Azumanga Daioh Fan Fiction ❯ Left Behind ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
The bell rang, signaling the end of another day in Class 3. As usual, Chiyo and Tomo gathered around Yomi's desk, while Osaka spaced out where she was, mind wandering to realms that few see and still remain intact enough to describe, and Sakaki gathered her things and stared out the window, daydreaming, until the others were ready to leave.

"We should go do something this evening," Tomo said, twirling a pen in her hand expertly, "It's been a long day."

"Well, I don't have swim practice today, so it'd be perfect." Kagura said, coming over to them.

"Ah! I know!" Chiyo said happily, "There's that cute new anime that just came out, and I've been wanting to see it." She giggled a bit at the thought of going to a movie with her high school friends.

"Oh, yeah," Said Yomi, "I think I heard about that, It supposed to be really cute."

"Well," said Kagura, stepping towards the door, "somebody grab Osaka and let's go!"

"I may know just what to do," Said Tomo, a gleam in her eye. "Hey Osaka!" She called out, causing Osaka to look her way.

"What is it?" Osaka's melodic voice drifted past them like a mist.

"Fetch!" With that, Tomo flung the pen in her hand out the open classroom door. Osaka happily complied, running after the thrown item laughing softly.

Everyone but Tomo was speechless at the sight. "C'mon, let's go!" She chirped, standing up. The others followed her out.

Meanwhile, Sakaki gazed out the window, watching the clouds float by, daydreaming, floating, almost, from the happy thoughts of having friends to share experiences with, when a group of people in the schoolyard caught her eye.

It only took her a moment to recognize Tomo, Yomi, and the others, heading out.

"They left.." She said slowly. Sakaki walked over to a desk and sat down heavily. "They just.. left." She could feel the tears forming behind her eyes.

A heavy sense of loneliness descended over her, and everything around seemed to fade into darkness.

Memories drifted by her, one by one, dissolving painfully into the dark. All the good times that they had had together..

First one tear, then another, and another began tracing their way down her cheeks.

Suddenly a voice pierced the stillness of the classroom.

"MIss Sakaki!" Chiyo-chan started forward, then stopped, noticing the tears forming rivers down Sakaki's face. "What's wrong, Miss Sakaki?"

Sakaki blinked and turned towards the sound, noticing for the first time that there was someone else there. "You're still here...?"

Tomo's voice sounded out from the doorway, "Come on, Sakaki, we don't have all day, you know!"

Chiyo piped up, "Come on, Miss Sakaki! We're all going to a movie!"

A warm feeling flooded through Sakaki, energizing her entire body. Her tears doubled, only now she was smiling through them. She reached forward and pulled Chiyo into a tight hug.

"Thank you so very much!" She half-shouted.

"Are you coming or not?" Demanded Tomo.

Sakaki nodded in reply, and started off to catch up with the others.

No, she corrected herself..

With her friends.