Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Zutara Tribute ❯ Denim ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: I've been reading all these other Zutara Week stories and now I'm all hyped up to write my own. Since it's so late in the week, I'm obviously not entered in the official contest, I'm just joining in all the Zutara love fun ^_^
 
This fic is modern day with no bending. It would just be too mean for Toph to go around blind with a cane or seeing eye-dog, so she isn't blind.
 
 
Denim
 
“Are you sure about this, Toph?”
 
“Completely, Sugarqueen. Now stop worrying and step out of that stall.” Toph was losing patients with this girl. She picked out a pair of pants for her and they looked good on Katara. Toph would be damned if those jeans weren't shown off in public.
 
“I think they're a size too small! People will think I'm a slut if I wear these!” Katara refused to wear these. She happened to believe in something called decency. These pants didn't even go over her hips!
 
“You've already said that, Sugarqueen and I've already argued against it. Now I've had enough and if you don't come out, I'll get you myself.” She crossed her arms across her chest and tapped her foot impatiently. “What's it going to be?”
 
Katara weighed her options as she leaned against the bathroom stall.
 
If she left the stall she'd be giving in to Toph and her attitude. Katara was not going to give her that victory and satisfaction. Not to mention the facts Toph would never let her live it down and she'd try and make Katara do something even worse next time.
 
But if Katara didn't leave the stall Toph would break in like the little bandit she is. That small girl had Herculean strength. She could easily rip the door off this bathroom stall. The mall would probably categorize that under vandalism and Toph could get a criminal record if she was caught. Or worse, Katara could get the bill for being the reason behind the broken door.
 
Leaving the stall was worse. Katara was going to take her chances. “I'm not leaving.”
 
“You asked for,” Toph said.
 
She turned around to face the sink behind her where her shoulder bag was sitting. Taking out her wallet, Toph grabbed her bank card and took it to the stall's lock. After jiggling it in the lock for a minute, the door opened.
 
Katara stood there stunned. “How did you…That's impossi…I knew getting you that spy technique book was a bad idea. You've taken them to a level that should never be discovered.”
 
“Ya ya. Enough with the compliments. Because of you we're late. Sokka and Aang should be in the mall's parking lot right now. So if you want to go to that dance before it ends you'd better get moving.”
 
Rushing out of the bathroom and down the halls, Katara felt the need to ask. I'm not going to like the answer, but… “Toph, why did you pick these jeans? Looking at them I start to wonder why I asked you to help me shop in the first place.”
 
“You asked me to come along because if you asked Suki, Sokka would have tagged along. Having Sokka around when you pick out clothes hasn't gone well in the past.”
 
Katara flinched at the memory. Last time she asked Suki to help her shop Sokka decided to come along and played the role of over protective brother. He didn't let Katara buy anything other than sweaters claiming everything else in the stores were too revealing for someone Katara's age.
 
“As for why I picked those jeans rather than a more—” Toph paused as she thought of a word. “—Conservative pair is simple. We had to give Sparky something to look at tonight.”
 
Katara blushed a deep red. She couldn't be that obvious. After all, she never talked to Zuko unless a snide remark was included, constantly called him Zuzu because it was his least favourite nickname, and whenever she did glance in his direction Katara made sure no one she knew was around.
 
Sneaky bandit.
 
All Toph's work was pointless. His royal highness, Lord Zuko—Katara rolled her eyes at the name—would never look twice in `peasant's' direction. They're like fire and water they don't mix.
 
But they do sustain each other.
 
Katara shook her head as she and her friend walked out the mall entrance. Don't kid yourself, Katara thought. This isn't Gran-Gran's mythology. That doesn't happen in real life.
 
When Katara started walking one way, Toph caught her arm and pulled her another. “Unless you have two brothers, you're going the wrong way.”
 
“Oh.” Katara said dumbly.
 
She froze about ten feet from Sokka's car. It wasn't just Sokka and Aang that were there, Zuko was too. He was standing there talking to her brother like he had every right to just appear wherever Katara was. This was not a part of the plan.
 
Toph walked up to were Aang was standing. “Don't look now Twinkletoes, but Sugarqueen is losing it.”
 
“What do you mean?” Aang asked.
 
“The whole way here she was blushing, rolling her eyes, and other gestures. I'm telling you, when someone starts having conversations or arguments with themselves, a straightjacket isn't far behind.”
 
“I'm sure you're exaggerating. Katara's fine. She must have something on her mind, that's all.”
 
“I hope you're right Twinkletoes. Something tells me Snoozles would make like Godzilla if that happened.” Toph leaned against the car hood and drifted off as the sun warmed her.
 
Sokka, realizing Toph was back, took a quick break from his conversation with Zuko and looked around for his younger sister. When he saw her standing like an idiot in the middle of the parking lot, Sokka motioned for her to join them.
 
“Hey, Katara, turns out Zuko's going to the dance so we're—What are you wearing?!”
 
The movement of her hips and legs drew attention to Katara's jeans. Sokka was horrified at them and was trying to think of a way to cover her up. Zuko on the other hand couldn't tear his eyes away.
 
When Katara noticed Zuko's stare she turned three shades of red. He could hear his Uncle's comments in his head. Zuko knew Iroh would never let him live this down had he seen it, but yet he kept staring.
 
“What's the matter, Zuzu? See something you like?” Katara smirked when she saw him turn away, his face turning a wonder shade a red. The Prince is so ashamed he's red. Poor baby, Katara mentally mocked him. Still, I wish…
 
Sokka glanced at Zuko suspiciously out of the corner of his eye. He better not do something he'll regret.
 
“No time for arguing you three. If we don't get going there won't be anymore pizza,” Aang said sprinting for the navigator seat. No way would he get the hump again.
 
“You're right, Aang. We've got to hurry. Man your vehicles!” Sokka said opening the driver's seat of his car.
 
“Give the heroic talk a rest, already,” Toph said slamming a door a Sokka's car.
 
Katara was reaching to open her door when Zuko pinned her to the side of the car, his mouth next to her ear. “I like everything,” he said in her ear.
 
“W-What?” Katara was stunned at their sudden closeness. Her body felt like a furnace. They never touched, let alone get this close and standing in the position she was in, she realized that was a good rule.
 
“You asked if I saw something I liked and I like everything I see. If it were up to me, you'd wear jeans like that all the time.”
 
Katara stood unmoving against the side of Sokka's car, watching as Zuko walked to his car and drove off.
 
“Did that really just happen?” Katara said to herself. She hand touched her ear and she could still feel the warmth of his breathe.
 
Inside the car, Toph snorted. “Told you she's losing it.”