Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ When Ice and Lava Meet ❯ Tell Them You Followed Me ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don’t own Avatar: The Last Air-bender, the very talented team of Mike and Brain own the show and characters. The rating maybe wrong but I did try to get it right.

By: year of the snake (at fanfiction) aka. crescentmoon (at mediaminer). And now Opal-Dreams on DeviantArt.

When Ice and Lava Meet


Chapter Twelve

“Katara, what are you doing?” asked Toph when she awoke to the sound of things clanking. “Oh skunk-goats and ferret-pigs!” Toph plugged her nose. “What is that smell!?! Did something die and begin to rot in here!?!”
“Oh Toph, you’re awake!” Katara’s voice was bubbly and tired. “I’m making Southern Water Tribe war paint.”
Toph’s eyes stung and watered. “Pee-ewe! Even if I could see I wouldn’t be able to!”
“I know! Isn’t it great!”
“No!” Toph said in a disbelieving tone.
“Oh, I’m sorry! You see Toph this is a special blend of face paint that if you’re not used to, the smell will cause you eyes to water until you can’t see. The warriors of my tribe use it in battle in case the enemy gets too close. It causes the enemies’ eyes to water thus throwing the battle in our favor or allowing the warrior to escape.” She paused. “You’ll get used to it… in about a week.”
“A week!”
“Yes, after a week smelling this every day you‘ll be fine with it. And then if you ever smell it again you won’t have any problems. Everyone in the Southern Water Tribe has to learn how to make it. I learned when I was six. My father called it the smell and quell.”
“You‘re from the Sothern Water Tribe?”
“Yes.”
“What’s it like there?”
“It’s cold and icy and snowy. But it was nice, everyone was our family, even if they weren’t. Even when we had disagreements with ourselves we were unified when anyone on the outside tried to break through. We were attacked and that’s why my brother and I left. The entire tribe spilt for protection. I have heard most all of them have returned. I would like to too, but I refuse to without my brother.”
“What happened to your brother?”
“I don’t know, we got separated a long time ago. This necklace,” she tugged at something through her clothes, at her thigh, a stone with a ribbon attached hit the floor. “Is all I have of my home, my people, my family… my mother.” Katara said my mother in a reverenced tone. Picking up the necklace she handed it to Toph to see.
Toph felt the indentations and the soft buckskin ribbon. “Someone put a lot of effort into this.”
Katara sighed. “My Gran-Gran was going to tell me who made it someday, but I haven’t seen her since I had to leave. She might not even be alive anymore.” Toph handed the beloved trinket back to Katara. Katara untied the blue-buckskin ribbon while going back to the barrel of paint she was making. She studied the ribbon and stone so long you might think she had never seen it before. But Toph knew better, she could tell that Katara was reliving bitter-sweet moments that seemed forever gone, but never to fade.
Toph heard the sound of teardrops hitting the floor. That was all, no breaths aside from her own. Katara was slowly folding over. Toph became very nervous. ‘How is it possible for her to hold her breath this long?’ Finally Toph couldn’t stand more. “Breathe Katara, breathe!” Toph screamed at her.
Katara took a deep breath that forced her strait and dried the tears in her tear ducts. “I’m ok Toph.”
Seconds later there was a pounding on the door it was a neighbor, the mother they were secretly providing money to. “Are you two alright in there?!?” she yelled through at them.
“Yes, Mrs. Golden.” called Katara, “I was just having a hard time breathing but I’m better now. Thank you!”
“Are you sure you’re okay?”
“Yes Ma’am.”
“Okay then…” Mrs. Golden left the hall.
“I’m sorry I worried you Toph.”
“You should be!”
Katara smiled at Toph’s brave front and tucked the necklace away.
A few minutes later after taking a brief walk for the fresh air Toph stuck her nose back in the room. “Why are you making that stuff anyway?”
“Because that Blue Spirit almost saw my face. And if he can get that close then he or someone else can do so again. I’ll not be baring my identity without a fighting chance.”
“And if it blinds him and he gets caught, then how would you feel.”
Katara looked away. “A thief must always expect the net, how else do they avoid it? If he is unprepared for the net then he is not a worthy thief and I shalln’t need to bother with him.”
Toph sighed. She knew in her heart that should Katara be the cause of his capture she would not rest until she had him freed. The guilt would eat her alive if she didn’t. She whispered the word, “Liar.” before leaving again.
Toph poked her head back in again. “I’m going to go see if I can get some info on those remaining paintings.” Then she left not to come back for hours.
Katara went back to working on the paint, she was almost to the end of adding the ingredients. The paint would turn red after the next few ingredients.
While she was out Toph wandered listening to random people gossip about random things. She was hoping to catch Zuko in the act again, but she got distracted. Someone who’s steps she knew well was strolling ahead. And he was alone.
She smirked. ‘Mai Ling’ was about to have fun.
The boy was distracted and didn’t notice her as she passed him. Or when she tripped him. Out of instinct he tucked and twirled along the ground. He was soon upright again.
“Very graceful, Twinkle-toes. Are you a closet dancer or something?”
He turned towards her with a jerk. “Mai Ling!” Aang rubbed his arm awkwardly. “You saw that?”
“No.” She waved her hand before her eyes. “But I felt you trip over me and could hear you tumble. And then stand again.”
“Your ears are that strong?” he asked awed.
“Of course.”
“Wow… Mai Ling you’re amazing!”
“I know.” ‘Mai Ling’ said smugly.
Walking through the shopping district with Aang was interesting. “Aang don’t you have errands to run or something? Aren’t you in a hurry?”
“No. I get to take a break day once a month. Sure, I have to get a few things but they can wait until closer to closing time.” Aang smiled a sheepish smile at her. “So I’m free to spend the day with you Mai Ling.” A feeling that can’t be explained told ‘Mai Ling’ that Aang would like to add ‘isn’t that great!’ but he wanted to come off as uninterested. ‘Mai Ling’ thought, ‘Twinkle-Toes you foolish boy.’
Aang spotted a store that he thought ‘Mai Ling’ might like because of the tough looking statues it housed. She would be able to see them with her hands. So he pulled ‘Mai Ling’ over to it.
First thing he did is pick up a seven or eight inch tall stone dragon statue and place it in ‘Mai Ling’s’ hands. “What do you think of this Mai Ling?”
She knew what it was when he placed it in her hands but she felt it a little to give the illusion of trying to see what it is. “It is very detailed but there is a fault line that fractures from the center. One drop and a proud owner gets a puzzle with many pieces and buyers remorse.”
“How can you tell that?”
“A little indentation that doesn’t work with the art. Why are you asking me?”
“I came her looking for a gift for my sister’s upcoming marriage. I was asked by my mother to buy them a home protector. So I have to find the right statue.” He paused and blushed. “I-I-I l-like spending time-m with y-you and trust your s-super-r judgment.”
She punched him, hard. “You sound like monkey-bird stuttering over your words like that.”
He blushed harder and ducked his head.
“Suck it up Twinkle-Toes. I’ll help you fine the prefect guardian for your sister’s new home.”
Before they left that little shop ‘Mai Ling’ must have held every statue in that place. And Aang came out with a well wrapped stone figure, ‘Mai Ling’ had found one in his price range that was very unlikely to shatter if dropped. It even had two small yellow gems for eyes.
Then they moved on and this time ‘Mai Ling’ lead them to where they were going next. “Twinkle-Toes I’m going to teach you a fine art…”
‘Why do I get the feeling we’re going to do something my mother will get mad at me for?’ thought Aang as ’Mai Ling’ ‘blindly’ led him through the streets with that amazing, avoiding ability of hers.
‘Mai Ling’ could tell that there was a place her parents would die if they knew she could tell what it was, ahead. She sighed. It was the worst establishment open this early, she was a little surprised it was open, but that didn’t stop her.
“Uh… Mai Ling that’s a…”
“I know Twinkle-Toes. And that’s where we’re going.”
“Oh boy, my mother’s going to kill me. Right after my father does.” He stared wide eyed up at the sign while going under it.
“Relax Twinkle-Toes if you parents find out you can tell them you followed me here.”
“I did follow you here.”
“Exactly.”
“I’m dead.”
“Well if we’re dead, then the spirit world is a delightful place.” She grinned at him and snickered in her mind.
Aang looked at her like she had gone insane.
311031103110311031103110311031103110311031103110311031103110311031103110 31103110311031103110
Here’s my gift to you for Halloween, the second chapter I put up today. Enjoy!

I hope to have the next one ready soon… No promises. Good night and Happy Halloween!