when he heard soft footsteps.
“Zuko?” someone whispered.
Zuko lit a small flame in his hand for light. He was surprised to see Katara standing there in a fighting stance.
“I'm not going to burn you I'm just using this fire for light.” Zuko eased.
Katara relaxed her stance a bit, “I wanted to talk to you Zuko.”
Zuko looked perplexed, “Talk?”
“Yes talk.” She answered more sure of herself.
“Ok well come in.” Zuko motioned to his cramped space.
Katara squeezed in. They both said quietly hugging their knees like nervous children. Zuko was the first to relax into a crossed leg position.
“I didn't mean to speak like that to you earlier, I apologize.” Zuko bowed.
“I thought you said you were done, what was it kissing my ass.” Katara responded.
Zuko sighed, “If this is what you came for then you should leave.”
“No.” Katara bit her lip, “I didn't come here to be like that to you anymore. I knew I was doing it but I couldn't stop myself. I am sorry Zuko. I never intended on making things so difficult for you. I'm not saying I'm going to start trusting you, but I want to work in the direction that we may become friends. Not in the suspicious drive you away direction.”
Zuko was silent and Katara took a deep breath, both silently hoped the other would believe it wasn't too late.
Meanwhile at the Palace……..
Lord Ozai snarled at a general giving him a report on the Avatar.
“FIND THEM, AND FIND THAT BASTARD SON OF MINE!” he yelled to the room full of war generals.
Only after everyone left did Azula approach her father with a proposal.
“Daddy, Daddy, Daddy,” She smiled bowing slightly before he waved her to come closer.
“You have an idea on where they are?” he asked impatiently.
“Daddy it is unlike you to be so impatient. Perhaps you should take a minute and breathe before I tell you what I have come up with.” She smiled innocently.
Lord Ozai took a deep breath in and out before straightening himself, “You're right pumpkin, you're always right. That is why you will inherit my throne and continue what your grandfather has built. I'm calm now; tell me about your plan.”
Azula smiled deviously, “Our problem is the avatar and his friends, and together they make pretty formidable opposition. But if we could separate them and then strike the Avatar would have no chance.”
“How would we separate them, what do you know about them?”
“There is a girl called Suki that seems to be of interest to the water peasants' brother. If I were to accidently divulge the location of her imprisonment perhaps it would make its' way to his ears. Then he would come rushing in to save her.”
“But how would that separate them?” Ozai questioned.
“Well we will have to intercept Zuko somehow. I know something you have that he wants. All you have to do is promise to give the information to him as a trade for information on the Avatar.”
Lord Ozai raised a hand for his daughter to stop talking, “Your plan is amusing but I know how to make it better. You see unlike you I do not believe your brother would so willingly walk back into fire nation territory with the risk of getting caught. So I want to you lure that boy here he will come with the waterbender or the earthbender, Zuko and Aang will not be so willing until we capture the first two. Then if I know my son correctly he will barrel in here trying to play hero to protect the Avatar. When he does we will not meet him but she will meet him with an offer he can't refuse. It will be so nice to see those kids faces when Zuko betrays them a second time. They will surely not accept him back and the Avatar will have no choice but to foolishly try and rescue his friends. Then we can capture him and end all of them including Zuko.” The flame in the Fire King's eyes burned bright with hatred.
Azula nodded in agreement, “This will be the end of the Avatar and the beginning of the Fire Nation's rule on the world.”