Avatar The Last Airbender Fan Fiction ❯ Zutara Tribute ❯ Manipulative ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N: A different take on the hiring of Combustion Man or as I prefer to call him, Sparky Sparky Boom Man lol. Never gets old. This definitely is not my best written piece that's for sure. Be warned!
 
Manipulative
 
 
Being home in the royal palace felt surreal. It had been three years since he was banished and now everyone in the palace, including his father, were acting as if he had been there the whole time.
 
Still something wasn't right.
 
He had is father's love and his honour, but he still wasn't happy. He had every reason to be. A girlfriend, family, respect, and power.
 
Was getting all that worth what you left behind? Your uncle, the one person who has stuck by you, is in prison because of you. Sure you visit him, but he doesn't speak to you. What does that tell you? Zuko's conscience whispered.
 
“Quiet!” Zuko slammed his fist into the wall of the hallway.
 
And what of the girl?
 
Zuko looked out the window next to him and saw the crescent moon shining proudly amid the stars. Katara.
 
He closed his eyes and replayed the memory that day. In the cave they had shared so much about their mothers. In the end when she was rescued, I couldn't even look her in the eye. I wanted to, but the Avatar reminded me of all I'd done to them. Zuko thought.
 
I was ashamed.
 
In the end, when Zuko had ruined everything he and Katara achieved, her face was so angry and hurt. I wouldn't blame her if she never trusted me again. I just wish one day I could have a second chance.
 
“The cave…” Remembering something from the cave of Ba Sin Se, Zuko rushed off to find Azula.
 
`This is special wonder from the shrine at the North Pole. It has special properties and I've been saving it for something important.'
 
It all made sense. Azula knew the Avatar wasn't dead, that's why she let me take all the glory for his defeat. She told Father I was the one who stuck down the Avatar and sealed my fate. Once again I'll be the shamed and banished prince while she's the pride of the Fire Nation. Zuko was reminded that Azula always had the upper hand.
 
Zuko's conversation with Azula last night replayed in his head.
 
` “Why'd you do it?” He had said waking her up.
 
“You're going to have to be a little more specific.” Azula grunted.
 
“Why did you tell Father that I was the one who killed the Avatar?”
 
“Can't this wait until morning?”
 
“It can't.”
 
Fine,” she said. You seemed so worried about how Father would treat you because you didn't have the avatar, so I figured if I gave you the credit, you'd have nothing to worry about.”
 
“But why?”
 
Call it a generous gesture. I wanted to thank you for your help and I was happy to share the glory.”
 
“You're lying.”
 
If you say so.”
 
You have another motive for doing this, I just haven't figured out what it is.”
 
Please, Zuko, what ulterior motive could I have? What could I possibly gain by letting you have all the glory for beating the avatar? Unless, somehow, the Avatar was actually still alive. All that glory would suddenly turn to shame and foolishness. But you said so yourself, that was impossible. “
 
“Goodnight Zuzu.
 
On the boat ride back to the home, Zuko had spent the night wondering if things had changed and if he himself had changed. He had, but he wasn't the only one. Azula had changed for the worse. She had learned how to control and manipulate the actions of anyone she chooses. “Lucky me, I get to be her favourite toy.” Zuko said aloud.
 
“You know Zuzu, people will get the wrong idea if you talk to yourself.”
 
Azula accessed Zuko's face. “You're still worrying about the Avatar, aren't you? A waste of energy. You said the Avatar couldn't still be alive, I suggest you move on with your life.”
 
Zuko didn't turn away from the window. “What will you do if the Avatar miraculously survived?”
 
“The answer is simple. I will pursue and kill him, along with his little girlfriend and other companions.”
 
Zuko's temper flared at this and he quickly turned to face his sister. “Leave Katara out of this!”
 
“My my. Did I touch a soft spot?” Azula taunted. “That Water Tribe girl couldn't actually mean something to you, could she now?”
 
“She doesn't. You shouldn't be involving innocent people in a plan like that, that's all,” Zuko said turning back the window. “Especially women and children.”
 
Azula at this point found looking at her nails to be a more interesting activity. “Well, that's one person's opinion. I suggest you change it. That was the kind of thinking that had you banished in the first place, wasn't it, Zuzu?”
 
He tried to contain his anger, but bit of it escaped to appear on his face. His father and Azula's was the kind of thinking that had caused all the unnecessary horrors of this war. Had his family really become so twisted? How had Zuko escaped that fate?
 
Mother. Zuko felt his face soften when he thought of her. His mother had been the reason why he turned out different than the rest of his family. Then one day she vanished in the night, leaving him to fend for himself. That memory had a dreamlike quality form being half asleep at the time.
 
Zuko was brought out of his mind by a sigh from Azula.
 
“Worried or not, you can't leave the castle to search for yourself. If the Avatar is alive you'll have to take the consequences like a big boy. After all, no one likes a cry baby Zuzu.”
 
Azula turned away from Zuko with a short chuckle. “Goodnight, Zuzu,” she said walking down the hall. A smirk planted on her face the entire walk to her room.
 
Azula's right. I can't kill the Avatar myself, but I know of a certain assassin you could easily track and kill him for me. With the right pay the Avatar will be dead and no one else.
 
Following the same hall his younger sister had, Zuko wore a triumphant smile on his face throughout the walk to his own bedroom.
 
Zuko would arrange for a meeting with the assassin tomorrow night. Azula's will or not, the Avatar will die and his father would be none the wiser.
 
* * *
 
Katara was readying water for Aang's next healing treatment as Aang caught up on his sleep and Sokka lay down to join him. All of a sudden Aang woke up with a start. Katara was instantly at his side in case his injuries were the cause of his sudden awakening. She rested a hand on his shoulder, “What's wrong Aang?”
 
“I just had a feeling that someone was planning something really bad for me.”
 
Sokka snorted where he lay, “That's old news, Aang. Someone always has something bad planned for you,” Sokka yawned. “Now lay down and go back to sleep,” he said his voice heavy with sleep.
 
“Thanks, Sokka. I feel a lot better now,” Aang said sarcastically.
 
“Don't worry about it, Aang,” Katara gently told him. “Whatever happens we'll be here to help you. Just relax and go back to sleep. No one can't hurt you here.”
 
“Aang nodded. “I guess you're right, Katara.” He rested his head on his pillow and closed his eyes. He would have to pass that bridge when it comes.