Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ What it really means to love ❯ I'm so Sick ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Thank you again for the reviews:
MastaDrumma22: I wanted them to speak a little bit more adult because the story is going to get a little bit more adult. Plus I'm trying to use different words spice it up a bit. I'm glad you noticed thanks means it's working.
I do not own Avatar the Last Air bender.
“Talking”
`Thinking'
I'm so Sick
Zuko's POV
Zuko cracked one eye open, “How long has it been Appa?”
Appa just yawned; Zuko wasn't exactly sure how long they'd been sleeping. The sun was way past it's midpoint in the sky and if they didn't hurry then they wouldn't make it back before sunset.
Zuko was getting antsy waiting for them, he couldn't sit still he started pacing.
“What if something happened to them Appa? Should I go look for them? Maybe I should give them some more time. What do you think?” he turned to look at the flying bison for support.
Appa just raised an eyebrow in confusion.
“Is it bad that this is the longest conversation I've had in ages?”
Appa laughed, which disturbed Zuko a bit. Not only was he talking to an animal, it understood him, and it was making fun of him. What was his life coming to when a flying bison could laugh at his situation?
Zuko flopped back on the ground against Appa. “If the sun goes down and they are not back I'll have to go and look for them. If I have to look for them it may blow their cover if they are ok. But if they aren't then I can't let the fire nation get Aang.”
Appa was silent, but his stomach rumbled loudly, “I hear you boy, I'm hungry too I wish they would hurry.”
Zuko leaned his head back into Appa's fur and commenced the waiting process yet again.
He was nodding off to sleep again when he heard voices in the distance and leaves crunching. It could just be them returning or it could be a fire nation patrol. Thinking quickly Zuko forced Appa out of the clearing and farther into the dense part of the forest, hoping that could mask him enough to not arouse any suspicion.
Zuko gestured for Appa to keep as quiet as possible. He was taking quiet shallow breaths until he saw them. Three fire nation guards on patrol.
“I hate patrolling this stupid forest nobody is out here. Do they honestly believe that Prince Zuko and the Avatar would step foot in a fire nation village so soon after that embarrassment they called an invasion?” One of the guards boasted.
“I don't even care about that,” another said, “This place just gives me the willies and the sun is going down soon.”
The third held up his hand, “Did you hear that?”
The three men quickly turned serious and faced Zuko's hiding place. Zuko held is breath, did they see him?
An unidentified animal came running full speed out of Zuko's hiding place. Guard number three roasted him on sight. Guard number two took his spear and kabobed the poor burned animal.
“What are you doing?” Guard one asked him.
“What I'm not letting this go to waste I'm taking it back home and making stew.” Guard two answered seriously.
The three Guards left the forest, Zuko was frozen and angry.
`What is taking them so long, this is getting too dangerous' he thought angrily
Three times he counted to ten trying to relax. His legs were cramping from crouching in his hiding position. The sun was all the way down before he heard Sokka's voice in the clearing.
Zuko was tempted to count to ten again when he heard them laughing. They hadn't been any danger they'd made him wait all day without concern.
“I KNEW IT!” Katara yelled when they entered the empty clearing.
“Don't jump to conclusions Katara.” Toph warned.
“There has to be an explanation, he must be nearby.” Aang said uncertainly.
Zuko watched the four of them searching blindly in the dark dense forest. He should have come right out and told him he hadn't left, but part of him wanted to hear what they'd say in the absence of his presence.
“OK, so I might be with Katara on this one.” Sokka frowned.
“I think he left, he stole Appa left and is going to get the fire nation right now. We need to make a run for it before he comes back with the army.” Katara concluded.
Aang shook his head, “No Zuko wouldn't do that.”
“Look around Aang, We are here and he is NOT” She sneered, “Does anyone have a better idea of where he went? I knew he was no good, I tried to tell you but nooooooo.”
Zuko decided this was a good time to make a debut. He jumped out of the bushes narrowly avoiding Katara's water whip but coming in full contact with a blast of air.
“What the hell man?” Sokka squeaked.
“We need to get a move on. The Fire Nation army was patrolling this area. I'm sure they have rounds so that means they will be back.” Zuko said calmly dusting himself off.
“Where were you? Katara interrogated.
“Hiding in the bushes listening to you accuse me of betrayal.” Zuko scoffed.
Katara turned away from Zuko red faced.
“Let's go, Appa is in the brush over here.” He smiled at her loss of words.
Zuko was proud that he'd proved the distrustful girl wrong. The entire ride back to the western air temple was silent. Beautiful silence, she wasn't ridiculing him or accusing the fire nation of atrocities. Katara was just silent. Zuko wished she would be this silent all the time.
`If she were this quiet I might like her.' He thought.
When Appa landed everyone congregated in a circle for dinner. Aang started the fire showing off his newly acquired skills to Zuko.
Zuko nodded in conformation of a job well done.
Aang sat down, “Sorry it took us so long. There was a festival and we got caught up. We did make sure to bring you some clothes and some treats from it.” He presented the stuff to Zuko who graciously accepted it.
“It's ok.” Zuko lied, “Thank you for getting me these things.”
Truth was Zuko was angry, maybe even a little jealous that they so willingly left him behind. No one even thought perhaps he would enjoy a festival of his own people.
`It's stupid to get angry; you were the one who said you would stay behind.' Zuko scolded himself.
Aang heated stew he'd obtained from the festival with some kind of bread, and served it to the group.
“This is delicious; who knew fire benders could cook such good stew.” Sokka said with a mouthful of stew and bread.
“If you like this then there are other dishes you would like.” Zuko piped in.
“Really can you cook them?” Sokka said with stars in his eyes.
“I can maybe if I give you a list you can go back to the village and get some ingredients.”
Sokka grinned, “Yes anything for good food. I'm tired of fish and other burned food. Or plants, or bugs.”
The camp seemed to relax a bit.
“So what was your idea of a compromise from our conversation earlier?” Aang asked.
Zuko chewed and swallowed, “What if we stay in hiding a bit longer so that I can at least get you trained in the basics of fire bending. When I am satisfied with that we can move on. My Father is one of if not the best fire bender in the fire nation, so rushing is very dangerous.”
“Yes but doing nothing is equally as dangerous. Every move I make can be seen as cowardice. I was missing for a hundred years; I don't want the people to think I've abandoned them again.” Aang debated.
“Is that what this is about? Without your support the other nations would never have attacked. That was the first time they've stood up to the fire nation in years. I do not think that the people will think you have abandoned them. It's just that facing my father is going to be very dangerous I don't think you understand how much so. Give me a few more weeks, days, anything before you go running back into battle. Being ill prepared can have perilous consequences.” Zuko said concerned.
“Maybe you just want us to stay in hiding long enough for your fire nation to regain control.” Katara mumbled.
For a moment the camp stopped. Zuko tried to count to ten but he was on his feet before his brain caught up with the motions.
“I am so fucking sick and tired of you Katara.” Zuko growled.
“I've been sick and tired of you PRINCE Zuko.” Katara shot back.
“Ever since I joined you have done nothing but accuse and doubt me. I know that I have done things in the past but I am trying. You are not trying at all.”
“Why should I try? For the people who killed my….”
“I AM NOT THE FIRE NATION” Zuko interrupted, “I am not the fire nation.” He said again a bit more calmly, “I did not kill your mother. I did not order anyone to kill your mother. I did not direct the fire nation's army. I am just one person I am not the entire Fire Nation. I am not my father. He took my own mother his wife and killed her. He burned my face and sent me out to hunt down someone he thought was dead. You know why, because in a meeting I asked why he would send men into harm's way. They had families and children I thought that being a general meant making the best battle decisions. I did not think it meant sending your men into suicide missions without a second thought on their lives. You know what he told me? Those men would be happy to die for the fire nation. THOSE MEN HAD NO IDEA THEY WERE DYING FOR THE FIRE NATION!”
“Oh boo hoo.” Katara mocked.
“No.” Zuko said firmly, “I am sorry for what has happened in everyone's life. But I refuse to apologize to you or anyone else any longer. I am trying to move forward and correct the past with the future. Yet I cannot continue living in the past kissing your ass every time I see you because something bad happened to you at the hands of my people. I am sick of you treating me like shit. I am sick of you being so angry at me. You have anger; you have hate, put it into the battlefield. This is not the battlefield and all you are doing is hindering progress with your childish behavior.”
Katara opened her mouth to speak and closed it again. No one came to her aid. No one stood up for her, not even Sokka. Deep down Katara knew that Zuko was right but she was just so angry.
“Thank you for the dinner and the clothes Aang but I am going to retire to bed.” Zuko bowed politely and walked away from the camp before Katara could collect herself.